Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options

Options
  • 14-08-2012 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

We're moving to Greystones this weekend, to the Oaklands estate off Church Lane. Sadly I believe UPC cable is not available here.

Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with the ADSL options or any WiMax variants?

The house currently has eircom ADSL but they've said the limit of the line is 10Mb. I'll be working from home, online continuously, so need as much as I can get.

Any other IT home workers out there - what are ye using?

thanks
    darragh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Use Imagine business adsl 12mb, you're closer the exchange than me so would get 14-16mb. Eircom are woeful, download limits and god awful support.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jack_edson

I second that, Eircom are rubbish. Support is a joke. Pity UPC not available as they are, by far, the best I have used (not mad about their TV service though).

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jethropool

Using Vodafone for home working. Very few problems, VPN connection bombs out occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 darraghsmyth

Thanks for the suggestions. I phoned a few companies like Imagine and Magnet, and they checked the line for me. Said it could only support up to 10Mb, what I was getting from eircom. They didn't have ADSL2+ in the Greystones exchange to offer me. Somebody offered SDSL but at 300 euro pcm I politely declined:)

I was tempted to try some of the wifi options from imagine but deemed it too dependent on getting a good signal. Interestingly, I think mobile broadband will be the way forward in the future because they offer a symmetric line by default. However again I was too wary of signal quality.

So in the end I went with a business package from Eircom. Seems reasonable so far, so we will see. I'm hoping the "business" element will give better customer support should I need it at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I moved from Eircom to Magnet - as magnet use the Eircom line - but guarantee no contention...

Hope the business line works out for you - and heres hoping the whole area gets an upgrade soon. I am stuck in Delgany on a 2Meg line...

• Advertisement

Oh Dear, Eircom Business :( Hope you don't need to send large files at any stage or stream anything or remain connected in general.

FYI Imagine Business Broadband is ADSL 2+ as I am connected on it. And thats what Imagine was offering you as ADSL only offers up 7.6mb, anything higher is ADSL 2+.

I was offered up to 10mb but in the end I got 12mb when the line was installed.

Hope it works out ok for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Oh Dear, Eircom Business :( Hope you don't need to send large files at any stage or stream anything or remain connected in general.

FYI Imagine Business Broadband is ADSL 2+ as I am connected on it. And thats what Imagine was offering you as ADSL only offers up 7.6mb, anything higher is ADSL 2+.

I was offered up to 10mb but in the end I got 12mb when the line was installed.

Hope it works out ok for you.

I second that.
    I'm getting a consistent 12 MBs' with imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Blandpebbles and Dr. Silly how much do you pay/mo? Is it the €55 or will they give you the extra speed with the €28.93 option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

delta214 wrote: »
    Blandpebbles and Dr. Silly how much do you pay/mo? Is it the €55 or will they give you the extra speed with the €28.93 option?

I'm paying 45 per month.

Same here. We had some line work done while we put in a new front wall, up to 14mb now. Done for free too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement