Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13 MOD POST #232

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Newcastle agree 6.7 million fee with Montpellier for mbiwa so I guess that's another target out the window... Starting to wonder who is left for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Has a 30 million bid be confirmed or is it just twitter talk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Has a 30 million bid be confirmed or is it just twitter talk?

Twitter talk so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Chamakh 13/2 first goalscorer for West Ham, he's starting too. Easy money. :pac:

Really hope he does well with West Ham. Feel kinda sorry for him the way things worked out at Arsenal for him. I think he will do well with them too

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jonny666 wrote: »
    Really hope he does well with West Ham. Feel kinda sorry for him the way things worked out at Arsenal for him. I think he will do well with them too

So do I actually, i think they'll play to his strengths more than we did and he will bag a few goals I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Juve chairman saying they turned down a 30m bid for Vidal
    Wonder was it us
    Prob not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Dont bother listening to any of the Arsenal transfer news. We wont be signing anyone.

Maybe a young fella or two but as for world class players................not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

wonga77 wrote: »
    Walcott was right to get what is best for him financially. However he has set himself up for alot of abuse if things dont go his way. The very first ball he doesnt control or shot that he skies 30 ft over the bar are going to lead to the inevitable taunts from some sections. I hope he has a good game tomorrow
    He hasn't set himself up for it, what should he done signed for 20 grand less so he could make a mistake or two? If he is booed it'll be down moronic supports. Say what you want about his wage but he'd have got more if he left.

I appreciate his loyalty and think his best years are ahead of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Remy begged Wenger to sign him,lets hope we don't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Van Persie left to win trophies, Arsenal could have offered him the same contract as Utd and he still wouldn't have stayed. Great piece in the blizzard about Arsenal where Fabregas said he just got sick of living through groundhog seasons where the club would play well for long periods but couldn't hack it when crunch time came. I imagine it was the same story for RVP, he was not going to win a league title with Arsenal .

• Advertisement

Barlett wrote: »
    Van Persie left to win trophies, Arsenal could have offered him the same contract as Utd and he still wouldn't have stayed. Great piece in the blizzard about Arsenal where Fabregas said he just got sick of living through groundhog seasons where the club would play well for long periods but couldn't hack it when crunch time came. I imagine it was the same story for RVP, he was not going to win a league title with Arsenal .

Haven't seen the interview but I would hazard a guess his words were taken out of context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And that was down to the lack of ambition by Wenger and the Board. They just won't spend the money even though they keep telling us they have it. The players know this and that's why they are leaving, more money and trophies elsewhere.

Things might start changing when the penny drops with those in charge. They have to start noticing the half-full stadium sooner or later even if they ignored the fact that the best players always leave. If we continue the way we are going will Jack be gone in 5 years too? Let's hope not.

We can only wait and hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

He was captain during some of these crunch times, as was Van P. They need to look closer to home sometimes when passing out blame.

Omeceron wrote: »
    He was captain during some of these crunch times, as was Van P. They need to look closer to home sometimes when passing out blame.

They obviously realised that they couldn't win games on their own and were not getting the assistance needed. No man or captain ever won things on his own. You need a team around you with guts and determination and they hadn't that.
    Nobody can deny the quality and desire of Fabregas or RVP but when they were not getting the help from the management and Board they obviously questioned why and could not see that changing in the future.

I find it rich that someone could question the desire of Fabregas who played through the pain barrier with a bad leg injury against none other than Barcelona.

Whats more those players obviously didn't see any ambition coming from above to buy the players needed to win things. Instead the desire and ambition was to make money for the shareholders. Just like now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

They obviously realised that they couldn't win games on their own and were not getting the assistance needed. No man or captain ever won things on his own. You need a team around you with guts and determination and they hadn't that.
    Nobody can deny the quality and desire of Fabregas or RVP but when they were not getting the help from the management and Board they obviously questioned why and could not see that changing in the future.

I find it rich that someone could question the desire of Fabregas who played through the pain barrier with a bad leg injury against none other than Barcelona.

Whats more those players obviously didn't see any ambition coming from above to buy the players needed to win things. Instead the desire and ambition was to make money for the shareholders. Just like now.

Im sorry im not buying the that team didnt win because of the board, at one stage we had Fabregas, RVP, Nasri, Gallas, Clichy, Toure etc all in the one team players who had either won or went onto to win trophies.

That was a team that should have been capable of winning trophies and didnt because the players let themselves, Arsene and the fans down with a lack of desire and drive its a bit rich blaming the board on that one.

They all forced there way out of the club for better money you can blame the board on that one yes but you cant blame them on the club not winning trophies when they were all on the books together, they all at one point or another went missing in games and as individuals failed to stand up and be counted.

Im sorry im not buying the that team didnt win because of the board, at one stage we had Fabregas, RVP, Nasri, Gallas, Clichy, Toure etc all in the one team players who had either won or went onto to win trophies.

That was a team that should have been capable of winning trophies and didnt because the players let themselves, Arsene and the fans down with a lack of desire and drive its a bit rich blaming the board on that one.

They all forced there way out of the club for better money you can blame the board on that one yes but you cant blame them on the club not winning trophies when they were all on the books together, they all at one point or another went missing in games and as individuals failed to stand up and be counted.

Yes we always seem to be a few players short of a league winning team and should have bought but failed to do so. Instead we waited for the young lads to come through but not enough came through at the same time unfortunately. We seem to be always one or two big players short, just like now.
    On your other point, who's job is it to motivate the team or to drop these players when they are not performing. Walcott has 18 touches in the whole game the other night and should have been replaced at half-time for lack of effort but he was not. It is not just the players who hid or lacked desire over the years.

Yes we always seem to be a few players short of a league winning team and should have bought but failed to do so. Instead we waited for the young lads to come through but not enough came through at the same time unfortunately. We seem to be always one or two big players short, just like now.
    On your other point, who's job is it to motivate the team or to drop these players when they are not performing. Walcott has 18 touches in the whole game the other night and should have been replaced at half-time for lack of effort but he was not. It is not just the players who hid or lacked desire over the years.

But we werent short when that team was together, im talking about a team that had Adebayor, Arshavin when he was good a young Wilshere who schooled an excellent Barcelona midfield, Sagna the best RB in the EPL , a very promising looking Ramsey, Walcott , Eduardo , Rosicky that was a very strong team. You blamed the board im saying you cant blame the board for that team not winning it was the players in that team you should be pointing the finger at, they are also the one who forced a move away from the club a really let Wenger down.

While im no fan of the current board they cant be blamed entirely on our trophy drought like you implied ;).

Yes Wenger can take a large chunk of the blame for that team not winning anything but the board cant ;), and moving onto our current team and Walcott being left on yes he should have been pulled off but this is a very different looking Arsenal than what we had in 2008 and a completely different topic really :).

But we werent short when that team was together, im talking about a team that had Adebayor, Arshavin when he was good a young Wilshere who schooled an excellent Barcelona midfield, Sagna the best RB in the EPL , a very promising looking Ramsey, Walcott , Eduardo , Rosicky that was a very strong team. You blamed the board im saying you cant blame the board for that team not winning it was the players in that team you should be pointing the finger at, they are also the one who forced a move away from the club a really let Wenger down.

While im no fan of the current board they cant be blamed entirely on our trophy drought like you implied ;).

Yes Wenger can take a large chunk of the blame for that team not winning anything but the board cant ;), and moving onto our current team and Walcott being left on yes he should have been pulled off but this is a very different looking Arsenal than what we had in 2008 and a completely different topic really :).

But that is just it.
    We have been nearly there several times but never quite made it. I believe with a bit more ambition and a bit more investment we could have won the title at least twice more. Part of the reason is the lack of depth and not having players to replace the likes of Fabregas or Eduardo when injured at crucial times in the season.
    If we don't buy in this window and just lose out on Top 4 this season it will be deja vous again.

But that is just it.
    We have been nearly there several times but never quite made it. I believe with a bit more ambition and a bit more investment we could have won the title at least twice more. Part of the reason is the lack of depth and not having players to replace the likes of Fabregas or Eduardo when injured at crucial times in the season.
    If we don't buy in this window and just lose out on Top 4 this season it will be deja vous again.

You can't just buy a ready made replacement for players like fabregas,ready to step in when injured,just isn't as simple as that.

But that is just it.

But I think at that time we did have the stength in depth within the squad and really should have won something. We had Eduardo, Bendter, RVP, Adebayoor who could all play up front, in CM we had Fabegas, Wilshere, Ramsey, Rosicky, Arshavin, Song, Nasri , Diaby who could all play in CM the more I look at it the more you have to think that team should really have won something.

Our current team your right though we do need to show ambition, spend money get some quality players in we have a small squad with not enough quality players in it. We still have twelve days so hopefully they get the finger out.

• Advertisement

You can't just buy a ready made replacement for players like fabregas,ready to step in when injured,just isn't as simple as that.

