Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat roof!

Options
  • 14-08-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hello folks! We're finally at sale agreed on a house we love. Just got our survey back today and our engineer made a few recommendations.
    The roof on the attached garage is flat, as is the roof on the master bedroom ensuite and it needs recovering. We knew this but just wondering if anyone can recommend a covering. Engineer said regular felt would do the job but would only last approx 10 years. Converting it to a pitched roof isn't in our budget but he mention Nordman roof sheeting as an alternative. Just wondering if anyone has experience with flat roofs or anyone has re done them recently and what did they use.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

youd get at least 10 years out of a properly done flat roof... a proper pitched roof would cost a multiple of the flat roof. Are the current flat roofs posing any problems at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dufferlover

Thanks a million for your reply :)

Here's what our engineers report says:

"It is envisaged this roof covering is past its best and will need to be replaced in the near future. It is advised that a pitched roof is placed.

The felt covering is cracking badly and some of the joints are opening and becoming loose. Water is also noted to be ponding on this roof and areas are a little sagged and soft.

It is not insulated. The roof is leaking and this is noted in the boiler shed and garage. There is evidence to suggest a leak in the en-suite may have been repaired.

It is noted to be spongy & soft to walk on. It is likely that this roof covering will need to be replaced in the near future. The flat roof makeup cannot be seen as there are ceilings etc inside and there is no way of viewing them. There is evidence of problems with leaks (noted on ceilings) and it is advised that consideration be given to placing a pitched roof covering on the flat areas. The new roo
    f areas should be insulated.
    "

We will be replacing it obviously. Just not to a pitched one any time soon due to money. The engineer is recommending the Nordman sheeting as an alternative as we'd get about double the time out of it for about 1,000 more.

Flat roofs are a bloody disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the word flat roof is a bit of a contradiction, the roof should have enough of a pitch in it, so that the rain water runs off quickly enough and does not sit on the roof... I dont have any experience of nordman roof felting. make sure you get a few quotes for the work anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dufferlover

Thanks again. For sure we'll be shopping around. The engineer tells us that the Nordman has a slight pitch on it but doesn't require planning permission and it doesn't leak. All around it's a better option than re-felting but doesn't cost as much as putting an actual pitch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

You might be better posting this in construction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Just as a side note you will need to disclose the area of flat roof to your insurance company and you will be paying a premium for this. The higher the total % of flat roof against pitched roof the more of a risk and premium you will have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Hello folks! We're finally at sale agreed on a house we love. Just got our survey back today and our engineer made a few recommendations.
    The roof on the attached garage is flat, as is the roof on the master bedroom ensuite and it needs recovering. We knew this but just wondering if anyone can recommend a covering. Engineer said regular felt would do the job but would only last approx 10 years. Converting it to a pitched roof isn't in our budget but he mention Nordman roof sheeting as an alternative. Just wondering if anyone has experience with flat roofs or anyone has re done them recently and what did they use.
    Thanks in advance.

Hows things. I worked with both of them ( Nordman & flat roofs ( various types )) and still do.

The Nordman are a metal ' tile effect ' sheet which are to give the effect of a tiled roof when done, normally used on a pitched roof they would not be used to cover a ' flat ' roof surface. Personally I don't like the Nordman sheet on houses, its too cheap/unsuitable looking.

I have put in 1000's of m2 felt roofs both commercially and domestically. The thing about this is if they are installed correctly you could easily get 15-20 years without problems. Its the inexperienced installer who causes alot of the problems.

I also have done 1000's m2 of mastic asphalt roofs. This is a hot pour method and can last even longer than the felt. I have stripped roofs 50 years old + and the timbers underneath have been like they were bought in the suppliers yesterday.

There are also certain type liquid roofing you can get , again I have done alot of it, it depends on the type if finish/look you prefer really.

The handy thing about redoing your flat roof is you can also insulate it before recovering having huge improvements to your home.

I am in the Cork region if you need any further help.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

you probably can use the nordman profile in this case as the main house is most likely heigher than the flat roof extention.
    my parents house is done 18 years with nordman and never a problem.
    i think it looks lovely to the eye but thats a matter of opinion.nordman has been used all over europe for the last 30-40 odd years.
    its much quicker to put up than slates/tiles and doesnt need anywhere near as much timber which is why its around the same price.

look into it op,nordman have a good website and weigh it up in your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭euddue

Some roofing materials come with a 20 year guarantee from a supplier,just make sure you buy the right stuff,cheap isn't always best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

gambithh wrote: »
    you probably can use the nordman profile in this case as the main house is most likely heigher than the flat roof extention.
    my parents house is done 18 years with nordman and never a problem.
    i think it looks lovely to the eye but thats a matter of opinion.nordman has been used all over europe for the last 30-40 odd years.
    its much quicker to put up than slates/tiles and doesnt need anywhere near as much timber which is why its around the same price.

look into it op,nordman have a good website and weigh it up in your mind.

Have a look around at some jobs done in Nordman and see how certain colours can fade quite badly and quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Tednicholas

Hi all, i have a friend who is a contractor and he recently told me about a new product from some company in dublin, supposedly its a roll on or brush on stuff that lasts for 50 years or your money back guranteed... it works by reflecting heat and while acting as as waterproof / wheather proof barrier!! or somethin like that anyway..! hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭frebel

Wondering if anyone else have experience of flat roof conversion from felt to fibreglass?

Have a 40 sq metres flat roof over 2006 extension of 2 downstairs rooms and would love to have to be able to walk out on it come summer. The felt is fine but just can't be sure how much weight it can support and there's no railing either.

Have a quote of 65 per sq metre for the fibreglass but they would expect someone else to strip it and prep it

In cork city

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The good builders suppliers stores should be able to supply you with the brush on liquid/gel that will take care of any problems in the short term as regards leaks. The surveyor is probably covering all angles but unless there is signs of dampness there is no great urgency. I hate the flat roofes. I can't understand why they haven't a slight lean that will take all rainwater away. Cleaning of gutters and drains on a regular basis and before each Winter are very important. It keeps the water moving towards the main drains. If water is static on a flat roof it invariably will find some weakness in the roof itself

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

You could retain the flat roof and replace it with fibre glass. Costly long run but will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭frebel

I'm ok with flat roof though...drainage has been fine despite weather... It's getting it right to walk on is what I'm aiming for

Advertisement