Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance- Brain in Meltdown

Options
  • 14-08-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have been looking at how to apply for rent allowance as a single person and have figured that out fine. . .but it's the couples rent allowance that I am looking to get but I have heard that if you register as a couple with the social that one half of the couple gets a certain amount of their Jobseekers allowance cut, is there any truth in that?
    Also our rent is €530 which seems to be over the limit for our county (even though our place is one of the cheapest in town) will we still qualify?
    I know that it's on the citizens information and social welfare webpages but the way it's phrased is all gobbildly gook to me
    Please help my brains are dripping out my ears at this stage! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Also our rent is €530 which seems to be over the limit for our county (even though our place is one of the cheapest in town) will we still qualify?
    Maybe. My tenants pay 900 a month in D15, although the limit is supposed to be 745 since January. I was asked to sign a form stating rent and I put down the 900 (some landlords fraudulently declare a lower rent but this is asking for trouble IMO) and the tenants are still there in receipt of their RS. They may be told to find something for that price (if they do they'll have to leave unfortunately-I'm already slightly below the market rate for the area with 900 and while I could conceivably go down a bit because they are great tenants, not down to 745)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ZonkedZombie88

Ok so I'm safe enough then with the whole rates thing I suppose :) that's a one thing off my mind . . .now to just find out what the story is with couples rent allowance and how it'll affect our jobseekers allowance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

Ok so I'm safe enough then with the whole rates thing I suppose :) that's a one thing off my mind . . .now to just find out what the story is with couples rent allowance and how it'll affect our jobseekers allowance :)

My friend had her payment cut in half.
    As you will know be cohabiting and therefore your allowance will more than likely be classed as one person plus one adult dependant, not two single adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Em your not safe as regards to rates, it depends on your cwo if they will accept your rent being above the allowed or not, and some are more strict than others so its all depends.

Also if you are over the limit then be aware that this is what keeps the rental high...tenants on SW paying above the odds for properties and/or lying about it on their rent allowance form this means LL's dont lower rents and it makes it harder for those who are on RA to get good accommodation, this may be fine if your single or in a couple but when you add kids to this equation then its not fine as most can not add anymore than what is required by the SW to their rents and shouldnt have to either. And social housing is not the answer as it take years for it to be allocated to people and RA is not a long term thing for most people in receipt of it these days but drive people into terrible conditions if they have fallen on hard times due to the recession...so think about what lying does if you are inclined to go that way

As per your social welfare, if your both on JSB then it will be the max amount as per a single person (188.80 each per week) regardless of if you are cohabiting or not, but if your on the means tested JSA then its a couples allowance, even if one of you is on JSB then the other is a dependant adult and you can get the max for a couple which is 312.80 per week

http://www.inou.ie/welfarerights/unemployedjobseeker/qualifiedadults.html

Advertisement