Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't have reference from a previous landlord. How can I find a decent rent?

Options
  • 14-08-2012 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I arrived last week in Dublin and I'm having a hard time finding a decent rent. Everything that I've viewed untill now was dirty rent filled with dampness and God knows what else in there. Was looking at 700-750ish euros per month, as close to city center as possible, 1 bedroom, big enough to fit me and my father.
    If I go above 800-850, EVERY landlord/agent is asking for reference from previous landlord.
    We also don't have a job, we can't get jobs untill we have bank account and PPS(both require an adress).
    We almost wasted 1 month of rent on hotels since we arrived here and we are a bit dissapointed by the conditions of the rents(even in my country, Romania, the rents are way better)
    If anyone is willing to help me out with a couple of tips, I would be grateful.
    (max budget is around 950 per month, we both have to take minimum wage jobs, that's until my father learns a little more english and he will be able to take a job in his domain)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Unfortunately city centre prices are high, and demand is about to go crazy with university offers being out next week, thousands of new students will descend on Dublin looking for accommodation.

It's a bit of a catch 22 for you - think about it, if you were the owner of an apartment and a prospective tenant arrives with no reference and no job, how would that give the owner confidence that the rent will be paid. Jobs, even minimum wage jobs, are not so easy to find.

I think you will need to consider moving outside the city centre, why do you want to live close? I live in Blanchardstown and 1 bedroom apartments in this development are renting for close to your original budget, bright, clean and less than 10 years old. About 45 mins on the bus to the city centre.

In the meantime consider alternative accommodation to hotels, the universities rent out student accommodation during the summer and that tends to be cheaper than hotels if you don't want to consider hostels.

Advertisement