Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you emigrate to?

• 14-08-2012 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Places that are unlike Ireland, with a different economy and government. Are Australia, Canada and the UK doing well? People are leaving, I would love to know where they're going, and if they're getting jobs!

Are there any places other than the ones mentioned above too that us Irish seem to succeed in lately?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Greece.
    Go to Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Mars !! I hear it Rocks there ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Brazil or Kazakhstan.

Both will be world superpowers within 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Iceland
    Faroe Islands
    Shetland Islands
    Svalbard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

The Playboy Mansion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Antarctica.

Look at me naming a completely inappropriate plate to emigrate to.

Look, LOOK LOOK HOW FUNNY I AM.

... You're not looking.

Antarctica.

Look at me naming a completely inappropriate plate to emigrate to.

Look, LOOK LOOK HOW FUNNY I AM.

... You're not looking.

Not really a place to emigrate to but you could get a job there for a year if you're lucky

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/employment/vacancies/

Only 2 on there now but in the spring there will be a rake of jobs posted on there

eth0 wrote: »
    Not really a place to emigrate to but you could get a job there for a year if you're lucky

Hang on, Mars is ok... but Antarctica is just unrealistic?

Hang on, Mars is ok... but Antarctica is just unrealistic.?

A job on mars would be a job for life, you'd have to retire there too due to the difficulties with bringing a rocket filled with enough fuel to mars that can actually escape the gravity of the place. Not impossible to do but it would have to be assembled on mars and take several launches to get all the stuff from earth.

• Advertisement

A job on mars would be a job for life, you'd have to retire there too due to the difficulties with bringing a rocket filled with enough fuel to mars that can actually escape the gravity of the place. Not impossible to do but it would have to be assembled on mars and take several launches to get all the stuff from earth.

But... but the whole point was that you can't emigrate there...

That's what makes it HILARIOUS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

The Netherlands. It is brilliant. The people are lovely, dull, but generally pleasant. That also goes for the food, the weather, the landscape and the tv. Their work ethic seems to be pretty iffy, so it easy to come across as an enthusiastic employee.

But... but the whole point was that you can't emigrate there...

That's what makes it HILARIOUS.
    Give it a couple of years. NASA might be looking for volunteers

The Netherlands. It is brilliant. The people are lovely, dull, but generally pleasant. That also goes for the food, the weather, the landscape and the tv. Their work ethic seems to be pretty iffy, so it easy to come across as an enthusiastic employee.

Overly bureaucratic, over populated, restrictive and generally have a law against everything. I lived there before and would hate to live there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

I'm going to Canada in a few weeks. I was considering Australia aswell but the hot climate, sh1tty sports and annoying accent turned me right off.

I'm going to Canada in a few weeks. I was considering Australia aswell but the hot climate, sh1tty sports and annoying accent turned me right off.

Give me a year and I might see you over there.

Overly bureaucratic, over populated, restrictive and generally have a law against everything. I lived there before and would hate to live there again.

I dunno man, I haven't had any trouble. They are a little officious alright, but then I work in a tattoo parlour so I am likely to be dealing with the least officious Dutchmen I suppose...

All the light switches being high up annoys me more.

I dunno man, I haven't had any trouble. They are a little officious alright, but then I work in a tattoo parlour so I am likely to be dealing with the least officious Dutchmen I suppose...

All the light switches being high up annoys me more.

those are probably not too bad so but an awful load of dry sh1tes who thrive on ratting out their neighbour for not obeying some silly law in that country I found. They are very heavy on the big brother stuff too, mandatory to carry ID everywhere for citizens, they invented speed cameras and have lots of them. Not my kind of place at all, people think just because there's a few legit shops where you can smoke a bit of weed the whole country has a 'do as you please, live and let live' attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I really want to move to Norway but I'm not quite sure why :D I think it looks beautiful and the economy is good. Isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

I dont know why but i have always wanted to go to costa rica.

Personly i think that is the coolest name that a country can have. That could be it. Am i aloud to judge a country by its name :confused:

• Advertisement

those are probably not too bad so but an awful load of dry sh1tes who thrive on ratting out their neighbour for not obeying some silly law in that country I found. They are very heavy on the big brother stuff too, mandatory to carry ID everywhere for citizens, they invented speed cameras and have lots of them. Not my kind of place at all, people think just because there's a few legit shops where you can smoke a bit of weed the whole country has a 'do as you please, live and let live' attitude

No no. I don't think it is a hippy haven at all, never did either. If you want "sure, it's grand" from society at large, you should probably stay put in Ireland.

No no. I don't think it is a hippy haven at all, never did either. If you want "sure, it's grand" from society at large, you should probably stay put in Ireland.

A lot of opposition against the 'sure its grand' in Ireland, mostly from young urbanites working in IT wanting everything done following a procedure. I need a backup place in case Ireland becomes too much like the Netherlands as it has been doing for quite some time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

I really want to move to Norway but I'm not quite sure why :D I think it looks beautiful and the economy is good. Isn't it?

Oslo is like a very cold Galway. I wouldn't recommend it.

On the other, Switzerland is fantasic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

paky wrote: »
    Oslo is like a very cold Galway. I wouldn't recommend it.

On the other, Switzerland is fantasic!

I was thinking more of rural Norway, beside a fjord somewhere. They're beautiful! Although I'd only do it if I won the lotto. There'd be no jobs out there :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

LOL where in Canada you going??

Canada has really humid hot summers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

God... wrote: »

Hot summers and cold winters the way it should be, none of this christmas day on the beach lark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/employment/vacancies/

Only 2 on there now but in the spring there will be a rake of jobs posted on there

Marine Technology Engineer
    Salary will be in the range of £26,180 to £29,410 per annum.

**** that for a game of darts!

I was thinking more of rural Norway, beside a fjord somewhere. They're beautiful! Although I'd only do it if I won the lotto. There'd be no jobs out there :L

theres plenty of work in rural norway. check it out

I want somewhere with 30* summers, 5* winters cheap rent and wages just above or about Ireland's. Also do not want extreme rural.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

God... wrote: »

Parts of British Columbia have a climate similar to ours, others have cold winters and hot summers. IIRC it is due to it's position between the Rocky mountains and the Pacific ocean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

If I could move to the US, I'd be gone tomorrow.

Parts of British Columbia have a climate similar to ours, others have cold winters and hot summers. IIRC it is due to it's position between the Rocky mountains and the Pacific ocean.

Vancouver seemed so expensive to rent. Otherwise you were living in a ghetto and relying on public transport to get to work.

Dean09 wrote: »

Then why don't you?

Vancouver seemed so expensive to rent. Otherwise you were living in a ghetto and relying on public transport to get to work.

Major shortage of property and available land there - they were considering allowing people to divide their homes to create more housing. I considered a move some years ago and houses cost in the region of one millions dollars :eek:. They were fairly standard houses too.

Still looks lovely though ............... when I win the lotto I'll definitely go :pac:.

paky wrote: »
    Then why don't you?

Family reasons. Plus it's hard enough to get a green card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'd love to emmigrate home to Ireland. Great sausages, great bacon, guinness, friendly people in shops, random characters on the street or public transport, Dominos pizza, Abra Kebabra's Garlic cheese and chips, clothes that fit and dont cost a bomb, chatty taxi drivers, asking for directions only to hear "jaysus I wouldnt be starting from here", hearing "fierce" as a synonym of "very", rain(yeah I know!), no temperatures above about 30c, Morning Ireland, the Six One news, Sharon Ni Bheolain, Gay Byrne, lamb thats easy to find(I bought some today from a halal butchers! First lamb since Christmas! wohoo!) Black pudding, seeing Father Ted reruns on the telly, going sight seeing on the Red Luas line("da ticket mans gone, roide me qwik before he comes back!"), I could go on.......

Another way overrated place I have no desire to ever go to again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Hot summers and cold winters the way it should be, none of this christmas day on the beach lark.

The weather here in Ontario can be extreme to be honest. In July we had plenty of days that were in the mid-30s, late-30s. With humidity days were well into the 40s - frankly too hot to go and do anything in; the city actually has to set up cooling centres so people can get out of the heat.

Then there's winter. Snow and snow and minus-30.

The thing is, as bad as it can get - you'll acclimatize. The most important thing is that if you're going to be outside for any period of time be prepared. Get yourself a good quality winter coat, long johns, good gloves and winter boots - don't cheap out.

Having said that if you'd prefer a less extreme climate you could go west to Vancouver; it has a climate more like Ireland's, if anything.

One word of warning, however. Canada is not the land of opportunity that some seem to think it is; unemployment here is close to eight percent and it takes a hell of a long time to actually locate work. If you can, try to get work before you arrive. If you can't, make sure you have enough money to survive on for at least three months. Things take a long time here.

Major shortage of property and available land there - they were considering allowing people to divide their homes to create more housing. I considered a move some years ago and houses cost in the region of one millions dollars :eek:. They were fairly standard houses too.

Still looks lovely though ............... when I win the lotto I'll definitely go :pac:.

I was looking at a house that was around €1200 per month. Looked like an Australian style wooden house with 2.5 bedrooms and a garage, A lot less than what you would get in Dublin for €1200. I read on and realised that the ad was for the 2 rooms in the garage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'm thinking about
    • Canada
    • Australia
    • France
    • Spain
    • Germany
    In that order for now.

I won't be living in Ireland by next Christmas if all goes to plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

For some weird reason I'd love to move to Japan , haven't got a clue why...

Yeah I know, I hold a Canadian passport. I was just laughing because some of the most unbearable weather I've ever been in was in Toronto. It can hit +40s sometimes with the humidity. Get out of the shower and you do be already sweating!!

Another way overrated place I have no desire to ever go to again

That's your opinion. Personally I love the place.
    Different strokes for different folks.

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    For some weird reason I'd love to move to Japan , haven't got a clue why...

It's on my bucket list! Not to live just to visit mind.

Teach me more geography!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I'd choose a country with a low Gini coefficient (basically, with little difference between the income of richest and poorest) because of the research showing that this means better society in terms of low crime rates, relaxed life, fair laws, low infant and maternal mortality, good health care, decent life for old people, sane attitude to each other.

I'd choose a country with a low Gini coefficient (basically, with little difference between the income of richest and poorest) because of the research showing that this means better society in terms of low crime rates, relaxed life, fair laws, low infant and maternal mortality, good health care, decent life for old people, sane attitude to each other.

Out of curiosity, which countries fall under that category?

Teach me more geography!

That's the extent of my knowledge, unfortunately. I probably looked intelligent until you called me on it :o :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Out of curiosity, which countries fall under that category?
    Ireland for one.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement