Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left over turf dust - any use in garden?

Options
  • 14-08-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭

I have just brought in a load of turf, and have maybe 3 or 4 wheelbarrow loads of the dust leftovers. This was also out in heavy rain in the last few days, so has got a good soaking.

I was wondering if it would be any use around the garden, rather than dumping it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Its basically moss peat. So yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm a real novice in the garde, could you advise on its use?

In the process of digging out a rockery at present, could I mix it in with the topsoil thats there to pad it out?

Yes it will improve the soil; makes it "lighter".

Do I need to make sure its really fine, break up any little lumps, or can I just mash it all up with a garden fork then mix it in?

Mash it in roughly, worms will do the rest.

• Advertisement

Can you have too much of this stuff in a rockery? I have more than I first thought, and was wondering should it only complement the top soil, or can it be 50/50 with top soil?

50;50 is fine, your soil will be tending towards acidic at that, but most rockery plants are heathers and alpines and prefer that anyway.

You're a fountain of knowledge, thanks

Edit: while I'm picking your brains, could you recommend a selection of plants for the rockery, should I ever get round to planting them! Preferably low maintenance ones, and best time of the year to plant them. My rockery is directly at the edge of my decking area, and I heard that a row of lavender may keep insects at bay (may not be true).

Well you are better off just putting in a random selection, because some will die and others will spread. I like scented ones like lavender and curry plants. A few heathers and mini conifers eg (mungo pine) will keep it looking green in winter. Plants bought in pots can be planted at any time, but if you're digging them up from somewhere else, late autumn or spring is best. Good luck and enjoy.

Advertisement