Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any one know how to mix professional hair colour?

• 14-08-2012 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Just a quick question, I can't afford to visit a hairdressers so was thinking of heading into somewhere like Terri Sales hair salon shop (I have colour card) to buy colour. but I don't have a clue how to mix professional colour. I will probably have to get permanent colour as I've bits of grey to cover. Does anyone know how to do this? I know you need to buy developer and need to look at the hair charts to see how many shades lighter or darker you want to go. I've medium brown old dye in it and just want to do a slightly warmer brunette shade. Main aim is to cover my grey..I've looked on youtube, but the videos aren't great. Any help would be much much appreciated.. Thanks.

Another poster isn't being too helpful by suggesting I head to a salon etc. I posted this thread looking for advice on how to mix professional hair colour. I don't find the advice on shopping around on those deal sites etc much help. Been there, not my thing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

No offence but there's a reason its professional - people train for years to use it properly.
    You will definitely not do it right so just buy a box in boots that is made for home use.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHateMondays

abrr1000 wrote: »
    No offence but there's a reason its professional - people train for years to use it properly.
    You will definitely not do it right so just buy a box in boots that is made for home use.

I'm well versed on using ready made boots ones and their not the best. I was just looking for some useful advice. I'm sick to my teeth of being ripped off in salons left right and center. They are not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'm well versed on using ready made boots ones and their not the best. I was just looking for some useful advice. I'm sick to my teeth of being ripped off in salons left right and center. They are not worth it.

They are worth it as they won't ruin your hair which is likely to happen if you use professional colour without knowing what your doing.

Shop around, use deals pages etc.

There are constantly deals out there for coloured/cuts/etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

Oh I'd love to know how, I've only once gotten the right colour coming out of a hairdresser, and that trip cost my 300e. I know professionals get annoyed but its so upsetting to have to pay someone to dye your hair the wrong color.

Oh I'd love to know how, I've only once gotten the right colour coming out of a hairdresser, and that trip cost my 300e. I know professionals get annoyed but its so upsetting to have to pay someone to dye your hair the wrong color.

I know, it's ridiculous the mark up in salons for colour. I once got a gloss done to my hair which caused me 70 quid. No cut either. Found out that this flossing treatment costs 12.99 to buy in a salon shop. Hence why I'm looking for any help in mixing professional colour. Any suggestions would be so so great..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭okiss

Do you need a permanent colour? If you only have a small bit of grey hair your better using a wash out colour which last for 24 washes.
    The Clairol nice and easy for 24 washes is good - get some one to apply it with a hair color brush and leave it in for 15 mins.
    One of my friend use this and they get longer than the 24 washes out of it.
    If you look up Clairol.ie you can up load you photo and see what you are like with various hair colors they offer.
    You can buy this in Dunnes, tesco, boots ect for €6 to €7 euro - check that it last 24 washes.

okiss wrote: »
    Do you need a permanent colour? If you only have a small bit of grey hair your better using a wash out colour which last for 24 washes.
    The Clairol nice and easy for 24 washes is good - get some one to apply it with a hair color brush and leave it in for 15 mins.
    One of my friend use this and they get longer than the 24 washes out of it.
    If you look up Clairol.ie you can up load you photo and see what you are like with various hair colors they offer.
    You can buy this in Dunnes, tesco, boots ect for €6 to €7 euro - check that it last 24 washes.

Thanks for that. I might buy the semi colours as permanent is a bit drastic. I have used those before Clairol etc but they didn't suit all that much. I think I'll buy from a salon supply shop as the quality suits me better. But that leaves me back to my same question, how does one go about mixing semi permanent with the toner or peroxide? These don't come ready mixed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

To be honest I don't think it is as easy as just getting a set formula. I think it would depend on many factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Another poster isn't being too helpful by suggesting I head to a salon etc. I posted this thread looking for advice on how to mix professional hair colour. I don't find the advice on shopping around on those deal sites etc much help. Been there, not my thing.

That is pretty harsh. I'm sure the poster was in fact trying to help you. If you found her advice unsuitable, that's fine, but I find this edit a bit rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Maybe have a look at a few Youtube tutorials? The only people who are likely to know on boards are hairdressers & they'll be loathe to tell you in case it goes ar*eways on you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhTbhNjZxLU

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Reminder to all posters: If you have a problem with a post, please report it, don't take the thread off topic discussing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Pussnboots

Just a quick question, I can't afford to visit a hairdressers so was thinking of heading into somewhere like Terri Sales hair salon shop (I have colour card) to buy colour. but I don't have a clue how to mix professional colour. I will probably have to get permanent colour as I've bits of grey to cover. Does anyone know how to do this? I know you need to buy developer and need to look at the hair charts to see how many shades lighter or darker you want to go. I've medium brown old dye in it and just want to do a slightly warmer brunette shade. Main aim is to cover my grey..I've looked on youtube, but the videos aren't great. Any help would be much much appreciated.. Thanks.

Hey doll, you will need to purchase a bottle of developer n depending on what colour n brand will depend on what sort of developer you will need, they come in 4 n 6% bottles loreal sell it in a 4.5% bottle but it is almost 20 euro for the bottle. You will need to mix about 75mil of developer with one tube of colour let me know which brand you are using n I will give you a guide! Hope this helps

Deffo go with semi's when your first trying this, it's not that hard seriously I have been doing it for years at this stage just don't leave the colour in for too long as it may come out too dark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Pussnboots

Doll it is well I find it easy to do, it just a matter of getting your right developer n colour and stick to the times as it tends to come out darker if you leave it in longer than your meant too!

Pussnboots wrote: »
    Hey doll, you will need to purchase a bottle of developer n depending on what colour n brand will depend on what sort of developer you will need, they come in 4 n 6% bottles loreal sell it in a 4.5% bottle but it is almost 20 euro for the bottle. You will need to mix about 75mil of developer with one tube of colour let me know which brand you are using n I will give you a guide! Hope this helps

Deffo go with semi's when your first trying this, it's not that hard seriously I have been doing it for years at this stage just don't leave the colour in for too long as it may come out too dark

Thank you sooo much for your message. Was away for a bit so only saw your email now.. I had figured out how to mix pro colour with toner from net and asking around, so only saw your mail now which has great advice. My colour turned out better than I've got in a very long time from a salon and it cost a fraction of what i've paid plus the bottle of toner I bought will last for a year and all i have to buy next time is just the colour. I used Schwarzkopt igora royal and same brand toner..Quality was so good compared with the mixed ones you buy in chemists etc.. Anyway thanks a mill for your really helpful email. Much appreciated :-)

Maybe have a look at a few Youtube tutorials? The only people who are likely to know on boards are hairdressers & they'll be loathe to tell you in case it goes ar*eways on you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhTbhNjZxLU

Thanks for sending this on..

They are worth it as they won't ruin your hair which is likely to happen if you use professional colour without knowing what your doing.

Shop around, use deals pages etc.

There are constantly deals out there for coloured/cuts/etc.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.Took the chance and mixed the professional colour at home and have to say that the shade was exactly what I want. Much better than any hair colour I've got done from a salon in last 2 years..

Advertisement