Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you emigrate to?

Comments

Germany or switzerland
    wouldnt object to a stopover in london for a while

that's the plan anyway

one of the lads in work has just left, going to australia
    suppose there must be demand for actuaries there same as anywhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

My cousin just left for Australia. Working on a farm over there with 2000 cows, great money and a free house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

bluewolf wrote: »
    Germany or switzerland
    I suggest you try Switzerland for a trial period before committing to the place. It's nice, but I was bored stupid there. Plenty of xenophobic people there too.

I suggest you try Switzerland for a trial period before committing to the place. It's nice, but I was bored stupid there. Plenty of xenophobic people there too.

Ah yeah, I wouldn't actually move somewhere without trying it out first
    I just meant that's what's in my head to try out, I suppose :)

I don't know where I'll end up long term

friend has been over there a few years now and seems to quite like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

America all the way,Europe doesn't appeal to me that or back to Singapore Hk,at least I could save cash.

Sappa wrote: »
    America all the way,Europe doesn't appeal to me that or back to Singapore Hk,at least I could save cash.
    It's tricky to get into America legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

bluewolf wrote: »
    Germany or switzerland

Agree totally with your last two sentences.Im living in switterland a year now and I really feel like i want to move on.the election posters here at campaign time shocked me aswell.the popular fat-right parties posters were openly racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I am happy enough to stay in Ireland for now. Move somewhere else if needs be until I'd consider going abroad. If I had to choose be UK, Canada, New Zealand, US or somewhere in Europe where there is a strong nation of English speakers not jut their only native language!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I drove into Geniva in a bright orange mini bus and got rally funny looks :(
    Its a strange place :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

I'd emigrate to Cavan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

cgal093 wrote: »
    I'd emigrate to Cavan

and if you fvck up with a banks and owe millions your loyal followers will protest for you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Probably the uk, maybe australia or canada also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I would like to live in Italy, but I would have to learn Italian, that doesn't really appeal as I am still learning English.

I have absolutely no talent for languages. I think the Italians should all learn English.

smurgen wrote: »
    Agree totally with your last two sentences.Im living in switterland a year now and I really feel like i want to move on.the election posters here at campaign time shocked me aswell.the popular fat-right parties posters were openly racist.
    Yes, the posters are very, very strongly redolent of the stuff the Nazi party were distributing in Germany in their heyday. Look at the brown people trying to steal a piece of Switzerland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Norway is getting into trouble with a property bubble forming and its currency appreciating. They can't raise interest rates to kill the property bubble because that will just make the currency stronger again. Could get messy.

slam the property market with some form of asset tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

Anyone see film "24 Days Of Nite" ........?

I have no desire to leave Ireland whatsoever but if I had to move somewhere it would be California, spent two weeks there earlier this year and its a special place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

new york

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Eden3 wrote: »
    Anyone see film "24 Days Of Nite" ........?

About vampires?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bleepp

Cuba..great craic to be had there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

bleepp wrote: »
    Cuba..great craic to be had there.

I'm emigrating to your house, make sure there's clean sheets and beer in in the fridge and if you're female all the better !

dd972 wrote: »
    I'm emigrating to your house, make sure there's clean sheets and beer in in the fridge and if you're female all the better !

Sound job....the front light is on, knock twice so I'll know its you.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

right,that's the lads alerted ! :D Party On !

I live at 123 fake street.
    This will be epic lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Out of interest, has there been a recent surge in Irish emigrants to Poland since the Euros?

I have only visited Poland three times and once was only a day trip, but it is a beautiful country. Second only to Czech, when it comes to the recent accession states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

I'm keen on moving to Antwerp, Belgium in the next 1.5 - 2 years. It's a place I love and would like to etch out a life for myself there. I'm currently learning Dutch, and I'm back and forth from there fact finding on a regular basis. My two main obstacles are money and family commitments (parental, I haven't started my own yet). As soon as those two obstacles are overcome I'll be off, planning has begun and I'm working hard to reach my goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Rynox45

If I had to choose somewhere it'd be Iceland because it seems nice, but the language is a problem.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    and Berlin...like any other Capital, can be expensive as well, unless you end up in a dive

If you're a native German then the last thing I want to do is dispute what you say on a public forum - you being the expert and all that, but seriously? Berlin is "expensive''?

Because of my work I lived all over Europe in the last 20-something years, and I have to say the place I was most impressed with outside of Norway was Berlin. I lived there for 2011 and if I had to pick one city to retire in, that's it.

I lived in a really really nice area of Schonenberg, around the corner from Nollendorfplatz Ubahn, and I can tell you that's no "dive"! In fact I had some very rich neighbours. Cheap rent, top class restaurants all over the area, best public transport system anywhere, nice pubs, great shopping, totally safe to walk around at night, cheap supermarkets, lovely parks/forests, and nobody ever even attempted to rip me off anywhere.

Last time I checked you could still buy a studio flat for 29K in Spandau. (maybe it's gone up since then)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jennifer Parker

If you're a native German then the last thing I want to do is dispute what you say on a public forum - you being the expert and all that, but seriously? Berlin is "expensive''?
    honestly, I know a bunch of other cities here that are way more expensive... Berlin got more expensive than it used to be. However, compared to Frankfurt, Düsseldorf, Bonn, Hamburg and some of town in the southern part of Germany Berlin ist still cheap enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I don't find Berlin expensive at all, on the contrary, BUT, the wages are generally very low there, so it's all relative really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Marine Technology Engineer
    Salary will be in the range of £26,180 to £29,410 per annum.

**** that for a game of darts!

Well it's not like you're gonna have anywhere to spend it in Antarctica... think of it as a savings scheme for 6-18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

France next May. Can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Vienna for me.

Hot summers, cold winters with ski resorts right beside the city.

Lots of jobs that would you could get without speaking German, low cost of living and basically just a great lifestyle available there.

Thats why its been voted best city in the world to live last 2 years.

Would also love to move to Brazil, but mainly for the muff. Place is probably too dangerous though.

Difficult country to move to,lived there and have no desire to live in France again.

Oh can you elaborate? I know there's a lot of red tape.

It really depends on the region and what type of person you are.
    If you can live in a rural setting with a lack of integration then there are so many stunning areas but I could not live in a small French town even passing through them is relatively boring after a short stay.
    I lived in Paris,bureaucracy that will drive you mad.
    The simplest things here are so difficult there,opening a bank account,apartment rentals,phone contracts a huge headache.
    Inefficiency of French workers,laziness and a lack of care in the job.
    Red tape and more red tape,Patis is a very very unfriendly city,you can be waiting 30 minutes in a macdonalds for your order regularly,extremly slow at checkouts in supermarkets,no idea how to deliver proper service this was my experience and I would never work there again for a number of reasons.
    Our office was a joke,the French would take a 2nd lunch break come back in the afternoon and nipp of for a haircut,best month is August I never tool holidays that time as all the French staff went we could get some work done and the streets of Paris were quieter.
    What I could never figure about their mentality was my local boulangerie would shut down for 6 weeks in the middle of the summer for holidays,what business would ever dream of doing that I could never get it.

Bordeaux is the plan I think. I've friends who lived there for a year before who are coming with me and they've done all the red tape before so hopefully that'll make it easier. Aside from that did you enjoy it? I want to improve my French and I have a huge love for the culture so I'm hopeful I'll enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

All my relatives that emigrated went to Australia, so I would follow :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

To the Mars Colonies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭dhmusic

Definitely not the place where all the 5h1tes go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Hong Kong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

Pandora ideally, I'd settle for Toronto, New York, Moscow or Sidney! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've always thought id love to live in America, I've been on holidays there a bunch of times and loved it but I suppose actually living there might be different. Some aspects of America frighten me though, mostly crazy right wing evangelical christians... and Spain, I could live in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Thinking about heading off to Philadelphia or San Francisco once I finish my degree. Originally had planned to go to Toronto or even Quebec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Im lucky in that in my job, in a couple of year time, maybe 5 or 4, I might be able to move to the carribbean with work relating to all the off shore accounts in the caymans etc...

I'd go in a heartbeat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

MadYaker wrote: »
    I've always thought id love to live in America, I've been on holidays there a bunch of times and loved it but I suppose actually living there might be different. Some aspects of America frighten me though, mostly crazy right wing evangelical christians... and Spain, I could live in Spain.

Stick to the major cities in the US and you will skip all religion related craziness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I have no desire to leave Ireland whatsoever but if I had to move somewhere it would be California, spent two weeks there earlier this year and its a special place!

I'm just back (briefly, on the move elsewhere again soon) from living in California for the last while and had no desire to live there long term. I just didn't warm to the place at all. It just felt very cut off from everywhere, even the rest of the United States, Chicago is a 4 hour plane journey for example and New York is 6. Unemployment is high, it's unbelievably expensive to live in, the choice of food was either fast food junk or ridiculously overprice organic stuff. I don't know, other Irish people I met out there loved it but I just didn't warm to the place at all.

I'd move to Chicago on the other hand in an instant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Yes, the posters are very, very strongly redolent of the stuff the Nazi party were distributing in Germany in their heyday. Look at the brown people trying to steal a piece of Switzerland...

Wow :eek: are they real campaign posters? Seem very over the top!

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    They are real, unfortunately. Recall that there are certain cantons where women weren't allowed to vote until the 80s and 90s (the 1980s, not the 1880s...). Switzerland has a lot going for it, but plenty going against it too...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

crapmanjoe wrote: »

there's worse than that again. Also it's not as if the party that's doing this are some small party like the BNP, they are the biggest political party in Switzerland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Vancouver Island, Niagara on the Lake, Quebec City (I dont have enough French for Quebec though)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

In the not to distant future I shall be moving back to portugal, lived there for over 10 years back in the day and love the country.

Advertisement