Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I've never realised that people are not the same age as me on here until now. When I picture you all you are all my age. (and naked).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I barely remember it.........due to getting obliterated at a rave immediately afterwards.

Same as that, but I hit me head jumping in the fountain outside Dinn Rí in Carlow to celebrate. That, and a helping of Heineken wouldn't have helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Anybody have any idea if flah or DOC09UNAM are back posting here again?

Flah isn't anyway, he still lurks the odd time and might return sometime.

DOC09UNAM came back as Adolf Hipster, who closed his account after being banned a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Flah closed his account :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Blatter wrote: »
    Flah isn't anyway, he still lurks the odd time and might return sometime.

DOC09UNAM came back as Adolf Hipster, who closed his account after being banned a few weeks ago.

Ah, I never knew that bout DOC. Both were good posters. Shame really. Tell flah to get back in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

im 17 in October :/

You sir, are younger than me. I didn't know of any regular poster here younger than myself until now.

*starts slagging off posters younger than himself for being immature*

MOD NOTE: This is all in jest, it is not an excuse to do it really.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Flah closed his account :(

I know, he was saying he might open up a new one though.
    Ah, I never knew that bout DOC. Both were good posters. Shame really. Tell flah to get back in here.

Yeah shame alright. Flah was definitely one of the best, hopefully he does decide to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

99? Stop living in the past ye old coots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Theres people here who dont remember 99 :eek:

I remember ITV going to an ad break during the trophy presentation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

First!!

Woot haha I got first post!!!!!!!!

99? Stop living in the past ye old coots

"Can Manchester United score? They always score."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Flah went off the tracks there for a while last year, but overall he was still a great contributor to the soccer forum, made some excellent posts in his time. Hopefully we will see himself and DOC back sometime. Anyway, boards goes on...

On track; did anyone see Anderson's goal against Aberdeen today? T'was a thing of beauty, a great run from centre-mid and a one-two with Dwight Yorke, followed by a little shuffle past the last defender then a chip over the diving goalkeeper. I really hope the lad can stay fit this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

"Can Manchester United score? They always score."

Name on the trophy

Full steam ahead Barcelona

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Keno 92 wrote: »
    First!!

Woot haha I got first post!!!!!!!!

Not quite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

"And Solskjaer has won it!"

Five words that will, to the day I die, give me goosebumps whenever I hear them, with the memories they bring back of that glorious night.

• Advertisement

Name on the trophy

Full steam ahead Barcelona

I always think of the moment when the camera pans over to the great Lothar Matthaus with his head in his hands and Sami Kuffour jumping up and down in disgust.

Great memories and there will never be another final quite like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Younger posters have to make do with this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Anybody have any idea if flah or DOC09UNAM are back posting here again?
    Pity neither of them post here anymore,they were two of the better ones.I dont be on here much anymore but there does seem to be a lot of new posters I dont recognise half the posters.
    BTW great to see fletch back.

Whichever mod it was good work! Very fast response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Whichever mod it was good work! Very fast response

Their on the ball ,hope they can keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

Apologies if these were already posted, I only saw the mirror one on the 2nd page.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/robin-van-persie-manchester-united-1261379
    Robin van Persie is closing in on a sensational £20million-plus move after Arsenal officially began negotiations with Manchester United.

The Mirror can reveal the two clubs spent Tuesday night talking about a deal which could now be pushed through before the Premier League kick-off this weekend.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9476077/Arsenal-and-Manchester-United-making-progress-over-Robin-van-Persie-transfer.html
    The prospective transfer of Robin van Persie from Arsenal to Manchester United took a significant step forward on Tuesday when negotiations resumed between the Premier League rivals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2188324/Robin-van-Persie-transfer-Manchester-United-prepared-match-Arsenal-valuation.html
    United took a significant step towards securing the deal by re-opening discussions with the North London club. Their improved offer, likely to be close to Arsenal’s minimum £20m asking price, is expected to be submitted in the next 48 hours.

I know they're all pretty much the same story, but still

1162345_o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Nice to see Fletch in the team again tonight but I wouldn't go over board about it, there would be a long long way to go before he was ready to contribute to the first team in any meaningful competition in my view, if ever at all.

It was after all a charity game basically where the likes of Yorke and co also played.

Be nice to see a midfielder brought in and that the club was just keeping it under wraps somehow, gambling that Fletch can make a full recovery is a bit mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

By the by, just saw on SSN that Arsenal are apparently holding out for £15million for Song, if they are willing to let him go I would try get him, if they want £15mil from their parent club then we could conceivably get him for under £20m will would not be bad business imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    99 was the night after my grads in 6th year. I really thought I wouldn't be able to drink that night! How wrong was I?

'08 was the night of my grads in 6th year. Jesus what a night it was.

I'm 23, I'd imagine I'm close enough to the average age in here.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/aberdeen-2-manchester-united-1/

Highlights of the Aberdeen game there. Holy **** Scholesy what were you doing for the first goal?? And before anybody has a go at De Gea for that howler for the 2nd... It was Lindegaard. Lovely goal by Anderson to make it 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    '08 was the night of my grads in 6th year. Jesus what a night it was.

I'm 23, I'd imagine I'm close enough to the average age in here.

Mine was the night after. The awards night was the night before. Doubt anyone went.

The eejits never once changed the date for it despite it clashing with the Champions League final every year for the previous 6. Back in 2005 was a joke. Half the hall was missing and the other half were glued to their phones getting updates about the match. I remember we got back just in time for the penalties.

All they had to do was move it back a day to the Tuesday and they'd have avoided it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Just stumbled across this video, 150 of Scholseys goals, great success!!!

edit: And from there, 82 of King Erics as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Would people be happy to see United sign James McCarthy would be cheap enough. He would be a similar price to the likes of Dembele and is young and has alot of potential. Already had alot of experience and seems to have his head screwed on. Can see him going onto be a great player think he would be a good signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Would people be happy to see United sign James McCarthy would be cheap enough. He would be a similar price to the likes of Dembele and is young and has alot of potential. Already had alot of experience and seems to have his head screwed on. Can see him going onto be a great player think he would be a good signing.

Good player but I'm not sure that he's actually any better than the players we have at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Highlights of the Aberdeen game there. Holy **** Scholesy what were you doing for the first goal?? And before anybody has a go at De Gea for that howler for the 2nd... It was Lindegaard. Lovely goal by Anderson to make it 2-1.

Is it not Sam Johnstone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

markc1184 wrote: »
    Is it not Sam Johnstone?

Thought I saw the keeper wearing 13, which is the number Lindegaard changed to, but actually that could have just been 1-18 numbers given to the players on the night... Sure Bebe was wearing 10 actually! :eek: You're right, sorry Anders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Have City signed anyone bar Rodwell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Nope Mancini isn't happy over it either .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

I always think of the moment when the camera pans over to the great Lothar Matthaus with his head in his hands and Sami Kuffour jumping up and down in disgust.

Great memories and there will never be another final quite like it.

There was another great clip I'll never forget on the sky news end of year sport review that was on that christmas. It was showing a little montage of the match playing tonight tonight by the smashing pumpkins and just after it showed the equalizer it flashed to a kid in the crowd shaking a flag as the bit of the song that goes "believe" gets said a few times louder each time til it kicked back in with the 2nd goal! Don't know why but it always stuck with me! I'll have a mooch around YouTube for it in a bit. Anyone else remember it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

New season new thread, gonna try be more active on it this season, just so many posts to read when you are gone for a few hours :D

From the last thread someone mentioned off the ball having a dig at Van Persie. I've listened to that show a few times now on the recommendations of friends and I can't get into it. The main host seems rather clueless and the normal fella he has on typically is also pretty brutal in terms of opinions and analysis, and is a bit of a melter. His itnerview with Roy Keane was about the only enjoyable thing for me he has done, and that is because Keane ripped him.

To summarise what they said (Credit to James Crab, or whoever the last poster on old thread was"
    Referring to the fact that he's been dropped from the Dutch national team in favour of Klas Jan Huntelaar.
    Part of why I find them monotonous and clueless. This was a part of their discussion and I was annoyed it was a replay, because no one text or emailed in to inform them that RVP started every game of the Euros ahead of Huntelaar. Also starting all the qualifying games. And most likely will not be played in their upcoming friendly to give Huntelaar a run out. That is not being dropped.

Verdict : Morons, RVP has not being dropped.
    Referring to how injury prone he is.
    Can be no complaints here, but they were making it out like he is not a good player because of this. Injuries happen, he still has a good few seasons left in him, his game is not based of pace.

Verdict: Yeah, I can see their point
    Referring to an interview they had with John Giles during which he criticised Van Persie's professionalism and accused him of only playing well when there was a contract or a move up for grabs.
    John Giles is a moron, and I have no time for him. I obviously wasnt alive when he played football, I believe he was good, and did good things, but as a pundit he is a mess. I cast him into the bucket of "useless old fogies" when he used to criticise Ronaldo for not tracking back at corners etc., when clearly he was instructed to stay up front to break.

This is the first year Van Persie has had an injury free time, and during that time has put in a pretty quality display of playing up front. Anytime he has had runs, he has done well. It is crast to indicate that he only "didnt get injured" this season to get a move.

Verdict: Absolute dope, and I'm definitly not tuning into that crap on Rte anymore, for CL or Saturday highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

The main guy is Ger Gilroy and the one who interviewed Keane is Ken Earley.
    The two guys are decent hosts but they like to lean on the controversial side of opinion when it comes to the big stories.
    Alot of what they were talking about was questioning the reason United would sign RVP and how he would fit into the team.
    To be fair to them, it was widely thought that RVP was going to lose his place going into the Euros as KJH started all of the warm up games.
    They also have no choice but to talk about his injury record as without that RVP would be worth an extra 10m and probably would have left Arsenal 3 or 4 years ago.
    Calling Giles a moron is unfair, I regularly listen to his segment on Newstalk and he is quite knowledgeable on certain sides of the game. It's really annoying when people roll out the Ronaldo comment. It was one sentence and I think he means it more as how he'd want him to play if he was the manager rather than him thinking Ronaldo should be doing this regardless of tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

that cantona goals video is just epic.

goose bumps. what a period that was for the club and what a player.

Felexicon wrote: »
    The two guys are decent hosts but they like to lean on the controversial side of opinion when it comes to the big stories.
    Alot of what they were talking about was questioning the reason United would sign RVP and how he would fit into the team.
    To be fair to them, it was widely thought that RVP was going to lose his place going into the Euros as KJH started all of the warm up games.
    They also have no choice but to talk about his injury record as without that RVP would be worth an extra 10m and probably would have left Arsenal 3 or 4 years ago.
    Calling Giles a moron is unfair, I regularly listen to his segment on Newstalk and he is quite knowledgeable on certain sides of the game. It's really annoying when people roll out the Ronaldo comment. It was one sentence and I think he means it more as how he'd want him to play if he was the manager rather than him thinking Ronaldo should be doing this regardless of tactics.

Isn't Eoin McDevitt the main presenter? Ger Gilroy hosted it a good few years ago.

Also John Giles' piece is nothing but rubbish IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

giles is literally the best football mind on tv, on any station.

has an insight into the game that few others have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'll bow to your more frequent listening, as I said I cant get into it.

But I consistently find Giles opinions, views and directives old fashioned and not designed for the modern game, while banging on about blatantly obvious stuff as if it is that simple, especially when he harps on about keeping the ball and passing.

He seems one of those guys that just can't move on with the game and is stuck in the past, which is to be fair , typical of most elderly pundits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Incorrect. The host of Off The Ball is Eoin McDevitt. Ger Gilroy presents the weekend sports show on Newstalk.

Gave me a good laugh. Thanks

I have to disagree, it's disgraceful how utterly unprepared Giles is for his punditry.

He relies on his basic knowledge of the game to form his opinion when really he shouldn't be marrying that knowledge with up to date research, something which he rarely ever does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

ill agree on the lack of info. if its not a prem team he generally hasnt seen them.

but that only highlights how good he is at quickly summing up teams/players.

he can see the pattern of a game unfold very quickly. his analysis is always top drawer, spots patterns and players that other pundits wouldnt even notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Giles and all the RTE folk for that matter, are clueless in my opinion. ill leave it at that.

if the game is on RTE and ITV/BBC/Sky etc etc, ill watch it on the other channel as RTE just is painful to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I think its giles job to tell the kids watching what to do just like its ronaldos job to stay free and find space when they dont have the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

What do ye think the plan is for Bebe this season,will we see him stay at Utd and play a few Carling Cup games and mostly reserves games or will he be shipped out on loan again? Maybe this time to a Championship side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Giles and all the RTE folk for that matter, are clueless in my opinion. ill leave it at that.

if the game is on RTE and ITV/BBC/Sky etc etc, ill watch it on the other channel as RTE just is painful to watch.

Yep used to enjoy watching football on RTE but its now just painful. They try too hard to go against the grain and be controversial.

Gary Neville really was a breath of fresh air last year and I'm glad to hear that his England role won't effect him continuing on with Sky. He is down for MNF for our first game next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Nice new thread.

That Cantona video was great. Fantastic footballer and one of my favourite ever players for United.

Looking forward to some news over the coming days of hopefully a new signing.
    Still over two weeks of the window to go. Wonder who we will see panic buying on the final day. Jim White is going to have a heart attack one of these days. The clown.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sure while we're in for RVP, we may as well go for Song too. I'm sure Arsenal would be happy with that :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Dude...no..gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement