Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it true that the Copper Kettle has closed?

• 14-08-2012 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

I hope this is just a rumour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

I hope this is just a rumour.
    Sure is true,sign on the door.
    I'm local but would normally have passed it in my car tbh and go to Donnybrook fair or Greystones as the coffee in the CK was muck.
    I hate seeing local businesses closing.
    However CK was too dear and they had too many staff for the size of the place and although they were friendly they weren't very attentive.
    In fact on 2 occasions I walked out of the place as I was left standing like a spare for nearly 5 mins.

There is a business opportunity there,slightly smaller,simpler operation with really good coffee and a good barista would do it.
    There is a great cafe in Bray,I know people who literally go to Bray just for the expresso there,and don't charge joke prices for cakes like the CK did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

This is very bad news. Sure the coffee wasn't great, and the breakfast a little overpriced, but to have fresh baked bread on your doorstep every saturday and sunday was great.

(they also had coffee and a cake offer that was hard to beat, value-wise)

I hope they reopen again - if not, there is a great opportunity for a little coffee shop in the town now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Sad to hear, but the place was way overpriced and the food wasn't that nice. I use to work close by there on weekends, and the cost of a roll was 4.95 with just colesaw filling. I never would of paid that price but my employer paid for my lunch. Considering that just down the road the Centra has food pretty much of the same standard for alot cheaper its no suprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

30 jobs gone and a place that I really enjoyed closed down. Very sad in my opinion.

30 jobs gone and a place that I really enjoyed closed down. Very sad in my opinion.
    It was more like a social gathering for the staff than a place of work,sad?....yes,surprising?.....no,not one bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I remember the CK in Greystones. I think it was where Vino Pasta is. Hardly the same owners given the time difference.
    Also, is it a CK in Tesco Greystones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

FirstIn wrote: »
    I remember the CK in Greystones. I think it was where Vino Pasta is. Hardly the same owners given the time difference.
    Also, is it a CK in Tesco Greystones?

The Copper Kettle in Greystones, wow that was over 40 years ago. They did super chocolate eclairs. Finnegan family owned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    The Copper Kettle in Greystones, wow that was over 40 years ago.

not quite - it was there until the mid-80s I'd say - only place in the village you could get a bag of chips before jokers opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

loyatemu wrote: »
    not quite - it was there until the mid-80s I'd say - only place in the village you could get a bag of chips before jokers opened.

I vaguely remember a Copper Kettle located inside the railway station when I moved here in 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

loyatemu wrote: »

Yes that was when Nikki Cox owned it and turned it into a chipper and different type of cafe. They also built a second story to it and lived there. Originally it was an upmarket coffee and scone place for the rich ladies of Greystones to meet and gossip :D. The Copper Kettle goes back even further than 45 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Mossy9

The old Copper Kettle was indeed where Vino Pasta now is.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭virino

Well, I really enjoyed going to the Copper Kettle, and I think that it's a shame that it's gone. I never noticed much of a delay while waiting for service, and found the staff always jolly and friendly, which can't have been easy in the lunchtime rush. The reason they closed was the very high rent on the building, surely the landlord could have come to some agreement on that. It's not going to be easy to re-let the place in these times. They also had a café in the National Garden Centre in Kilquade, I don't know if that has survived. I remember them when they started off in Tesco Greystones, and they were a very hardworking crew. There is a nice place there now, too, called Molly's Kitchen, I think. Now we need one in Kilcoole, for Newcastle folk, of which I am one.

virino wrote: »
    Well, I really enjoyed going to the Copper Kettle, and I think that it's a shame that it's gone. I never noticed much of a delay while waiting for service, and found the staff always jolly and friendly, which can't have been easy in the lunchtime rush. The reason they closed was the very high rent on the building, surely the landlord could have come to some agreement on that. It's not going to be easy to re-let the place in these times. They also had a café in the National Garden Centre in Kilquade, I don't know if that has survived. I remember them when they started off in Tesco Greystones, and they were a very hardworking crew. There is a nice place there now, too, called Molly's Kitchen, I think. Now we need one in Kilcoole, for Newcastle folk, of which I am one.
    I wouldn't go there re the rent,the owner is a friend of mine,you don't know ALL the facts.
    Imo they had too many staff for the size of the place.That's just my opinion mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

Good news. Heard today that the premises have already been let and a similar shop will be opening. I have to agree with Heavyballs, I thought the CK was poor in a number of areas, hopefully the new place will be better. There is certainly the demand as the CK was always busy in spite of its faults.

mirrorball wrote: »
    Good news. Heard today that the premises have already been let and a similar shop will be opening. I have to agree with Heavyballs, I thought the CK was poor in a number of areas, hopefully the new place will be better. There is certainly the demand as the CK was always busy in spite of its faults.

Do you have any further information?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Torres1147

Reopening Soon

WATCH THIS SPACE

THE BREAD BASKET IS OPENING TOMORROW 10AM

Thanks very much for that information, Torres. Will it be a café like before or just a bakery?

Hi , It will be a cafe and a bakery but we have made changes in a few areas to hopefully make it a better place to visit and hopefully we can do enough to make you come see us time and time again.....

I always loved the Copper Kettle, so if the Bread Basket is an improvement how can I not love it!

• Advertisement

see u soon so ????

Absolutely, me or the family or both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Note to new owners(or is it the same original owner?)
    Would like a few less staff than the CK as it seemed like a meet up for mates any time i was in there,staff standind around chatting while i wait there with my hard earned...
    Breakfast was always a bit greasy and a bit expensive imo.
    Cakes were defo too expensive,food in general was always good i have to say.
    I wish them all the best and i for one will be in there tomorrow morn after dropping the kids off to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

heavyballs wrote: »
    Sure is true,sign on the door.
    I'm local but would normally have passed it in my car tbh and go to Donnybrook fair or Greystones as the coffee in the CK was muck.
    I hate seeing local businesses closing.
    However CK was too dear and they had too many staff for the size of the place and although they were friendly they weren't very attentive.
    In fact on 2 occasions I walked out of the place as I was left standing like a spare for nearly 5 mins.

There is a business opportunity there,slightly smaller,simpler operation with really good coffee and a good barista would do it.
    There is a great cafe in Bray,I know people who literally go to Bray just for the expresso there,and don't charge joke prices for cakes like the CK did.

Which one?

Gillington wrote: »
    Which one?

there is only 1 that sells great coffee and that's on the Quinnsboro rd near Dunnes,it's an italian place,no breakfast etc,just coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

The place opened up on the Main Street in Kilcoole does very good coffee. I think it's called coffee to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

mrbrianj wrote: »
    The place opened up on the Main Street in Kilcoole does very good coffee. I think it's called coffee to go?
    beside the chemist?
    I've been there twice this week, very nice coffee, and hot chocolate for the kids went down well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

there is only 1 that sells great coffee and that's on the Quinnsboro rd near Dunnes,it's an italian place,no breakfast etc,just coffee

They also serve gorgeous homemade cakes at very reasonable prices.

Splendour wrote: »

They also serve gorgeous homemade cakes at very reasonable prices.
    Sure do,back to the new copper kettle,still little pricey imo,Brown bread is jum.
    Coffee is ok,best coffee around is the vino pasta cafe imo,when you compare it to the likes of the muck they serve in Starbucks,Insomnia etc difference is huge.

• Advertisement

mrbrianj wrote: »

It's called Koole Company and has the friendliest (if a bit eccentric) owner ever. Great coffee.

As for the Bread Basket, I am so pleased to get our gorgeous bread back. I was unimpressed that it is still 2.95 for a pan but when they told me that the bakers start at 4.30 am I kinda get it now. Still the best bread around.

Kilcoole is rockin it these days what with Nicky and all his trees. :D

The Bread Basket is open 7 weeks now , all comments greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for all your custom , much appreciated

Torres1147 wrote: »
    The Bread Basket is open 7 weeks now , all comments greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for all your custom , much appreciated

Are you doing any specials like a cuppa and a bun for a special price after 2.30 pm etc?

Hi , appreciate the reply , at the moment the [PHP][/PHP]special we do is our lunchtime special of soup and sandwich or filled roll for €7.95 , also some prices have been reduced since our opening. We will look at your suggestion of late afternoon specials , again many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

7.95 for soup and a sandwich? And thats a special? Good luck with that one;)

Have u ever tried it , you do get what you pay for ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 nexlar

I don't think so it is true.

7.95 for soup and a sandwich? And thats a special? Good luck with that one;)
    There is a centra down the road if that's more to your liking.
    You pay 8 euro and believe me you'd be stuffed after it.

nexlar wrote: »
    I don't think so it is true.
    Is this a mantra???? ......I like it...I think.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

While not familiar with your new coffee shop, describing soup and a sandwich / filled roll for €7.95 as a special is unreal. To put it to you this way, you are charging the same or more for the same thing as many other coffee shops in bray, greystones, wicklow town, arklow, gorey etc. And yes, the one in particular i use, which leaves colleagues and i stuffed, do homemade soup of the day, filled roll and small side salad for €5.95 every day.

At €5 it would be fair to call it a special;)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Wholeheartedly

virino wrote: »

The cafe in the Garden Centre was taken over by new management almost a year ago - has anyone tried it? Good food and good value!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Sunbeam61

Are the bakers that worked in the Copper Kettle now working in the Bread Basket ??
    My other half is a connoisseur when it comes to Apple Tarts, he absolutely loves them and must have eaten thousands of different ones over the years. He still maintains that the one I bought him in the Copper Kettle was the best Apple Tart by far that he had ever eaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks I had banned torres1147 for 2 weeks for advertising. It seems though that this thread keeps attracting shilling. I'm closing it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement