Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphones, costs and questions

Options
  • 14-08-2012 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Bit of a noobie to the smartphone world so looking for a bit guidance on a couple of things;

1. How do you justify the cost of spending in excess of €300 on a smartphone?

I would love an N9 but at €400 new, I can't justify spending that amount of money on it.

2. In the case of the N9 would 16GB of storage be enough for a user who uses the phone to text, call, surf, take a few photos and have a about 50 mp3 files on the phone itself?

3. Would 250mb of data enough for light browsing such as facebook, boards, and gmail and maybe the odd youtube video?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

1) Depends on what you need/want it for.
    The iPhone for example is expensive but for me it's dead handy as a fairly decent camera, email, music, Skype, I can use it to VNC via the work VPN if a system goes down and remotely reboot it. So the cost is well worth it for me.

2) Should be plenty of space.

3) Odd youtube video as in 4 or 5 short clips per month then you'd probably be OK. Anything more and you'd be pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭petiha

I don't think the N9 would be a good choice, as the software (I think it has Meego on it, not 100% sure) has no future. If you are going for the looks, pick the Nokia Lumia 800. It is way handier and easier to use. For everyday use, it is the best phone along with the iPhones... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Yep if your looking as a starter for a smart phone the Nokias are brilliant. Windows is fool proof as long add you're happy with a qwerty keyboard

The lumia 610 is only 150 euros and will give you adequate space and a decent camera

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

petiha wrote: »
    I don't think the N9 would be a good choice, as the software (I think it has Meego on it, not 100% sure) has no future.

Jolla is an independent Finland-based company to design, develop and sell smartphones with the mobile Linux operating system, the MeeGo fork using the core of Mer which is based on the previous work of the MeeGo project. Jolla intends to announce it's first smartphone product during 2012.

Jolla continues the work started by Nokia that produced the Nokia N9 with the MeeGo version Harmattan. After Nokia abandoned their participation in the MeeGo project, a new and different company base was helpful opportunity. The Jolla team was formed by directors and core professionals from Nokia's MeeGo N9 organization, together with some of the best minds working on MeeGo in the communities.

Personally, I think the Nokia N9 is an amazing device in every aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭petiha

Personally, I think the Nokia N9 is an amazing device in every aspect.

I have no doubt that the N9 itself is amazing, as I have used it several times. :) All I said is that Nokia abandoned its Meego project, and the developer itself probably doesn't have the financial capability (yet?!) to make it a 'big deal', so as of now it probably doesn't have a great future. :/

So I think, right now, it would be better to go with a Lumia than a N9. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

petiha wrote: »
    I don't think the N9 would be a good choice, as the software (I think it has Meego on it, not 100% sure) has no future. If you are going for the looks, pick the Nokia Lumia 800. It is way handier and easier to use. For everyday use, it is the best phone along with the iPhones... :)

Firstly thanks to every one who commented I am still in two minds as to what to do.

Just want to question something which you mention above;

You say that Meego has no future (yes to a degree with Nokia but there is Jolla) yet it has gottten at least 2 updates (PR1.1 and 1.2 if I am not mistaken) compared to the Nokia 800 which seems at the moment to be only getting one update to WP7.8.

This would seem to indicate to me that the Nokia 800 has no future too as WP8 is not compatiable with the innerds of the 800 yet there may still be a small future for the N9 in terms of updates.

Anyways back to the topic at hand, I am going to have a look at some more reviews and then weigh up the pros and cons.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dave 78

please don't pick a Nokia. I work in mobile sales. Nokia are way behind in times and there software even on the lumia range is still shockingly bad.
    Samsung , HTC or Apple are way ahead

dave 78 wrote: »
    please don't pick a Nokia. I work in mobile sales. Nokia are way behind in times and there software even on the lumia range is still shockingly bad.
    Nonsense, the 610 is perfect for someone who wants a simple, stable smartphone. The 800 and 900 are very respectably spec'ed in comparison to their competitors.
    At least with the lumias you will be guaranteed an OS that it can properly support. If you don't believe me, try using a 3g iphone with IOS 4 on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dave 78

Nonsense, the 610 is perfect for someone who wants a simple, stable smartphone. The 800 and 900 are very respectably spec'ed in comparison to their competitors.
    At least with the lumias you will be guaranteed an OS that it can properly support. If you don't believe me, try using a 3g iphone with IOS 4 on it.

That's fine if you have time to upgrade the software via Nokia Zune very few weeks when the phone slows down and battery keeps dying too fast. ya windows operating systems are good. to this I agree but Nokia haven't copped on since the failure of there symbian software Hence they are in so much trouble financially too. But of course everybody is entitled to there opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

That's fine if you have time to upgrade the software via Nokia Zune very few weeks when the phone slows down and battery keeps dying too fast. ya windows operating systems are good. to this I agree but Nokia haven't copped on since the failure of there symbian software Hence they are in so much trouble financially too. But of course everybody is entitled to there opinion .

You seem to be great at your job :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: My manger + my mum has the 800 and both are pretty happy. Battery life is fine and there are no slow downs. Might want to send the phone off to check for a component fault. Modern smartphone only lasts you around a day. I gotta charge my SGS3 twice a day sometimes.

When I got my SGS3 there were 3 OTA upgrades that came in + a firmware upgrade over Kies if you think updating is a hassle on the Lumia. Ill agree its not perfect but its still a very good phone. Id be expecting the price of them to go down in the next month or so making it an even better purchase.

Lumia 800 doesn't have the upgrade path to 7.8, most of that is due to the fact that hardware dependent features cant be brought forward. There are still apps going to be coming to it and it will be supported in the future + the features that aren't being brought out with 7.8 Nokia is building apps to replace those. So if your being really picky regarding updates. I think Nokia has you covered.

• Advertisement

Nokia's failure is due to a number of factors - mainly that it got murdered by the iphone. Since symbian, they have refined the windows OS better than anyone has before, got rights to the highly acclaimed Carl Zeiss lenses on their cameras and have designed very nice phones. Wait till Windows 8 hits PC's and you'll see how the true potential of the nokias that will have OS8 on it.

My android samsung normally has some sort of update for pre-installed software every week and while the iphone doesn't, you can just go ahead and enjoy the quicktime and itunes pop you get every month on your computer.

You seem to be great at your job :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    My thoughts exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

This mobile forum seems to be packed to the brim full of Windows Phone trolls, they are getting worse than flipping Apple fanboys :rolleyes::rolleyes: Seems to be they are trying to convince themselves about the WP platform rather than anyone else.

I would get yourself something like a Galaxy Ace or one of the cheaper Samsung phones, they are a decent smartphone. Nokia are stuck in the dark ages.

Vahevala wrote: »
    This mobile forum seems to be packed to the brim full of Windows Phone trolls, they are getting worse than flipping Apple fanboys :rolleyes::rolleyes: Seems to be they are trying to convince themselves about the WP platform rather than anyone else.

I would get yourself something like a Galaxy Ace or one of the cheaper Samsung phones, they are a decent smartphone. Nokia are stuck in the dark ages.
    Yes, you should get a phone that is neither stocked nor sold anymore.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Yes, you should get a phone that is neither stocked nor sold anymore.:rolleyes:

Sorry Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 then

Advertisement