Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Remember Me" - new game from Capcom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Seems the game hit the net yesterday. In two minds weather to watch some YoutTube videos on not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Got a 5.9 on IGN and a 7 on Eurogamer. Dissapointing :(
    I still want to play it for myself, even if only for the setting and story.
    Just might wait until it drops a bit in price now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Preordered it a few days ago. Regardless of review scores i'm still looking forward to it. The backstory on the website (which took me hours to read through it was superbly detailed) is truly excellent.

Seems to be quite a small game if it's size means anything, 6.2 gig preload on steam. Still, it's pretty much the only new release in the last few months that has interested me outside of indie games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Bit dissappointed from reading the reviews but still wanting to try the game as the setting and story has me interested. Hopefully they build on that part of the game as the combat and exploration doesn't really seem up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It's gotten more positive reviews from the sites I generally frequent so definitely going to be picking this up after my current Dark Souls playthrough. The world, narrative and art style look pretty fantastic so even if the gameplay isn't as good I can't see myself being too disappointed.

I did find this comment particularly amusing from the Kotaku review...
    *eyeroll at combos*

Seriously?!?! I'm supposed to remember to tap Y four times, X once, Y twice, then X once when I'm in the middle of a fight? And that's just one out of what looks like four possible combos. Am I the only one put off by this? As appealing as the story/setting/game seems and as much as I'd like to support new IPs, I know I'll just end up raging...

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah, memorising combos doesn't bother me so if reviews have marked it down for that kind of thing I'm not concerned. I haven't read any reviews, just looked at scores. 6.8 on Gametrailers but IGN Italy did give it a 8.5!

From the couple of the reivews I've read/seen their main gripes seem to be with the combat i.e. gets a bit repetative and the platforming sections have a bit too many hand holding sections so are also a bit samey.

These are all user specific so what may bother one review might not bother another. I'm still looking forward to playing it though as I feel the setting/story will be worth it especially if the website is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

sin0city wrote: »
    Yeah, memorising combos doesn't bother me so if reviews have marked it down for that kind of thing I'm not concerned. I haven't read any reviews, just looked at scores. 6.8 on Gametrailers but IGN Italy did give it a 8.5!
    Lesson for the day:

Don't look at scores, read the reviews.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Lesson for the day:

Don't look at scores, read the reviews.

Thanks for that pearl of wisdom there :rolleyes:
    but the reason I didn't read the reviews is because I wanted to avoid any possible story spoilers. As I said, I will play it for myself anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

So is the general feeling something like "Great story/setting let down by slightly repetitive combat/platforming"?

Because if that's all they have to gripe about I might well be all over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Looks like one I'll pick up when the price drops. I have plenty on my plate at the moment anyway with Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us.

c'mon unlock already! :)

I've already thrown this onto the backburner.

my two cents.. no spoilers, just opinion.

It looks pretty, it's got decent lore.

it's also got a shoddy elastic banding camera. Awkward platform jumping/climbing and quick time events. Although the QTE's are few and far between they just reminded me of what i hated about tombraider. The game is on rails though it tries hard to tell you it's not, it most definetly is.
    Nilin's voice acting is above average, some of the others are below average, and cheesy even for a game.

The combat will be enjoyed by lots of people, but i just dislike the idea of having to use timed combo's. They can be customised to a certain extent though you can never change the pattern ie: kick punch kick kick punch punch will always be that same pattern, but you can alter the type of kick and punch and their beneficial effects such as damage, health regen, focus regen, and cooldown regen etc..

I know i'm being really negative about this game and it doesnt deserve all of that without some positivity. The game as i said is very pretty, the people and places looks realistic, the character models are very well done. Some of the voice acting is good. And the story is (if you can bear the cheesy dialogue) good. The memory remixing is innovative and i really enjoyed what little there is of it in the first 4 chapters.

I'm with the critics on this i'm afraid, it's not going to score above 80%, i'd be surprised if it scored over 75% anywhere.

My advice to anyone considering buying it would be to grab it in a sale.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

How long did you spend playing it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"80% game... buy it for a fiver in six months"

this industry is in great shape

Azza wrote: »
    How long did you spend playing it?

4 or 5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Where did you get that from?

Newaglish wrote: »
    Where did you get that from?

I believe he's taking the micky out of my post, as i agreed with the critics reviews and advised anyone thinking of buying it to wait for a sale rather than be disappointed by this dull affair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I assume that was at least partially aimed at me so 70% and I rarely buy games near release date. Doesn't take long for a price drop either, Bioshock Infinite is already down to less than €24.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

The PC version is just under £25 on SimplyGames.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

sin0city wrote: »
    Got a 5.9 on IGN and a 7 on Eurogamer. Dissapointing :(
    I still want to play it for myself, even if only for the setting and story.
    Just might wait until it drops a bit in price now.

Does anyone really care about Eurogamer ?

Reviews on some of them sites are just one persons opinion.

I'll wait till there are more posts on here from people who've played it.

I've also taken to watching streams on Twitch.TV of new games to base my purchases on, really helps.

A few people streaming it atm

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Remember%20Me

SeantheMan wrote: »

A review is supposed to be just one persons opinion.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Does anyone really care about Eurogamer ?

I'll wait till there are more posts on here from people who've played it.

I've also taken to watching streams on Twitch.TV of new games to base my purchases on, really helps.

A few people streaming it atm

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Remember%20Me

I just hoped it would be well received. Obviously reviews are subjective although it's a fair bet that if a game is getting a lot of 4s you're gonna have a bad time.

People's posts on here are just one person's opinion too.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'm enjoying it so far. About 4 hours in.

Gameplay is good, not amazing. Combat system is like a more limited version of Arkham Asylum. You have less options but I think it takes a little more skill than the combat system in those games (although I didn't try the Arkham games on the unlockable hardest difficulty). Animations aren't as quite as good either and there isn't as many variations in them. No gadgets or weapons either. Its just melee combat.

Climbing is like Assassins Creed, pretty much auto pilot.

Memory remix is quite cool.

Storywise its decent so far. Decent voice acting.

Setting and atmosphere is pretty cool. It looks good from a technical point of view but but not amazing. Art direction is better still. Like Blade Runner only set during the day with better weather.

Environments are quite narrow and the camera is too close to the player character. Not proven too much of a issue so far, but I hope they patch it and give players a better field of view.

Yeah I picked this up when I first came out and finished it over the weekend.

It's a short enough game but the story kept me entertained throughout, more then the gameplay did in some parts unfortunately.

The platforming was all very auto pilot as mentioned but did what it was supposed to do by getting you from A to B, just not much fun doing so. There's no exploration whatsoever which I feel was a major loss as the setting is amazing and its a city I'd love to explore. Reminded me a bit of Mirrors Edge.

I'm still not sure if I liked the combat system or not. The ability to mix up the powers in your combos was something I used quite a lot and found it easy to do mid fight but I had serious issues completing some of the longer combos so ended up using customised versionsof the smaller ones all the time. The camera was also more of a hinderence then a help and required constant moving around.

Easily the best part were the memory remix scenes but unfortunately there were not many of them in the game.

Overall I did enjoy but felt it could have been so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Eli Nich

Oh damn the starting speech of the old woman and then the younger one, took me ages and I was getting late for breakfast so I just alt + f4 and thumbs up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'd be thoroughly enjoying this game if it didn't freeze up every 30 minutes or so. It's hardly too much to ask for some stability in a finished product, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

One annoyance so far is that the lipsync is off on some of the scenes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished this the other day, and in a way it reminded me of those ambitious but uneven 'mid-tier' games of the PS2 era. This is both a good and a bad thing.

Its various gameplay systems are quite intriguing. I grew to really like the combo system as the game wore on. It nudges you in the right direction, but also trusts you enough to determine your own playing style. For example, I only learned late on how valuable it was to exclusively assign healing and recharge presens to the short combos, and that really suited the way I was fighting through the game. Similarly, the 'remixing' sequences were a curious idea, that tied in nicely with the game's narrative arc and themes. Especially interesting was the last one, where
    it goes a bit Inception-y and you get to remix a memory within a memory!

But it's a game that frustrates in execution. The remixes felt fiddly. The enemy designs were often idiotic: the invisible ones, with the designers forcing you to constantly switch on floodlights for brief periods, were some of the most irritating, contrived enemies I've encountered in a game since the Flood. The Enforcers weren't much better, although at least with the health pre-sens they at least sort of worked. Most criminally, though, was how much they wasted the setting. For a rich, diverse dystopia, it was unfortunate how often they funneled you down bland industrial corridors or half-assed platforming sequences. It all blurred into itself from an early point onwards: the occasional skylines indicating a strange, fascinating world just outside of your reach. The level design itself was similarly bland. Also, the delivery of the story was a bit ****ty.

It's an interesting game, and in a way I'd like to see the ideas refined because there's a lot of potential there, and irregularly that potential is just about realised. But too often the application of the ideas is too uninspired, and too often I was left with a game that was so much better in theory than execution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm not sure how you even managed to play through it. I played it for rougly 1 to 2 hours and just couldn't enjoy it at all.

Didn't think the combo system was particularly interesting and absolutely hated that it showed me exactly where to go, especially when climbing.

Deleted it off the PS3 there yesterday in fact. Shame.. as it looked like it had promise prior to it's release.

Advertisement