Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running shoes - change every 6 months

Options
  • 14-08-2012 4:13pm

Is this just a myth spread in the interest of shoe manufacturers and retailers or it is really true. Obviously a shoe will wear out with miles accumulated running but are we really expected to believe that the shoe material degrades due to time alone? Fair enough over 3 to 5 years but in 6 months....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

I reckon if you use a "support" or structured shoe and you are running heavy miles then id change them as the "support" features that your feet and legs are used to will break down. This could lead to the shoe over supporting in some areas and under supporting in others and this could lead to niggles or worse. However if you use a flat neutral shoe, the cushoning may break down giving a firmer feel but it shouldnt change the way the shoe works (unless there is some very obvious uneven wear). I run mostly in flats so i wear them till they fall apart basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Glasso, I'd work off the mileage as being a rough guide to the life of the shoe rather than a time stamp.

With 500 miles being a rough guide to the resiliance of the midsole compounds. The total amount of force or energy absorbed by the compounds before elasticity is effected averages to around 500 miles of running impact.

Obviously this will vary up and down all over the place depending on so many different factors of body weight, foot strike, shoe structure, surface conditions etc. If soemone is comfortable and running uninjured at 1000 miles in a shoe, there is no 'need' to change it.

Its simply for people to be aware that on average a shoe will last 500 miles and to be conscious of changes in feel, niggles or otherwise in that 400+ bracket of total distances. Better to change just before your threshold distance (learnt by experience what this is individually) or rotate a couple of pairs constantly through (if you're doing big mileage).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I am wearing a pair of Mizuno wave 8 since April but wouldn't be up to 500 miles in them yet. They're very comfortable but I've noticed the odd time after a lsr and again on Sunday after a half marathon a pain in the arch of my foot. I've looked at the shoes and the heel especially is wearing on the inside. I've also been to a physical therapist about 2 weeks ago and she advised me to come back for a gait scan to get orthotics. I haven't been back cause I don't want orthotics. So my questions are 1) does it sound like I need new shoes and 2) should I get gait analysis done.....I know from all I've read on boards that amphibianking is the best place to get this done but its a bit of a pain in the ass cause 2 hr drive to dub

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I am wearing a pair of Mizuno wave 8 since April but wouldn't be up to 500 miles in them yet. They're very comfortable but I've noticed the odd time after a lsr and again on Sunday after a half marathon a pain in the arch of my foot. I've looked at the shoes and the heel especially is wearing on the inside. I've also been to a physical therapist about 2 weeks ago and she advised me to come back for a gait scan to get orthotics. I haven't been back cause I don't want orthotics. So my questions are 1) does it sound like I need new shoes and 2) should I get gait analysis done.....I know from all I've read on boards that amphibianking is the best place to get this done but its a bit of a pain in the ass cause 2 hr drive to dub

Are you near Cork ?

Nope....roscrea....i'm thinking i'm just going to have to head up to dublin at the weekend :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Oranmore any good to you?

Oranmore any good to you?
    Haha no Dublin is nearer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Why no AK in Cork ? If there would be then career_move would be 1hr 35 mins away exactly from all 3 shops. Perfect symmetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nope....roscrea....i'm thinking i'm just going to have to head up to dublin at the weekend :(

Is Cashel any good? These guys are there: http://www.brehonsports.ie/

They have gotten pretty good reviews on here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056457671

menoscemo wrote: »
    Is Cashel any good? These guys are there: http://www.brehonsports.ie/

They have gotten pretty good reviews on here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056457671
    Deadly thanks :D I can go there tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement