Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batten down the hatches!

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Met eireann said that east leinster would be worst affected from the rain and the Storm force easterly winds, maybe it is delayed a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

zenno wrote: »
    People keep getting mixed up with gale-force winds and a storm, if it was a storm you would not have a roof, never mind wheelie bins, a small gust of wind would blow them over.

God, how patronising. Looking at the Beaufort Scale, and having seen the waves today in the sea then I would rate it as being a 9. That's only one off an official storm. I had to move two large branches from my driveway before I could drive out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Well the big storm blew a towel off the line, it was awful, I would have brought it in but I was to afraid to go out.:(

I never want to experience a big storm again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Blue skies have gone here,started to rain heavy,still calm enough though,come on storm lets be having you,and if theres Thunder sing the Thunder Buddies song :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Dart services badly affected since this morning and currently one line is closed due to a tree down on the tracks.

Also, the worst of the storm has past! Im willing to bed a large amount of ye moaners were a sleep up until midday (including myself, Ill admit). I heard some terrible rain at about 9am but Im a heavy enough sleeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Colmustard wrote: »
    Well the big storm blew a towel off the line, it was awful, I would have brought it in but I was to afraid to go out.:(

I never want to experience a big storm again.

Are you okay, it seems to have been a truly frightening experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Jogathon wrote: »
    God, how patronising. Looking at the Beaufort Scale, and having seen the waves today in the sea then I would rate it as being a 9. That's only one off an official storm. I had to move two large branches from my driveway before I could drive out.

It was still only a gale, and the branches that fell were probably old and rotting and you get lot's of them, but it was still just gale-force winds, no storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

the amount of bins blown over

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    OMFG R U OK?
    (soz)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Dart services badly affected since this morning and currently one line is closed due to a tree down on the tracks.

Also, the worst of the storm has past! Im willing to bed a large amount of ye moaners were a sleep up until midday (including myself, Ill admit). I heard some terrible rain at about 9am but Im a heavy enough sleeper.

Really?

• Advertisement

demakinz wrote: »
    Really?

;)

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    OMFG R U OK?
    (soz)

I'm going to be okay, I think. Thanks though for asking. It means so much that someone cares.

It was still only a gale, and the branches that fell were probably old and rotting and you get lot's of them, but it was still just gale-force winds, no storm.

Well, in my part of the coast, overlooking the sea, it felt like a very strong gale, possibly reached storm force at certain stages. You obviously don't live near the sea, and are not as exposed to the weather as my area is. Some roads near here are impassable right now due to the volume of rainfall and the fact that rivers have overflowed. Glanmire is apparently under two feet of water - I heard it on the radio but don't know how true that is.

It was a very nasty one today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Well, in my part of the coast, overlooking the sea, it felt like a very strong gale, possibly reached storm force at certain stages. You obviously don't live near the sea, and are not as exposed to the weather as my area is. Some roads near here are impassable right now due to the volume of rainfall and the fact that rivers have overflowed. Glanmire is apparently under two feet of water - I heard it on the radio but don't know how true that is.

It was a very nasty one today.

I'll take your word for it, if you say it was that bad then you can't be wrong as you live in the south coast. It just seems so calm everywhere else. I live right on the east-coast and it's been sunny and a brisk wind that's it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Storm !!! Storm !!! what Storm ?
    I'd have got a euro off a pint today with the Budweiser App.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

worst storm ever :mad: Get your shit together storm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Actually they have nothing to answer for, aside from ignorant general public who listen to the media (which isnt met eireann) that took things out of context and dont understand weather. You should have known better anyway. This happens every single year and every single year the same whingers come along saying they were mislead.

There are extreme gusts and rain showers all over the country today, the worst have probably past but its still far worse than what we usually get.

Rivers have burst their banks, road visibility was reduced to near 0 with rain this morning at about 9am, winds are gusting at severe speeds for ships and aircraft, sporting events have been called off.
    Storm in Ireland =/= Roofs ripping off houses and hurricanes. You have the media to blame for that one, only wanting to make an extra euro for the fools who will listen to them.

And chances are if you live in Dublin, you havent even seen a quarter of what the storm has done. Along the souther coast is worse.

Worst.Storm.Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

We had two ten minute heavy rainfalls earlier and a brisk wind for an hour in swords and the sun has being out in intervals since. I'd say it was windy down the very south shores but realistically this wasn't a storm, it was a gale.

My ex wife use to let off more wind than i seen today.

Here in Kildare, it was very windy but pleasant enough this morning so I cycled in to work. It rained for most of the day but was okay when I left work. The wind is still fairly wild at the moment but not exactly a hurricane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Its a bit windy outside my house RIGHT NOW

Hope it kicks off good n proper soon

I haz beers and telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

stormy out there now wicklow:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Pantsface wrote: »
    Its a bit windy outside my house RIGHT NOW

Hope it kicks off good n proper soon

I haz beers and telly.

..and what happens when the telly goes? See you didnt think about that :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I always thought it was 'battle down the hatches'
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Standard Irish weather today. Wind and rain.

Move along. No storm here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Chucken wrote: »
    ..and what happens when the telly goes? See you didnt think about that :eek:

beers n tears

WINNING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its very windy now in arklow, so much that i saw a dog have the same shite twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I get to walk home, 15 minutes, with a bad back, and a cold..in the wet and windy weather. After I buy him dinner AND pay for the cinema....Thanks a fkn million you dick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

syndeyfife wrote: »
    I get to walk home, 15 minutes, with a bad back, and a cold..in the wet and windy weather. After I buy him dinner AND pay for the cinema....Thanks a fkn million you dick

Sounds like a fun date......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Did ya get the shift at least?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

jd007 wrote: »

Did ya get the shift at least?

Nope, not even. We are nothing more than friends, but ffs he knows I have a really bad back.....its raining and windy out....and he still ****s off after I pay for dinner last night and the cinema tonight!! Lovely fkn walk home I have ahead of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Nothing more cosy then rain beating on window when you are all warm in bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Nope, not even. We are nothing more than friends, but ffs he knows I have a really bad back.....its raining and windy out....and he still ****s off after I pay for dinner last night and the cinema tonight!! Lovely fkn walk home I have ahead of me!

Look on the bright side, your back can't be that bad if you're going to the cinema and out for dinners and stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I always find this sort of stormy weather induces a mild headachey feeling and an inclination towards irritability, think there's definitely a link between barometric pressure and people's state of mind.

Here's the storm surge from Co Waterford.

Little harbour before
    http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/603472_451252788248787_1243284128_n.jpg

After
    http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/603496_451253048248761_2127380162_n.jpg

Submerged!

And another pic from down South: http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/559188_517526541595766_1702526293_n.jpg

Also coast guard helicopter sent out west of Shannon to search for distressed yacht.

For all you whingers out there. I think its more than just a rainy day :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

I was expecting it to be worse earlier in the day, very strong winds now and since after 7 and some heavy rain.
    These strong gusts are the worst as they are sometimes unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Storm's a comming
    This is why we build houses out of brick
    No worries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

If its anything like last years supposed "hurricane warning", it will only be another wet and windy day for Ireland :rolleyes:

Haha! It was so severe I had to stick a pillow at the end of my curtain to stop it from billowing softly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

Why do people still listen to weather forecasts, its ridiculous how consistently wrong they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Here's the storm surge from Co Waterford.

Little harbour before
    http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/603472_451252788248787_1243284128_n.jpg

After
    http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/603496_451253048248761_2127380162_n.jpg

Submerged!

And another pic from down South: http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/559188_517526541595766_1702526293_n.jpg

Also coast guard helicopter sent out west of Shannon to search for distressed yacht.

For all you whingers out there. I think its more than just a rainy day :eek:
    ^^^^^^^^^
    delad wrote: »
    Why do people still listen to weather forecasts, its ridiculous how consistently wrong they are.

Don't rain on their parade, just be thankful it missed you.:p

It was very windy here in Dublin but nothing like I was expecting it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I am still very busy cleaning up after the big hurricane, there are some leaves and papers in my back that wasn't there yesterday.

Its terrible. :(

Met Eireann is really starting to lose all credibility with me, this is not the first time they got it all wrong.

Its a beautiful day today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

dd972 wrote: »
    I always find this sort of stormy weather induces a mild headachey feeling and an inclination towards irritability, think there's definitely a link between barometric pressure and people's state of mind.

if there was thunder and lightning that would explain the headache

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Look on the bright side, your back can't be that bad if you're going to the cinema and out for dinners and stuff :)

so if he was walking home with you, would the pain in your back have gone away? was it the lack of him beside you that caused the pain?

or are you just pee'd off cause you didn't get to seduce him. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

if there was thunder and lightning that would explain the headache

Especially if you're struck by it, eh, eh? God DAMN I'm funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Boooo! I've seen better storms in my bath tub!!!

Why can't we get a good American or Asian style storm here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'll take a hurricane/storm of yesterday's 'magnitude' every second day of the year if it means we get the nice weather that we have today after it!

Advertisement