Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV 3 Documentaries are they just tabloid and scare mongering documentaries

• 14-08-2012 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just watch (another) TV3 documentary "Ireland Worst Weather", on a side note I have watched their crime documentaries and their current affairs documentaries.
    This documentary decide that the "Big Snow" of Nov 2011, was the Worst we ever had, but I was able to ever day get down to the shop, very pleasantly to get bread and milk, and anything else we need (shops are 20 mins away), also they obviously quoted someone and he said maybe our temp would raise, after just before another climatologist stated that climate change, would mean stronger winds in this country, not higher tempatures

I'm afraid to say all of them are full of scare mongering, obviously quote out of context and repeating themselves after each commercial break, eg making the ordinary content of the documentry about 20 mins rather than 40 mins, Am I the only one that watch these ****e programs (if so how do they money) or are am I completely missing the point of them?

Please opinions and advice, thank you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Advice?
    Stop watching TV3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Advice?
    Stop watching TV!

Fixed that for you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

That show was on ten times before like everything else on 3e tv3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yes.
    Tv3 documentaries make me shake my head. But hey, if they werent pulling in the ratings we wouldnt have so many. So alot of people must swallow the crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    TV 3 Documentaries are they just tabloid and scare mongering documentaries
    The word your looking for is shyte, they're shyte documentary's. Ancient Aliens has more credibility than TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I hate the way the news tries to spread this negativity when a strange weather event happens.

It's always "old dears stuck inside with no power and cant get to the shop, economy suffering the loss of billions" instead of "everyone outside having great craic throwing snowballs, doing a bit of drifting on snow covered roads with no traffic / taking the boat out into the flood"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I watched the show just to see the footage of the weather because I like to see things like that. I tuned out the dialogue and just viewed the pretty pictures. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

TV3 is only good for their late night psychic show so I can ring in and spit out some Fresh Prince of bel air lyrics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Fixed that for you there.

I wish I could but I need to study what makes a bad Documentary, so I know what makes a good one (as well as what makes a good one), but they appear to be really, really bad (worse than the states) :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Yes they are, but isn't that the fun of it? It's trash TV. They are the ITV/SKY of Irish TV.

Enjoy it for what it is.

Let's be honest TV3 is based in Tallaght, says it all really.

It's Tallaght TV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Hi all,

I just watch (another) TV3 documentary "Ireland Worst Weather", on a side note I have watched their crime documentaries and their current affairs documentaries.
    This documentary decide that the "Big Snow" of Nov 2011, was the Worst we ever had, but I was able to ever day get down to the shop, very pleasantly to get bread and milk, and anything else we need (shops are 20 mins away), also they obviously quoted someone and he said maybe our temp would raise, after just before another climatologist stated that climate change, would mean stronger winds in this country, not higher tempatures

I'm afraid to say all of them are full of scare mongering, obviously quote out of context and repeating themselves after each commercial break, eg making the ordinary content of the documentry about 20 mins rather than 40 mins, Am I the only one that watch these ****e programs (if so how do they money) or are am I completely missing the point of them?

Please opinions and advice, thank you?
    No it wasn't, back in the 70's there were snow drifts 5' deep. In the 60s there was snow one year that lasted for 6 weeks. The snow in 2011 was only a blanket of snow. The trouble between now and back then is that everything is hyped up by the media now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Some of these TV3 documentaries are so bad, that they are good.

Case in point; "Irelands worst hen parties" or something to that effect. Absolute (unintended) comedy gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's the poor freak afflicted person 'docs'.

Here. Sums it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

It's not just tv3.
    If you were to believe some of the weather reports for tomorrow you'd think the country was gonna sink or something. It'll be a bit of wind and some heavy enough rain. Nothing mental. We don't get exciting weather in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Dean09 wrote: »
    It's not just tv3.
    If you were to believe some of the weather reports for tomorrow you'd think the country was gonna sink or something. It'll be a bit of wind and some heavy enough rain. Nothing mental. We don't get exciting weather in this country.
    Now you've just jinxed it, we're all going to die!

bluecode wrote: »
    Yes they are, but isn't that the fun of it? It's trash TV. They are the ITV/SKY of Irish TV.

Enjoy it for what it is.

Let's be honest TV3 is based in Tallaght, says it all really.

It's Tallaght TV.

Really Tallaght TV (you could be quoted on that :D, by the Mail or the Sun), I do realise TV3 and E3 entertainment value, sure me and my Mom, have great craic with the shops and reality TV shows, but when they state something is a "Documentary/News" example FYI (or "fact") you do begin to wonder if people believe the stuff they are being told, and is that half the problem we have in this recession

An example of what they would advertise "Foreign Taxi Drivers take the Mick" (c) 2012 Bluesmoke (I made that up but, I not giving them any ideas.

The program is based apon an undercover journalist, going overcover to find out how much more the foreign taxi driver get more than an Irish one, and guess what he finds out nothing, but the trailer implies (as Irish) we are being screwed over, as the documentary maker sits infront of a bank of TV monitors and suggests that a foreign person in that cab. Then says in a deep voice over

"Because we know and have the technolgy, tune in next week, where we prove that rat do turn into pigeons, and why both are the vermon of the earth, I saw my ant do it"

Really come on no one can actually believe that stuff is fact, it really does scare me that some do. :eek:

Can I sue them on grounds of mis informatation (and I'm not the brightest spark in the box either.)

Dean09 wrote: »
    It's not just tv3.

Ah HA, I use an norweign site called www, yr.no, it has accurately predicted the weather for when I have to film for a day by about 80%,(over 24 hour period) which is prity cool, makes me wonder though, what are we are really doing wrong here. **Pulls hair out in fustration Grrrr**.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Surely at this stage people know this and only watch for "entertainment" purposes? I mean if your tuning into TV3 for your facts then, well It might be time to check yourself into an exclusive "hotel" with rubber walls and free white jacket with extra long arms.

Surely at this stage people know this and only watch for "entertainment" purposes? I mean if your tuning into TV3 for your facts then, well It might be time to check yourself into an exclusive "hotel" with rubber walls and free white jacket with extra long arms.

That is what I wondering though, do people actually watch these program for pure entertainment, or do they believe it as fact, it would be prity scarey if the believed it as fact, but the title "Documentary/News" gives it a certain lineage towards being fact, rather than fiction.

Hence why I was wondering if I would have a case against them for misinformation.
    What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

That is what I wondering though, do people actually watch these program for pure entertainment, or do they believe it as fact, it would be prity scarey if the believed it as fact, but the title "Documentary/News" gives it a certain lineage towards being fact, rather than fiction.

Hence why I was wondering if I would have a case against them for misinformation.
    What do you think?
    Best example I have is a few years ago they had a documentary on football hooligans in the League of Ireland. It was beyond ridiculous, it was literally screenshots from little kids on bebo and one video from youtube that was played 4-5 times.
    Now anyone thats follows the League of Ireland knows that beyond the inevitable bit of verbals between 2-3 idiots at the end of the game, there is no trouble at LOI games, never mind organised violence.

To anyone, and theres a lot, of people that don't follow our national league then you'd wonder could anyone with half a brain honestly think that this was a problem? Its not worth mentioning in a conversation in a pub, never mind the focus of what was an hours "documentary"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

I'll give them one thing, they have guts. Because if I was behind the pile of ducks**te that was Tallafornia, Da Box! and that thing with the 4 plastic ones, I be hiding away for years.

Best example I have is a few years ago they had a documentary on football hooligans in the League of Ireland. It was beyond ridiculous, it was literally screenshots from little kids on bebo and one video from youtube that was played 4-5 times.
    Now anyone thats follows the League of Ireland knows that beyond the inevitable bit of verbals between 2-3 idiots at the end of the game, there is no trouble at LOI games, never mind organised violence.

To anyone, and theres a lot, of people that don't follow our national league then you'd wonder could anyone with half a brain honestly think that this was a problem? Its not worth mentioning in a conversation in a pub, never mind the focus of what was an hours "documentary"

Including add breaks (no problem with them) and repeating themselves, it probably lasted 20 mins, it's typical of what the do.

I what one about crime, and basically the advertised a services about how security, can yell at anyone coming offer the fences. (don't get me wrong I thought it was clever, but I didn't need to watch it for an hour, 10 mins of info repeated)

Another was about a exclusive on Rominia beggers, the Journalist made all sort of wild assumption, tried to proof them and failed miserably. Basically his 20 minute report was based of heresay, but it still got televised as fact over an hour.

That is what scares me, I know most of us don't believe it, but possibly some people do and they are damaging are country because of that I wonder if I can sue them for misinformation? Any know if I can?

Advertisement