Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Under 21 hurling

• 14-08-2012 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭

So it's down to the semi finals.

Who do ye see winning from here.

Galway v Kilkenny
    Clare v Antrim

With respect we'll just discount Antrim immediately.

Kilkenny- Won Leinster comfortably and played some great hurling on the way. The problem is that they haven't really been tested yet. Only 4 senior panellists (although Tipp well and truly showed this is not always a disadvantage). Still any team with the likes of Walter Walsh, Cillian Buckley, Richie Doyle, Kevin kelly, Padraig Walsh and Ger Aylward amongst others will take beating

Clare- A lot of players who played senior championship this year, showed great character to oust Tipp in injury time. Will be game as ever but are inferior to Galway/Kilkenny imo. Still though are virtually guaranteed a place in the final so anything could happen there. McGrath is the main man, but Morey, O'Connor, Kelly and galvin are great hurlers in their own right. McInerney is not a patch on what he was but still a great option from the bench.

Galway- In my opinion Galway are the team to beat and are favourites in my eyes. Call me biased but I can't see past them. Minor champs 09, reigning under 21 champions (with loads still underage) and a staggering 14 players on the panel of 26 that faced Cork in the senior semi final on Sunday. (4 starters 10 subs). Daithi Burke who will be Galway centre back next year is another huge player at their disposal at full back. It will be almost impossible for Cunningham to find his best 15. With players playing for positions in the AI final they should be on a mission v Kilkenny saturday week. Saying that could the senior be a distraction? Key players Joe Cooney, Darragh Burke, Paul Huban, Daithi Burke Johnny Coen in the backs Padraig Breheny midfield, Niall Burke, Conor Cooney, johnny Glynn, James Regan, David Glennon in the forwards.

What do ye all reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

cgpg5 wrote: »

Galway- In my opinion Galway are the team to beat and are favourites in my eyes. Call me biased but I can't see past them. Minor champs 09, reigning under 21 champions (with loads still underage) and a staggering 14 players on the panel of 26 that faced Cork in the senior semi final on Sunday. (4 starters 10 subs). Daithi Burke who will be Galway centre back next year is another huge player at their disposal at full back. It will be almost impossible for Cunningham to find his best 15. With players playing for positions in the AI final they should be on a mission v Kilkenny saturday week. Saying that could the senior be a distraction? Key players Joe Cooney, Darragh Burke, Paul Huban, Daithi Burke Johnny Coen in the backs Padraig Breheny midfield, Niall Burke, Conor Cooney, johnny Glynn, James Regan, David Glennon in the forwards.

What do ye all reckon?

I reckon, down with this kind of talk for a start! We've had too much of it in the past. Unsure if all the afore-mentioned are actually underage, esp. Niall Burke, Regan, Glennon. I'd like to see a couple of more forwards emerging to stake a place, similarly to Glennon and Niall Burke last year. Is Tadgh Haran underage? Bernard Burke? (Is he still on the Senior panel?) Looking forward to seeing Daithi Burke play, impressive thus far for Turlough' this year. Be interesting to see what will happen in our match with KK if KK win the Senior next Sunday. Will it be a cagey game or will it be hell for leather?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

So it's down to the semi finals.

Who do ye see winning from here.

Galway v Kilkenny
    Clare v Antrim

With respect we'll just discount Antrim immediately.

Kilkenny- Won Leinster comfortably and played some great hurling on the way. The problem is that they haven't really been tested yet. Only 4 senior panellists (although Tipp well and truly showed this is not always a disadvantage). Still any team with the likes of Walter Walsh, Cillian Buckley, Richie Doyle, Kevin kelly, Padraig Walsh and Ger Aylward amongst others will take beating

Clare- A lot of players who played senior championship this year, showed great character to oust Tipp in injury time. Will be game as ever but are inferior to Galway/Kilkenny imo. Still though are virtually guaranteed a place in the final so anything could happen there. McGrath is the main man, but Morey, O'Connor, Kelly and galvin are great hurlers in their own right. McInerney is not a patch on what he was but still a great option from the bench.

What do ye all reckon?