You can try to have players of that caliber. That is what teams should aspire to. We were lucky we had Fabregas to step in to replace Vieira when he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Don't think Adebayor was around when Wilshere was breaking in, could be wrong. Bendtner has always been crap, RVP was always injured as was Diaby and Rosicky. We have always been short on players as our injury record back then was woeful.
    If our first team stayed fit then we might have challenged for more trophies but i think our squad has always been short.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

I'm not questioning his desire but he, like all the players, have to accept some responsibility for the poor performances and lack of trophies.

Its a bit rich of him complaining about the team not being able to hack it at the crunch time when he was a part and leader of the team.

It's as bad as Denilson saying he is leaving because he is a winner or Bendtner because he thinks any top club would be lucky to have him.

Omeceron wrote: »
    I'm not questioning his desire but he, like all the players, have to accept some responsibility for the poor performances and lack of trophies.

Its a bit rich of him complaining about the team not being able to hack it at the crunch time when he was a part and leader of the team.

It's as bad as Denilson saying he is leaving because he is a winner or Bendtner because he thinks any top club would be lucky to have him.

He carried the team on many occasions in my opinion. He never lacked effort.
    When he left he won trophies too just like Clichy, Cole, Toure etc and now RVP will do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

He carried the team on many occasions in my opinion. He never lacked effort.
    When he left he won trophies too just like Clichy, Cole, Toure etc and now RVP will do the same.

My granny could win a trophy in that Barca side. These guys were key players for us, Cole and RVP will be the only ones to win a trophy and actually make a difference in their teams. Can't question their bottle, Nasri/Clichy/Adebayor/Fabregas etc. we can for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Despite the talent, Arsenal have won nothing for a while because of inconsistancy. That's the result of having a young, inexperienced and constantly changing squad.

Give it another year with the current group and things should be very different.

gosplan wrote: »
    Despite the talent, Arsenal have won nothing for a while because of inconsistancy. That's the result of having a young, inexperienced and constantly changing squad.

Give it another year with the current group and things should be very different.

I'm hoping for that too.
    We always seem to be waiting for something. Meanwhile Ferguson sees that Utd might be short a striker and goes out and buys the best :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Maybe, but I would say we will not be playing CL next season if the current season continues as hit and miss. Of course if we win the Cl this year then we will be playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'm hoping for that too.
    We always seem to be waiting for something. Meanwhile Ferguson sees that Utd might be short a striker and goes out and buys the best :mad:

Yeah but our situation has been very different for a long time so it's not really worth comparing.

What is important is that the rot has stopped in terms of players leaving. Any major changes to the squad over the next 2/3 years (bar perhaps Sagna if he goes) will be to improve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Yeah but our situation has been very different for a long time so it's not really worth comparing.

What is important is that the rot has stopped in terms of players leaving. Any major changes to the squad over the next 2/3 years (bar perhaps Sagna if he goes) will be to improve it.

such an important point. I believe with commercial deals in place the club has a healthy surplus to use on aquisitions. Provided we're not using this money to replace critical players we can hope that arsene spends it well on improving the squad and having a consistency of personnel- he has done so the past. Obviously we've got a squad containing a fair few stinkers in there at the moment but some of them were signed when we were needing less expensive options due to the need to finance the stadium (which was absolutely essential for the long term future of the club), and others like Arshavin are just there for the pay chque.

I do think though that since we've now secured Theo we need to make a statement of intent by producing a major signing either this window - unlikely i think - or the summertime.

I definitely think that the ultimate beneficiary of Wenger's tenure at the club will be the managers who follow him in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Supposedly Newcastles accepted bid for mbiwa has made us make a bid

We wanted him in summer but have to move now

Lets see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

THIS!

ALL those traitors left for money. instead of looking at themselves in the mirror saying "u know what, i ****ed up in game xyz, its my fault we did not win fa and i am not going to bail out on the fans and my boss, i am going to stay here and put everything right and win this club and the fans and try my best to win a trophy"

Instead this is them "another trophyless season, Hey look, club xyz are interested in me and prepared to triple my wages, time to jump ship hehe and earn some nice money, i will just make up some BS excuse on how i am looking for a new challenge/my current club lacks desire/im homesick and miss my pet dog at home in spain etc etc. cya Arsene, good luck on your quest for winning something lol"

that statement goes for rvp, adebayor, clichy, fabregas, hleb etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Fabregas was different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Fabregas was different.

yea he missed his pet dog from spain :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Can you blame them for leaving for double the wages and a higher chance of winning trophies though? Just think about it, of what possible benefit could it be to them if they'd stayed? Great players have great aspirations, and if the club doesn't match these aspirations, be it through the way they play, are managed or spend money, then they have the right to leave. Nasri was a good bit of business, we got £24M for him, Fabregas however I am annoyed at purely because we got bullied by Barcelona, he had 4 years left and was worth 40M at the least, we got 24+10 in add ons.

• Advertisement

The problem with the Fabregas deal was there was no other club to play off Barca. Cesc wanted to go home, there wasn't another club in the world he'd have signed for. Makes it difficult. 34million was well paid though in the end IMO. If there was a bidding war for him it might have ramped up the price.

Kind of sad thinking of what could have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

cesc and kolo traitors who left for money? bullsh!t i say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

sonic85 wrote: »
    cesc and kolo traitors who left for money? bullsh!t i say

Cesc pretty much went on strike to force the move through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

But Cesc was genetically programmed to go home. Like a young swallow migrating to a warmer climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Cesc pretty much went on strike to force the move through.

everybody knows theres little or no loyalty in football nowadays why would he stay? as far as im concerned fabregas was brilliant for us for a number of years but just wasnt happy at the club anymore. what do you do - keep a player who clearly wants out? and if you do force them to stay what then? you have a player on the books that has the potential of not trying a leg in games and possibly being a destructive influence in the dressing room.

fact is its the clubs responsibility to put a good team of players around the likes of cesc and give him the proper platform to try and win trophies. we didnt do it - couldnt match his ambitions so he left. i dont hold a grudge against him and hope he achieves everything he wants to in the game.

some people actually expect top players to remain with a club even if they dont pay top money and have no chance of winning anything. daft really.

the only thing i was pi$$ed with was that we got fcuk all for him but he was always going to go to barca so that limited the amount we could get for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

The most depressing thing is thinking about what might have been. Yes, we had Cesc, RVP, Clichy, Nasri, Adebayor, Hleb, etc, but I really believe that team was broken up waaaayyy before its peak.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't help thinking about that Birmingham game back when Eduardo broke his leg. I truly believe that had they not scored that late equaliser, we would have one the league. God knows what our team would have been like now.

As I say depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Juve chairman saying they turned down a 30m bid for Vidal
    Wonder was it us
    Prob not

and by turned down a bit you mean they had no offers :pac:
    Juventus director Giuseppe Marotta has insisted that the club have received "no offers" for Arturo Vidal.

It had recently been claimed that Pep Guardiola's new club Bayern Munich had shown an interest in the Chilean international and that they could even submit a bid during this month's transfer window.

However, Marotta has revealed that no bids have been submitted and that the club would not welcome any either.

"It's no surprise that Bayern want Vidal, but there have been no offers. We are, in any case, more accustomed to buying than selling," he told reporters.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/juventus/transfer-talk/news/no-offers-for-arturo-vidal_65009.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

danlen wrote: »
    The most depressing thing is thinking about what might have been. Yes, we had Cesc, RVP, Clichy, Nasri, Adebayor, Hleb, etc, but I really believe that team was broken up waaaayyy before its peak.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't help thinking about that Birmingham game back when Eduardo broke his leg. I truly believe that had they not scored that late equaliser, we would have one the league. God knows what our team would have been like now.

As I say depressing.

Yeah it was a great team, the one to succeed the invincibles, Wenger didn't expect them to break up after just one year, no one did and the team has been in transition ever since.

Here is what Fabregas said, it wasn't taken out of context either, he said it just after he signed for Barca “It wasn’t really the losing, it was the routine. Year after year, it was always the same story. Fighting until the end only to see we didn’t have the energy, in the semifinals, the finals, to arrive in the final sprint.”

Predictions for today lads?

Hard to see us getting a win. Hopeful of at least a point and a good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I am optimistic for a win, Chelsea have problems at home, the fans seem more concerned with having a go at Benitez than getting behind the team. I think we need to score first to win though.

If we can start strong, get a goal it's there for the taking

I'd like to see a line up of:

Chesney

Sagna Mert Verm Gibbs

Coq Diaby
    Jack

Theo Cazorla
    Giroud

I'd like to see a line up of:

Chesney

Sagna Mert Verm Gibbs

Coq Diaby
    Jack

Theo Cazorla
    Giroud

Id go with that except id swap Podolski for Giroud if I had the choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Id go with that except id swap Podolski for Giroud if I had the choice.

Podolski is struggling with an illness

Pmt,2 1 to the gooners,come on!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement