Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uefa - Best player in Europe shortlist announced

• 14-08-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭

I guess anyone with a football brain would have predicted the nominees

Nice to see Pirlo got a mention though, coming 4th :)
    Has to be given to Messi though.

Spain-based trio Andrés Iniesta, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are in line to receive the UEFA Best Player in Europe Award on 30 August following the announcement of the shortlist.
    Messi – the recipient of the accolade 12 months ago – FC Barcelona team-mate Iniesta and Real Madrid CF's Ronaldo gained the most points in a vote involving 53 sports journalists representing each of the UEFA member associations.

Iniesta's Spain colleague Xavi Hernández, second in the inaugural poll of 2011, finished fifth, just behind one of his opponents in the UEFA EURO 2012 final, Juventus and Italy playmaker Andrea Pirlo. The top three will now go into a deciding vote in Monaco during the UEFA Champions League group stage draw on 30 August.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

No Charlie Adam or Joe Cole? Whadda joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Mats Hummels not mentioned either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Messi should get it but i would not be suprised if Ronaldo did. Won the league, went far in Europe(joint top scorer) and scored nearly as many goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Messi should get it but i would not be suprised if Ronaldo did. Won the league, went far in Europe(joint top scorer) and scored nearly as many goals.

Reading that, I am thinking...why is it always about how many goals someone scores and not, how many goals you prevent from being scored? Borussia Dortmund's defense line was outstanding the last two seasons. Hummels or Schmelzer, just to mention two of the world class defenders

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Reading that, I am thinking...why is it always about how many goals someone scores and not, how many goals you prevent from being scored? Borussia Dortmund's defense line was outstanding the last two seasons. Hummels or Schmelzer, just to mention two of the world class defenders

If Paolo Maldini never won the Balon D'or or FIFA Pro award and Canavarro only won it because ITaly won the world cup (despite the fact that Canavarro had been extremely "Meh" at club level) nobody has a chance unless they captian their country to a WC/EC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Yeah, it's kind of bad that defenders and keepers don't have a hope. Also, the lack of Les Davies on that shortlist is a massive oversight, in my view...

If Ronaldo('s team) hadn't tanked the two semis this year, he'd be a dead cert. Probably edged Messi when it counted towards the end of last season, but it'll be given to Messi anyway. Messi'll win it in 2013 even if he breaks his leg in the second game of the season and doesn't come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

Surely Messi's.

Marca have rigged their poll as usual. Messi had a good lead up until about fifteen minutes ago. Since then, Iniesta appears to have got just fifteen votes while CR has had a sudden boost of more than 3000. Desperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

On account of Barca not winning the league and the fact that Real and Spain were successful, a good suggestion I heard was to give it to Casillas, as a recognition of what he's done over the years, as well as this year. It wasn't an idea that got any major momentum going for it though.

I think Messi will win it and of the favourites, he merits it most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ronaldo for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think last season Ronaldo was better, won the league, went further in the CL, and especially in light of his performances at the Euros where he was outstanding and went out to the winners on penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

PHB wrote: »
    I think last season Ronaldo was better, went further in the CL, .

:confused:

I think you'll find they both made the semi's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yeah but Real played more minutes, so the played more cl football so they went further.

/marca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Les Davies was robbed. Definitely should be in the final 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

PHB wrote: »
    I think last season Ronaldo was better, won the league, went further in the CL, and especially in light of his performances at the Euros where he was outstanding and went out to the winners on penalties.
    Individually, Messi was better, outscored and out-assisted Ronaldo in every competition, including internationals where he played 5 fewer games. Ronaldo played a game less in the league but scored 4 fewer goals and 4 fewer assists. Messi undoubtedly deserves it. Had RM went on to win the CL or Portugal the EC then Ronaldo would have a case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

I can see where this thread is going to end up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Messi scored 81 goals for club and country over the last 12 months.

He's clearly the best player on the planet and should win this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Ronaldo FTW.

He better enjoy it tho, it's gonna be Bebe's award for at least the next 10 years :pac:

#BebeLikeABoss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Blatter wrote: »
    Messi scored 81 goals for club and country over the last 12 months.

He's clearly the best player on the planet and should win this again.

He also lost the league by 9 points.

It was close before the Euro's to be fair, but given Ronaldo's contributions to Portugal and qualifing from the group of death, along with winning La Liga puts him out in front this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He also lost the league by 9 points.

It was close before the Euro's to be fair, but given Ronaldo's contributions to Portugal and qualifing from the group of death, along with winning La Liga puts him out in front this year.

I couldn't give a toss that Ronaldo won La Liga and Messi didn't.

Winning leagues is about the team, not one player. This is an individual award supposed to be given to the 'best' player, and Messi is clearly better the best footballer on the planet.

Blatter wrote: »
    I couldn't give a toss that Ronaldo won La Liga and Messi didn't.

Winning leagues is about the team, not one player. This is an individual award supposed to be given to the 'best' player, and Messi is clearly better the best footballer on the planet.

Wether or not he is 'the best player on the planet' has little pull on the achievements of both in a single year. At club level Messi, although contributing less to the team goals than Ronaldo, creates more oppurtunities which would argue his case at club level. But you have to take into account the performances of Ronaldo at a major international tournament. He has much less of a supporting case as Messi does with Argentina, which results in more attention from the opposition. Yet he still performs as expected. Messi on the other hand has not, or has never at a major tournament.

I have no bias to either player so I would consider my opinion to be objective. Taking this year alone, Ronaldo has been the better player. This is not to say he IS the better player overall, but his performances this year have outweighed Messi's.

Praise should be given where due.

BEsides the argument between the two is irrelevant anyway, as obviously the No.1 player last year was Super Mario. In just one season he has become the Chuck Norris of Football. A feet I don't see either favourite accomplishing in their lifetime :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Messi by a distance.

His goalscoring record and overall team contribution over the last 12 months may be the best 12 months from a footballer ever.

Ronaldo is a great player in his own right, but he's unlucky to be hitting top for at the same time that Messi is. No shame in being second to this lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Messi the better footballer, over Ronaldo the better athlete imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

He broke the biggest goalscoring record in history last season,

Most goals in a single season- 73
    Most goals in a league season- 50
    Most goals in a champions league season - 14

I agree with the others who say that "team achievements shouldn't be factored"

It's a pity though as said that certain players, or types don't get a mention.

Iker is being touted for the Ballon D'or though because he won the Euros and WC.

I would like to see Iniesta win - because I like him and his style. But the fact is, there is only 1 player. "Best player in Europe" , and we all know who it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yet he still performs as expected. Messi on the other hand has not, or has never at a major tournament.

Myth. For a start, Ronaldo only played well for two games of the Euros. He was diabolical in the others, and lets not forget his hero penalty moment that never came about because of his arrogance. Also, Messi does perform for Argentina, it's just that he doesn't play in the same way as for Barca. At least in 2010, he was much more withdrawn but because he didn't score, he was criticised, despite playing superbly for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I would like to see Iniesta win - because I like him and his style. But the fact is, there is only 1 player. "Best player in Europe" , and we all know who it is

Completely agree with this - one of the best players I think I'll ever have the pleasure of watching.

Myth. For a start, Ronaldo only played well for two games of the Euros. He was diabolical in the others, and lets not forget his hero penalty moment that never came about because of his arrogance. Also, Messi does perform for Argentina, it's just that he doesn't play in the same way as for Barca. At least in 2010, he was much more withdrawn but because he didn't score, he was criticised, despite playing superbly for the most part.

It's not a myth though, it's fact. I don't know how playing in the hole is considered withdrawn to be honest, and is that not the position he plays with Barca? As he has been moved forward with Barca, he had the same shift in the national team.

And of course Messi hasn't missed an important penalty this season, because it isn't important to reach a CL final?

It's not a myth though, it's fact. I don't know how playing in the hole is considered withdrawn to be honest, and is that not the position he plays with Barca? As he has been moved forward with Barca, he had the same shift in the national team.

And of course Messi hasn't missed an important penalty this season, because it isn't important to reach a CL final?

I didn't say anything about Messi missing a penalty. Just keep in mind that Ronaldo didn't have as good a Euros as people seem to be making out, based on two games.

And Messi plays nearly as a striker these days for Barca. He's the focal point of the attack, not the case with Argentina, as they have the likes of Tevez, Higuain and Aguero up front too, and as a result Messi plays deeper to contribute more to the play and less to the goals. Not that he doesn't get his fair share, 7 goals in 3 games in 2012 compared to Ronaldo's 3 goals in 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Messi will win this - thread closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,676 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Messi will get again

• Advertisement

I didn't say anything about Messi missing a penalty. Just keep in mind that Ronaldo didn't have as good a Euros as people seem to be making out, based on two games.

And Messi plays nearly as a striker these days for Barca. He's the focal point of the attack, not the case with Argentina, as they have the likes of Tevez, Higuain and Aguero up front too, and as a result Messi plays deeper to contribute more to the play and less to the goals. Not that he doesn't get his fair share, 7 goals in 3 games in 2012 compared to Ronaldo's 3 goals in 8.

