Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you emigrate to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I'd choose a country with a low Gini coefficient (basically, with little difference between the income of richest and poorest) because of the research showing that this means better society in terms of low crime rates, relaxed life, fair laws, low infant and maternal mortality, good health care, decent life for old people, sane attitude to each other.

You can't take that on its own, for example Scandanavia scores well and the USA scores poorly. The US would have more opportunities to make money but this gives it an unfavourable rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Dean09 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, which countries fall under that category?

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_income_equality

(you can sort this various ways - probably best is to click the World Bank column to rank it by that)

Mind you, you'd also need to look at the politics, for instance Denmark, which has a great Gini ratio, is moving swiftly to the right at the moment because an anti-immigrant party is in coalition; this may change the ratio as anti-immigrant parties tend to prefer a higher difference between the incomes of rich and poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

That's the extent of my knowledge, unfortunately. I probably looked intelligent until you called me on it :o :pac:.

Ah sure don't worry, I've forgotten most of my higher level geography at this stage.

Except the bit about ox-bow lakes, I'm pretty sure that knowledge is going to come in handy any day now...

You can't take that on its own, for example Scandanavia scores well and the USA scores poorly. The US would have more opportunities to make money but this gives it an unfavourable rating.

More opportunities to make money? How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Ah sure don't worry, I've forgotten most of my higher level geography at this stage.

Except the bit about ox-bow lakes, I'm pretty sure that knowledge is going to come in handy any day now...

Well, la di da, higher level geography!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I'm thinking about
    • Canada
    • Australia
    • France
    • Spain
    • Germany
    In that order for now.

I won't be living in Ireland by next Christmas if all goes to plan.

Out of that lot I'd pick either Germany or France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

I plan to feck off to Canada next year.

What's an ox-bow lake? And how should it affect our decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

girlonfire wrote: »
    I plan to feck off to Canada next year.

you wont get on the plane if your on fire :D they wont let you :( but if its another kinda fire theres a cream for that :pac:

Im bringing the horse to france, So I can snowboard every day again I kind amiss that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Canada or Scandinavia
    syklops wrote: »
    I'd love to emmigrate home to Ireland. Great sausages, great bacon, guinness, friendly people in shops, random characters on the street or public transport, Dominos pizza, Abra Kebabra's Garlic cheese and chips, clothes that fit and dont cost a bomb, chatty taxi drivers, asking for directions only to hear "jaysus I wouldnt be starting from here", hearing "fierce" as a synonym of "very", rain(yeah I know!), no temperatures above about 30c, Morning Ireland, the Six One news, Sharon Ni Bheolain, Gay Byrne, lamb thats easy to find(I bought some today from a halal butchers! First lamb since Christmas! wohoo!) Black pudding, seeing Father Ted reruns on the telly, going sight seeing on the Red Luas line("da ticket mans gone, roide me qwik before he comes back!"), I could go on.......

Do you seriously miss all that? :confused:

Rattle off a few things that you prefer about Czech Republic to balance it out :pac:

What's an ox-bow lake? And how should it affect our decision?

Its onion skin weathering that could be an issue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I dont know why but i have always wanted to go to costa rica.

Personly i think that is the coolest name that a country can have. That could be it. Am i aloud to judge a country by its name :confused:
    Well, it is called the Rich Coast, you might be on to something there...

I'm in Brazil right now and would love to stay but working visas are pretty tough to get so will have to come home for a bit.

The Czech Republic is grand but don't think I myself could spend my life there.

I'm hoping to go back to Spain one day, would also be interested in one of the German-speaking countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Italy. It's never going to happen now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

San Franciso is my destination of choice. An unbelievable city.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

i wonder what its like to live in Jersey.

"Farmers and growers often sell surplus food and flowers in boxes on the roadside, relying on the honesty of customers to drop the correct change into the money box and take what they want."

hmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

San Francisco or Berlin for me. One has sun, cocktails and gay bars, the other has Black Forrest Gatuex and underground raves. Yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I really want to move to Norway but I'm not quite sure why :D I think it looks beautiful and the economy is good. Isn't it?
    Norway is getting into trouble with a property bubble forming and its currency appreciating. They can't raise interest rates to kill the property bubble because that will just make the currency stronger again. Could get messy.

paky wrote: »
    On the other, Switzerland is fantasic!
    I lived there for a bit. Fantastically boring. But safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

I'm in Brazil right now and would love to stay but working visas are pretty tough to get

we should return the same favour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Norway is getting into trouble with a property bubble forming and its currency appreciating. They can't raise interest rates to kill the property bubble because that will just make the currency stronger again. Could get messy.

That= bad economy? I don't understand property bubbles and the like :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Raekwon wrote: »
    Canada or Scandinavia

I was not being ironic, sarcastic or facetious. I do miss those things.
    Rattle off a few things that you prefer about Czech Republic to balance it out :pac:

I do seriously miss all that. 35+ degrees weather is grand when your on holiday in Spain and can go chill by the pool, but going to work and functioning throughout the day is hard.

Things I like about CR? 24 hour licensing, being able to shoot loads of different guns all of whom are impossible to access in Ireland, snow in winter, low crime rate, errr...

That would be it I think.

Well our bubble didn't work out very well... ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

For me I'd like to immigrate to somewhere where it is hot and rain is as rare as Irish sunshine, somewhere like Texas in America would be ideal with heat, it also has proper laws there and an unequal society enough to satisfy me. Wealth = Happiness in my philosophy. Ireland isn't too bad if there was enough money here, ideally you'd want around €40 - €50k a year and be able to take a weekend away to the sun every month and totally avoid February, March and April, June, July and August.

If I hit the lottery, I'd live in Thailand for 6 months a year Feb, Mar, Apr and return to Ireland in May in the hope of a bit of summer, before then fleeing back to Thailand to avoid the rainy season here aka "summer" and spend June, July and August abroad also. I'd then return to Ireland for Autumn and winter and escape to Norway or Iceland if we had failed to get snow by December 1st and spend a few weeks in snow heaven.

I hate the weather here and all I want is some genuine heat and give us a proper bloody winter with decent snow and cold temps, this is what winter should be like and not just the constant rain we always seem to get every single month. I'd die a happy man if I never again saw another drop of rain, which brings me to the Atacama desert in Chile as another possible euromillions relocation.

Instead I am stuck in Ireland with 365 shades of grey and rain, most depressing country on earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'll probably move to Ireland myself. Over in America right now. The grass is always greener Had the idea before moving that the work environment would be tough but it's a bit tougher than expected. I'll stick it for my year and it's not getting me down or anything, don't mind a bit of hard graft but when everybody is on edge constantly in the work place it makes things a bit tense. Also not enjoying 47 degree heat, no cool breeze, difficult to breathe. Commuting for hours a day ain't fun and everything being so spread out gets annoying.

I really didn't like Australia when I visited. But then I was there for work. Cairns was really crappy, it was hyped so much to me and just fell completely flat. I liked Sydney but then it's not the nicest city I've ever been to either I have only met 1 Irish person since I got to Arizona and that was because it was arranged for me to meet him. I don't need to hang out with Irish people and if I go to a different country I kind of like to get away from the Irish and get to know the locals. I like the Irish but getting away from Ireland is getting away from the people too for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I do seriously miss all that. 35+ degrees weather is grand when your on holiday in Spain and can go chill by the pool, but going to work and functioning throughout the day is hard.

I'm worked in 35+ and it's tough but I acclimatised quick enough, plus it's not always that temperature in Czech Rep during the summer, late 20's would be the average IME.

I would love proper seasons though. Warm summers and snowy winters. Overall the climate in Ireland is grand.........it's the wind and rain that f**k everything up.
    Things I like about CR? 24 hour licensing, being able to shoot loads of different guns all of whom are impossible to access in Ireland, snow in winter, low crime rate, errr...

That would be it I think.

So what about the ridiculous cheap but excellent quality beers, absolutely stunning women at every turn, being able to travel to other Europe countries by car/train/bus, having mountains high enough that you can ski/snowboard on, etc, etc :)

That's okay. Neither did most property developers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

The Netherlands. It is brilliant. The people are lovely, dull, but generally pleasant. That also goes for the food, the weather, the landscape and the tv. Their work ethic seems to be pretty iffy, so it easy to come across as an enthusiastic employee.

+1
    I spent a year there and would agree. Wasn't mad on Amsterdam but some of the smaller cities and towns are great. Cycling to work in the morning through tulip fields was a nice start to the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'm thinking about
    • Canada
    • Australia
    • France
    • Spain
    • Germany
    In that order for now.

Australia is a big no imo, they're roughly where we were in 02/03 and will have a monster crash before the decade is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm thinking about
    • Canada
    • Australia
    • France
    • Spain
    • Germany
    In that order for now.

Go with Germany. Decent climate, lots of jobs, strong economy, no BS with visas, language is easy, cheap living, great health system, great people, they work hard and party hard (younger generation are nothing like the stereotypes that get portrayed), 24 hr bars, only a 2 hour flight to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Australia is a big no imo, they're roughly where we were in 02/03 and will have a monster crash before the decade is over.

Australia's boom is built on natural resources, they have huge mineral wealth and billions upon billions of barrels of oil and gas in reserve. The price for natural resources will always maintain an economy.

Our boom was built on bull**** talk from property developers, politicians, banks and a huge population of gullible people.

• Advertisement

Australia's boom is built on natural resources, they have huge mineral wealth and billions upon billions of barrels of oil and gas in reserve. The price for natural resources will always maintain an economy.
    Not true. If the demand for these natural resources eases, the price can collapse completely, leaving the whole economy in the toilet. And recall that Russia had masses of natural resources when it was bust throughout the 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Abu Dhabi / Dubai, oh wait, already done that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Not true. If the demand for these natural resources eases, the price can collapse completely, leaving the whole economy in the toilet. And recall that Russia had masses of natural resources when it was bust throughout the 90s.

You can't compare Russia and Australia in terms of economic policy. Australia now is one of the most developed countries in the world. Russia/USSR was barely a second world country in the late 80's and 90's. It is still very much a second world country.

Australia's gas exports will only rocket in the next 10-15 years. Japan are replacing power generated by their closing nuclear plants with LNG. The closest source is the Timor Sea and East Indian ocean which Australia controls most of it.

Captain Commie FYI - Oil only contributes about 5% of Dubai's GDP per year, Dubai went bust the very same way as Ireland did. Fortunately for them they can get loans from AD and Qatar rather than the IMF.

Abu Dhabi and the ADNOC specifically had revenue of €70bn in 2010 alone. Abu Dhabi is nowhere near to going bust and won't for a long long time.

Just because they are part of the UAE doesn't mean they have the same economy.

Demand will not ease for oil/gas anytime soon judging by the number of licences/contracts I see awarded on a daily basis.

My housemate, who came back from Australia last year said that if you were to head over to Australia now, it would be like arriving at a house party at 5 am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Denmark maybe..not sure why, don't know any Danish...it's never going to happen!..or Germany! :pac:

Maybe Russia was bust in the 1990s because it was being asset-stripped?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Well, it is called the Rich Coast, you might be on to something there...
    I
    I'm in Brazil right now and would love to stay but working visas are pretty tough to get so will have to come home for a bit.

The Czech Republic is grand but don't think I myself could spend my life there.

I'm hoping to go back to Spain one day, would also be interested in one of the German-speaking countries.

I'm in Czech on hols and it seems lovely in Prague. What puts you off Czech republic ? It has a lot going for it IMO but I've rose tinted hol glasses on.

Thanks I'm interested in opinions on Czech

Maybe Russia was bust in the 1990s because it was being asset-stripped?
    Changing who owns companies shouldn't have a great affect on the economy, but it was cited to refute the notion that a country with plentiful natural resources will always have a strong economy. I could have named 50 other countries in Asia, Africa or South America.

uberalles wrote: »
    I'm in Czech on hols and it seems lovely in Prague. What puts you off Czech republic ? It has a lot going for it IMO but I've rose tinted hol glasses on.

We don't hold a candle to the Czech Republic in terms of corruption, based on first-hand accounts from a friend of mine who has worked there on and off for nearly a decade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

I really want to move to Norway but I'm not quite sure why :D I think it looks beautiful and the economy is good. Isn't it?

Beautiful country, but difficult to move to. Learning the language is a must if you want to settle there long term, and obviously the place is expensive if you're not working.
    Oslo if fantastic though, jump on a tram for a few miles into the hills then ski back down. Climate's similar to ireland, just with colder winter & more snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

uberalles wrote: »

Its a nice place, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't have spent a year there otherwise and I only left because Brazil came calling.

For long-term though, my problem was mainly with the language and the people.

The language is really difficult to get a grasp of but is practically essential for long-term living (if you don't have a Czech partner). Also, Czechs aren't patient or accommodating enough to help you practice, they will just switch to English instead which is really frustrating.

I am generalising greatly but I found Czech people to be distant and introverted, even more so with foreigners. There are some exceptions but I found it very difficult to make Czech friends, most of my friends were foreigners and, to me, it's pointless living in a foreign country if you have no local friends. I noticed that a lot of other foreigners I met there also had mostly foreign friends.

A big problem in the Czech Republic is the rampant racism when it comes to Roma. It's really unsettling for a country that is, in other areas, pretty forward-thinking. Bureaucracy, the winter and corruption are also off-putting.

Of course, my experience relates to my personality. I am quite introverted so I need to be around extroverted people to bring my personality out. For me, compared to somewhere like Brazil, where people are much more open, it just felt too distant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I think I'll move back to China where I was worshipped as a God because of my ginger hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I'd say Germany would be a good choice, well run in all aspects, low corruption,superb infrastructure, clean, pretty nicely balanced weather, centrally located, only a train ride to Brussels,Amsterdam or France, low crime rates, established ex pat communities if that was your bag.and most Germans are nice, friendly people.

If I was 22, fluent in the language with appropriate transferable skills I'd be seriously considering Munich or Dusseldorf.

dd972 wrote: »
    If I was 22, fluent in the language with appropriate transferable skills I'd be seriously considering Munich or Dusseldorf.
    Or Cologne, or Berlin - actually there are a lot of cool cities in Germany. Could end up there yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Singapore are nations where jobs are plentiful for the profession I'm studying. I may try Canada first as its the nearest.

I'd love not to have to emigrate but out of 40 students of the year above me, 1 student got a job in Ireland. So unless a miracle happens in the next year within the HSE, I'll be going abroad. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

As a German, who knows the country, I would recommend Dortmund (and the Ruhrgebiet/Ruhrvalley) as such, Hamburg or Bremen.

Munich is one of the most expensive cities in Germany, when it comes to rents and shopping, and Berlin...like any other Capital, can be expensive as well, unless you end up in a dive

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Munich is one of the most expensive cities in Germany, when it comes to rents and shopping, and Berlin...like any other Capital, can be expensive as well, unless you end up in a dive
    But you can rent a place in Berlin for peanuts compared to Dublin. Munich is indeed a pricey place to live, as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Lars1916 wrote: »
    As a German, who knows the country, I would recommend Dortmund (and the Ruhrgebiet/Ruhrvalley) as such, Hamburg or Bremen.

Super country, wish I was on an ICE Zug headed for Berlin Hbf now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Canada or Scandinavia

Cheap drink & cheap hookers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Well i dont mind the interest rates going up,as long as the house prices goes down.
    The prices are ridiculous at the moment.
    Cant wait untill it happens so i can move back again;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement