Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's a business idea...

Options
  • 14-08-2012 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

I use Mauds Maids to have house cleaned every couple of weeks (herself works with me, so no spare time for either of us to clean house)
    They use a simple system whereby you pay them a fee of €3.50 per hour + vat which covers security, insurance, agency fee etc. Then you pay the cleaner directly at whatever rate is agreed.

Thus the company acts as an agency, but ensures standards are up to scratch, cleaners vetted etc. Also means company doesn not employ staff directly cutting down on admin costs.

So why not use the same model for child minding - plenty of early retirees, & housewives out there well capable of minding children and loving an extra few quid.

Agency does the background checks, training courses etc. Parent pays agency fee + fee to minder and gets excellent care for a lot less than a creche?

You'd need knowledge of the trade + a decent amount of capital to set up, but possibly its something someone might try out. (if it works I'll come looking for a finders fee:D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

The problem here is that whereas cleaning is usually a 3-4 hr/week job, child minding could be 40 hrs/week meaning an agency fee of €172 incl. VAT.
    No one would pay that so the only way I see it working is if the agency charged a flat weekly fee, which then would severely limit revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Bigger picture jason ..

Get 10 child Minders on the books - And you have 400 @ a rate of €40 per week .. or even a flat €100 per month, and im sure you could really ramp that up

Great idea sandin.. Although i dont even what a child looks like, the insurance and all those regs might into the profits.. Still see a good business model here !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Bigger picture jason ..

Get 10 child Minders on the books - And you have 400 @ a rate of €40 per week .. or even a flat €100 per month, and im sure you could really ramp that up

Great idea sandin.. Although i dont even what a child looks like, the insurance and all those regs might eat into the profits.. Still see a good business model here !

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

At first glance, seems like an excellent idea, except:

-Isn't the whole value of a creche having your child in with other children during the day with an established creche owner, rather than at home alone or with their brothers/sisters with a perfect stranger?

-I would say the liability insurance costs could make it unfeasible

-If you get one bad egg along the way, it could destroy the reputation of your operation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Plus hiqa scrutinizes creches - ensures standards and adequate insurance. Other than that element - I'm not leaving my young fella with an 'agency' employee with no tie to the agency.

Also, they would need to be Garda vetted if they are working with children (and that's a nightmare). They could swear on a stack of bibles that they are the real deal, but unless I has third party verification - not a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

IRE60 wrote: »
    Plus hiqa scrutinizes creches - ensures standards and adequate insurance. Other than that element - I'm not leaving my young fella with an 'agency' employee with no tie to the agency.

Also, they would need to be Garda vetted if they are working with children (and that's a nightmare). They could swear on a stack of bibles that they are the real deal, but unless I has third party verification - not a hope.

Yep.

In fact, I reckon this idea would fall at the first hurdle - regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

riveratom wrote: »
    At first glance, seems like an excellent idea, except:

-Isn't the whole value of a creche having your child in with other children during the day with an established creche owner, rather than at home alone or with their brothers/sisters with a perfect stranger?

-I would say the liability insurance costs could make it unfeasible

-If you get one bad egg along the way, it could destroy the reputation of your operation

possibly its an impossibility, but possibly someone could make it work.

Garda clearance is not that big an issue once you know what you are on about.

Insurance could be an issue - but surmountable

yes - one of the great benefits of a creche is other children and social interaction, but when you don't have €800/month, it not possible anyway.

Many people already have private arrangements like this - having the back up of a insured company with set standards could make it attractive to others to whom a regualr creche is out of the question.

Trust is probably the biggest issue for something like this - if that hurdle was overcome, the idea could be a runner.

Hey - if I throw ideas out there and someone makes one of them work, I'm happy. Sometime the best ideas come from what was originally a crazy concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Isn't that how some au pair agencies work.

My sister has an au pair (her hubbie works in the uk). She pays them a fee of €50 (a month) and pays the au pair directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

sandin wrote: »
    Hey - if I throw ideas out there and someone makes one of them work, I'm happy. Sometime the best ideas come from what was originally a crazy concept.

Keep throwing out the ideas - no problems there. But its no problem either if people point out some hurdles that have to be (may not be ) overcome.
    sandin wrote: »
    Garda clearance is not that big an issue once you know what you are on about.

I'd disagree with that - it's currently taking an inordinate amount of time to have them processed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Keep throwing out the ideas - no problems there. But its no problem either if people point out some hurdles that have to be (may not be ) overcome.

I'd disagree with that - it's currently taking an inordinate amount of time to have them processed.

yep - great to have the hurdles pointed out as some great ideas end up unworkable due to ursurmountable problems and best to know them first.

Garda clearance does take a few months, but aside from the delay its not a major hurdle.

Insurance and trust would be the main issues to overcome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement