Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting a stained ceiling,

• 14-08-2012 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi,
    we had a disaster when we had our flat roof replaced,
    cut a long story short, the new roof leaked and had to be recovered with a PVC membrane by a proper "roofing" company.
    The leaks only appeared earlier this year and caused the newly white ceiling to be stained in piss like coloured stain - not good. I am not getting the builders back to redo this as i have lost all faith in them and if I let them into my house again they would just make another mess (i.e. spill 5lts paint on floor, that kinda thing)

I'll paint it myself, i was told that the stains will keep appearing unless i use stain blocker, is this true, any advice is much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

If you have any white oil based undercoat paint lying around in your shed, that would do. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Hi Op,
    U can purchase an aersyol can of stain block in most DIY's stores. It the best way to sort out this stain in the long term because if you use any old old on your ceiling it may peel or bubble after a short period of time. Best of luck with it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Recently had a similar incident. En suite flooded and the front room ceiling was stained. Ran a dehumidifier for a week. Once the ceiling was dry we treated the stains with polycell mould killer, painted over with polycell damp seal and decorated with emulsion.

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/polycell_mould_killer.jsp

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/polycell_one_coat_damp_seal.jsp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

+1 for Oil / solvent based undercoat, followed by standard ceiling paint - have used it a couple of times, and never had a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

alproctor wrote: »
    +1 for Oil / solvent based undercoat, followed by standard ceiling paint - have used it a couple of times, and never had a problem.

+1 on the above. I usually take some white solvent based paint and add a small bit of black to it, makes it a light gray colour, works a treat...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Get yourself some BIN primer, it can be a bit expensive but it's the best thing you can get for the job.

ZIN_PR_BIN2_L.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Around 40 euro for a tin of BIN..but so worth it,for what it does.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

International stain block also works well on leak stains.

Advertisement