Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance Question

Options
  • 14-08-2012 1:42pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I notice a lot of houses in Waterford at €300 a month onwards that claim to accept rent allowance. But the rent allowance scheme is €240 a month. How exactly then, can these houses accept rent allowance when they are above the limit?!

Is there some system whereby the welfare will ask you to pay more, to make up the difference?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sully wrote: »
    I notice a lot of houses in Waterford at €300 a month onwards that claim to accept rent allowance. But the rent allowance scheme is €240 a month. How exactly then, can these houses accept rent allowance when they are above the limit?!

Is there some system whereby the welfare will ask you to pay more, to make up the difference?

The landlord simply signs a form saying how much the rent you pay is. A lot of landlords will gladly sign a form saying you're paying less rent in order for you to received rent allowance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The landlord simply signs a form saying how much the rent you pay is. A lot of landlords will gladly sign a form saying you're paying less rent in order for you to received rent allowance.

So you pay the remainder? Any risks for the landlord/tenant on doing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

So you pay the remainder?

That's the way I did it. Admittedly that was about 10 years ago.
    Any risks for the landlord/tenant on doing that?

I'm not sure to be honest. I imagine that as long as they declare the correct amount that they are receiving then there's little or no risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

So you pay the remainder? Any risks for the landlord/tenant on doing that?

If you are found out then you could lose your RA or at least have it suspended.

The reductions to the rates were made to reduce the amount of RA the government pays out.

I pay the balance but I have exceptional circumstances and the cwo said it was ok for me to move into a property above the new limits. Again I stress it was approved due to my circumstances and not for just any reason.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The problem here is, there isn't anywhere in Waterford that offers accommodation at €230 unless you want to share with 4 students in a student house. Only house I could see anyway on Daft. So what do you do?

• Advertisement
Advertisement