Are you being serious? Ive seen Antrim play this year and they have a serious U21 team! They will beat Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

MfMan wrote: »
    I reckon, down with this kind of talk for a start! We've had too much of it in the past. Unsure if all the afore-mentioned are actually underage, esp. Niall Burke, Regan, Glennon. I'd like to see a couple of more forwards emerging to stake a place, similarly to Glennon and Niall Burke last year. Is Tadgh Haran underage? Bernard Burke? (Is he still on the Senior panel?) Looking forward to seeing Daithi Burke play, impressive thus far for Turlough' this year. Be interesting to see what will happen in our match with KK if KK win the Senior next Sunday. Will it be a cagey game or will it be hell for leather?

They all are underage. Fact. Won a minor all Ireland in 2009 sure.

Haran is underage too will play midfield/half forward. bernard Burke is overage alright but he's still on the extended senior panel.

The fact that Galway have senior panellists that won't start on under 21 is incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Are you being serious? Ive seen Antrim play this year and they have a serious U21 team! They will beat Clare

You're possibly the worst effort I've ever seen here as a troll and we do get some very 'special' people around this time of the year :rolleyes:

They all are underage. Fact. Won a minor all Ireland in 2009 sure.

Haran is underage too will play midfield/half forward. bernard Burke is overage alright but he's still on the extended senior panel.

The fact that Galway have senior panellists that won't start on under 21 is incredible

Clare have the same, is it not also a bit of an inditement to the strenght in depth of the Senior panel? I'm not saying it is by the way just a genuine question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Anyone have the dates, times and venues for these games particularly the Galway one?

Clare have the same, is it not also a bit of an inditement to the strenght in depth of the Senior panel? I'm not saying it is by the way just a genuine question.

Clare have just the one? Who, with respect has gone off quite an amount since he started last year.

Could be. I think the Galway senior bench is lacking in terms of experience, like say Cork, but not ability. These are all very good young hurlers in their own right. This is an All Ireland final team remember.

Clare have just the one? Who, with respect has gone off quite an amount since he started last year.

Could be. I think the Galway senior bench is lacking in terms of experience, like say Cork, but not ability. These are all very good young hurlers in their own right. This is an All Ireland final team remember.

Yeah I fully understand what Cunningham is doing and I think he is 100% right, but I guess the point I was getting at though is how many of the Galway Senior subs (which is the majority of the u21 team) would actually make the Kilkenny or Tipp Senior panels, like when people were previewing the Munster final, they kept saying shur Clare have X amount of senior and Tipp have only one sub who has never seen any game time, they seemed to missing the fact that they weren't actually comparing like with like.

We really have no idea what Galeway will be like in the u21, they dont know themselves, u21 bears no resemblence to minor, so all they have to go on is challenge matches, I have seen them twice both against Tipp and I obviously seen Tipp against Clare and also KK in a challenge also, there was nothing between any of them tbh, Clare have bags of ability but I fear they may struggle physically, that said Semple Stadium will suit them.

TBP wrote: »
    Anyone have the dates, times and venues for these games particularly the Galway one?

Not fixed yet but expected to be the w/e of the 25th/26th assuming Tipp and KK doesn't go to a replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

These games are on Saturday week. I'd imagine Galway v Kilkenny in Thurles and Clare v Antrim in Parnell Park. Going on previous years you're probably looking at an afternoon throw-in rather than evening, so 3-4pm maybe. Galway v Kilkenny will presumably be on TG4.

• Advertisement

Yeah I fully understand what Cunningham is doing and I think he is 100% right, but I guess the point I was getting at though is how many of the Galway Senior subs (which is the majority of the u21 team) would actually make the Kilkenny or Tipp Senior panels, like when people were previewing the Munster final, they kept saying shur Clare have X amount of senior and Tipp have only one sub who has never seen any game time, they seemed to missing the fact that they weren't actually comparing like with like.

We really have no idea what Galeway will be like in the u21, they dont know themselves, u21 bears no resemblence to minor, so all they have to go on is challenge matches, I have seen them twice both against Tipp and I obviously seen Tipp against Clare and also KK in a challenge also, there was nothing between any of them tbh, Clare have bags of ability but I fear they may struggle physically, that said Semple Stadium will suit them.

Yeah good point. Clare may have several players staring on the senior team but these wouldn't make the Tipp or Kilkenny senior team. A fair amount of Kilkenny under 21's would start on Clare/Galway senior team too.

