Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvest Festival

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Did you find burgers??

I did not nor did I look.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Aw :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I watched the cooking demo yesterday (Friday) in city square, what a waste of time, if only I could get it back.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Went to the ale festival which was enjoyable but I think they underestimated the numbers which is odd considering they were pre sold tickets. Queued about 20 mins for a beer at one point. Could have done with three times the amount of taps and bar staff. Hopefully it will be back next year as the market is definetly there for it

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭zzdp

going to the banquet this evening, taking into account the Qs for the bars at other events, should we just bring a bottle or 2 of wine. would this allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Mick Electric

Enjoyed the buzz and beer at the Beer Fest but can't for the life of me understand why they kicked us all out at 10.30pm when it was advertised til 12

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Anyone give a quick rundown of the beers they had at the beerfest? Couldn't attend. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

JPA wrote: »
    Anyone give a quick rundown of the beers they had at the beerfest? Couldn't attend. :-(

Can't remember them all but I'll do my best.

On draught:
    Metalman Pale Ale, Alternator, Moonbeam and one other.
    Howling Gale Ale.
    Tom Crean's Lager.
    Some kind of Weiss beer.
    Black Rock cask.

Irish Bottles:
    8 Degrees Sunburnt Irish Red Ale, Howling Gale Ale and Barefoot Bohemian Pilsner.
    Dungarvan Helvick Gold, Copper Coast and Black Rock.
    Stonewall craft cider.
    Galway Hooker.

Other Bottles:
    Tactical Nuclear Penguin.
    Sink the Bismarck.
    Tokyo.

There were probably 5 or 6 others, if not more, that I can't remember. It was a really good selection but I have to agree about it being understaffed and undersupplied. They sold out of a lot of stuff and queues were very long at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

BBQ = worse thing I have EVER seen.

€15 to queue for over an hour for a burger for 3 (and 1 sausage). If I knew the Qs would be so long I simply would have got a burger somewhere else and walked down. Farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I was down at the Viking Banquet last night. Thankfully it was a free ticket because if I'd paid €29.95 for what was essentially a mediocre pub lunch (roast beef, mash and boiled veg) I'd have been well annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

The GIY Gathering was excellent, some great international speakers.

Flahavan's have set the new world record for the largest bowl of porridge in the world weighing 1380kgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

congrats to all those who organised the harvest festival - best yet - and to those who came out and made it a festival to remember. its tough getting people out of their houses these days -but this was one of the highlights of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

old gregg wrote: »
    I was down at the Viking Banquet last night. Thankfully it was a free ticket because if I'd paid €29.95 for what was essentially a mediocre pub lunch (roast beef, mash and boiled veg) I'd have been well annoyed.

Yeah, I thought that too! I expected pigs on a spit, roasted food and stuff with a great viking theme. It was literally crappy food in a tent in a car park. Left early and went to Downes' instead, much more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

I wasn't at the Viking banquet last night but have been to the previous feasts and they were very good. Looks like I didn't miss much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Really enjoyed Sunday on the quay, its was so safe for kids.

This is my consolation prize for not being able to get to Spraoi!

The little garden wonderland at the clock tower was a hit with the kids, they loved it.

I had the noodles form the Japanese place, they were heaven. My 2 year old scoffed the Sushi in 2 mins. Other half had he usual pig in a bla, worth the wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 S_Snail

Yeah, I thought that too! I expected pigs on a spit, roasted food and stuff with a great viking theme. It was literally crappy food in a tent in a car park. Left early and went to Downes' instead, much more fun.

Totally agree. It was nothing like advertised, just a few people standing around dressed as vikings. There was no menu before hand so if you didnt like the set menu or were a vegetarian you were in trouble. There was nothing wrong with the food it was just over priced and for those who paid for the tickets you cant help thinking were subsidising the top half of the room who probably didnt pay for tickets and didnt have to fight their way to a seat just so they could sit with their friends - thought I was getting on a ryanair flight at one point!

At one stage it was announced that the bar was closing at 10, which was then extended until 11 and the band played for maybe an hour at the most. And on the subject of the bar, €19 for a bottle of wine...charging pub/Restaurant prices was disgraceful, surely the overheads at an event like that are far less than those of a profit making business. As far as I could see this was the only bit of pillaging and plundering (Celtic Tiger style!). Im not surprised most people left straight after the meal.

The toilets were also disgusting with no water to wash you hands, although allegedly there was sanitiser which turned out to be just soap, so anyone who used it ended up with sticky hands.

Overall I did enjoy the evening but that was more to do with the company and the other people at our table but I will think twice about going to any harvest festival meals in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Yeah, I got caught by that sanitiser/soap on the friday night. It was annoying alright.

The Viking Banquet was advertised as follows:
    'Come and enjoy a five course Viking feast where you will eat like a Norse God! Revel in the atmosphere and be entertained by re-enactments of battles, tradition and craft making'

I'm glad to know that the Norse Gods loved their Sunday carvery meals!
    I couldn't fault the food itself, but I found it to be very Un-Viking. I was expecting something more primal, like chicken legs or pig on a spit.

Also, FIVE courses?? Did they count the blaa as a course of its own??

Did anyone see any battle re-enactments? I did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Whole thing was awesome, fair play to those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Sunday on the Quay was great, especially when the weather finally picked up.

I'd suggest more tents for next year, just in case of bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Just got an email from the Harvest Fest people looking for attendee feedback.
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/harvest2012 If anyone else wants to voice their opinions/complaints.

• Advertisement
Advertisement