Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone successfully unlocked a Nokia Lumia 800 on Meteor using their customer support

Options
  • 14-08-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Basically after 3 failed support telephone calls and the wrong procedure issued on all occasions I have failed to get a successful unlock code from Meteor on my Lumia 800. They are not disputing my entitlement to the code.

I have researched this a fair bit, and it seems to me the unlock method on Lumia is to enter a correct 8 digit numeric only code when a “foreign” sim is installed. Its that simple.

The old Nokia method using the pw then a 15 digit code DOES NOT work. Meteor support are not aware of this and tried 3 times to persuade me I was wrong. I eventually called into the local Meteor shop who rang the Nokia Sales and training representative and she confirmed the only way is the 8 digit numeric code method. The shop does not issue unlock codes so I was back to the pathetic support.

I am now in a cul de sac with their support and really frustrated. So as I opened the thread with:

Has anyone successfully unlocked a Nokia Lumia 800 on Meteor using their customer support?

Or am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 moc63

Had the same problems.To make a long story short, what worked for me was putting a zero at the start of the 8 digit numeric code.

Hope this works for you.
    moc63

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

My issue is I am not even getting an 8 digit code their support is giving me the old Symbian unlocking code and method. Serious issues with their level of training on Lumia. You were lucky to get a code.

One week on and this issue is now supposedly with Nokia. No definite date for getting an unlock code.
    Meteor need to invest in training and also need the newer unlock software to generate the 8 digit only Windows Phone codes required. Has been a pretty poor experience all round.

Eventually sorted after weeks of grief. Basically they updated their internal care2talk pdf mailshot Issue 79 (page 3) with the correct instructions plus are using the correct Nokia unlocking system that generates 8 numeric only unlock codes.

If a call centre rep says get the famous P + W keys ignore just get an 8 digit numeric only key when a foreign sim is inserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

I'm in the same situation as you were. What is the 8 digit code called? Meteor gave me the unlock code and the puk code and insisted I was wrong. What exactly did you do? And what is the 'care2talk pdf mailshot Issue 79' about? Thanks a million.

• Advertisement

A nightmare supposedly they sorted this with "training".

Anyway as I said its an 8 digit NUMERIC only code that is generated from the IMEI and the locked operator on the phone (Meteor).

They never put up any hassle giving it out it just it was always the wrong old nokia unlock procedure. It they give you a code that is not 8 characters long and contains the P and W characters they are wrong.

Attached that famous care to talk its an internal PDF they send to the centre staff.

I did get their in the end but it was stressful.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 22 galwaygem

Has anyone got the unlocking codes or do you have to go through meteor. I have a nokia lumia 800 with meteor but I need the codes. Anyone got them or are they different depending on the IMEI. Thanks

Different for every mobile easiest and cheapest to go through Meteor provided you meet the unlock requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

galwaygem wrote: »
    Has anyone got the unlocking codes or do you have to go through meteor. I have a nokia lumia 800 with meteor but I need the codes. Anyone got them or are they different depending on the IMEI. Thanks

Their unique for every handset. I got one from Meteor about 4 months back, put it in and it worked. Otherwise your looking at a hefty price by 3rd parties.

Do you remember the codes they gave you?? Thanks

• Advertisement

I have been quoted €65 to have it unlocked. What will meteor ask me for if I call them.

Do you remember the codes they gave you?? Thanks

No and as I said my code won't work on any other Lumia

I have been quoted €65 to have it unlocked. What will meteor ask me for if I call them.

Depends, bill pay customers don't pay anything.

PAYG customers need to spend 150 euro since the purchase to receive it

No and as I said my code won't work on any other Lumia
    Thanks anyway, I will call into meteor and see what they say.

Thanks anyway, I will call into meteor and see what they say.

Your better off just ringing customer care directly. They don't unlock phones in stores. They handed the code out to my mother over the phone.

Thanks for that, I will call customer care tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Aidenwyatt

To eligible for unlocking code, You must originally bought the handset from Meteor for more than 14 days ago.Since then have to use a minimum €130 top up.If its an Bill Pay phone, your account payments must be up-to-date. If you meet this criteria you can call to the customer care.........

Advertisement