Saying that this is an exceptional Galway side. However I'd doubt they are really training (senior is their priority). They may have played challenges but frankly none of those players will feature saturday week. Under21 can be hard to call we shall wait and see

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I agree with most that Galway are the team to beat in this, but I'll give my opinion on Clare :)

Clare weren't expected to beat Tipp this year, but they won our first close championship game in a long time in the Park and will hopefully push on from here. I agree that Antrim will be no walk over, hopefully we'll get over this and once you're in a final you have a chance. This is only Clare's second Munster title ever, we have a 100% record in the All Ireland series at this grade and this team were close to a minor All Ireland a couple of years ago.

Clareman wrote: »
    I agree with most that Galway are the team to beat in this, but I'll give my opinion on Clare :)

Clare weren't expected to beat Tipp this year, but they won our first close championship game in a long time in the Park and will hopefully push on from here. I agree that Antrim will be no walk over, hopefully we'll get over this and once you're in a final you have a chance. This is only Clare's second Munster title ever, we have a 100% record in the All Ireland series at this grade and this team were close to a minor All Ireland a couple of years ago.

What?? Clare were almost unbackable favourites, Tipp were massive underdogs in all three of their u21 games this year, infact Clare were 1/3 and have been favourites for the AI since day one.

And Antrim will be a formality, there was even talk of them withdrawing, like they have in the Intermediate such is the lack of interest.

I like the slant that Clare have a 100% record outside Munster at u21 level, I prefer to put it that Clare have only ever in the history of u21 hurling won two games outside of Munster ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The joys of statistics are that they can be slanted anyway you want ;)

I thought Tipp were favorites, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Its erroneous who were favourites and who were not. If Cork had a full team they would have beaten Tipp

Its erroneous who were favourites and who were not. If Cork had a full team they would have beaten Tipp

Yeah Galway are outsiders for AI yet are the best team left. If they turn up they should win it.

Limerick were hot faves v Tipp too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

1. Fergal Flannery
    2. Paul Hoban
    3. Daithi Burke
    4. Darragh Burke
    5. Brian Flaherty
    6. Joseph Cooney
    7. Johnny Coen
    8. Padraic Brehony
    9. Conor Cooney
    10. Jonathan Glynn
    11. Niall Burke
    12. James Regan
    13. Tadgh Haran
    14. Richie Cummins
    15. Davy Glennon

All those in bold are in the senior panel

That could be in or around the Galway team, even leaving out county senior panelists Shane Maloney and lads who were on the training panel like Jason Grealish and Mark Horan.

Daithi Burke is the only player on the starting team there not in the senior panel, and he is a supremely talented hurler who has turned down offers to be in the senior panel for the last 2 years.

1. Fergal Flannery
    2. Paul Hoban
    3. Daithi Burke
    4. Darragh Burke
    5. Brian Flaherty
    6. Joseph Cooney
    7. Johnny Coen
    8. Padraic Brehony
    9. Conor Cooney
    10. Jonathan Glynn
    11. Niall Burke
    12. James Regan
    13. Tadgh Haran
    14. Richie Cummins
    15. Davy Glennon

That could be in or around the Galway team, even leaving out county senior panelists Shane Maloney and lads who were on the training panel like Jason Grealish and Mark Horan.

Daithi Burke is the only player on the starting team there not in the senior panel, and he is a supremely talented hurler who has turned down offers to be in the senior panel for the last 2 years.
    Super team don't think Richie will start though and Fla will be midfield. Donie Fox is another senior panellist who won't start.

10. Glynn 11. N. Burke 12. Haran 13. Regan 14. Cooney 15. Glennon will be forwards I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Should be Clare v Galway final, but Kilkenny won't be far away. Would be surprised if Antrim beat Clare.
    Clare were lucky to beat Tipp and showed alot of flaws that night. Certainly it takes the hype out of them and that will suit. Wouldn't write them off.

From HoganStand

"The semi-finals of the All-Ireland U21HC will take place as a double header in Thurles on Saturday 25 August.

Munster champions Clare will be the hottest of favourites against Antrim, with that game throwing in at 4pm.

Galway will play Kilkenny in the big game of the day at 6pm.

