Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good choice?

Options
  • 14-08-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

So I've decided on my new card after further research. I think I'll go for Sapphire's/XFX's Radeon 7950 for about 370$ on Amazon.com.

I have a 650 Watt power supply, so I assume that will suffice (even if I overclock). Am I correct in thinking this? Anything major wrong with these cards? From what I've read they're good choices.

Thanks again for all ye're help! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Go for the 950M edition if they are still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Go for the 950M edition if they are still available.
    Why is that?

The board is a 7970 reference board with extra power for over clocking.

Its the OC dual X version with a factory core speed of 950Mhz - People have them running at 1250Mhz on air. Click the link in my sig.

I've seen P scores off it 20% ahead of GTX670 cards.

The board is a 7970 reference board with extra power for over clocking.

Its the OC dual X version with a factory core speed of 950Mhz - People have them running at 1250Mhz on air. Click the link in my sig.

I've seen P scores off it 20% ahead of GTX670 cards.
    Cool, I'll have a look at it. How much more expensive is it?

What do you mean by it has "more power for overclocking"? You mean better cooling so more leeway? I know a bit about computers, but not enough to confidently understand what you're saying :D

7950s have 2 x 6pin power connectors. 7970s have a six pin and an 8 pin delivering more power. That card has the 6+8 config, great cooling and a really good PCB (Printed circuit board). I go mine for €333 which as a flipping steal if its as good as I think it's going to be!

Pics soon!

• Advertisement

7950s have 2 x 6pin power connectors. 7970s have a six pin and an 8 pin delivering more power. That card has the 6+8 config, great cooling and a really good PCB (Printed circuit board). I go mine for €333 which as a flipping steal if its as good as I think it's going to be!

Pics soon!

Cool, €333 is the max I want to spend really :) my 650Watt super flower amazon 80plus is suitable, right? For overclocking too? And I assume my mobo (MSI 770-G45) is good too?

I'll have a look at amazon and hardwareversand. Recommend any other places to look?

Thanks!

I don't know enough about AMD systems to advise you I'm afraid.

650 would be plenty on a current Intel based system. Some older AMD platforms needed their own power station. I think its probably grand.

Are you sure it's called the 950M/7950M? I can't seem to find it anywhere, and of the ones I do find, I'm not sure they are what I'm looking for.

Its hard to find - did you click the link in my sig?

This one? http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=62360&agid=1942&apop=0&lb

340€ seems good. Hopefully shipping isn't expensive :/

For some context, here is my current system. I intend to really OC my CPU to keep it on par with my new GPU.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056699482?page=1#post_79694679

Again, thanks very mic for taking your time to help :)

• Advertisement

Gumbi wrote: »
    This one? http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=62360&agid=1942&apop=0&lb

For some context, here is my current system. I intend to really OC my CPU to keep it on par with my new GPU.

It should be okay - but I'm no AMD expert.

It should be okay - but I'm no AMD expert.
    Thanks. I've gathered that I can hit 3.6Ghz with my cooler. I only want to this this so that my CPU doesn't bottleneck me while gaming seeing as I intend getting such a (good) graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Thanks. I've gathered that I can hit 3.6Ghz with my cooler. I only want to this this so that my CPU doesn't bottleneck me while gaming seeing as I intend getting such a (good) graphics card.

You shouldn't be held back that much, as a phenom overclocked is still a great little chip. Your next upgrade should be the CPU, though.

Eboggles wrote: »

You shouldn't be held back that much, as a phenom overclocked is still a great little chip. Your next upgrade should be the CPU, though.
    Thanks. Yeah, my CPU took a hit as I hit my budget limit 2 years ago :) But I assume if I OC it, it will still be my GPU bottlenecking me while ingame, taking into account that games are GPU than CPU intensive (AFAIK :D).

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-291-SP Is this it?

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/artic...;apop=0&lb

Has anyone dealt with overclockers? Are they good? They are slightly more expensive here, but the shipping may make up the difference.

Nope thats the OC version not as good.

