Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to do it/not to do it

Options
  • 14-08-2012 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice from those who have decided to go abroad.. and also to those that may have decided against it.

A bit about me. 26 years old, working full time in a good job since leaving college. not particularly unhappy in that job either and am lucky enough to have potential to move up in the company in the future too. My girlfriend is in a similar enough position at the moment too. We are happy in our jobs.

Part of us feels like we are missing out by not taking on an adventure although now just seems like a ridiculous time to leave given the job security etc we have. Not home owners but renting atm.

Just curious has anyone been in our situation before? Why did you leave? Why did you stay?

Suppose location is irrelevant and it would probably be a year before we could get visa and things all organised but at the moment we woul dbe favouring Canada (Vancouver)

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Would you consider continental Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

If your unsure Continental Europe would be a good choice to see how you fare living away from home, 26 is pretty young and you'll have plenty of time to travel

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

26 is young. But it's also a great age to do this. The older you get the more 'ties' you have and the harder it becomes to take on those big adventures. I think we need to pin down our plans. Put names, locations and expectations down on paper. Include reasonable expectations. Fail safes, & what's the worst that can happen... then if you still want to go... us the year you have mentioned to save like crazy to finance the cushion you will need when you get there, and the cushion you might like to have should you need to come back too. I'm guessing though... you both have family here to fall back on. Go for it and enjoy I'd say. (This is the advice I am giving to myself here right now anyway!!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

If you want to go and don't you may always regret what might have been.

Go before you have children would be my advice! Also some countries may have age limits for visas so check this out.

It might seem scary/silly to leave a good job but maybe you don't have to. Many companies offer career breaks/sabbaticals which may allow you time to explore life abroad with the fallback of returning to your job if you wish. Alternatively if you work for an international company there may be opportunites to relocate within the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the feedback.. i am thinking about all of what you were saying which I suppose means i am on the right track and thinking clearly enough!

I am not too sure about continental Europe, neither of us would have a second language with the exception of (unused) leaving cert standard. We did toy with the idea of London but to me that wouldn't really change much and i would rather stay in Ireland if that was the case.

I do work for an international company but they are not handing out career breaks as often as they did before. Strangely enough the company is doing well so they need people at the moment.

Definitely agree with the whole regretting it in the future i am already slightly bitter i didn't travel after college but with a solid job offer it didn't seem wise to go. Which is why i am thinking so hard this time round as i think it could be our last shot before potentially settling down etc in a few years.

Thanks again folks, still not decided, but it helps to draw on others experience.

• Advertisement

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the feedback.. i am thinking about all of what you were saying which I suppose means i am on the right track and thinking clearly enough!

I am not too sure about continental Europe, neither of us would have a second language with the exception of (unused) leaving cert standard. We did toy with the idea of London but to me that wouldn't really change much and i would rather stay in Ireland if that was the case.

I do work for an international company but they are not handing out career breaks as often as they did before. Strangely enough the company is doing well so they need people at the moment.

Definitely agree with the whole regretting it in the future i am already slightly bitter i didn't travel after college but with a solid job offer it didn't seem wise to go. Which is why i am thinking so hard this time round as i think it could be our last shot before potentially settling down etc in a few years.

Thanks again folks, still not decided, but it helps to draw on others experience.

Plenty of people move (including me) to the Continent without a second language, its the best way to learn a second language ;)

Easiest place to get by without learning the Language would be the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

What's the work situation like there Keith if I may ask?

What's the work situation like there Keith if I may ask?

Pretty much business as usual, doesn't seem any different to 5 years ago.

Although these days your much better off as a contractor, companies with headcount freezes are hiring contractors instead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op can you transfer to another country with your company?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Can transfer, although it is easier said than done. May well look into that option to be honest - Has been known to be a long drawn out affair though, especially at the moment as they do not want to be losing people.

Will keep the discussions going anyway, try and weigh up pros and cons and come to a decision. I do think I am young enough that if it doesn't work out and it is only a year i will still have 5-6 years exp (by the time i would leave) and would still be under 30 when i came back so maybe it is worth taking a punt on..

• Advertisement
Advertisement