It has also been confirmed that the All-Ireland JFC final between Mayo and Kerry will be played on the same day in Cusack Park Ennis at 2.30pm."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

1. Fergal Flannery
    2. Paul Hoban
    3. Daithi Burke
    4. Darragh Burke
    5. Brian Flaherty
    6. Joseph Cooney
    7. Johnny Coen
    8. Padraic Brehony
    9. Conor Cooney
    10. Jonathan Glynn
    11. Niall Burke
    12. James Regan
    13. Tadgh Haran
    14. Richie Cummins
    15. Davy Glennon

Very strong Galway team alright although with with so many of them involved with the seniors it might be easy for them to become distracted over the next while. Just look at Limerick in the U-21 earlier in the Summer when they were strong favourites to beat an unfancied Tipp at home and flopped on the night really.

Very strong Galway team alright although with with so many of them involved with the seniors it might be easy for them to become distracted over the next while. Just look at Limerick in the U-21 earlier in the Summer when they were strong favourites to beat an unfancied Tipp at home and flopped on the night really.

Yeah. That Limerick didn't have near as many seniors as Galway have though. For the record it's looking like the team will shape up like this:

Flannery; Huban, Daithi, Conor Burke/John Breheny; Joe Cooney, Johnny Coen, Darragh Burke; Donie Fox, Jason Grealish; Johnny Glynn, Niall Burke, Conor Cooney; James Regan, Tadhg Haran, Davy Glennon.

Incredibly strong

Galway Under 21 team:

Fergal Flannery
    Brian Flaherty
    Daithi Burke
    Jason Grealish
    Johnny Coen
    Darragh Burke
    Joseph Cooney
    Padraig Brehony
    Tadhg Haran
    Richie Commins
    Niall Burke
    James Regan
    Conor Cooney
    Jonathan Glynn
    Davy Glennon

Now I'll eat my hat if they line out like that.

At a guess I'd imagine;
    Flan; Darragh Burke, Daithi, Johnny Coen; Grealish, Fla, Cooney; Tadhg, Breheny; Cooney, N.Burke, Glynn; Cummins, Regan, Glennon

That has been taken from GalwayGAA but positions are severely messed up I'd think. Still some 15 though. All bar one on the senior panel. Substitutes Donie Fox, Shane Maloney and Paul Huban are the unlucky 3 senior panellists to lose out.

These three plus the likes of Jamie Ryan, Dean Higgins, Cormac Diviney, Cathal Greaney and Mark Horan make the subs bench

Good to see Richie Cummins back in some form. This team will surely be too strong for anyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

J Coen is under 21? :eek:

Wow, the way he's been playing for the seniors has been brilliant.

Prick! wrote: »
    J Coen is under 21? :eek:

Wow, the way he's been playing for the seniors has been brilliant.

Yeah indeed, shoe in for YPOTY really!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Yeah indeed, shoe in for YPOTY really!

All star aswell surely? Been the standout player against KK and Cork for me.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Johnny-The-Vacuum-Coen/473244842685887

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Strong team there. Really looking forward to this, travelling down to Thurles tomorrow evening.

I'll post the Kilkenny team once I hear it.

I fancy Kilkenny's chances here a lot even though they are up against a great Galway team.

Mulrooney is a great manager who was over most of the Kilkenny lads at Minor.

Do Antrim have any chance at all against Clare? I'll probably be down early so will head along to that match too.

EDIT: Kilkenny team:

1 Dylan Walsh Thomastown

2 Jason Corcoran John Lockes

3 Willie Phelan Dunnamaggin

4 Brian Kennedy St. Lachtain’s

5 Luke Harney Kilmacow

6 Richie Doyle Barrow Rangers

7 Joe Lyng Rower Inistioge

8 Geoff Brennan St. Patricks

9 Ollie Walsh Dicksboro

10 Kevin Kelly (Capt.) St. Patricks

11 Padraig Walsh Tullaroan

12 Cillian Buckley Dicksboro

13 Walter Walsh Tullogher Rosbercon

14 John Power Carrickshock

15 Ger Aylward Glenmore

16 Richie Reid Ballyhale Shamrocks

17 Owen McGrath John Lockes

18 Cathal Kenny Barrow Rangers

19 Ian Duggan Mullinavat

20 Martin Gaffney Dicksboro

21 Paul Buggy Tullaroan

22 James Cassin Rower Inistioge

23 Michael Brennan St. Patricks

24 James Gannon St. Patricks

25 Pat O’Carroll Lisdowney

EXTENDED PANEL MEMBERS:
    26 Sean Phelan Lisdowney.

27 Stephen Staunton St. Patricks.

28 Conor Tobin Fenians.

29 Johnny Hayes Kilmacow.

30 David Glynn Dicksboro.

31 Paddy Butler O’Loughlin Gaels.

32 Danny Kenny Dicksboro.

33 Canice Maher St. Martins.

34 Sean Kehoe Young Irelands.

35 Robert Lennon Bennettsbridge.

TEAM MANAGEMENT:
    Richie Mulrooney, Adrian Finan & Brían Ryan.
    Team Doctor: Dr. Bill Cuddihy. Team Physio.: Martin Phelan.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Strong team there. Really looking forward to this, travelling down to Thurles tomorrow evening.

I'll post the Kilkenny team once I hear it.

I fancy Kilkenny's chances here a lot even though they are up against a great Galway team.

Mulrooney is a great manager who was over most of the Kilkenny lads at Minor.

Do Antrim have any chance at all against Clare? I'll probably be down early so will head along to that match too.

EDIT: Kilkenny team:

1 Dylan Walsh Thomastown

2 Jason Corcoran John Lockes

3 Willie Phelan Dunnamaggin

4 Brian Kennedy St. Lachtain’s

5 Luke Harney Kilmacow

6 Richie Doyle Barrow Rangers

7 Joe Lyng Rower Inistioge

8 Geoff Brennan St. Patricks

9 Ollie Walsh Dicksboro

10 Kevin Kelly (Capt.) St. Patricks

11 Padraig Walsh Tullaroan

12 Cillian Buckley Dicksboro

13 Walter Walsh Tullogher Rosbercon

14 John Power Carrickshock

15 Ger Aylward Glenmore

16 Richie Reid Ballyhale Shamrocks

17 Owen McGrath John Lockes

18 Cathal Kenny Barrow Rangers

19 Ian Duggan Mullinavat

20 Martin Gaffney Dicksboro

21 Paul Buggy Tullaroan

22 James Cassin Rower Inistioge

23 Michael Brennan St. Patricks

24 James Gannon St. Patricks

25 Pat O’Carroll Lisdowney

EXTENDED PANEL MEMBERS:
    26 Sean Phelan Lisdowney.

27 Stephen Staunton St. Patricks.

28 Conor Tobin Fenians.

29 Johnny Hayes Kilmacow.

30 David Glynn Dicksboro.

31 Paddy Butler O’Loughlin Gaels.

32 Danny Kenny Dicksboro.

33 Canice Maher St. Martins.

34 Sean Kehoe Young Irelands.

35 Robert Lennon Bennettsbridge.

TEAM MANAGEMENT:
    Richie Mulrooney, Adrian Finan & Brían Ryan.
    Team Doctor: Dr. Bill Cuddihy. Team Physio.: Martin Phelan.

Cracker in store. A lot of those Kilkenny lads look familiar from the minor team (AI champions) in 2010. For the record from the Galway 15 that won minor in 2009 10 start here. Also there are 7 that started in last years under 21 final (Cummins was injured, Fla was abroad, Daithi didn't play and J.Cooney didn't play). 3 also off last years minor All Ireland winning side. Shane Maloney on bench.

I'd expect Clare to not only beat Antrim but to demolish them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Galway Under 21 team:

Fergal Flannery
    Brian Flaherty
    Daithi Burke
    Jason Grealish
    Johnny Coen
    Darragh Burke
    Joseph Cooney
    Padraig Brehony
    Tadhg Haran
    Richie Commins
    Niall Burke
    James Regan
    Conor Cooney
    Jonathan Glynn
    Davy Glennon

Now I'll eat my hat if they line out like that.

At a guess I'd imagine;
    Flan; Darragh Burke, Daithi, Johnny Coen; Grealish, Fla, Cooney; Tadhg, Breheny; Cooney, N.Burke, Glynn; Cummins, Regan, Glennon

That has been taken from GalwayGAA but positions are severely messed up I'd think. Still some 15 though. All bar one on the senior panel. Substitutes Donie Fox, Shane Maloney and Paul Huban are the unlucky 3 senior panellists to lose out.

These three plus the likes of Jamie Ryan, Dean Higgins, Cormac Diviney, Cathal Greaney and Mark Horan make the subs bench

Good to see Richie Cummins back in some form. This team will surely be too strong for anyone

Don't get too carried away. They look strong on paper but too often have Galway teams failed to gel and have gotten a right turnover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 locked

all of galway team are senior panel

MfMan wrote: »
    Don't get too carried away. They look strong on paper but too often have Galway teams failed to gel and have gotten a right turnover.

This is arguably Galway's best under 21 team ever with no fewer than 17 senior panellists. It would take a major upset to beat them. Can't see anyone coming close but we'll see

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Pretty well set up for Kilkenny I would have thought.

I'm pretty sure it will at least be close. A lot of people seem to be expecting a hammering tomorrow.

Pretty well set up for Kilkenny I would have thought.

I'm pretty sure it will at least be close. A lot of people seem to be expecting a hammering tomorrow.

Na actually I do think Kilkenny can get close enough tbh. I know I said I can't see anyone coming close but looking at this Kilkenny team they are strong tbf. ALthough if Galway are to progress they'd make light work of Clare imo.

I'd say Galway and Kilkenny are both a good bit ahead of the rest at this grade a shame they're meeting in the semis!

Na actually I do think Kilkenny can get close enough tbh. I know I said I can't see anyone coming close but looking at this Kilkenny team they are strong tbf. ALthough if Galway are to progress they'd make light work of Clare imo.

I'd say Galway and Kilkenny are both a good bit ahead of the rest at this grade a shame they're meeting in the semis!

Think you are very much underestimating Clare there, they are a very good team and will give either team a good game in the final.

Think you are very much underestimating Clare there, they are a very good team and will give either team a good game in the final.

I didn't see Clare at all this year but they must be pretty decent given how many seniors they have, plus the fact that they beat a pretty good Tipp team.

• Advertisement

I didn't see Clare at all this year but they must be pretty decent given how many seniors they have, plus the fact that they beat a pretty good Tipp team.

Bear in mind bar McGrath and maybe Kelly none of these Clare under 21's would be near a Galway or Kilkenny senior team. SImilarly the majority of Kilkenny under 21's would start for Clare seniors.

On paper anyway Galway and Kilkenny are far superior. On top of that Clare were blessed to beat a lowly rated Tipp side in the Munster final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Would of been interesting to see how this Galway team would of faired against the Tipperary U21 team of a couple of years back.

I think the Tipp team of 2010 would of proved too strong but would of been an interesting game though

TheNap wrote: »
    Would of been interesting to see how this Galway team would of faired against the Tipperary U21 team of a couple of years back.

I think the Tipp team of 2010 would of proved too strong but would of been an interesting game though

Daithi Burke v Bonner Maher very intriguing! Had Maher been curtailed it wouldn't have been as much of a hammering that day I feel!

Would be a very intriguing game indeed

Clare: R. Taaffe, P. Flanagan, D. McInerney, K. Ryan, S. Morey, C. Ryan, P. O'Connor, C. Galvin, S. Golden, T. Kelly, P. Collins, A. Cunningham, C. O'Connell, C. McGrath, C. McInerney

Antrim: J. O'Mullan, R. McCloskey, R. Gillan, C. Morgan, J. Black, M. Donnelly, J. McCouaig, A. McKeown, S. McAfee, M. Devlin, S. Dobbin, K. McKiernan, N. Elliot, C. McCann, D. McCloskey

Kilkenny/Galway already posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I know I wouldn't read too much into a challenge game, but Clare anihilated Kilkenny in a challenge, they put 7 goals past them or something.

Going to be a Clare and Galway final I think.

• Advertisement

I know I wouldn't read too much into a challenge game, but Clare anihilated Kilkenny in a challenge, they put 7 goals past them or something.

Going to be a Clare and Galway final I think.

I agree, I wouldn't read anything into the challenge games, and we haven't seen Galway at all really and kilkenny had 2 easy games in Leinster so it's hard to judge.