Nope thats the OC version not as good.
    Thanks! Sorry, I'm slightly nooby when it comes to this :P I've dealt with HWVS before, they're good (being German and all helps ;) ). I hope they do cheap delivery.

Thanks for all your help.

I only know about them because EB put me right on what card to get - I asked the exact same questions! Its €19 for delivery but its still a hell of a deal. I'm looking at Benchmarks at high resolutions where these are out pacing 680s!

I only know about them because EB put me right on what card to get - I asked the exact same questions! Its €19 for delivery but its still a hell of a deal. I'm looking at Benchmarks at high resolutions where these are out pacing 680s!
    What the heck I will. :D Yeah I've read a ton of benchmarks for the XFX 7950, and this card is even better again.

I think I'll go for it. I'm selling my GTX 460 768 to my friend for maybe 40 quid, so this should augment the cost a bit :)

I decided to post here instead of opening a new thread.

I have an AMD Phenom II x925 CPU, and the Cooler Master 212+ attached to it. I posted in a thread before that my PC makes a small bit too much noise (at least more than I think it should. I opened up the case with a mind to replace my cooler with the one that came with the CPU. Instead, I listened closely and it seems that my GPU (PALIT GTX 460 768mb) and system fan were not the culprits, seemingly making almost no noise - it was, insofar as I could make out, the 212's fault.

According to my BIOS, it is running at 2000RPM. I researched a bit online and it seems that perhaps it should be in the region of 1400 while idling. If that's correct it would seem to explain my noise issues. MY CPU idles at 30degrees according to my BIOS, which is quite low AFAIK. I tried to tinker with the "auto fan settings" etc in the BIOS, but I'm not confident in that so I'd rather ask here for some help.

Should my cooler be running at 2000 RPM?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Depends from fan to fan but I'd say no - that looks like its stuck on max.

Depends from fan to fan but I'd say no - that looks like its stuck on max.
    Any tips to remedy it? Pity, it's been like this for almost 2 years now ^^

Haha it seems my fan HAS been running at 100% all the timeframe the past few years. I enabled smart fan control in the BIOS, set the min fan speed to 25%, and set the target temp to 45degrees, the temperature at which the fan speed will ramp up. Have I don the correct thing? My computer is sooo much quieter now. xD I feel so stupid :/

Also, should I get a new cooler or should the fan be alright? Seeing as I'm purchasing from HWVS (GPU), and seeing as the postage is already 20euro is it worth it?

Ok I bought that card, but I think my power supply only has 6 pin connectors. I think the car needs a 6 pin and an 8 pin connector. Is there anything I can do or do I absolutely need an 8 and 6 pin connector?

My cabling also makes it really awkward to fit in the case, hopefully I can manage it :/

Thanks.

Ok I bought that card, but I think my power supply only has 6 pin connectors. I think the car needs a 6 pin and an 8 pin connector. Is there anything I can do or do I absolutely need an 8 and 6 pin connector?

My cabling also makes it really awkward to fit in the case, hopefully I can manage it :/

Thanks.

The 950M? Comes with a two molex to 8 pin converter in the box.

Thanks.

The 950M? Comes with a two molex to 8 pin converter in the box.
    You're a lifesaver! Thanks so much. Cabling is a mess. The card is like twice the size of my previous card, the GTX 460. I have to d/c an r/c everything, possibly drill a hole in my case :D

Wish me luck ;) Thanks for your help.

Ok, so I still use the 6 pin, in addition to connecting up the 2 "molex" connections that come from the 8 pin connector?

Ok, so I still use the 6 pin, in addition to connecting up the 2 "molex" connections that come from the 8 pin connector?

Yep

Ok, I connecting it all now that I have cable ties. My PSU cables are so thick :/

My 2 molex connectors have 3 pins in them, whereas there are 4 "receivers" on my 2 PSU connections. Is this correct? I'm finding it tough for them to fit smoothly into each other.

• Advertisement

Molex are a PITA - As long as they are the right way round (if you look they are curved on one side) thats grand.

Advertisement