I know youdidn't hence why I brought it up. You made the point that Ronaldo did, so I thought I may as well add that too.

Ronaldo actually did have a good Euro's, and it was in three games people are referring. If he wasn't that dangerous why then did Spain triple team him to try to control him? That game was more about stopping Ronaldo than beating Portugal, which for me is a huge compliments from the Triple Kings of International football.

I was going to ask where you got those stats for goals/game, but thought I'd check Wikipedia first. Sure if it's on there it must be true :rolleyes:

Ronaldo has 7 in 9 for the qualifiers (2011) and 3 in 5 in the Euros (2012)

Messi had 0 in 4 for friendlies, inc the Superclasico which they lost (2011) and 6 in 2 for friendlies (2012)

Messi is a fantastic club player, prob the greatest of all time. But he still has done nothing of achievment at international level.

My point is that it was close at club level this year between the two, with Messi slightly the better. But adding the international achievments over the same period puts Ronaldo ahead for this years title.

I know youdidn't hence why I brought it up. You made the point that Ronaldo did, so I thought I may as well add that too.

Ronaldo actually did have a good Euro's, and it was in three games people are referring. If he wasn't that dangerous why then did Spain triple team him to try to control him? That game was more about stopping Ronaldo than beating Portugal, which for me is a huge compliments from the Triple Kings of International football.

I was going to ask where you got those stats for goals/game, but thought I'd check Wikipedia first. Sure if it's on there it must be true :rolleyes:

Ronaldo has 7 in 9 for the qualifiers (2011) and 3 in 5 in the Euros (2012)

Messi had 0 in 4 for friendlies, inc the Superclasico which they lost (2011) and 6 in 2 for friendlies (2012)

Messi is a fantastic club player, prob the greatest of all time. But he still has done nothing of achievment at international level.

My point is that it was close at club level this year between the two, with Messi slightly the better. But adding the international achievments over the same period puts Ronaldo ahead for this years title.

What has Ronaldo achieved at international level? He's won less than Messi, who at least has an Olympic gold to his name. And it wasn't Wikipedia by the way, less assumptions please. Ronaldo was fantastic this year, don't get me wrong, but Messi was better. Ignoring team honours as it's about the player, his stats are better, and it's clear to anyone that knows football that he's been the best in the world yet again. You can't say that Messi is the best player in the world but Ronaldo was better this year, as Messi has improved on last season.

What has Ronaldo achieved at international level? He's won less than Messi, who at least has an Olympic gold to his name. And it wasn't Wikipedia by the way, less assumptions please. Ronaldo was fantastic this year, don't get me wrong, but Messi was better. Ignoring team honours as it's about the player, his stats are better, and it's clear to anyone that knows football that he's been the best in the world yet again. You can't say that Messi is the best player in the world but Ronaldo was better this year, as Messi has improved on last season.

So where did you pull it from then?

Is that gem not an assumption?

I think what you're getting at is minus Real winning the league and not taking international football into account then Messi is the better player this year. Which I agree with.

However taking all into account, which I believe it should be, then Ronaldo has been better.

But from the general view so far in the thread, it doesn't matter what argument is made, 'I love Messi' trumps all. :rolleyes:

So where did you pull it from then?

Is that gem not an assumption?

I think what you're getting at is minus Real winning the league and not taking international football into account then Messi is the better player this year. Which I agree with.

However taking all into account, which I believe it should be, then Ronaldo has been better.

But from the general view so far in the thread, it doesn't matter what argument is made, 'I love Messi' trumps all. :rolleyes:

It is an assumption, yes. But it's the widely accepted opinion that Messi is the best player in the world.

Real winning the league shouldn't come into it, as it's an individual award.

I'm including internationals in my comparison, but Messi still comes out on top. 73 goals, 29 assists for club alone - this is the point that you're forgetting. Nobody has ever done that before, it's a ridiculous amount of goals. And I feel that he should be recognised for that.

It is an assumption, yes. But it's the widely accepted opinion that Messi is the best player in the world.

Real winning the league shouldn't come into it, as it's an individual award.

I'm including internationals in my comparison, but Messi still comes out on top. 73 goals, 29 assists for club alone - this is the point that you're forgetting. Nobody has ever done that before, it's a ridiculous amount of goals. And I feel that he should be recognised for that.

Well if you feel that strongly about it why not send him some flowers then.

Well if you feel that strongly about it why not send him some flowers then.

Well that's that argument over then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

This thread is turning into a farce I tell's ye!

Advertisement