Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rings statement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Don't know about the commonwealth, but he has been spouting ****e for years since he was first elected. I'm delighted he got promoted as I was sick of listening to him (not by choice) on mid-west radio (more ****e) roaring & shouting over the airwaves about what he would do, and lambasting the FF crowd. Thankfully he's not to be heard now:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

OP you do understand the context of the initial statement he made do you...??

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

yop wrote: »
    OP you do understand the context of the initial statement he made do you...??

You'd want to be brain dead to miss it, usual crap papers use to fill column inches this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Black Suir wrote: »
    Am i right in saying a few years back, (maybe 2 or 3) he came out with a statement saying something like we should rejoin the commonwealth.

Was that not Gay Mitchell?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Was that not Gay Mitchell?

It was indeed. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

He meant to say sports funding is like health funding as it keeps people healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

1. Calling any politician a plonker is a little OTT - Ring is a decent and amiable bloke

2. afaik he has not made any statement on re-joining the Commonwealth

3. He is a shrewder operator than many think. Left school early, afaik before L Cert. Started a bread delivery business, built it up, sold it on, started an auctioneering business.

4. In politics worked his way up the ladder Urban Council, County Council, Dáil. Fought many competitive elections. Politics in Mayo is an aggressive blood sport. Energetic personal canvasser

5. Did seem to be resident in RMW at times - like Pat Rabbitte on RTE when in opposition, Mary O'Rourke now.

6 HIs remarks at the Olympics to the effect that investment in sport could save investment in health came out jumbled. It happens. I recall Garrett Fitzgerald speaking ex tempore - at time his syntax could be disjointed.

nuac wrote: »
    1. Calling any politician a plonker is a little OTT - Ring is a decent and amiable bloke

3. He is a shrewder operator than many think. Left school early, afaik before L Cert. Started a bread delivery business, built it up, sold it on, started an auctioneering business.

4. In politics worked his way up the ladder Urban Council, County Council, Dáil. Fought many competitive elections. Politics in Mayo is an aggressive blood sport. Energetic personal canvasser

5. Did seem to be resident in RMW at times - like Pat Rabbitte on RTE when in opposition, Mary O'Rourke now.

6 HIs remarks at the Olympics to the effect that investment in sport could save investment in health came out jumbled. It happens. I recall Garrett Fitzgerald speaking ex tempore - at time his syntax could be disjointed.

Have to agree, think we might change the title due to a)the context of what he said wasn't understood (yet to reply) by the OP b) OP's statement re commonwealth games was incorrect.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Black Suir wrote: »
    Am i right in saying a few years back, (maybe 2 or 3) he came out with a statement saying something like we should rejoin the commonwealth.

Yap, here ya go: TD wants Queen to reign in Ireland

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Bloody hell, that's a stretch.

I'm really starting to hate the commenterati in this country (as exemplified on The Journal, but not exclusive to it) - they pounce on the most damaging way imaginable to interpret something someone says, and refuse to even contemplate the possibility that there's any other way to interpret it, because that would put a damper on their righteous indignation.

It's childish, it's transparent, it's annoying, and it's getting very, very old.

• Advertisement

Surprised at that statements. Ml Ring's granduncle Joe Ring took a very prominent part in the War of Idependence

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

He. Didn't. Mean. It.

Jesus, doesn't anyone get irony anymore?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    He. Didn't. Mean. It.

Jesus, doesn't anyone get irony anymore?

NO :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Jim2007 wrote: »

Thank you. I knew the clown had made some stupid statement and then claimed it was tonge in cheek just like he claims he was not serious about his latest gaff. Bloody clown, but then he has some good side kicks with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

nuac wrote: »

Is what people say about Charlie and Bertie OTT, or even some of the stuff people claim about SF and in particular Adams and McGuinness. Is that OTT.

Thanks for the reference re handing the country back to QE2

I think it was meant as a joke in the course of an attack on the then government.

Don't think it was taken seriously. Don't recall that it was picked up by the media or by any other politician in Mayo. In fact this thread is first I heard of it.

Of course if FF or SF had been on the ball during that debate they could have mentioned all the downsides of the Act of Union such as the famines, and the destruction of Irish industry and commerce after the Union etc.

Advertisement