Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing the name on an account

Options
  • 14-08-2012 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

My boyfriend's father passed away in October and we have been paying the bills since then (obviously) and we have only now gotten around to changing the name on the bill. My boyfriend rang yesterday about a different matter and while he was on the phone asked about changing the name on the bill and was told that to change the bill into his name will cost €300 or sign up to direct debit. I don't understand the justification of this cost and we are most certainly not signing up to direct debit.

How does it cost €300 to change the name on a bill? What is involved in changing the name that justifies such a high cost?

I assume the €300 is some sort of security deposit considering you don't have to pay it if you sign up to direct debit so do we have a leg to stand on with regard to the fact that we've been paying the bill (the minute they come in the door, the same as when my boyfriend's dad was alive) for the last 10 months without any problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Pixiebean22,

The reason for this is that a new account would have to be created in your boyfriend's name - the name on his late father's account cannot be changed to that of your boyfriend.
    When setting up a new account with Electric Ireland, a €300 security deposit is automatically applied to it if the customer does not set up a direct debit. This is refunded as a credit to the bill after 14 months - approximately seven bills being cleared within the agreed terms.

Regards,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Does the fact that we have been paying the bill for the past 10 months without fail have any bearing on the 14 month period?

Hi again Pixiebean,

Unfortunately the account would be treated separately to any other account as it would not be linked with the old account in your boyfriend's late father's name.

However, it is possible for a customer to pay manually (electronically - via online banking or by debit card on our website) when on direct debit - e.g. in instalments before the bill is due, which would clear it partially, or even in full, before the direct debit is taken.

It would be important to allow three/four working days before the direct debit is due, in order to ensure there is not a cross-over.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

This system is a disgrace. I am the main account holder, and allowed my housemate to put her name on it as she never had a utility bill in her name previously. Now she is moving out, and I want her name off it. It's a simple 'select and delete'- the contact name, number, email and password are staying the exact same. I just want "my name" & "her name" to be changed to just "my name". I am not setting up a new account, re-entering my DD details or setting up again for e-bills. I simply want the secondary name removed. This should not be a difficult thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi mejulie805,

I regret if you have encountered any inconvenience having the account details changed.

Just as we require the permission of both individuals when adding a name to an account, so too do we require the permission of both named account holders when removing one name or the other.
    mejulie805 wrote:
    I simply want the secondary name removed. This should not be a difficult thing to do.

We do not differentiate between primary/main and secondary account holders; once there are two names on an account, both parties are treated equally and must both be consulted if one of the names is to be removed. This is in accordance with data protection guidelines and is something we have to strictly adhere to.

Are you still in touch with your housemate, or has she already moved out? There would be several straight-forward ways to have the account changed to show your name only; they would all involve making contact with your housemate (or she making contact with us). If you like I can do this - it should only involve a quick telephone call.

If you PM me the account details we can take it from there.

Thanks,

David.

• Advertisement

Thanks David.

This would have saved hassle if your adviser on the customer care line was aware of this. That's great that it's that simple- I thought it would be- can a note be left on the account stating that this can be done so I don't call and get the same thing!

If so I'll PM my Acc Num- thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

No problem mejulie805, I can leave a note on the account to that effect.

Btw, you don't need to call again - I could look after this via boards, if you have the contact number of your housemate.

Hi David- can you help me with the above so? I called again to give readings for the old tenants last bill and all she said (again) is that she would have to set me up on a new account.

Hi Mejulie805,

David is not in today and will be back next Monday. Do private message me the Electric Ireland account details in question as follows:

- The account number
    - Your name/address in full as they appear on your account
    - Either the contact telephone number on your account OR your date of birth

Regards,
    Una

Any luck here? Ive just been told for the third time from the call centre that this cant be done, and a new account has to be set up. If I do have to go through the whole 'setting up a new account' I would be looking to switch my discounts around. Can you let me know?

• Advertisement

Hi Julie,

I have indeed already escalated this query for you and it is currently being looked at. I will advise you asap by private message.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement