Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barnardo's and the week off!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

In an ideal world though that money is pumped back into the running of their services, it's not quite like making a profit.

The organisation might not make an actual profit but when you have a lad on over 100k a year (and most likely several other overpaid lads) they're not exactly slumming it in order to help the good cause.
    alastair wrote: »
    Yeah - real swindlers. :rolleyes:

Glad you agree for once
    How exactly is social work a bottom feeding profession?

Cushy public service job who threaten that children will suffer if they get their funding cut and creating problems to justify their job, no offence to the handfull of honest hard working dedicated social workers in the country.

Great article here http://dontwrong.me/children_first_scam.html even their former CEO isn't impressed
    “Barnardos is the best scam I’ve ever seen. We pretend to do valuable work, but actually all we do is sit around all day telling other people what they should be doing and draw big salaries. Ok, it’s sanctimonious claptrap that we put out, and I hate it, but boy does it pay the bills. And, I get a cracking pension as well! All being well, there’ll be a peerage in it too. Believe me, there’s nothing like running charities for making big dosh, and nobody ever complains – it’s not like being a banker.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

eth0 wrote: »
    They are more of a political twatgroup campaining for more restrictive laws on the general public for the sake of the children than anything resembling a charity

Actually thats wrong. They are doing everything they can to protect children and they made a massive difference in the lives of many kids in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Poor Fergus, he is so dedicated to his job he needs €2,000+per week to do it!
    And thats just his salary, now count all the other staff, its not a charity its an ego vehicle for Fergus"I wanna be the President because I love kids" Finlay (for €2,000+ a week who wouldn't love the disadvantaged little mites).

And before Fergus was the front man for Barnardos? Still an 'ego vehicle' then? The work they do with kids just a sideshow?

Which charity's head salary do you approve of btw - or are you equally opposed to all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

True enough. The problem with charities in Ireland though is that they have no one to answer to - what they spend their money on is up to them & there is no accountability beyond that.

I think that's why a lot of people are cynical or suspicious about them & how they operate.

Well, just talking through my own experience, NGOs have to put together annual spending reports, that specify where money was spent. Of the funding given by the government, anything that is not spent has to be given back.

The problem that I observed is that a lot of things go unchallenged and are just accepted when it comes to expenses. I've seen people claiming expenses for the most ridiculous things yet no-one cares, as long as you have a receipt then you won't be challenged.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Actually thats wrong. They are doing everything they can to protect children and they made a massive difference in the lives of many kids in this country.

Including supporting ridiculous internet censorship nonsense like Sean Sherlock. I'm sure theres a few ounces of good will in them but they could do with stopping the lobbying nonsense, getting rid of the chuggers, the overpaid fatcats and other sources of wastage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Including supporting ridiculous internet censorship nonsense like Sean Sherlock. I'm sure theres a few ounces of good will in them but they could do with stopping the lobbying nonsense, getting rid of the chuggers, the overpaid fatcats and other sources of wastage.

Well I disagreed with their sean sherlock support but some of the other lobbying they do is important.

Great article here http://dontwrong.me/children_first_scam.html even their former CEO isn't impressed

Heh. I think you'd need to filter the rubbish google is throwing up for you. Hilarious site! Deluded nonsense - but hilarious!

(unsurprisingly - the supposed 'quote' from the ex-Barnados guy is the product of a nutjob's website)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

And before Fergus was the front man for Barnardos? Still an 'ego vehicle' then? The work they do with kids just a sideshow?

Which charity's head salary do you approve of btw - or are you equally opposed to all?

I dont believe that any Charity should be paying a self promoting, egoistic, former lobbyist and special advisor €2,000+ to be its public figurehead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

What's so wrong with reading the link at the start?

As my father said I wont give to Charity when there is a big guy in a office drawing a huge wage. How much of every euro given gets to the end user Its a con a big con.

• Advertisement

Hootanany wrote: »
    As my father said I wont give to Charity when there is a big guy in a office drawing a huge wage. How much of every euro given gets to the end user Its a con a big con.

So - who do you give to?

I hate the last post on a page.:mad:

I hate the last post on a page.:mad:

I'm guessing that's a no-one then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Don't donate international or even national. Those charities put people in administration on big salaries

Donate local

No matter if you live in a small parish you will still know of something local run by volunteers or you can chat to the people in charge

It's better then contacting someone in a corporate HQ
    Like the Red Cross and their expensive and desirable office in Merrion Sq. I suppose a basic cheap office was not good enough for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Don't donate international or even national. Those charities put people in administration on big salaries

Donate local

No matter if you live in a small parish you will still know of something local run by volunteers or you can chat to the people in charge

It's better then contacting someone in a corporate HQ
    Like the Red Cross and their expensive and desirable office in Merrion Sq. I suppose a basic cheap office was not good enough for them

You're dead right op.

I'm guessing that's a no-one then?

Dont get it.:confused:

• Advertisement

They think of the children.
    Someone's got to.

when i think of children im called a pedo :D

mikemac1 wrote: »

Thy've probably been there since the year dot. The ICA have a lovely building across from the RDS, but it doesn't cost them a penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

The organisation might not make an actual profit but when you have a lad on over 100k a year (and most likely several other overpaid lads) they're not exactly slumming it in order to help the good cause.

Are you just trolling in this thread? I have no problem with the chief of an organization the size of Barnardos earning ~100k. I hate chuggers, however, and I haven't looked into Barnardos enough to decide if I'd donate to them. The fact that you linked that dontwrong.me site makes me think you might be taking the piss. If not then you blew any credibility you had out of the water.

Zab wrote: »
    Are you just trolling in this thread? I have no problem with the chief of an organization the size of Barnardos earning ~100k. I hate chuggers, however, and I haven't looked into Barnardos enough to decide if I'd donate to them. The fact that you linked that dontwrong.me site makes me think you might be taking the piss. If not then you blew any credibility you had out of the water.

That article is a load of bull**** alright, was looking for the censorship thing they were trying to get brought in there a while back. Have heard very little positive about them altogether

That article is a load of bull**** alright

And yet you were happy to post it up - blinded to it's obvious fiction?

• Advertisement

And yet you were happy to post it up - blinded to it's obvious fiction?

Should have had a better look at this one alright

The silence is deafing :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Just attention seeking.

Advertisement