Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

zabala shotguns

• 15-08-2012 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Anyone have/heard of these? Was doing the proficiency the other day and they had these guns..i go 24/30 at the clays with it.but anyway whats the backround.
    Any help would be great thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

Anyone have/heard of these? Was doing the proficiency the other day and they had these guns..i go 24/30 at the clays with it.but anyway whats the backround.
    had one a sxs lovely gun shot great with it i broke the stock long story the thing gave me trouble but it was so nice i loved it anyway there spanish made in the lower end of the market but much better than yildiz and the likes worth the money id own another one no prob

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ClarkyTrd

Had a Zabala O/U as my first gun, great gun and regret selling it to a friend of mine.

Only problem I had with it was the bottom firing pin stuck every so often, replaced the spring and the gun is still going strong now.

I'd have no bother buying one again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Blackstairs Mountain Man

I have a Zabala sxs and would not part with it. It is a sound reliable gun that is light to carry does not recoil bad and in general is a good game shooting gun. The best money I ever spent was getting the gun fitted to me. The stock had to be cast because it was slightly cast for a left hander. Less than 100 euro and a recoil pad fitted and now it shoots exactly where I look.

DSCF2340.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

I have one too. I think the model is Beri-Lux. It's a S+S which is multi choked. Very versatile, That's why I bought it. It's too heavy for a pure game gun which for me makes it just right for a few clays / pigeons. The case hardened finish & fleur de lys patterns on the wood are lovely.

Word of warning though. If anything breaks, parts are IMPOSSIBLE to get. I'm currently having a replacement main spring made! because parts are not to be had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭beretta firearm

4200fps wrote: »
    I have one as well. A great gun to meet the eye. Mine has a pistol grip stock, Its a single trigger with a selector. Left barrel is extra full and right is half. I never

Look at the beauty in the timber http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/421384_447536988597402_1157318012_n.jpg
    Yet has to give any trouble. I found them hard to come across

O/u btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

O/u btw
    Did you mean: over and under by the way? Its a side by side lad

the 1 i tried was a o/u

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

i am the same as beretta firearm have been looking at the zabala s/s single trigger fixed choke for the wood cock are they big money new thanks lads

sorry for the high jacking of your thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wind and Wave

I had one of these a few years back I bought it from new. It was an NARGC special edition under and over, multi choke, with the Nargc emblem ingraved on it. I found it a good solid gun that I would have no problem recommending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It is meaningless to praise or criticize ‘Zabala’ without mentioning which Zabala maker, the year and model of the gun. There are three distinct Zabala gunmakers, (Ascencio Zabala, G. Zabala y Cia and Zabala Hermanos.) Over/unders are available from all three, as are SxS - I'd need to check if they all make sideplated or just boxlocks.

Quality ranges from very good (infrequent) to mediocre, as many were made for a mass-market price. As a general rule for Spanish guns, it is best to avoid the single selective trigger, numerous gun writers have written about this and the problems encountered.

It is meaningless to praise or criticize ‘Zabala’ without mentioning which Zabala maker, the year and model of the gun. There are three distinct Zabala gunmakers, (Ascencio Zabala, G. Zabala y Cia and Zabala Hermanos.) Over/unders are available from all three, as are SxS - I'd need to check if they all make sideplated or just boxlocks.

Quality ranges from very good (infrequent) to mediocre, as many were made for a mass-market price. As a general rule for Spanish guns, it is best to avoid the single selective trigger, numerous gun writers have written about this and the problems encountered.
    About the single selective trigger its the best thing i've ever used,much better than the double trigger and further more i never once had abit of trouble with my selector. Trapper John wanted 750 for the Zabala shotgun I bought of him. This is second hand. He claimed they were probably the best of the Spanish in s/s and hold their value very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Invincible

About the single selective trigger its the best thing i've ever used,much better than the double trigger and further more i never once had abit of trouble with my selector. Trapper John wanted 750 for the Zabala shotgun I bought of him. This is second hand. He claimed they were probably the best of the Spanish in s/s and hold their value very well

"The best you've ever used!
    Is this not your first gun?!
    He wanted 750,he has a reputation for being cheap lol

Invincible wrote: »
    As much as you know pete its my 2nd shotgun,1st was a remington repeater. i do spend good money on gear not like you :p. When was the last time you bought a gun of any dealer?? :) Your cartridges are antique. Trapper knows his stuff with side by sides.he has one for 2 grand second hand. He doesn't stock cheap side by sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Invincible

As much as you know pete its my 2nd shotgun,1st was a remington repeater. i do spend good money on gear not like you :p. When was the last time you bought a gun of any dealer?? :) Your cartridges are antique. Trapper knows his stuff with side by sides.he has one for 2 grand second hand. He doesn't stock cheap side by sides

We're talking about real guns,not the toy you had as a kid!
    Lol

We're talking about real guns,not the toy you had as a kid!
    Lol
    Exactly real guns. if you have a Zabala feel free to comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

now girls no scratching or pulling hair

anthonyos wrote: »
    now girls no scratching or pulling hair
    Yeah lads..hija king me thread

If you are happy with the gun good luck to you and enjoy it.

However, it is very clear that you lack even basic knowledge of Spanish guns and your posted advice should be heavily qualified. For starters, the ‘beauty in the timber’ in the stock you describe here http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/421384_447536988597402_1157318012_n.jpg is mediocre at best (to be kind) and the chequering on the pistol grip is poorly executed, uneven and not finely cut. Furthermore, it appears to be a boxlock with sideplates, pretending to be a sidelock, and could never, ever, be a ‘best’ gun – it is a dressed-up sxs boxlock, designed for the US market and probably found its way here as excess inventory. (The give-away is the pistol grip, semi beaver fore-end and single trigger.)

I have no idea who Trapper John is, but he and anyone else who says that
    ‘Zabala’ ‘ were probably the best of the Spanish in s/s and hold their value very well’
    :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes: is profoundly ignorant both of Spanish guns and the Spanish gun industry, and guilty of feeding you a line of total BS. Saying a modern Zabala is 'the best' is like saying a Lada is better than a Rolls Royce. Have you ever heard of the mass-produced AyA? For double the money of a €750 Zabala any buyer would get an AyA that is at least five times and probably ten times better. Even a cheap AyA Yeoman, half the price of a Zabala is a better gun. And I'm talking second-hand guns.

The best Spanish gunmaker is Arrizabalaga, followed by Grulla and then Garbi, Arietta, Kemen & Ugartechea (arguably in that order.) The price of a €750 Zabala would not even pay for a wood upgrade in any of the above.

As for single triggers, problems and Spanish guns, just go Google it.

Euro 750 for a gun is at the bottom of the scale, it will buy you a utilitarian lump that could be trotted across bogs without fear of a ding doing anything to its value. The more engineered it is, with single trigger, selector, etc, the more likely it is to go wrong.

To the OP I suggest you go to a decent gun dealer and buy yourself asecond-hand AyA or similar, forget Zabala.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

I changed from an old, neglected Lanber 12 bore to a second hand 20 bore Zabala o/u last year. I paid €400 for it, in excellent condition.

I'm far from a big user of shotguns, and this was just the ticket for me; simple and effective. Far from luxurious, the wood and the wood work would be far from your Beretta and Browning etc. standard, think more along the lines of a bog-standard Baikal. I really can't comment on it's reliability as it doesn't get a hell of a lot of use.

But in the heel of the hunt its a plain, functioning, tidy little shotgun and it does what it says on the tin, which is all I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Can you change the barrell from a 12 bore to a 20 bore using same stock in a Zabala.

Can you change the barrell from a 12 bore to a 20 bore using same stock in a Zabala.
    No, nor in any guns I know of. In the US you can buy chamber inserts that will allow you feed a 20g into a 12g but you have to disconnect the ejectors (if you have them) and the result is s#1t anyway. In ireland you would have legal issues if you did not have a 20g licence also.

Thought you could.Dont know which gun though.

Thought you could.Dont know which gun though.
    You probably are thinking of a 12/20 which a 12g built on a 20g frame. UK maker Charles Lancaster was a well-known producer, but they did not catch on in a big way.

How about Breda shotguns.

If you are happy with the gun good luck to you and enjoy it.

However, it is very clear that you lack even basic knowledge of Spanish guns and your posted advice should be heavily qualified. For starters, the ‘beauty in the timber’ in the stock you describe here http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/421384_447536988597402_1157318012_n.jpg is mediocre at best (to be kind) and the chequering on the pistol grip is poorly executed, uneven and not finely cut. Furthermore, it appears to be a boxlock with sideplates, pretending to be a sidelock, and could never, ever, be a ‘best’ gun – it is a dressed-up sxs boxlock, designed for the US market and probably found its way here as excess inventory. (The give-away is the pistol grip, semi beaver fore-end and single trigger.)

I have no idea who Trapper John is, but he and anyone else who says that :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes: is profoundly ignorant both of Spanish guns and the Spanish gun industry, and guilty of feeding you a line of total BS. Saying a modern Zabala is 'the best' is like saying a Lada is better than a Rolls Royce. Have you ever heard of the mass-produced AyA? For double the money of a €750 Zabala any buyer would get an AyA that is at least five times and probably ten times better. Even a cheap AyA Yeoman, half the price of a Zabala is a better gun. And I'm talking second-hand guns.

The best Spanish gunmaker is Arrizabalaga, followed by Grulla and then Garbi, Arietta, Kemen & Ugartechea (arguably in that order.) The price of a €750 Zabala would not even pay for a wood upgrade in any of the above.

As for single triggers, problems and Spanish guns, just go Google it.

Euro 750 for a gun is at the bottom of the scale, it will buy you a utilitarian lump that could be trotted across bogs without fear of a ding doing anything to its value. The more engineered it is, with single trigger, selector, etc, the more likely it is to go wrong.

To the OP I suggest you go to a decent gun dealer and buy yourself asecond-hand AyA or similar, forget Zabala.
    You love listening to yourself. show me what you have seeming as you go on like a professor. If you don't have 1 don't bother blowing ;) also about AYA what if i didn't like them? I didn't lift one to say if i like it or not and I did say Trapper John said zabala was ''PROBABLY'' the best of the Spanish as he highly recommended it as a good gun. I like it so no need to run a gun down you probably never lifted or fired. Your on about selectors I think you haven't a notion what your talking about. Go tell the rest of the guys their guns is mediocre at best (to be kind). That is profoundly ignorant as you would say!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I use a Zabala SxS 12 gauge as my 'do everything' shotgun.

It's a lovely good and very versatile due to the changeable chokes. It didn't cost an arm and a leg so I don't mind if it gets a scratch or a nick while I'm out shooting.

I would have no problem recommending one to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

ive a zabala 12gauge aswell,a good all rounder,have won a few county shoots with it in the side by side catagory and have also came third this year in the N.A.R.G.C All Ireland side by side competition:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Seanie31

Hi,

I bought one of them NARGC special edition guns too. I was thinking of selling it as I don’t use it much anymore. What do you think they are worth now.

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement