Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13 MOD POST #232

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I think he's an intelligent person, he always comes across as such in interviews. Since he's got a brain in his head I'm certain he'll improve as a player and as was said, we'd find it hard to replace him (not just as a player but in terms of club image and morale) for 21m (wages included). He's also got a good image and is very marketable, and its a vote of confidence in the club from another young english star. I'm very happy he's signed up and now i can hope that Arsene splashes some cash on making the squad stronger. The way the league is going this year if we were consistent we can push on into third. With a couple of quality signings and a bit of confidence we can give bayern a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

wonga77 wrote: »
    Johan Djourou starts for Hannover against Schalke tonight. Interesting to see how he gets on

They shipped 5 goals in the game, losing 5 - 4. Only 1/2 watched it so hard to judge if he was at fault or what, but safe to assume he is poor. Holtby played well, 2 assists and a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

jordainius wrote: »
    Another way of looking at it, 100k a week over 3.5 years comes to £18.2M, signing on fee rumoured to be £3M, so a total outlay of about £21M. If he left for nothing in the summer, we'd probably spend a lot more on a replacement in terms of wages + transfer fee, so economically speaking this is a good investment.

Ye but we would get a much better player for that money so I don't agree it's a good investment he is not worth anywhere near 100k a week and wasn't bothered if he stayed or went!!! would never have come back and hurt us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

@optahjoe 31% - Theo Walcott has the best chance conversion rate of any player in the 2012-13 PL with more than 5 goals (excluding penalties). Signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

it would hurt the club in terms of it being another player who we put the work into to develop to a certain level who then says "thanks, i'm off!"

it was crucial to get him to sign. for what it represents

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Betis want to keep Campbell on loan again next season

Boooooooooooo to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Betis want to keep Campbell on loan again next season

Boooooooooooo to that

Depends on who we sign. We can't be relying on a youngster to take the weight in his first season. If we sign someone else (or what we have start banging them in) let him go again then ease him in the following year.

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Depends on who we sign. We can't be relying on a youngster to take the weight in his first season. If we sign someone else (or what we have start banging them in) let him go again then ease him in the following year.

Yeah in all serious if we sign a big name maybe he would be better off in Betis for another year

In other news reports in France say Newcastle have agreed 8m deal for Mbiwa

(Crosses another one of the list )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Jaysus your man on ESPN press pass just destroyed Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

How so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

How so?

It was Stewart Robson, he just said how we'd let players like Hleb, Fabregas, RVP go without breaking the bank for them and then when we did do it we chose "the least intelligent player out of all of them". then he says "i don't even know if the top 4 clubs (chelsea, united, city and liverpool) would pay 60k/70k a week for him on a free let alone 100k".

i've been critical of Walcott but this lad really took the biscuit.

It was Stewart Robson, he just said how we'd let players like Hleb, Fabregas, RVP go without breaking the bank for them and then when we did do it we chose "the least intelligent player out of all of them". then he says "i don't even know if the top 4 clubs (chelsea, united, city and liverpool) would pay 60k/70k a week for him on a free let alone 100k".

Sure sounds like he did alright Ive never been a big fan of ESPN's coverage.

Top 4 clubs and Liverpool in the same sentence now I havent heard that in a long long time :).

"Stewart Robson is perhaps the most bitter man in football, so bitter in fact that he was fired by Arsenal for being so biased against the club that was paying his wages that the fans complained in their hundreds (if not thousands), pleading with Arsenal to remove him (my words and reason, not theirs) so it really comes as no surprise that since his sacking he has got even more bitter."

http://www.arsenalnews.co.uk/robson-i-would-have-sacked-wenger-four-years-ago/link/665783/

He is incredibly biased against us for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Woah, that harsh. Pretty sure Fabregas didn't leave for the money as i doubt he is on more at Barcelona than what he was on here.
    Only RVP left for money, and we could never match the 200K + a week he is on at Utd.

Is it me or do a lot of ESPN's commentators just hate Arsenal. After listening to that Burley lad commentating against Swansea don't think i could take much more of their spout.

Take anything Robson says with a huge pinch of salt. He never says anything good about Arsenal and is absolutely desperate for Arsene to be fired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I didn't see the interview but based on your synopsis I'd completely agree with Robson. I'm sure the majority of fellow gunners will disagree but deep down you know Robsons right.

Walcott has pace and a nice finish of late. He really lacks the intellegence, strength, spacial awareness and technical ability of Fab, RvP, Hleb, Ade, Nasri etc

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

dvemail wrote: »
    Only RVP left for money, and we could never match the 200K + a week he is on at Utd.
    That's delusional, if we won or had a realistic chance of winning trophies he would have stayed. He did not move for money I doubt even Wenger would say as much. He could have got more at City if he wanted it. Hes a world class player on his last contract why would he stay with us in all fairness. All things said and done it still rangles seeing him there.

I didn't see the interview but based on your synopsis I'd completely agree with Robson. I'm sure the majority of fellow gunners will disagree but deep down you know Robsons right.

Walcott has pace and a nice finish of late. He really lacks the intellegence, strength, spacial awareness and technical ability of Fab, RvP, Hleb, Ade, Nasri etc

Well i'd rather have Walcott than all but the first 2 on your list.

greendom wrote: »
    Well i'd rather have Walcott than all but the first 2 on your list.

Agreed Hleb while technically gifted frustrated the hell out of me at times he really was afraid to shoot could be five yards from goal and he would pass backwards look how well his career has gone since he left Arsenal, Nasri has always been over rated had one good 6 months for us compare his goals scored and assists record to Theo's, Ade once again ask any fan of the clubs hes played for since he left Arsenal what they think of him and his performances.

• Advertisement

Only RVP and Fabregas were worth big money contracts out of those. And both were already on big money, and had no interest in staying for more.

The others probably would, they strike me as mercenaries. I'm happy they left none of them are top class players , were all easily enough replaced and werent worth that money.

Walcott is somewhere in between but I think selling him would effectively make the club a bigger laughing stock than it already is. He will improve, we need quality signings to help take pressure of him and Giroud.

12 days left no transfer links. 2 quality signings needed for me, I cant see where they are coming from.

DB10 wrote: »
    That's delusional, if we won or had a realistic chance of winning trophies he would have stayed. He did not move for money I doubt even Wenger would say as much. He could have got more at City if he wanted it. Hes a world class player on his last contract why would he stay with us in all fairness. All things said and done it still rangles seeing him there.
    We could have won the Champions League and he'd still have left. He wanted the money that United were willing to offer. Simple as. Hardly a coincidance that he got such a huge pay rise at his new club.

We could have won the Champions League and he'd still have left. He wanted the money that United were willing to offer. Simple as. Hardly a coincidance that he got such a huge pay rise at his new club.
    If we won the Champions League last May there was no chance he would have moved to United. They are a level above us and have been for most of the last decade, they win major trophies on a regular basis, we do not. That is the bottom line if we're honest with ourselves.

We are not one of the big guns anymore. We are on the Spurs, Liverpool, Everton level. Clubs like this lose their players to the likes of Barca, Real , City, Chelsea and United. City would have paid more to him, and were league champions he still wasnt interested.

I think he would have loved to finish his days here winning trophies but like many before could see we were not on that level and made the correct decision for himself and his career.

Thats the rational view of it. Its hard not to hate him seeing him this season though, he fits in well there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I wouldn't pay any attention to Robson at all. It's hardly breaking the bloody bank either when we've got other players on similar contracts at the club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I've had to mute our games on ESPN in the past, his bias against us is ridiculous, makes some of our games unwatchable with him commentating.

Seriously? Every team in the top half of the league would take him for 60/70k, ridiculous to think otherwise. City/Chelsea/Liverpool don't have wingers. Hes better than Lennon, United would take him for impact sub/Nani replacement.

And please tell me people don't still think Nasri's good? Half a good season for us and nothing since.

• Advertisement

If we won the Champions League last May there was no chance he would have moved to United. They are a level above us and have been for most of the last decade, they win major trophies on a regular basis, we do not. That is the bottom line if we're honest with ourselves.

We are not one of the big guns anymore. We are on the Spurs, Liverpool, Everton level. Clubs like this lose their players to the likes of Barca, Real , City, Chelsea and United. City would have paid more to him, and were league champions he still wasnt interested.

I think he would have loved to finish his days here winning trophies but like many before could see we were not on that level and made the correct decision for himself and his career.

Thats the rational view of it. Its hard not to hate him seeing him this season though, he fits in well there.

If Newcastle offered him £200,000 a week whereas everyone else was only offering £100,000 per week, he'd be a Newcastle player now despite it being a step down. The fact that United win things is secondary to the money he was offered.

If Newcastle offered him £200,000 a week whereas everyone else was only offering £100,000 per week, he'd be a Newcastle player now despite it being a step down. The fact that United win things is secondary to the money he was offered.

TBF, it was widely reported that City offered more money to RVP. He wanted trophies as well as cash...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Anyone who thinks players are leaving Arsenal just because of money is insane

Money is just an easy excuse. Most left for trophies, or for an opportunity at a tier 1 club (Hleb, Song). I wouldnt even say Flamini left for money, AC Milan are a bigger club than us and hes half Italian. For run of the mill players like those they had to take their chances when a big offer came in.

Adebayor strikes me as the only one who left for monetary gain. And even then its questionable. Newcastle offering RVP 200K would not have even tempted him for one second IMO. Doesnt strike me as that type of man.

Money is just an easy excuse. Most left for trophies, or for an opportunity at a tier 1 club (Hleb, Song). I wouldnt even say Flamini left for money, AC Milan are a bigger club than us and hes half Italian. For run of the mill players like those they had to take their chances when a big offer came in.

Adebayor strikes me as the only one who left for monetary gain. And even then its questionable. Newcastle offering RVP 200K would not have even tempted him for one second IMO. Doesnt strike me as that type of man.

Hleb left when we were still considered title challengers and one the top teams ;), Song well from what Ive read was basically told he was getting sold ;), when Flamini left after we had just lost a Champions League Final we are one of the top clubs in Eurpope were just not performing that way lately lets not discount our history as a club because of the current situation Arsenal are one of the biggest clubs in the world.

As for RVP of coarse he left for money as soon he released that statement he was basically whoring himself around on purpose by sounding out publicly that statement basically making his position at the club unattainable. He was just left with the two Manchester clubs because neither of the Spanish giants had a need for him, Juventus havent got the spending power these days which left him with the two Manchester clubs both willing to pay him 200k plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

As much as I hate the ****er, and I really do, he moved as much to win trophies as for the money imo. And its grating that he's being proved right this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

cson wrote: »
    As much as I hate the ****er, and I really do, he moved as much to win trophies as for the money imo. And its grating that he's being proved right this season.

He moved to United where he's almost guaranteed at least one trophy every season. We hadn't won any in 7 when he left and he's 29 now, it was a no brainier really. We'll come good eventually, but it's a bit unfair to ask a player to sacrifice his career for our future success.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

We are being linked this morning with Florian Thauvin https://twitter.com/deadlinedaylive/status/292536853893107713

Not the signing we are all hoping for another one under the "promising" heading. Though if he turns out to be anything like Cabaye I'd be happy with that

Can't wait till Jack Wilshere walks up a lifts a throphy
    And we can forget about evey Cnut that left us.

no12 wrote: »
    We are being linked this morning with Florian Thauvin https://twitter.com/deadlinedaylive/status/292536853893107713

Not the signing we are all hoping for another one under the "promising" heading. Though if he turns out to be anything like Cabaye I'd be happy with that

Seen the links never heard if the player is he any good

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

No, I really don't.

Walcott would get what he's getting here at any of the other big clubs.
    He also lacks the aerial ability of Vermaelen and the shot-stopping ability of Chesney. So what?

At any rate, the key point here is that all of those lads forced moves out of the club... and it isn't like we didn't reward them with contracts. Adebayor got a big one the summer before he left, Cesc got a rise without an extension, as did Nasri.

Clockenders blog say the 30 million bud was to a German club and that goetze has a 30 million buyout clause.. So take from it what you want bud it would be an excellent signing for arsenal

12 days left no transfer links. 2 quality signings needed for me, I cant see where they are coming from.

Do we ever see where they're coming from?? Have a little faith

Clockenders blog say the 30 million bud was to a German club and that goetze has a 30 million buyout clause.. So take from it what you want bud it would be an excellent signing for arsenal

Surely if it's only £30m a ton of other clubs would have already bid for him? Would be an amazing signing but I'd be surprised if his buyout clause was that low and yet to be triggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

Seen the links never heard if the player is he any good

Don't know anything about him he's no Goetze that much I do know

• Advertisement

no12 wrote: »

Don't know anything about him he's no Goetze that much I do know

I'm not to bothered about names, as long as he is ready for the first team now, we will give him a chance anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I'm not to bothered about names, as long as he is ready for the first team now, we will give him a chance anyway

Well if the newcastle scouts are sniffing around him he probable is a goodin. They've been pretty good at finding talent the last few years.

Like you are saying if he can do a job for the team that's the main thing.

I do think we will sign one big player this window, but it'll probable be on the last day with minutes only to spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

People need to lay off the Walcott hate.

1: Young - 130k pw, Nani 90k pw, Nasri - 173k pw, Downing 70k pw, Milner - over 100K pw. (this is all just taken from google btw, can't vouch for it's exactitude). It's fiar to say based on that that Walcott is worth 100K pw. Maybe he doesn't deserve to be our highest earner but he'd make 100K is he went, for sure.

2: Of the ten games Walcott has started in the premiership this season, he's scored or assisted in 7 of them. that's a pretty good contribution.

3: This flat track bully stuff is rubbish. They said the same about Henry and Ronaldo and in a way they were right. If your main asset is speed, then playing against Paul McShane is a better prospect than playing Ashley Cole. It's fairly straightforward really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Stewart Robson should just be flat ignored by Arsenal fans. He's a bitter man with a bitter agenda. He has zero credibility as a pundit.

gosplan wrote: »
    People need to lay off the Walcott hate.

1: Young - 130k pw, Nani 90k pw, Nasri - 173k pw, Downing 70k pw, Milner - over 100K pw. (this is all just taken from google btw, can't vouch for it's exactitude). It's fiar to say based on that that Walcott is worth 100K pw. Maybe he doesn't deserve to be our highest earner but he'd make 100K is he went, for sure.

2: Of the ten games Walcott has started in the premiership this season, he's scored or assisted in 7 of them. that's a pretty good contribution.

3: This flat track bully stuff is rubbish. They said the same about Henry and Ronaldo and in a way they were right. If your main asset is speed, then playing against Paul McShane is a better prospect than playing Ashley Cole. It's fairly straightforward really.

Ye but the two players you named in part 3 had a lot of skill and great football brains. They didnt just kick and run which is what Walcott tries to do 95% of the time. And even If Ronaldo and Henry didnt have their speed they would still get more goals than theo because they have the brain... As what was said before Walcott is an Olympic sprinter who threw on a pair of boots.. But I still hope he does what he is paid 100k a week to do against Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Walcott was right to get what is best for him financially. However he has set himself up for alot of abuse if things dont go his way. The very first ball he doesnt control or shot that he skies 30 ft over the bar are going to lead to the inevitable taunts from some sections. I hope he has a good game tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Don't see that being true.

Mainly because Gotze just signed a new contract. So there would be no way Dortmund would be stupid enough to leave a buyout clause at only 30mill.

I still say its Lewandowski.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Walcott was right to get what is best for him financially. However he has set himself up for alot of abuse if things dont go his way. The very first ball he doesnt control or shot that he skies 30 ft over the bar are going to lead to the inevitable taunts from some sections. I hope he has a good game tomorrow

So do I but chances are if he plays well tomorrow and scores we won't see him do anything for the 4 games after that.. I hope I'm wrong but past experience has shown that's what will happen

If Walcott sees out his contract he will be able to have a testimonial, least he showed a bit of loyalty

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Chamakh 13/2 first goalscorer for West Ham, he's starting too. Easy money. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement