Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update tipped for August 29th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

No never rooted at all. Just been updating firmware through Odin and happy enough with that. Touchwiz only freezes a couple of times a day so its not really a problem until the official Jellybean release comes out.

Haven't had any problems so far with the ringtones.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

s_carnage wrote: »
    No never rooted at all. Just been updating firmware through Odin and happy enough with that. Touchwiz only freezes a couple of times a day so its not really a problem until the official Jellybean release comes out.

Haven't had any problems so far with the ringtones.

I get the touchwiz FC a few times a day as well , but other than clearing the warning message it isn't causing problems.

On the ringtones - not having a problem as such , but the update did change all my pre-set tones back to defaults , no previous update did this. I had to go back in and reset my various choices.

Also , when I 1st updated I was getting a continuous Media.process FC - Went in and cleared the Cache from the "Media Storage" app and that solved that problem..

Generally seems quicker and smoother though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Also , when I 1st updated I was getting a continuous Media.process FC - Went in and cleared the Cache from the "Media Storage" app and that solved that problem..

i had that and did a factory/data reset to clear it :P
    i guess your solution may have been slightly better :P

i also had google.process or soemthing else which was FC also, though, although i guess there is a similar workaround to fix that :)

recommendations are to check this new rom so?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

kenyard wrote: »
    i had that and did a factory/data reset to clear it :P
    i guess your solution may have been slightly better :P

i also had google.process or soemthing else which was FC also, though, although i guess there is a similar workaround to fix that :)

recommendations are to check this new rom so?

Actually, I was getting the Google.Process one as well , the 2 would pop-up one after another..

The Media cache clear solved both :)

In terms of the ROM - It's swings and roundabouts I think...

I was running LH8 and it never gave any problems

This latest one is smoother/faster and I like the new features like Blocking mode and obviously the fact that they tweaked the memory so that you now have 818Mb available instead of the previous 788Mb helps performance , but I do get the odd FC from TouchWiz.

the lh9 update has both of those things, though i hafnt used blocking mode as of yet. still dont think i have a huge amount of free ram even tough its an extra 30Mb... figured i would have more, though i guess i have a load more apps now...

anyone got swiftkey working on it? or is it just that i need to update swiftkey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi,

I updated mine yesterday through Kies, it's on build no BLG8 and baseband version LH1. I can't see the Block mode and my RAM has 779mb. Where do i get a newer build? Had a look on XDA but can't see it anywhere.

Thanks

Hi,

I updated mine yesterday through Kies, it's on build no BLG8 and baseband version LH1. I can't see the Block mode and my RAM has 779mb. Where do i get a newer build? Had a look on XDA but can't see it anywhere.

Thanks

I got mine via Sammobile , updated using ODIN

Hi,

Thanks

since you are on BLG8 you will be able to get the OTA version and flash via odin. it will probably be included in the download on sammobile (linked above)
    scroll to OTA files, download the DLI2 file i guess. looks like the latest version. flash with odin.
    xda forums should have a link.
    ill go at my phone later and then post u instructions how to do it.
    downloading the files takes a while :(

its an unofficial update. kind of a preview of the upcoming version. should be good when released. at the minute even i cant see any bugs

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I got mine via Sammobile , updated using ODIN

Looks like there are a few builds of 4.1.1 available there too. Will they only work on a rooted phone or can they be applied like stock firmware simply through Odin?

Great, I might have a go at that now so.

Presumably if I set the correct CSC when doing the update that way, Kies will still recognise the phone so that when Samsung release the official JB fimrware it will update through Kies if it's different to the one on Sammobile?

Just seen I9300XXDLI2 has been leaked.

Quick question: I see on the XDA forums many users go on about wiping the phone before flashing a new firmware. I have only ever put stock official firmwares onto my phone through ODIN and also yesterday a leaked Jellybean firmware. Am I correct in thinking that there is no need for me to wipe my phone as I have never flashed a custom ROM?

Just seen I9300XXDLI2 has been leaked.

Quick question: I see on the XDA forums many users go on about wiping the phone before flashing a new firmware. I have only ever put stock official firmwares onto my phone through ODIN and also yesterday a leaked Jellybean firmware. Am I correct in thinking that there is no need for me to wipe my phone as I have never flashed a custom ROM?

You don't need to do that using ODIN , which is why most people go that route...

• Advertisement

Cheers. Might just stick with what I have until the official one comes out just incase anything goes wrong.

Just put JB on it, build XXDLI1 from the sammobile site.

Seems to work fine, but I want to set the CSC so that it will update through Kies from now on. When I try opening th eoption to select the CSC using the code on the dialler, I get a message saying "connection problem or invalid MMI code".

It worked yesterday when I wanted to select the BTU csc on 4.0.4 so that Kies would recognise it.

Any ideas for a way around this?

im guessing ask on xda forums mate if its important to you...
    besides that are you sure you have your imei code right?

the csc (probably) wont update on these updates either since theyre not official versions just leaked ones...

kies right now is 20 miles behind in terms of being up to date for you or anyone...

my guess is there is csc stuff you can download to do what you want anyway if its available. but it wont be until the official jellybean release - at the moment there is probably just one version (and maybe thats why code to get at csc wont work. my betting is thats why it takes the networks here so long to roll stuff out ota now that iv kinda looked into it, though i have no idea and maybe someone who knows more can answer you sometime in the next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

General question, what version of ODIN are you using?

A quick Google search returned version 3.07. Is this the latest or does it matter? Last time I used ODIN with the SGS 1 it was at version 1.6.

i used 3.0.4 to update to one of the latest versions of jellybean so 3.0.7 is probably the latest alright and any version after 3.0.4 i would guess will do just fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

i used 3.0.4 to update to one of the latest versions of jellybean so 3.0.7 is probably the latest alright and any version after 3.0.4 i would guess will do just fine
    Thanks, used 3.04 and it worked perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

The current version of the Omega SIII rom is based on XXDLI1 & works very well. Think there will be a new one tomorrow based off XXDLI2 but I'll probably wait a while again as it's a pita to be flashing a new version every day or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Well this is taking longer than expected to roll out,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I bit the bullet and just upgraded via ODIN to I9300XXDLI2 yesterday. It's nice and smooth, and have had no issues in 24 hours so far. The new notification centre layout is nice. I'll just flash the stable(er) release when it comes out but all happy so far.

chrislad wrote: »
    I bit the bullet and just upgraded via ODIN to I9300XXDLI2 yesterday. It's nice and smooth, and have had no issues in 24 hours so far. The new notification centre layout is nice. I'll just flash the stable(er) release when it comes out but all happy so far.

Same here. Seems to be a bit more stable than DLI1,which I had for 24 hours only. Looks like it is missing a few of the settings menus that dli1 had, though. And Google now still can't seem to open apps or control things like turning on/off blue tooth the way s voice can (although maybe it's not meant to do it)

I had S-Voice disabled anyway. Voice recognition has a long way to go still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Google now never had those options. they are s-voice only.
    And Google now still can't seem to open apps or control things like turning on/off blue tooth the way s voice can (although maybe it's not meant to do it)

yeah im guessing that its phone specific. not every phone would have bluetooth so it wont be part of google now probably. to be honest iv found s-voice as good if not better than google voice when trying them. either way both of them struggle to do much with my voice :D
    running Dl2 also. very smooth. no issues at all. i hafnt tried a keyboard besides stock and i know in the previous versions that was what was giving trouble, so if thats fixed its probably pretty much ready for release.
    although apparently the scheduled release will be the end of the month, so ill stick to updating via custom firmware methinks :D

Using SwiftKey on DL2 with no issues, and I see DL3 is out now so I may flash that tonight.

• Advertisement

my update from dlh9 to dl2 was flawless so ill probably update to the latest version.
    considering how fast they are releasing each version at the minute im guessing its just minor bugfixes each version...
    any increase in the available up from the 818Mb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Is this gonna be much better than the stock Os ?

threein99 wrote: »
    Meh not really noticeable tbh. By stock o2 you mean the normal one I assume as I got mine with o2 and other was unbranded.
    Settings menu changes a lot. Phone is More responsive. Includes Google now. Memory increases by 30mb or so also which is nice. That may increase further too ofc.
    We are only using unfinished versions. It's gonna be 3 or 4 weeks till it's out but it's very polished already tbh.
    Running d14 now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

threein99 wrote: »

Probably not a huge improvement, just general tweaks/increase in speed/slight aesthetic changes.

We need something to get excited about :P

Edit: As kenyard said :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Guys, Im new to the whole Android world after coming from the IOS phones. Ive jailbroken my fair share of iPhones but Id like to get more from my S3. Is there a place to start looking for a newbie?

or just browse around the xda forums.. thing abuot android is anything can be done with the phone... there is even a working version of ubuntu (linux) for it so it functions as a pc pretty much almost :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

I9300XXDLI5 leaked already, almost daily now, release within a week I'd say.

• Advertisement

I hope so, can't keep up with the leaks!

I'm on DLI2 still. Any reason to upgrade again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

I'm on DLI2 still. Any reason to upgrade again?

I'd wait if I were you, get the official release and set it up the way you like it.
    Sam are gonna get this out before the IP5 next week, steal some thunder from the Fruit.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Sam are gonna get this out before the IP5 next week
    Tipped to be October at the very earliest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

Nice, looks so good.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I have the latest leak on but i can't find the setting where i can put the phone on silent without vibration using the volume buttons. As it is it goes to silent with vibration. I'm sure i had to check some option before on ICS :/

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I have the latest leak on but i can't find the setting where i can put the phone on silent without vibration using the volume buttons. As it is it goes to silent with vibration. I'm sure i had to check some option before on ICS :/

If you long press the button on the right hand side as if you were turning off the phone the option is there. Dunno why it was changed from the volume control menu as was much handier there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Chet T16 wrote: »

If you long press the button on the right hand side as if you were turning off the phone the option is there. Dunno why it was changed from the volume control menu as was much handier there.

Awesome, thanks! Yeah thats not near as handy, my complete sound management used to involve 3 taps up or 3 taps down and now its far more complicated

DI6 is really really nice :)

unbelieveably smooth, theres little to no lag in pressing home button from applications (i have svoice disabled so may help there.
    apparently previous one had battery drain so waiting to see on that front as i only put it on last night but seemed to have normal overnight drop.
    still hafnt restored the ability to put phone on both silent or vibrate using just volume keys on side,
    nothing else major i have noticed. seems bugfree to me at the minute.
    still the usual 830Mb ram free now like the previous 6-7 updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

DI6 is really really nice :)

unbelieveably smooth, theres little to no lag in pressing home button from applications (i have svoice disabled so may help there.
    apparently previous one had battery drain so waiting to see on that front as i only put it on last night but seemed to have normal overnight drop.
    still hafnt restored the ability to put phone on both silent or vibrate using just volume keys on side,
    nothing else major i have noticed. seems bugfree to me at the minute.
    still the usual 830Mb ram free now like the previous 6-7 updates

Will I still be able to restore to my ICS back up if I install this ?

if you do it right you wont lose anything i reckon ;)
    install via the ota method and not the easier larger file via odin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement