Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Under 21 hurling

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

I've never seen soo many needless passes than with this Clare team. The game is clearly over here but it seems to be part of their gameplan. They are a fine team with some great players but they are also fairly inefficient with the use of the ball a lot of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Paul kileen is toged for Galway wearing 25 he's the minor full back that was sent off last Sunday good call by the 3 wise men

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Two lads booked before the throw in for off the ball stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭jluv

Shame to see that kind of start to a game again.But I think the ref did the right thing. Hope they all cop on now and hurl!
    C'mon the cats...

Galway have the upper hand so far

Not any more..
    1st goal soft, second nice but the third was sweet..
    Early days though so no celebrating yet..

This could get a bit embarassing if KK win this after all the talk Galway have done regarding how their whole team are training with or on their senior panel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

This could get a bit embarassing if KK win this after all the talk Galway have done regarding how their whole team are training with or on their senior panel

Hardly.

I was watching up to the first goal and Galway were clearly the better side.

Prick! wrote: »
    Hardly.

Possibly should have kept watching:D

• Advertisement

Hardly.

I agree Galway are doing the more hurling, the goals are killing them. They're still in the game no doubt.

My point was that they have set themselves up for a fall if they lose by any margin with all their talk of the team being made up of all senior panelists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Well is this painful viewing. Up until the first goal we were cruising but Kilkenny have taken their chances and it is worrying. We still have the players and character to certainly win this game. Flaherty is being caught badly and Daithi is being given a run around by Aylward. Hopefully Niall, Glennon, Regan and the senior players can stand up and be counted. Richie has shown mighty glimpses and Johnny Glynn has ran riot. Has to start senior final. Come on Galway get yere bloody act together ye're well able

jluv wrote: »
    Possibly should have kept watching:D

Yeah, I switched on when KK were 2-1 up then Galway went on a scoring rampage :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Galway just could not get a breaking ball for 20 minutes there. Relentless KK showing and realistically that second goal killed the match. Flannery not helped out by his backs. Glynn is losing confidence with every touch though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A bit of panic from Cunningham there taking 2 players off inside 20 mins.

Very impressed with ollie Walsh, bit still anyone's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The few goals that KK are ahead by kind of flatters them. The teams are closely matched and the game is far from over.
    KK gave away a few silly frees at the end of the first half, they need to stop doing that. I think KK could definitely get a couple of more goals and hopefully they can prevent Galway getting any goals in the 2nd half.

• Advertisement

Great penalty. It was the correct decision to hit the ball high, as the Galway players were staring at the sun.

The guts of 10 mins still left in this game

KK need a score badly.

As I said

As I said

What was the score? :( Disappointing they've lost :(

• Advertisement

KK did very well to weather the storm there in the last 10 minutes.
    Goals win matches. Overused cliché, but very true in this match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Power and Aylward were great for KK. Happy that Galway made a comeback of some sort but those soft goals cost them big-time. Hopefully Cunningham can motivate these youngsters to snatch the big one.

Congrats Kilkenny.

Goals win games that simple. Well done to KK no complaints. First half bore a strange resemblance to the minor AI semi in 2010

Had we taken an early goal who knows but hats off to KK. Our lack of matches was evident enough though strangely unlike previous years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Bad performance from Galway, never got going and didn't play to their strengths. James Regan was anonymous bar 2 missed goal chances at the end, Niall Burke despite getting a couple of scores was completely outplayed by Richie Doyle, Conor Cooney was fouled every time he got the ball and never got going. The 2 corner backs, Grealish and Flaherty aren't corner backs and were found out. Padraic Brehony was way off the pace.

The only ones really who had decent games were Davy Glennon,Johnny Glynn, tadgh Haran, Joseph Cooney and Daithi Burke

What was the score? :( Disappointing they've lost :(
    4-16 to 2-15. Good game and on the day it did come down to the goals. KK managed to take theirs and tho Galway had chances it was one of those days where they were harder to get.Well done KK. Hard luck Galway..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Galway gave themselves waaaaaay too much to do, messed up in the first 5 minutes leaving a few scores behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭caddy16

Sounds like a sore Clare man to me.

Look Galway may or may not win the All-Ireland (and they are probably up against the best team ever) but they are there which is the important thing and given the talent coming through hopefully they will remain there or thereabouts for the next few years.

Don't get the arrogant remark especially from Clare. Sure Clare lads were blowing all Summer last year about the Clare minor team that eventually collapsed to Galway in the semi-finals. Blowing again about their minor team that lost to Dublin last weekend and equally blowing again about their U-21 team this year. And in fairness they look fairly decent but they haven't played a really good side yet and both Galway and Kilkenny are a level above anything they played in Munster.

Less blow more action.

