Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job is a disaster.

Options
  • 14-08-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started a new job last week and it has been an utter disaster so far. I spent the first day in-house and was then sent out to a client site with no more than 5 minutes of information about the work I was going to be doing there.

It then became clear that my role on the client site loosely matches my skill set, at best. This has put me in a very uncomfortable position that I have never been in before as I have always excelled in my work. Team morale or co-operation is also no-existent on and off site. As the days have passed, I have realized that working in a culture with a strong team ethic is very important to me.

Anyway, I am thinking of giving this role another few weeks and if does not improve, I am going to cut my losses. How bad will this look on my C.V.? I have plenty of experience and excellent references from all my previous employers (I spent 3-4 year in my previous positions). Will most accept the fact that I decided to try a different career path in my area and on entering it I quickly found out that it is not suitable for me?

Note : I did realize that the nature of the work would be different but the experience of it has made me realize how unsuited I am to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Could you just leave it off your CV? Especially if it's not too long since you finished at your last place of employment. Say you went travelling or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

Could you just leave it off your CV? Especially if it's not too long since you finished at your last place of employment. Say you went travelling or something.
    Leaving it off the CV is one thing, but I don't think lying would be a good idea. The last place he worked for will be on his P45. If questioned about it afterwards (which I don't really see happening), he could say he was there for a short stint and felt it wasn't relevant to his application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Zoria wrote: »
    Leaving it off the CV is one thing, but I don't think lying would be a good idea. The last place he worked for will be on his P45. If questioned about it afterwards (which I don't really see happening), he could say he was there for a short stint and felt it wasn't relevant to his application.

I wouldn't lie outright either and say I was travelling, but you could say you were between jobs or something.
    You don't have to give your new employer a P45 - instead you can phone revenue with your PPS number and the paye registration number of the new company and they will send out a tax cert that way - no need for them to see your P45 if you don't want them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Anyway, I am thinking of giving this role another few weeks and if does not improve, I am going to cut my losses. How bad will this look on my C.V.? I have plenty of experience and excellent references from all my previous employers (I spent 3-4 year in my previous positions). Will most accept the fact that I decided to try a different career path in my area and on entering it I quickly found out that it is not suitable for me?

Yes, provided you're not there too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭tk123

In the same position myself tbh - I posted about it in the main forum a couple of weeks ago asking for pretty much the same advice. I applied for one job and realised it wasn't what I'd thought I'd be - something I stopped doing in my last job at least 5 years ago and have no interest in going back to it so I'm finding it tough going in every day. It's messed up classes etc I was doing with the dog etc so I'm miserable with the suitation.

Are you going to just leave or try and find something else first? I applied for a position I really wanted 2 or 3 days after starting in the current place.. I was upfront when I got a call back - explained that I took a temporary/stopgap position to basically get off the dole (I was made redundant) but the position wasn't what I though it was going to be and that they had rushed me into making a decision (I had 1 interview, was offered the position and given a few hours to decide). I made it clear in my cover letter that I wanted to work in this company and told the recruiter that I'd been actively watching for openings only have one I thought I was suitable for come up 48hours after starting this temp role.
    I don't have it on my cv for the simple reason that I've only been there a couple of weeks so not long enough to list duties etc (i dont have any yet!) and also they wouldn't be able to give me a reference because don't know me from Adam (or Eve in my case ;) ) frankly they're a small group of people but I wouldn't call them a team - I was there 3 days and 4 out 8 hadn't spoken a word to me - I was waiting for them to come and introduce themselves but it didn't happen! I've since managed to get some conversation going but it's not easy. I miss the team spirit from my last job and having been taken away from it know it's what I want/need to do well in a role.
    When I was asked about the current role in the interview I told them that while there was the potential to gain exposure to technolgies I hadn't worked with before personally I preferred an environment that was more like their own and gave examples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

tk123 wrote: »
    Are you going to just leave or try and find something else first?

I don't have it on my cv for the simple reason that I've only been there a couple of weeks so not long enough to list duties etc (i dont have any yet!) and also they wouldn't be able to give me a reference because don't know me from Adam (or Eve in my case ;) ) frankly they're a small group of people but I wouldn't call them a team - I was there 3 days and 4 out 8 hadn't spoken a word to me - I was waiting for them to come and introduce themselves but it didn't happen! I've since managed to get some conversation going but it's not easy. I miss the team spirit from my last job and having been taken away from it know it's what I want/need to do well in a role.

Our situations are extremely alike in terms of our experience in our new roles. The piece I have highlighted really strikes a note with me. I certainly wouldn't or couldn't ask anyone within the new role for a reference. Thankfully, all my previous employers are available for excellent references.

I am going to make plans over the next few weeks to move. I am only required to provide one weeks notice in my new role, for the first 6 months, so I can move pretty quickly. I am actually getting the ball rolling next week on this. I am aiming to move mid to late September. I will leave it off my C.V.. too, as it add nothing to it. If people ask me about it, I am going to be honest and say that I took up this role but realized that the nature of the role was not for me. i.e. Very much along the same lines as yourself.

Advertisement