Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why wasn't there a joint appreciation in Belfast

• 14-08-2012 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

Northern Ireland’s Olympians have secured their highest ever medals tally from any Games — but the joy has been soured for some by the failure to provide a joint public celebration of their achievements.However, the failure to provide a joint public celebration has been criticised after the massive outpouring of support for Northern Ireland’s 21 Olympic athletes, who competed for both Team GB and Team Ireland.Mr Ringland, a noted campaigner against sectarianism and a former Ulster Unionist politician, added: “We all felt tremendous pride from their performances — they were representing us and it would be great if the public could be given the chance to show their appreciation to these great ambassadors.”

Supporting separate achievements is ridiculous imo,If they can have a power sharing government why couldn't they have planed this,Is it the usual sectarianism lurking in the background ? Didn't know whether to post this in politics or AH.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/calls-for-joint-celebration-to-mark-success-of-northern-irelands-olympians-16197131.html#ixzz23Xr6QPHX

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Did they celebrate/welcome home all the Irish medalists in Dublin ? Because im pretty sure the rowers are from Colerain, and no doubt they will celebrate/welcome them home there. Just like how i thought it was done with the winners from the south (Katie in bray + John Joe in Mulingar ?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Magill wrote: »
    Did they welcome home all the Irish medalists in Dublin ? Because im pretty sure the rowers are from Colerain, and no doubt they were welcomed home there.

Ah but in fairness them rowers were representing Britain.

Realies, it is a sad fact that some in the north could never stand shoulder to shoulder.

Personally, i see the north as Ireland, others see it as pay of the UK.

Regardless of that though, petty differences should be put aside in the name of sport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

Magill wrote: »
    Did they celebrate/welcome home all the Irish medalists in Dublin ? Because im pretty sure the rowers are from Colerain, and no doubt they will celebrate/welcome them home there. Just like how i thought it was done with the winners from the south (Katie in bray + John Joe in Mulingar ?)
    As per the link in the OP " On Wednesday afternoon Coleraine Borough Council is inviting the public to The Diamond at the Town Hall to see Alan Campbell and the Chambers brothers Richard and Peter with their medals.......... Sports Minister Caral Ni Chuilin will host a private function next month to honour the two boxers and three rowers at Stormont. "

I can to a point understand Trevor Ringland, but since the rowers weren't coming back until Wednesday, you could hardly ask the Belfast lads and their supporters to hold off going home to celebrate until the rowers came !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I thought this was going to be about something else entirely. Ah well. Say no to drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Yeah, but are they Catholic winners or Proddie ones? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ghandee wrote: »
    Ah but in fairness them rowers were representing Britain.

Realies, it is a sad fact that some in the north could never stand shoulder to shoulder.

Personally, i see the north as Ireland, others see it as pay of the UK.

Regardless of that though, petty differences should be put aside in the name of sport.

I know to well Ghandee whats it like, Sure on BBc,s facebook page there are people wondering why two lads from belfast should be welcomed back after representing a foreign country :-( doesn't give you hope does it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

well they were on different teams

But are from the same island.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

MadsL wrote: »
    Yeah, but are they Catholic winners or Proddie ones? :pac:
    Who cares, Katie Taylor is a Protestant as was Wayne McCullough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm just surprised someone hasn't tried to "Irishise" the rowers and invite them down. ;)

• Advertisement

But are from the same island.

they're all Irish?
    why were some on team GB

I understand that but my OP was wondering as was the Belfast telegraph, Why did the power sharing government not plan ahead and celebrate the lot of them together as there all from NI.Would it not be a step in bringing the two communities some bit closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Try telling that to the boys up north :pac:

realies wrote: »
    I understand that but my OP was wondering as was the Belfast telegraph, Why did the power sharing government not plan ahead and celebrate the lot of them together as there all from NI.Would it not be a step in bringing the two communities some bit closer.

political cock up id say

they're all Irish?

No, some clearly identify themselves as British.
    That's not what i said though.

If I had know that I would never ever supported them :mad:

:p;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Personally, i see the north as Ireland, others see it as part of the UK.

Well just to say that it doesn't matter what State you think Northern Ireland is part of, it is factually part of the UK and that's that. Personally I think they should have had a cross community welcome home parade in Belfast City centre, with all flags welcome, Union Flags, Tricolours, and county flags too, a massive crowd all waving their own flags together welcoming home their olympic athletes, in the spirit of the olympics.

Why not?

LordSutch wrote: »
    Well just to say that it doesn't matter what State you think Northern Ireland is part of, it is factually part of the UK and that's that. Personally I think they should have had a cross community welcome home parade in Belfast City centre, with all flags welcome, Union Flags, Tricolours, and county flags too, a massive crowd all waving their own flags together welcoming home their olympic athletes, in the spirit of the olympics.

Why not?

Totally agree with you Lord sutch :eek:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

LordSutch wrote: »

Why not?

A really great idea but it sounds like the kind of event that would bring out the rioters...and bring the great Oylmpics to a terrible conclusion. It's sad but not enough people have moved on to make it happen.

I thought Matt Copper made a good point when he wondered why the Irish media didn't acknowledge medals by Northerners on Team GB - a simple so and so from County Down won a medal would have been enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

They did in 2008, although it was later in the year:

http://www.northernireland.gov.uk/news/news-dcal/news-dcal-october-2008/news-dcal-061008-campbell-honours-beijing.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

As per the link in the OP " On Wednesday afternoon Coleraine Borough Council is inviting the public to The Diamond at the Town Hall to see Alan Campbell and the Chambers brothers Richard and Peter with their medals.......... Sports Minister Caral Ni Chuilin will host a private function next month to honour the two boxers and three rowers at Stormont. "

I can to a point understand Trevor Ringland, but since the rowers weren't coming back until Wednesday, you could hardly ask the Belfast lads and their supporters to hold off going home to celebrate until the rowers came !!!!!

The Coleraine thing is because they are from Coleraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

RubyRoss wrote: »
    A really great idea but it sounds like the kind of event that would bring out the rioters...and bring the great Oylmpics to a terrible conclusion. It's sad but not enough people have moved on to make it happen.

I thought Matt Copper made a good point when he wondered why the Irish media didn't acknowledge medals by Northerners on Team GB - a simple so and so from County Down won a medal would have been enough.

So make rioting an Olympic sport and give medals to the best rioter!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

I appreciate joints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

a stupid thread. celebrating together defeats the whole purpose of competing on different teams to begin with. some down south still fail to grasp the concept of the irish people in the north wanting a 32 county country, as in they dont recognise or want to accept "northern ireland". so why would they be turning up for events to celebrate the achievments of only "northern ireland" in the olympics?

a stupid thread. celebrating together defeats the whole purpose of competing on different teams to begin with. some down south still fail to grasp the concept of the irish people in the north wanting a 32 county country, as in they don't recognise or want to accept "northern ireland". so why would they be turning up for events to celebrate the achievements of only "northern ireland" in the olympics?

Read lord sutch post,

And as I certainly would like a 32 county country I do recognize that there is a sizable minority in the Island of Ireland that don't,There is no one going nowhere and we will all have to keep working on more compromises,Imo sport is an ideal conductor in helping that along and it did seem an ideal opportunity to build a few bridges with an inclusive bus ride which would have been good and another small step in bringing the communities together. And as in the usual complex world that is NI the two Olympic medallists from Belfast, will in all likelihood box for Northern Ireland at the next Commonwealth Games ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Read lord sutch post,

And as I certainly would like a 32 county country I do recognize that there is a sizable minority in the Island of Ireland that don't,There is no one going nowhere and we will all have to keep working on more compromises,Imo sport is an ideal conductor in helping that along and it did seem an ideal opportunity to build a few bridges with an inclusive bus ride which would have been good and another small step in bringing the communities together. And as in the usual complex world that is NI the two Olympic medallists from Belfast, will in all likelihood box for Northern Ireland at the next Commonwealth Games ?

my point wasnt really directed at the political situation in the north, just how stupid some people in the south are. alot of people just cant grasp or understand why someone representing the ireland from the north wouldnt want to go to a medal ceremony representing only northern ireland.

Advertisement