Few pints on board?? Bit of a rant about Clare, considering I'm not from there!!!....although I do live in Ennis & work in Galway.
    The attitude of Galway lads I work with seems to have rubbed off on the 21's - just thought they had to turn up today, didn't put it in. Might do them the world of good in the long run, clearly plenty of talent there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Bad performance from Galway, never got going and didn't play to their strengths. James Regan was anonymous bar 2 missed goal chances at the end, Niall Burke despite getting a couple of scores was completely outplayed by Richie Doyle, Conor Cooney was fouled every time he got the ball and never got going. The 2 corner backs, Grealish and Flaherty aren't corner backs and were found out. Padraic Brehony was way off the pace.

The only ones really who had decent games were Davy Glennon,Johnny Glynn, tadgh Haran, Joseph Cooney and Daithi Burke

Very bad performance from Galway. In hindsight, a bit too much has been made of the amount of starters on the senior panel - after this evening a number of them should / will be down the pecking order. Forwards were never able / allowed to make room for score taking, and too many of them are awkward and clumsy in possession. Even Glynn, stoutly though he tried is too easy to bottle up in spots; would be a mistake to start him in the Senior final, though unfortunately Regan and C Cooney didn't do a lot to advance their cases either. Corner backs were badly exposed and I'm afraid Flaherty just is not county standard. Darragh Burke too loose also. Only Haran and Daithi Burke, who belied his lack of experience of county hurling in recent years, could be really satisfied with their displays. Subs Killeen and Huban tried manfully, as did Glennon, the latter needed space and better ball to run on to. Tactically Galway were wrong also, spare man at the back wasn't a success, particularly in the second half when chasing a big deficit. Much to ponder for Cunningham and co. I'm afraid.

Niall along with Johnny Glynn actually turned up today. Doyle only got the better of him when KK started running riot tbh.

Grealish wasn't even playing corner back by the way. Started out the wing as I expected. Breheny wasn't even too bad criminal that he was taken off so early! AGree about Joe Cooney, Johnny and Daithi but Ger Aylward brought the latter for a run around in the first half and it was only when Daithi moved out the pitch that he started being effective.

Haran tried hard but was very suspect imo and Glennon had glimpses. Felt sorry for Richie played a blinder in first half and CUnningham took the easy option taking him off. while I dont like criticising young lads too much, if Glynn doesn't start ahead of Cooney/Regan in senior final it is laughable. He showed himself to be Galway's best player today easily. Was so disappointed in named two

MfMan wrote: »
    Very bad performance from Galway. In hindsight, a bit too much has been made of the amount of starters on the senior panel - after this evening a number of them should / will be down the pecking order. Forwards were never able / allowed to make room for score taking, and too many of them are awkward and clumsy in possession. Even Glynn, stoutly though he tried is too easy to bottle up in spots; would be a mistake to start him in the Senior final, though unfortunately Regan and C Cooney didn't do a lot to advance their cases either. Corner backs were badly exposed and I'm afraid Flaherty just is not county standard. Darragh Burke too loose also. Only Haran and Daithi Burke, who belied his lack of experience of county hurling in recent years, could be really satisfied with their displays. Subs Killeen and Huban tried manfully, as did Glennon, the latter needed space and better ball to run on to. Tactically Galway were wrong also, spare man at the back wasn't a success, particularly in the second half when chasing a big deficit. Much to ponder for Cunningham and co. I'm afraid.

Absolute nonsense. You want an aerial threat and workhorse in the forwards? There he is. Was Galway's best player by a country mile today

And I'm sorry but Haran was average at best. Killeen and Hoban were very good to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was just looking up the fixtures for the final, doesn't seem to have a venue decided yet, I assume it'll be Thurles but it could also be Limerick, be great for Clare to have it in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Clareman wrote: »
    I was just looking up the fixtures for the final, doesn't seem to have a venue decided yet, I assume it'll be Thurles but it could also be Limerick, be great for Clare to have it in Limerick.

I'd say twill be in Croke Park. If not, then it'll be in Thurles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's down for the 15th of September, I don't think they'll open up Croke Park for just the under 21

It's always Thurles isn't it? Even when Tipp involved :(

I don't know if it's always Thurles by default, it was in Croke Park 3 years ago, but that was when it was part of the Camoige finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense. You want an aerial threat and workhorse in the forwards? There he is. Was Galway's best player by a country mile today

And I'm sorry but Haran was average at best. Killeen and Hoban were very good to be fair

It's not that I disagree with you exactly; Glynn was one of the better players last evening, though he struggled a bit in the second half. It's just that I'd be afraid of his rawness in a final, and I don't think he's the finished article yet, could be too easily bottled up. Then again, as I said, Regan and Cooney didn't propagate their cases a whole lot either. A week ago I would have said Cooney, on account of his strength, would start but now I think Regan may just get the nod simply because he's a year older.

Haran wasn't great either but at least he tried and didn't go missing. Looks like the U-21s will have to go into Leinster also to realise their full potential down the road.

MfMan wrote: »
    It's not that I disagree with you exactly; Glynn was one of the better players last evening, though he struggled a bit in the second half. It's just that I'd be afraid of his rawness in a final, and I don't think he's the finished article yet, could be too easily bottled up. Then again, as I said, Regan and Cooney didn't propagate their cases a whole lot either. A week ago I would have said Cooney, on account of his strength, would start but now I think Regan may just get the nod simply because he's a year older.

Haran wasn't great either but at least he tried and didn't go missing. Looks like the U-21s will have to go into Leinster also to realise their full potential down the road.

Agree they have to be put into Leinster ridiculous it hasn't happened yet. I can't see anyone that would be opposed to it and would do far more benefit than bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Agree they have to be put into Leinster ridiculous it hasn't happened yet. I can't see anyone that would be opposed to it and would do far more benefit than bad.

Maybe Galway mightn't be opposed to it as much as at minor level, but many of the Leinster counties (i.e Wexford, offaly and the likes of Laois) would object to it immeaditly. Also, would it be straight knock-out competition or more akin to the senior?

You could stick Galway in Leinster, but what do the GAA do with Ulster? Antrim have won the Ulster U21 championship for the last 4 years, but they don't always win it (Down and Derry have won the title in the last 10 years also). So the GAA can't decide to just put Antrim into Leinster.

Something does need to be done to the current structure though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I don't know if it's always Thurles by default, it was in Croke Park 3 years ago, but that was when it was part of the Camoige finals.

The GAA announced a few years back that in future the U21 would be played in Thurles, in part to leave Croke Park free for the (3) camogie finals. It caused problems in 2010 with Galway because (a) they were playing Tipperary at home and (b) it was a 7pm throw in (it takes well over 2 hours to get back to Galway from Thurles, so it's not exactly a family friendly location for most Galway people).

AFAIK they only started playing the U21 final in Croke Park during the past decade, it had usually been held in Limerick or Thurles before that.

You could stick Galway in Leinster, but what do the GAA do with Ulster? Antrim have won the Ulster U21 championship for the last 4 years, but they don't always win it (Down and Derry have won the title in the last 10 years also). So the GAA can't decide to just put Antrim into Leinster.

Something does need to be done to the current structure though.

Same format as senior imo move Down, Derry, Antrim to Leinster play prelims in early May top 4 join Wexford, Dublin, Galway and KK in Leinster quarters. Losers of prelims go into AI B something like that anyway

Same format as senior imo move Down, Derry, Antrim to Leinster play prelims in early May top 4 join Wexford, Dublin, Galway and KK in Leinster quarters. Losers of prelims go into AI B something like that anyway

Sounds pretty good to me. So you'd have:
    Leinster: KK, Galway, Laois, Wexford, Dublin, Offaly, Antrim, Derry, Down.
    Munster: Cork, Tipp, Clare, Waterford, Limerick.

Straight knock-out, and winners of Leinster and Munster go into the AI final against each other maybe?

Straight knock-out, and winners of Leinster and Munster go into the AI final against each other maybe?

Bring in Roscommon & Kildare (B finalists) to make 16 teams and just have an open draw for 2013.

I think it's a bit more difficult for underage to include Galway in Leinster, for example, if Galway were drawn to play Dublin on a Wednesday night in Dublin you could have a player from Clifden having to cross the whole country to play a game, I know most hurling is in East Galway but you have to account for some other players getting through as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I think it's a bit more difficult for underage to include Galway in Leinster, for example, if Galway were drawn to play Dublin on a Wednesday night in Dublin you could have a player from Clifden having to cross the whole country to play a game, I know most hurling is in East Galway but you have to account for some other players getting through as well.

Galway have never had a county hurler from Clifden and never will so that's not really an issue. The distance for a midweek game would be an issue alright, but they could solve that problem rather easily by playing on a saturday instead. Not really a problem.

• Advertisement

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Galway have never had a county hurler from Clifden and never will so that's not really an issue

The minor goalkeeper is from Michael Breathnachs from Indreabhan (a good 45 minutes from the city), the argument stands.

antoobrien wrote: »
    The minor goalkeeper is from Michael Breathnachs from Indreabhan (a good 45 minutes from the city), the argument stands.

Inverin is no way 45 minutes from Galway City and as Aidan rightly pointed out the games could well be played on a saturday anyway or in Portlaoise around the midlands for a more neutral venue.

Inverin is no way 45 minutes from Galway City and as Aidan rightly pointed out the games could well be played on a saturday anyway or in Portlaoise around the midlands for a more neutral venue.

Yes it is, if there's another car on the road with you. I have family out there, on a good day it takes 45 minutes to get from the city to Siopa an Pobail.

Maybe even back door? Same format as senior? ALthough that leads to fixture congestion too. Could it be even played simultaneously with the football? Just throwing it out there haven't essentially thought it through...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

antoobrien wrote: »

A good achievement for the lad but it's rare believe me. Connemara does have one decent hurling team (Moycullen) but other than that it's predominantly a football area. And Clifden don't even have a hurling club afaik. The vast majority of our county-standard hurlers still come from the hurling strongholds in the southern half of the county, Gort, Portumna, Kinvara, Ardrahan, Eyrecourt etc Draw a line across the map from Galway city to Ballinasloe and you won't find too many county hurlers from north of that line (there's a few exceptions, but not many).

• Advertisement
Advertisement