Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas power bars

• 14-08-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭

I have a fair amount of money to spend on some decent equipment* and was looking at Texas barbells and other stuff. Just looking at the grip diameter of various bars there

Texas power bar - 29 mm.
    Texas deadlift bar - 25 mm.
    Men's WL bar - 28 mm.
    Women's WL bar - 25 mm.
    The cheap bar that I use for deadlifts - 32 mm I think.

Now AFAIK powerlifting rules state that a bar has to be between 28 and 29 mm diameter. If a person was training with a 25 mm Texas deadlift bar and then had to use a 29 mm one in a competition for a deadlift surely they would notice quite a difference? Anyone have any comments?

*currently thinking about bars, bumper plates and a glute ham bench. I already have bars (cheap ones) around half a tonne of cast iron, a heavy duty cage and a great place for doing chinups!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Texas DL bars are 25mm?! Sick.

Rules depend on federations. If you want to compete IPF/single ply - same bar is used for all lifts and a Texas Power Bar is a great choice.

If you're competing multi ply/GPC, different bars get used. Squat bar (8ft long and possible 35+mm thick), power bar for the bench, and deadlift bar for the deadlifts.

The deadlift bar won't have center knurling, is longer, more whippier and there's the grip thing too. It's largely irrelevant for anything but DLs. And the flex/whip probably won't come into play unless you're shifting decent weight anyway.

You're better training with a fatter bar and using thinner for competition, since your grip gets stronger that way. That being said, the whip of a good DL bar can throw people off if they're not used to it resulting in them being pulled forward in comp, or a double movement. Both of which result in missed lifts.

The type of bar you buy will depend on what you plan to use it for. The Again Faster team barbell is pretty awesome for me so far. It's designed as an oly bar, but the knurling is sharp like a DL bar. Welcome to come look/try it at the gym if you want.

Don't waste your money on a GHR. Despite what Dave Tate and EliteFTS want you to believe, they're largely irrelevant.

You might want to consider something like this: http://www.gymequipment.uk.com/store/item/38euv/Bar_Packages/Leg_Package.html

I like my Exertrain bumpers so far - can't tell you how they'll hold up over time, but right now they look like they're a great option.

Get some rings as well if you're buying - very versatile tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Great info there Hanley, I really thought the GHR was a "must have" and virtually guaranteed to add many kgs to a person's deadlift and/or squat if they hadn't used one before.

Re: bars, I actually prefer a soft knurling or none at all. I think my grip strength is alright but at the same time my hands are soft and girly and I find that sharp knurling irritates them.

When I sumo deadlift at home I use plenty of chalk and grip the bar in the smooth part. Now after doing this for years the coating in the smooth part is worn so it's rusty, I clean it with a wire brush before lifting. Bar also has a problem with one of the inside collars coming loose due to a damaged thread and bushing. Time to treat myself to a new bar I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Great info there Hanley, I really thought the GHR was a "must have" and virtually guaranteed to add many kgs to a person's deadlift and/or squat if they hadn't used one before.

Didn't do sh*t for mine!
    Re: bars, I actually prefer a soft knurling or none at all. I think my grip strength is alright but at the same time my hands are soft and girly and I find that sharp knurling irritates them.

The knurling on the Texas Power bar is pretty sharp.. I don't like deadlifting with them and prefer the Leoko Powerbar as its a little softer and a little more rigid making it more comfortable to squat with too. The strengthshop are doing Okie powerbars and deadlift bars, both are about 50sterling cheaper than the texas counterparts. Also, the texas deadlift bar is like holding a cheese grater, your girly hands might not like them!
    When I sumo deadlift at home I use plenty of chalk and grip the bar in the smooth part. Now after doing this for years the coating in the smooth part is worn so it's rusty, I clean it with a wire brush before lifting. Bar also has a problem with one of the inside collars coming loose due to a damaged thread and bushing. Time to treat myself to a new bar I think.

There are loads of mid-range bars that would probably suit you just fine. The Jordan 'Elite' Bar is about 200-250 euro, has pretty soft knurling but is one of the most rigid power bars I've used.

If you want to see the difference I have the Leoko, Texas and Jordan bars in Raw if you want to pop in just give me a shout.

I'm deffo coming in to check out that Jordan bar brah!!

Thanks COH, it may be that I just need to get used to sharp knurling. A couple of weeks of discomfort and irritation might be enough time to adapt.

It is interesting to see the different type of bars available and get comments from lifters on their characteristics.

The only bar that I would rule out at the moment would be the Eleiko competition bar, just too expensive. Would consider the training one though.

• Advertisement

Is there a training PL bar?!

Is that what you're even looking for?

A weightlifting bar and a powerlifting bar have vastly different properties (not so important if you're spending 300 bucks, but if your'e spedning 800...)

Yeah I meant the training WL bar, I don't think there is a training PL one.

TBH I'm not that sure what I want but have already learned a good bit from this thread. I definitely want something for deadlifting/PL but I also want to get into WL. If that means buying two bars then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Hanley wrote: »
    A weightlifting bar and a powerlifting bar have vastly different properties (not so important if you're spending 300 bucks, but if your'e spedning 800...)

What's the difference Hanley?

Yeah I meant the training WL bar, I don't think there is a training PL one.

TBH I'm not that sure what I want but have already learned a good bit from this thread. I definitely want something for deadlifting/PL but I also want to get into WL. If that means buying two bars then so be it.

I 100% think you should consider the Again Faster bar so.

What's the difference Hanley?

Weightlifting bar - 28ish mm thick, 7 foor long, 20kg, knurling typically a bit softer, bar is whippier to help get out of the hole on fast lifts and very very smoothly rotating collars

Power bar - 29ish mm thick, 7 foot long, 20kg, sharp knurling and pretty stiff

Squat bar - 35ish mm thick, 8 feet long, 25kg, and stiff as f*ck

Deadlift bar - 25ish mm thick, 7.5 feet long (I think), really bloody sharp knurling, no center knurling, mega whippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

with one of the inside collars coming loose due to a damaged thread and bushing.
    Would a bit of epoxy resin fix it. Many people do not realize how strong decent glue is. Even regular silicone sealant can be strong as hell, I have do disassemble some things I put together "temporarily" with light glue/silicone and its remarkably strong.

Thanks rubadub I'd say epoxy would help the bushing and thread lock might help the threads. However I have decided that even if it can be fixed it has served its purpose and is due replacement - I've used it for 7 years of pretty heavy deadlifting which is not bad for a cheap bar. Also it is a 32 mm diamter grip and I think that getting a 28 or 29 mm bar could help my deadlift and be generally more comfortable.

Still haven't made my mind up or bought anything.

Re: bumper plates the Exertrain plates that Hanley mentioned do look sexy :) I also saw some pics of bars on the Exertrain website but they don't seem to be orderable.

The Again Faster stuff also looks interesting. It's a pity they don't do coloured plates as well as black ones

One thing I've noticed is that there can be quite a difference in the thickness of bumper plates with the more expensive ones being thinner.

Unbranded 25 kg from gymratz - 98 mm
    Exertrain 25 kg - 57 mm
    Taishan 25 kg - 46 mm

As I plan to use bumpers for deadlifting I think I could run into problems fitting enough plates on the bar if I went for the 98 mm thickness bumpers.

COH wrote: »

So f*cking tempted.

Hanley wrote: »
    So f*cking tempted.

I want the Okie Deadlift Bar but its 500 lids, 70 shipping and a giant fist in the ass with the current exchange rate :(

Saw that Okie power bar, that seems like a very good price. Has anyone dealt with Strength Shop, are they good?

Also has anyone any comment on the Taishan weightlifting bar and bumper plate set
    https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/weight-plates/taishan-competition-bumper-plates/taishan-full-competition-plate-set.html

Saw that Okie power bar, that seems like a very good price. Has anyone dealt with Strength Shop, are they good?

Yeah they are very good.. I've ordered from them on a few occassions now and have never had to wait too long for delivery.

Also has anyone any comment on the Taishan weightlifting bar and bumper plate
    set

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/weight-plates/taishan-competition-bumper-plates/taishan-full-competition-plate-set.html

I dont think you'd want to be deadlifting with that bar, serious piece of kit all the same

Advertisement