Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batten down the hatches!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It's actually better weather than we've had over the last few days in Galway. It's still wet but we had a few heavy showers lashing down and it's not even drizzling at the mo. It's saying something about the weather we get when I'm disappointed by the veracity of rainfall we should be receiving. There's something cozy about heavy rain. Can't even have that, just typical boring half arsed grey dampness. We live on a miserly little stone. I'm going to start worshiping Thor, God of Thunder.

BRING IT. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Where's the storm light breeze at the moment with light to medium drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

The sun is trying to break though in Cork city??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Weatherman: "Some short dry spells of sunshine tomorrow......."

*tomorrow comes*

"Oh look, it's the Four Horsemen........."

Hopefully we'll see some hurricane force winds later this evening, because what we have got so far is nothing more than a damp squib.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Storm me bollix,

I get the impression met eireann exaggerate so they don't get sued if they didn't give a warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I just rolled over on me left ball :( I blame Met Eireann, it's all the scare mongering about this hurricane/storm that made me panic and do it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

didnt get much of a 'storm' in arklow. just light breeze and rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Why do Met Eireann always have to exaggerate the weather? When they are on the ball we never believe them and are under-prepared like the great snow of Winter 10/11 and the great floods of 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Casillas wrote: »
    The sun is trying to break though in Cork city??!

No! I was hoping Cork would get battered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I is disappoint.

where is wind vortex to snatch up OAPs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Move it along people. Nothing to see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

ilovesleep wrote: »
    No! I was hoping Cork would get battered.

It's a bit breezy here in Cork now, few light showers, it's ok like ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

I've heard it comes at 6:30:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

jesus,we'll be lucky to come out of this with our lives lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, this is a little bit like earlier this year when there was talk of "monster rain" and more 8-foot floods in Dublin. I think I can see some sunshine breaking through in Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Very blustery now in Cork City. Broken branches around. Feels like it's getting worse as regards wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

We are on the north east coast line. Its very blustery and lashing rain so naturally we are packing a picnic and heading to a beach near us to watch the monster waves :D.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

You need to be in an old house to enjoy a good storm...the older the better . At night with the lights off is best with some old soundtrack from a 40s horror movie playing and windows slightly open to hear the ivy tapping,,,weird operatic chant and you are miles out in the countryside .........on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

Meteorologist Vincent O'Shea said that while a storm,not a hurricane, is expected
    Met Éireann has said parts of the country will see conditions similar to those experienced during Hurricane Charlie in August 1986.

Typical storm in a teacup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

What happened was the storm headed towards Ireland, saw what was on offer and said fuk this I'm going to a better country

Even the storms don't want to come here. Damn you recession :mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

What a **** storm.

I am thoroughly disappointed. This is a complete and utter disgrace. Met Eireann have a lot to answer for, there are a lot of VERY disappointed people out there and I am one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I took a picture of the storm that's currently raging outside my door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Very blustery now in Cork City. Broken branches around. Feels like it's getting worse as regards wind.

Some good news at last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Sun has come out now in South Dublin. Looking like a nice day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

BBQ this evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Shryke wrote: »
    I took a picture of the storm that's currently raging outside my door.

Christ, save yourself, there's no time for the young uns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Christ, Dublin sees no sign of a storm, therefore everywhere must be sunshine and flowers:rolleyes:

http://www.portofwaterford.com/webcam.php

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Christ, Dublin sees no sign of a storm, therefore everywhere must be sunshine and flowers:rolleyes:

http://www.portofwaterford.com/webcam.php

Ah in fairness, it's not like we think everywhere else is sunshine and flowers. It's just that we absolutely don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I heard that Donegal hoteliers are ready to sue Met Eireann over the no show as they'd advertised a storm chasers special that was booked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

In the words of Eamon Dunphy- 'No No, Its not a great storm its a good storm. Certainly not a world class storm'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

The monsoon is a monlater.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

The storm has passed, you can come out now. Still a blustery evening though. Think yesterday was last day of summer :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

extreme heavy rain here in Kerry all day, lots of flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Stinicker wrote: »
    extreme heavy rain here in Kerry all day, lots of flooding.

Where you stuck? South Kerry? We had heavy rain here in Tralee this morning but it cleared up,just a small bit windy that was it so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Not too bad in Cork City now. A bit blustery and showery but still going to football 7. :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's outright sunny in Dublin right now, though starting to drizzle. Is there supposed to be worse later?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

So according to the herald it was the worst storm in 25 years lol, what are those people on ?. http://www.herald.ie/news/worst-storm-in-25-years-3201142.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ah the RTE weather forecast...failing upwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Not too bad in Cork City now. A bit blustery and showery but still going to football 7. :)

sure its sunny where we are! :D

• Advertisement

We had two ten minute heavy rainfalls earlier and a brisk wind for an hour in swords and the sun has being out in intervals since. I'd say it was windy down the very south shores but realistically this wasn't a storm, it was a gale.

My ex wife use to let off more wind than i seen today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Where you stuck? South Kerry? We had heavy rain here in Tralee this morning but it cleared up,just a small bit windy that was it so far

South East Kerry, bucketing it down for the entire day, it will ease of to drizzle for about 5mins and then resume as a tropical downpour.

When is the Major Storm coming.

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    When is the Major Storm coming.

What storm ?. It passed ages ago. It's long gone now. You must have blinked when it passed over us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Higher wrote: »
    What a **** storm.

I am thoroughly disappointed. This is a complete and utter disgrace. Met Eireann have a lot to answer for, there are a lot of VERY disappointed people out there and I am one of them.

Actually they have nothing to answer for, aside from ignorant general public who listen to the media (which isnt met eireann) that took things out of context and dont understand weather. You should have known better anyway. This happens every single year and every single year the same whingers come along saying they were mislead.

There are extreme gusts and rain showers all over the country today, the worst have probably past but its still far worse than what we usually get.

Rivers have burst their banks, road visibility was reduced to near 0 with rain this morning at about 9am, winds are gusting at severe speeds for ships and aircraft, sporting events have been called off.
    Storm in Ireland =/= Roofs ripping off houses and hurricanes. You have the media to blame for that one, only wanting to make an extra euro for the fools who will listen to them.

And chances are if you live in Dublin, you havent even seen a quarter of what the storm has done. Along the souther coast is worse.

zenno wrote: »
    What storm ?. It passed ages ago. It's long gone now. You must have blinked when it passed over us.

Well there's always next year.

Met Eireann can barely predict what the weather will be the following day never mind a gale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Well I certainly felt and saw the fury of the storm today along the South Coast. I was awake from 4 until about 7ish with wind howling and very heavy rain battering against my bedroom window. There is localised flooding and the amount of bins blown over and large branches strewn on the roads shows that this was a decent storm!

Jogathon wrote: »
    Well I certainly felt and saw the fury of the storm today along the South Coast. I was awake from 4 until about 7ish with wind howling and very heavy rain battering against my bedroom window. There is localised flooding and the amount of bins blown over and large branches strewn on the roads shows that this was a decent storm!

People keep getting mixed up with gale-force winds and a storm, if it was a storm you would not have a roof, never mind wheelie bins, a small gust of wind would blow them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Well I'm in Dublin and its getting really windy now, once there's no lightning I'm happy

• Advertisement
Advertisement