Obviously you'd fancy Clare to win, and I think the other game will be close and will probably come down to whoever can get a bit of momentum in the last 10 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I agree, I wouldn't read anything into the challenge games, and we haven't seen Galway at all really and kilkenny had 2 easy games in Leinster so it's hard to judge.

Obviously you'd fancy Clare to win, and I think the other game will be close and will probably come down to whoever can get a bit of momentum in the last 10 mins.

True, Galway haven't played an Kilkenny are still a bit of an unknown quantity having not had any really stern tests, but I think the amount of Senior players Galway have in there panel suggests a strong team and I expect them to win that.

Yeah, they'll be favourites alright but Kilkenny have some quality players too who'd be senior panelists on most counties.

hopefully the weather isn't too bad and we get a cracking game.

Each of the last few years the U-21 championship has produced some of the best games of the summer, so hopefully that will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭caddy16

A puzzling arrogance I've noticed amongst some Galway folk in recent times, considering the decades that have past since their last senior all ireland. At least the Kilkennys, Tipps, Corks etc have success to back it up.

While I like most people would like to see a new team breaking through I think Kilkenny will teach ye a hurling lesson in a couple of weeks.
    I would expect Gal U21's to beat Kilkenny tomorrow but come the final it will be interesting to see the impact that the senior final may have had!

caddy16 wrote: »
    A puzzling arrogance I've noticed amongst some Galway folk in recent times, considering the decades that have past since their last senior all ireland. At least the Kilkennys, Tipps, Corks etc have success to back it up.

While I like most people would like to see a new team breaking through I think Kilkenny will teach ye a hurling lesson in a couple of weeks.
    I would expect Gal U21's to beat Kilkenny tomorrow but come the final it will be interesting to see the impact that the senior final may have had!

What are you on about I'm saying Galway should win under 21 cos of all the senior players involved and due to the fact they're reigning champ/this could well be their best under 21 team ever. What the hell do past senior AI's have to do with that?

There is already a thread for the senior AI final btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Clare: R. Taaffe, P. Flanagan, D. McInerney, K. Ryan, S. Morey, C. Ryan, P. O'Connor, C. Galvin, S. Golden, T. Kelly, P. Collins, A. Cunningham, C. O'Connell, C. McGrath, C. McInerney

Antrim: J. O'Mullan, R. McCloskey, R. Gillan, C. Morgan, J. Black, M. Donnelly, J. McCouaig, A. McKeown, S. McAfee, M. Devlin, S. Dobbin, K. McKiernan, N. Elliot, C. McCann, D. McCloskey

Kilkenny/Galway already posted.

Strong Clare team...I certainly wouldn't write them off.

I know Galway have a lot of seniors, but so did Limerick, and Tipp beat them fairly handily. And the majority of them had one a Munster title the year before.

But I was hugely impressed by Galvin for Clare in the game against Limerick, very good midfielder. Strong half-back line too and plenty of players in the forwards to get scores too- Conor McGrath is one of the best forwards around, Tony Kelly is an extremely talented young player and Cunningham is a handful too.

I'd expect them to beat Antrim, and wouldn't be surprised if they went on to win the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

caddy16 wrote: »

Sounds like a sore Clare man to me.

Look Galway may or may not win the All-Ireland (and they are probably up against the best team ever) but they are there which is the important thing and given the talent coming through hopefully they will remain there or thereabouts for the next few years.

Don't get the arrogant remark especially from Clare. Sure Clare lads were blowing all Summer last year about the Clare minor team that eventually collapsed to Galway in the semi-finals. Blowing again about their minor team that lost to Dublin last weekend and equally blowing again about their U-21 team this year. And in fairness they look fairly decent but they haven't played a really good side yet and both Galway and Kilkenny are a level above anything they played in Munster.

Less blow more action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Who do we keep an eye out for on the Antrim team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

This is a walk in the park for Clare.
    22 minutes gone, Clare 1-12 - Antrim 0-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

This is a walk in the park for Clare.
    22 minutes gone, Clare 1-12 - Antrim 0-3.

The game is long over already - won't be of much help to Clare going into an AI final without a serious test in the semi's tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement