Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

1194195196197198200»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

David Gill appointed vice chairman of the FA

Did Fergie get him the job?

He seems to have a lot of pull in The FA. More now I suppose.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nick ‏@ManUnitedYouth
    Haha, Lingard misses the target with a pile driver from 30 odd yards and misses the departing SAF by about a foot. Career almost over there

Hah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Macca07 wrote: »
    I don't get it with Hart, I know he doesn't make too many mistakes, but every other England keeper has been hung out to dry when they make a mistake, but it doesn't happen with Hart.

The joys of the English media...

The English media love the.........I've almost said too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Did Fergie get him the job?
    Yes.......yes he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Will Keane expects to be back playing in the New Year or soon after
    According to a reputable twitter account,says he spoke to him at the U21 game tonight.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

dahat wrote: »
    Will Keane expects to be back playing in the New Year or soon after
    According to a reputable twitter account,says he spoke to him at the U21 game tonight.......

sooner the better - really gutted for him. I reckon he'd have got himself a decent Championship loan and really progressed his game this season.

He is a very talented and intelligent forward - but at this stage of his career any length of time out can have a massive impact on progression/development. It isn't just a few months of development he will have missed out on, it could basically be the season when you consider he is likely to remain with the under21 side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Tomorrow's world: United's new clinic will predict injuries SIX MONTHS in advance

Sir Alex Ferguson is confident Manchester United will banish their injury misery with the opening of a new £25million medical centre.

United hope to open the state-of-the-art facility at their Carrington training base on November 5 - the eve of Ferguson's 26th anniversary in charge.

Last season, United were top of the Premier League crocks list (see below) with 39 significant problems - those lasting for at least two weeks - while champions Manchester City fared the best, with just seven injuries lasting that long.

For United, that amounted to a total of 1,681 days lost to injury, while City's remarkably low injury count cost Roberto Mancini's squad just 186 days in comparison.

United currently have five players sidelined with injury, including defensive trio Nemanja Vidic, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones, wingers Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia and keeper Anders Lindegaard. Smalling and Young are set to return this weekend, while Jones is not far away.

But United hope to address that with a new partnership with Toshiba, who will provide the equipment for a centre that has been billed as the most comprehensive medical facility in world football.

The first of its kind in the Premier League, it will enable United to fast-track players back to fitness and identify potential injuries up to six months before they occur, through ground-breaking technology.

Kitted out with CT and MRI scanners and other cutting-edge equipment as part of a five-year agreement with Japanese company Toshiba, the centre will mean United will no longer have to rely on nearby hospitals.

Work has been underway at United's training complex since April and is expected to be finished within a fortnight, although Ferguson's wry quip that "I think they built the pyramids quicker" suggests the original deadline may not be met.

"This is a great partnership because it is something new, something
    different," said Ferguson.

"We made a couple of signings in the summer but this is a big signing, perhaps the most important step forward this club has taken in a long, long time.

"Sometimes supporters won't see that, the public won't see that, but we'll see it and the players will really appreciate it.

"We've been building the medical centre for quite a time now, for about six months.

"But we're getting there and this partnership with Toshiba will add to it with their medical systems bringing a new dimension to sports science and medical treatment for our players.

"It will put us above most clubs in the world. We already have a fantastic medical staff and they will relish the challenge of working with Toshiba medical systems."

United see a competitive advantage in the field of rehabilitation and fitness as crucial to their chances of continued success, particularly with City building the Etihad Campus, complete with their own medical centre, due to open for the start of the 2014-15 season.

Ferguson recalled the rudimentary nature of the medical facilities at United when he arrived in Manchester to take charge of the club 26 years ago.

"If you go back 26 years, I had a staff of eight and one physio," said Ferguson. "Now I have a staff of 40 and five physios.

"We had one ultrasound machine, but we weren't the only ones. Most clubs then were exactly the same.

"So when I arrived at United we changed that pretty quickly. We brought in [physio] Rob Swire around about 1990 and since then it's been growing and growing.

"And it needed to grow because the game has got quicker and football pitches today also present a problem in terms of injuries.

"So there has to be more attention and more bodies to deal with all the players that we have.

"At the moment I probably have 28 players in the first-team squad, maybe 13 or 14 in the reserves and then about 24 Academy players.

"That's a lot of players so therefore the need for better medical attention and numbers [of physios] is really important.

"The real progress started about 10 or 12 years ago when the need for sports science came into football.

"Since then the progress in sports science has been so important.

"I always remember, when I was at Aberdeen, telling my chairman I should have two physios. He would always say 'Why?'

"He was old-school and he knew it would cost him some money."

Source.

_______

When i saw the headline, i assumed that Hargreaves was going to sign in six months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

http://ie.setanta.com/ie/manchester-united/

Its getting the usual "not if it was free" shyte comments but for anyone thats interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Tomorrow's world: United's new clinic will predict injuries SIX MONTHS in advance

People moan about midfielders, but that is the best signing we could possibly have made.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

How can it predict injuries?
    Seeing weaknesses in muscles or what?

What about an impact injury like a kick in the ribs? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Prick! wrote: »
    How can it predict injuries?
    Seeing weaknesses in muscles or what?

What about an impact injury like a kick in the ribs? ;)

Wooosh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Drumpot wrote: »
    Another mistake by Hart , but alls forgiven, very quickly . . If DDG does the same this weekend, there will be calls for him to be dropped!

I think De Gea gets an easy enough ride from the media and other fans, its his own fans that are the most critical of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2FsMVkzpGzSISYfBHTRAuBxi-Dcumkyexjx3SPPKTUa6HMgz4

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRg6lST8PrUOmCmWR-rqTxF6D1NdIsPGJtuvW4HFB9peNxgn60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think De Gea gets an easy enough ride from the media and other fans, its his own fans that are the most critical of him.

lol....your having a laugh. the lad is loved by United fans, except for a few clowns on message forums and on facebook/twitter.

90% of his abuse comes from bitter fans of rivals and the media, who want him to fail. praising him, is not in their agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

niallo27 wrote: »

This made me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OMG football is back tomorrow! Amen.

What kind of stripped down starting 11 do we expect?

Rafael Rio Evans Evra
    - Anderson Scholes
    Valencia Rooney Welbeck
    Hernandez

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

OMG football is back tomorrow! Amen.

What kind of stripped down starting 11 do we expect?

Rafael Rio Evans Evra
    - Anderson Scholes
    Valencia Rooney Welbeck
    Hernandez

RVP will start imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Valencias wtf is this look at 0:18 is priceless. He then smiles, on camera, finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭RT2010

Would imagine Carrick will be rested in light of England game. Good chance to see a four of Anderson, Cleverley, Kagawa and probably Scholes.

Can see Rooney playing, think he is better when playing all the time. Seems to take a few games to get back into his stride after any kind of lay off.

Hate to say it but to progress our midfield I think Scholes needs to be used very sparingly. Probably my favourite ever United player. Will be ok tmw against Stoke where we will have a lot of possession. However against top 5/6 teams he just hasn't got the legs when we don't have the ball.

Still great to have to close out a tight game in last 20 mins but I'm sure the man himself would hate that role every week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

anybody that played two games,probably wont play, with the exception of maybe Evans unless Smalling is fit. really is impossible to pick the team, but i would expect the following -

De Gea

Rafael Rio Evans/Smalling Buttner
    Valencia Scholes Ando Giggs :( though maybe young will be in there

Rooney RVP.

but Fergie could do something really mad, considering we have Braga and Chelsea coming up in the next 8 days. suppose the above team makes sense then,as it gives the likes of Cleverly, Carrick, Nani, Kagawa, Hernandez, Welbeck the chance to have a few days rest and play them against Braga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭RT2010

Yeah maybe Cleverley won't play. Scholes and Giggs both starting should never happen anymore IMO. Practically asks teams to go at us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Mainly about Young but some other team news in there .

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Oct/manchester-united-team-news-for-stoke-at-old-trafford.aspx?pageNo=2

Everyone came back from the internationals fit," declared Sir Alex. "Which is a bonus. It is always a time when you're a bit concerned about getting the players back but, fortunately, we've been lucky this time. Also Ashley Young is fit. Chris Smalling is not quite there but is making progress.

"Young gives us another option. As I’ve said many times over the last few weeks, the strength of our squad is the attacking options we have and we’re getting better with Darren Fletcher coming back which has been terrific for him and for us. There has been some progress with players like Nick Powell, who is progressing well, as is Tom Cleverley and Anderson is getting better all the time so all the fears about the midfield positions are evaporating quite well.

"I wouldn’t say Young has been forgotten," insisted the boss. "It’s always the same when a player gets injured, he’s not there so they can be out of people’s minds. Young has shown his qualities.

"Very few players can cross the ball as well as he can and his goalscoring ratio is very good for us. Didn’t he get 11 goals for us last season? For a wide player that’s very good. I don’t think you can underestimate that or forget it. I think any player coming to our club with ability and who also had a good record at Aston Villa will have the determination to do well.

"The opportunities are there for him, he has the opportunity to win things here and I don’t think that’s lost on him. I’m sure during the time he’s been out he’s been thinking about that. That’s what players do when they’ve been out, they start thinking about what should have been for them and what they can be for him. That will hopefully surface as the season goes on now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Stoke are defending very well indeed. I expect a full strength team with the exception of players that played twice or had long travels.
    De Gea
    Rafael Ferdinand Evans Buttner
    Valencia Scholes Anderson Young
    Rooney RVP

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english/2012/1019/342346-ferguson-hits-out-at-roberts-over-racism-protest/

This is a strange one seen as that Rio and Anton are rumoured to be refusing to wear them at the weekend that Fergie would go and have a pop at Jason Roberts for his stance on the matter.

In my opinion i think they are dead right to protest like this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english/2012/1019/342346-ferguson-hits-out-at-roberts-over-racism-protest/

This is a strange one seen as that Rio and Anton are rumoured to be refusing to wear them at the weekend that Fergie would go and have a pop at Jason Roberts for his stance on the matter.

In my opinion i think they are dead right to protest like this

As we are on the subject, the red issue guy's have clearly overstepped the mark again. They are cringe worthy at times

redissue-terry.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

FutureGuy wrote: »
    RVP will start imo.

Joshua King > RVP tbh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

anyone know anything much about davide petrucci been talked up for ages at the club i know he had injuries when he first came to the club but i think he has been injury free for the last year or so would have though if hes that good he would have at least have been on the bench in the league cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This John Terry/racism crap has been going on for over a year. A Year too many.

Sick of it now. Every Tom in street knows what he did, bar few clowns who tried to defend him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

We'll definitely see changes tomorrow imo. If Smalling is fit and playing him carries no risk, he'll probably play at right back because of Stoke's height advantage. Carrick will probably play too because of this and be rested in the CL on Wednesday. I'm going to assume Smalling won't be ready to start though.

de Gea
    Rafael----Ferdinand---Evans
    Buttner
    Valencia---Scholes----Carrick
    Nani
    Rooney

van Persie

Evra might play as he only played one game for France, although I'd be pretty confident Buttner will play in one of the next two games. I think we'll play two wingers against Stoke to stretch them, going too narrow against them plays into their hands imo. As said above, Scholes will almost certainly play as Stoke surrender most of the possession, so it's a perfect game for him. He was outstanding in this fixture last season. I'd expect Rooney and van Persie start together as the two forwards for the first time, will be interesting to see how it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Blatter wrote: »
    We'll definitely see changes tomorrow imo. If Smalling is fit and playing him carries no risk, he'll probably play at right back because of Stoke's height advantage. Carrick will probably play too because of this and be rested in the CL on Wednesday. I'm going to assume Smalling won't be ready to start though.

de Gea
    Rafael----Ferdinand---Evans
    Buttner
    Valencia---Scholes----Carrick
    Nani
    Rooney

van Persie

Evra might play as he only played one game for France, although I'd be pretty confident Buttner will play in one of the next two games. I think we'll play two wingers against Stoke to stretch them, going too narrow against them plays into their hands imo. As said above, Scholes will almost certainly play as Stoke surrender most of the possession, so it's a perfect game for him. He was outstanding in this fixture last season. I'd expect Rooney and van Persie start together as the two forwards for the first time, will be interesting to see how it works.

I would expect Young to get in ahead of Nani who has clearly blotted his book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

dahat wrote: »
    I would expect Young to get in ahead of Nani who has clearly blotted his book

People thought Nani had blotted his book before the Spurs game and he ended up in the starting line up and scored a goal.

I'm not sure Young will have the match fitness to start the game although I think Ferguson threw him in against Chelsea after a hefty lay off last season so who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

ZAhpU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

Keno 92 wrote: »
    ZAhpU.jpg

Cheers for that. Needed a change of the work desktop background:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

As we are on the subject, the red issue guy's have clearly overstepped the mark again. They are cringe worthy at times

redissue-terry.png

Ah now everyone's getting very uptight about this. I think that's hilarious and from the start I've said that I don't think what terry said was that bad. When nearly the only word he said that can be printed in a paper is "black" and everything else is starred out and that's the word he was charged for then I don't think it's totally right for it. It was heat of the moment and he shouldn't have said black, but maybe he also shouldn't have called him a f*cking c*nt. It was clearly heat of the moment and as someone who has been very critical of Terry in the past definitely not biased towards him here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Keno 92 wrote: »
    ZAhpU.jpg

Great photo!

...but does anyone know what the story is with the lettering on the building in the background? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Great photo!

...but does anyone know what the story is with the lettering on the building in the background? :)

It's called the alphabet, pretty basic stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

....so Rio is a better passer than Joe Allen? ;) :cool::pac:

254539_10151210577529127_721299364_n.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement