Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do Kids make us miserable

• 15-08-2012 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

People in Ireland need to cheer up a bit.

Forget how good we had it in the last 10 years get back to reality and spend money like you can afford. In the 80s/ early 90s we'd have a bath when the immersion was on, each one after the other. And kids would share.

The kids in the 80s/90s would eat what was on offer and not demand and control what was put on the table. If your kids are controlling what you put on the table, you have yourself to blame!

All you need is a healthy diet, a bit of warmth and clothes for you and the kids. Everyone should get back to basics.

Some people do get a hard deal in society, however a lot of people harp on about being broke.

I think if you try keep you and your kids "Up with The Jones'" it is not possible. But You should be able to keep them up with being healthy, clothed and happy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Common sense forum>>>>>>>>>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Ok well thanks for that little pearl of wisdom. Looking forward already to tomorrows parenting tips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Oh great...another leaving cert thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I don't have any, but yes, I imagine kids do make you miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Children have become too precious altogether. You'd be almost looked down upon for not spending 500e on a child seat because some study says its the best one on the market.

I'm sure there are still parents around today who let their children go out and enjoy themselves, get a few scrapes and not be overly worried about safety / political correctness but I'd say its hard these days with the overcautious drysh1tes around the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

At least they're not making you horny :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Kids are hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Well at least you can have them I can't! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Go to IKEA on a Sunday. That is proof that kids make you miserable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dchris wrote: »
    People in Ireland need to cheer up a bit.

Forget how good we had it in the last 10 years get back to reality and spend money like you can afford. In the 80s/ early 90s we'd have a bath when the immersion was on, each one after the other. And kids would share.

The kids in the 80s/90s would eat what was on offer and not demand and control what was put on the table. If your kids are controlling what you put on the table, you have yourself to blame!

All you need is a healthy diet, a bit of warmth and clothes for you and the kids. Everyone should get back to basics.

Some people do get a hard deal in society, however a lot of people harp on about being broke.

I think if you try keep you and your kids "Up with The Jones'" it is not possible. But You should be able to keep them up with being healthy, clothed and happy
    Won't someone think of the children! Thankfully we didn't have any baby goats at home!

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »

Surrogate mother or adoption, Redzer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

If I have any you can have them:)
    They won't be 100% Irish though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I'm never having kids. I don't contain the belief that my genes are so superior that they must survive.

If I ever decided I'd make a good enough parent I'd adopt, there's plenty of kids here already that no one gives a sh*t about, we don't need to make more.

Surrogate mother or adoption, Redzer!

Haha like fuck do I want them! :p I've been out having a on few beers and I felt like taking the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Sometimes they do & they can hurt you more than you can know.

Part & parcel of being a parent.

On the other hand, the rewards are there.

Big time.

Haha like fuck do I want them! :p I've been out having a on few beers and I felt like taking the piss

What alcohol-fuelled, angst-filled thread will you entertain us with tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

I don't have kids. But I see from my sister's kids they are held to ransom somewhat by their kids. Perhaps because of other kid's. Parents seem to be killing themselves to get to get their kid the same as the next, STILL! In this economical environment.

Even though I don't have kids, I don't think it is a good lesson to ive a kid everything he or she wants. And also, teaching a kid to be frugal and tighten their belt is a much better life lesson.

Trying to bring up a kid now is hard, but getting in debt to Xmas presents was never what we did, was it? I was born in 84, and I was lucky, from my memory. But was never spoilt.

I was clean, turned out well, and had lots of toys. But nowadays, kids have no concept of money. I had a job at 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

eth0 wrote: »
    Children have become too precious altogether. You'd be almost looked down upon for not spending 500e on a child seat because some study says its the best one on the market.

I've worked in a place with a nursery department. Cheap car seats are not safe. Spend the ****ing money on a proper one.

I'm sure most people know that the basics, like heating and clothes, are important. I'm almost positive that most parents are getting those things right already. I would like to see the OP explain to a bunch of kids that they should calm down and have some sense though. I would love to look in on that powerpoint presentation.

I don't have kids but I don't think that teaching children to be happy and content with the most basic existence possible is the best way forward for people in the first world, unless you don't see much of a future for your kid.

Children are horrible eaters. They have always and will always disagree with what is on the table. (Rose tinted glasses?). I don't see the point of what's being said there.
    Teaching a child to be happy with used bathwater is not a progressive notion, and not something that will serve a child having grown up. If it's a necessity then grand. I didn't live the life of luxury growing up, I just don't think the right message is being sold in the OP. I'm rubbed up wrong by the sentiment on show.

I was born in 84
    1984?:eek: I thought from you OP that it was 1934. I was out at work when you were born (and my parents said my generation was spoilt!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Ok well thanks for that little pearl of wisdom. Looking forward already to tomorrows parenting tips
    First tip for a hairy princess: shave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

children are brilliant, the ten months since my son was born have been the best of my life

Shryke wrote: »
    I've worked in a place with a nursery department. Cheap car seats are not safe. Spend the ****ing money on a proper one.

I'm sure most people know that the basics, like heating and clothes, are important. I'm almost positive that most parents are getting those things right already. I would like to see the OP explain to a bunch of kids that they should calm down and have some sense though. I would love to look in on that powerpoint presentation.

I don't have kids but I don't think that teaching children to be happy and content with the most basic existence possible is the best way forward for people in the first world, unless you don't see much of a future for your kid.

Children are horrible eaters. They have always and will always disagree with what is on the table. (Rose tinted glasses?). I don't see the point of what's being said there.
    Teaching a child to be happy with used bathwater is not a progressive notion, and not something that will serve a child having grown up. If it's a necessity then grand. I didn't live the life of luxury growing up, I just don't think the right message is being sold in the OP. I'm rubbed up wrong by the sentiment on show.

Sounds like you're one of them. Child seats are only unsafe if you crash the car. Wouldnt be too worried about things like that. Could happen but i just wouldnt worry about it. You get nothing done if you worry, youd be 500 out of pocket for a child seat, could have been spent enjoying yourself, invested or gone into starting a business. Life is too short anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

children are brilliant, the ten months since my son was born have been the best of my life
    Wait til he grows up and starts wanting everything and anything.

Yep. when you have your first, it's a magical time alright.

The lack of freedom thing is a pain at that stage though.

Leaving the house involves logistics that you never thought of before.:D

Thanks for replying. My sentiment was just that and didn't mean to offend. I hope you didn't take it that way

I do think that when I was growing up, sharing bath water gave me an awareness of being economical and was also a good bonding exercise with my siblings.

I agree , children are bad eaters. Now a days so so bad. Most kids won't eat something that isn't in bread crumbs and deep fried or over cooked. When I was growing , that food didn't exist, so I tried meat, veg, spuds, etc.. Nowadays I incorporate even a more varied diet into my every day that were not readily available when I was a kid. I a healthy now.

I just don't think a lot of kids nowadays actually eat healthy for their age? Am I wrong? I think kids have too much power in decision making

I think the kid is now the controller.

And! I am not saying kids should "Calm Down" I am saying a better approach should exist

Sounds like you're one of them. Child seats are only unsafe if you crash the car. Wouldnt be too worried about things like that. Could happen but i just wouldnt worry about it. You get nothing done if you worry, youd be 500 out of pocket for a child seat, could have been spent enjoying yourself, invested or gone into starting a business. Life is too short anyway

One of who exactly? I face palmed right there. A person should have spent money enjoying themselves instead of on their childs safety? Do you drive, and if you do, do you drive around without a seatbelt? You're doing the equivelant with a child if you've bought the cheapest child seat. Car seats are sold with safety in mind in case there is a crash.

youd be 500 out of pocket for a child seat, could have been spent enjoying yourself
    You sound like one of those people who complain about the cost of health insurance and how they haven't needed it. To me that's a bit like having home insurance and complaining that your house has never gone on fire! I'd be delighted to spend €500 on a child seat and never have an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bleepp

Ah now who couldn't love kids!

One of who exactly? I face palmed right there. A person should have spent money enjoying themselves instead of on their childs safety? Do you drive, and if you do, do you drive around without a seatbelt? You're doing the equivelant with a child if you've bought the cheapest child seat. Car seats are sold with safety in mind in case there is a crash.

Yep and the cheap seats make use of the seat belt as well. Better than nothing, children more likely to survive a crash anyway.

• Advertisement

What alcohol-fuelled, angst-filled thread will you entertain us with tonight?

Wow funny you should say that, I actually got told something that kind of hit home a bit just now. Not sure if I'll make a thread of it though.

Thanks for replying. My sentiment was just that and didn't mean to offend. I hope you didn't take it that way

I do think that when I was growing up, sharing bath water gave me an awareness of being economical and was also a good bonding exercise with my siblings.

I agree , children are bad eaters. Now a days so so bad. Most kids won't eat something that isn't in bread crumbs and deep fried or over cooked. When I was growing , that food didn't exist, so I tried meat, veg, spuds, etc.. Nowadays I incorporate even a more varied diet into my every day that were not readily available when I was a kid. I a healthy now.

I just don't think a lot of kids nowadays actually eat healthy for their age? Am I wrong? I think kids have too much power in decision making

I think the kid is now the controller.

And! I am not saying kids should "Calm Down" I am saying a better approach should exist

Well I don't disagree at all with you there. I wasn't offended at all. Hope you weren't. I think I give slightly edgy responses without meaning to sometimes. I do believe in putting your weight behind a child and building them up. I mean character wise rather than making them spoilt. Promising McDonalds to shut them up everytime you're out of the house isn't the way forward.
    It's a thankless job. I'm glad I don't have any kids yet although my friends with them are happy. I can see the upsides.

You sound like one of those people who complain about the cost of health insurance and how they haven't needed it. To me that's a bit like having home insurance and complaining that your house has never gone on fire! I'd be delighted to spend €500 on a child seat and never have an accident.

Some people value peace of mind more than others. I know someone who lives in a dingy mould infested apartment for security, would be afraid someone is going to break in. Wouldnt spend that kind of money unless i knew i was going to get use out of it.

Yep and the cheap seats make use of the seat belt as well. Better than nothing, children more likely to survive a crash anyway.

Terrible attitude to have. Really pathetic. I've seen drunkard wastrel tramps shell out for the right car seat. You're trolling and if you're not I hope you don't have kids. On the other hand if you do you will change your tune.
    Wow funny you should say that, I actually got told something that kind of hit home a bit just now. Not sure if I'll make a thread of it though.

Ah go on. It's all anonymous anyway.

Redzer, I insist that you do!

Not sure if your'e a Troll, but I grew up in the '70s.

I often travelled in the front seat, without a seatbelt!!!!!!!!!1:eek:

Every adult smoked around me!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

We were allowed out in daylight Hours to wander as we pleased, without sunscreen!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Sometimes, we were even allowed to get dirty!!!!!!!!!!!!1:eek:

I see it now that some parents base EVERYTHING around their precious offspring.

They're only making a rod for their own back.

As long as you keep a good eye on your kids, keep them fed, clothed & give them a good self esteem, it should work out okay.

The rest is just............well bull****.

• Advertisement

Terrible attitude to have. Really pathetic. I've seen drunkard wastrel tramps shell out for the right car seat. You're trolling and if you're not I hope you don't have kids. On the other hand if you do you will change your tune.

Ah go on. It's all anonymous anyway.

Dont have kids, have seen people become completely infatuated with them. Not my kind of thing at all but then people keep telling me i'll change my mind.

Not trolling but you can spend all your earnings on different types of insurances and safety gadgets and monitored alarms for your house but id rather get something i'd make good use of. Cant live in fear of bad things that might happen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Got three, 31, 22 and 12. Yes it's hard work with them all, even the grown ups'. Proud off them all and my privilege to be their Dad.:)

As I've already said eth0, not having a good car seat is as bad as not wearing a seat belt for yourself. If you are happy taking a risk like that with a helpless infant then God help the child you beget. I'm not talking about some kind of weird new technology. Driving is dangerous and crashes happen all the time. You can be the most responsible person in the world and it won't stop an accident happening to you.

As I've already said eth0, not having a good car seat is as bad as not wearing a seat belt for yourself. If you are happy taking a risk like that with a helpless infant then God help the child you beget. I'm not talking about some kind of weird new technology. Driving is dangerous and crashes happen all the time. You can be the most responsible person in the world and it won't stop an accident happening to you.

I just wouldnt believe theyd sell something thats completely useless. the absolute cheapest might not be up to much but a cheap enough one from argos would do the job. Unless the 500e seat manufacturers have been commissioning 'sponsored' studies

Aren't you great. Such a cutie pie.. Look. You got acknowledged! Didn't you do well!

• Advertisement

Aren't you great. Such a cutie pie.. Look. You got acknowledged! Didn't you do well!

Have another one

I'm sure there are still parents around today who let their children go out and enjoy themselves, get a few scrapes and not be overly worried about safety / political correctness but I'd say its hard these days with the overcautious drysh1tes around the place

Well in fairness, I never suggested there should be a lack in safety measures when it comes to a child's seating in a car. I do not have kids, but insist on when I do drive my nieces and nephews around that they should be appropriately seated. My siblings would also demand nothing less

Redzer, I insist that you do!

Nah I'm sobering up nicely and I'll keep to to myself. Being drunk makes it way more fun and I've run out, afaik.

But I'm an unpredictable fucker so you never know ;):p

1984?:eek: I thought from you OP that it was 1934. I was out at work when you were born (and my parents said my generation was spoilt!)

I doubt it somehow! But thanks

Well in fairness, I never suggested there should be a lack in safety measures when it comes to a child's seating in a car. I do not have kids, but insist on when I do drive my nieces and nephews around that they should be appropriately seated. My siblings would also demand nothing less
    Hope they are supplying the overpriced seats themselves then

I just wouldnt believe theyd sell something thats completely useless. the absolute cheapest might not be up to much but a cheap enough one from argos would do the job. Unless the 500e seat manufacturers have been commissioning 'sponsored' studies

They don't go straight from 60 euro to 500 euro so you can drop that crap. The cheapest that are on sale, and I know this personally, are not worth a damn. Anyone who would like to buy one would be recommended against it. It didn't always stop someone from taking one but the staff always did their very best not to allow it knowing that they they were cheap pieces of crap that wouldn't save a child if the worst happened.
    Proper car seats are worth the money for being designed to be safe. There is a reason they cost money. It isn't some con.

bleepp wrote: »

Ah now who couldn't love kids!

My nephew loves this video. When he stays over we watch some videos on youtube, he cracks up watching this. He is only 2 and a half. It's either this or top ten funny babies , he just loves it. Then I play a video called Snowflake and he settles in to go asleep. Such a great little guy, I love him

Hope they are supplying the overpriced seats themselves then

My sisters all have seats fitted to their cars. They are also transferable to other cars should the need arise. What is your problem?

Probably comes out of the same factory in China as the rest of them and made with the same material. Not a bit convinced at all, the structure of them doesnt seem like it would just give way in a crash

My sisters all have seats fitted to their cars. They are also transferable to other cars should the need arise. What is your problem?

Id just hate to think youd be out of pocket over keeping up with the joneses ultra safe child seat codology

• Advertisement
Advertisement