Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prostitutes on Union Quay

Options
  • 14-08-2012 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I parked up across from the College of Comm (opposite the red-bricked building on Union Quay) the other evening ready to stroll over to Milanos, and lo and behold, I was propositioned. Shook my head to indicate a negative response and went on my way.

I've lived in Cork since late 2004, but it's only now that I see prostitutes on the footpaths. Not my thing, no objections either, but since when has this started happening so blatantly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

They've been there for years (at least 3 years, probably more).
    I walk home that way after a night out and I always see them, they don't tend to hassle anybody so I don't have a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

So that's where the've gone to.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

They've always hung around that area though haven't they? of course I've only ever been there to look for directions on how to get away from there.

<<
    >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

they have been along the quays for years, they probably move to where the higher volume of traffic is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

daveyjoe wrote: »
    They've been there for years (at least 3 years, probably more).
    I walk home that way after a night out and I always see them, they don't tend to hassle anybody so I don't have a problem with them.

Yes, there a good few years - one section for women and one for men. Never had a problem walking through either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Tisnt Union Quay, but have anyone ever seen the chaps that hang out down by the Atlantic Pond. It is mostly men, we normally see this chap who would be kinda hanging around walking up and down by the foot bridge area, and then there is another chap waiting around the corner near the trees..Are these male prostitutes or dealers...They have to be something sneaky as they are always there. I think prostitutes as they hand around the tress and behind there is a known bonking spot.

Milly33 wrote: »
    Tisnt Union Quay, but have anyone ever seen the chaps that hang out down by the Atlantic Pond. It is mostly men, we normally see this chap who would be kinda hanging around walking up and down by the foot bridge area, and then there is another chap waiting around the corner near the trees..Are these male prostitutes or dealers...They have to be something sneaky as they are always there.

Don't think you'd get trade down there - it's more of a cruising area I think.

Jes if you took a walk behind those trees (during the day time) you would see the evidence. As far as i know tis suppose to be a hotspot

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

I see them every so often on Copley Street, which is strange because its right next to the garda station. A few late nights we would see them approach cars from the architecture building on copley street, even approached a few of us as we drive home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

FullBeard wrote: »
    I parked up across from the College of Comm (opposite the red-bricked building on Union Quay) the other evening ready to stroll over to Milanos, and lo and behold, I was propositioned. Shook my head to indicate a negative response and went on my way.

Was she hot???

Saw the Dieselqueen down by connolly Hall a few months back. Good god. Was a mess of a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FullBeard

gimmick wrote: »
    Was she hot???

No

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

I saw the special branch having a word with a couple a few weeks back,they seem to be doing business judging by the amount of cruising going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I've known they've been there for years but I've never actually seen them. Apparently they're always down the Docks as well but again, I've never seen them there either!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

Jes if you took a walk behind those trees (during the day time) you would see the evidence. As far as i know tis suppose to be a hotspot

tumblr_m68iqqi61r1rwl05po2_500.png

I Jest!! :D

tumblr_m68iqqi61r1rwl05po2_500.png

I Jest!! :D

hahah he even looks a bit naughty

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The important question, are any of em hot?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

The important question, are any of em hot?

I lived in Copley Street for a year. Never saw a good looking one. As rough as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I've worked in the area about 9 years now and they are always hanging around Morrisson's Island/Keeffe Street/Fitton Street that general area. I've been propositioned more times whilst leaving my office - and I'm talking at about 18.00 in the winter which is early but dark. (Sorry I meant propositioned by the Johns looking for some action) (And it's only because I'm a woman). The amount of times I've had to roar NO! I mean really, it's pretty obvious I've just finished the "day job" :D

But all jokes aside - the area is getting worse - the graffiti has got really bad around those lanes, the characters/drinkers are getting rougher, there have been cars broken in to and I heard a few months ago somebody was mugged in the area. Also there is supposed to be dealing around here too.

I had to call the police recently because there was a drunkard lying on the middle of the lane at about 16.30 in the day, so cars from all surrounding car parks couldn't get by him - police just "Pulled him along" he wasn't capable of physically moving, he was so out of it. That was all they did, put their gloves on, drag him along, left him in a doorway and went off.

But I do blame the police for this area - they know this has become a "no go zone" and instead of hanging around the area.police cars/under cover/special branch - whatever - to ensure it will be safe - they ignore it. And when you think of the amount of young men/women attending night courses at The School of Comm or across at The School of Music, parking around the locality. It just makes me mad.

Oh yeah - for the poster who asked what they were like - "RUFFFFF!. So keep away..................

jes sounds like you have a tough time getting out of work.. Might be handy if you need to vent after a bad day!! Can i ask something silly what are the Johns, is this the pimps...

I would say too that the guards need to do something even with how town is getting so rough, they just seem to ignore it..

I have seen them with drunks before and it is a case like you say pick them up out of the way and throw them somewhere else, I would like to think they would do something more than that, even for the drunk themselves..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I was living on Douglas St for a year up 2 years ago and would always see them along where College of Com is and walking up and that pedestrian bridge near it.There was this wan who was always there ,she'd one bandy leg and a face like death warmed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

In my innocence, I've often walked that area going into town, both during the day and in the evening and never saw anything? I must look like I don't have any money.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Murky Waters

Can i ask something silly what are the Johns, is this the pimps...
    No, it's clients willing to pay for services rendered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

The Cops should take a zero tolerance to this area any one found with Drugs should be fined at lest 2000 and sent to jail for six months...

With 5 Month and 28 days Taken off so they will only serve 2 days in jail,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

always found the area very safe when parking the car etc, great thing is that there are so many people around and afraid of the cops, its safe out.
    Its been the area for years and years as long as i can remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Union Quay itself is actually relatively nice. It's the quay opposite i.e. Morrison's Island / Morrison's Quay that seems to have a bit of an issue.

It's weird actually, that whole area behind the South Mall should be prime real estate given it's right in the city centre and by the river. Instead, it's a warren of little twisty streets with semi-derelict buildings. Very odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

I think since the hotel closed the place went downhill as such.

ofcork wrote: »
    I think since the hotel closed the place went downhill as such.

Hoors Motel?

Advertisement