Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone here got experience in renting out rooms as live in landlord?

• 15-08-2012 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Am thinking of renting out the 2 small rooms, just wondering if anyone here has done the same?

Have a feeling it will be an experience but wondering if any of you lot have done the same? how did you find the campers and did you have to go hulk on them? :D

Also, to folk who rent, if you rent with owner / landlord, what's been your experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Make sure to install cameras.

For uh... security purposes (in the shower).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I used to rent out a room in my house in Dublin for years, mostly it was fine. People for the most part aren't too bad. I rented with a landlord in the same house (I had the top half of the house, she had the first floor and basement) here in Toronto for two years. She was okay at first but I soon realized that I couldn't stand her as she's an opinionated, talk-at-all-costs ignoramus. A fat pig too. Stupid bitch. Tramp. I hope she dies.

Go for it OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Your experience is purely going to depend on the type of tenants you get.

Try to find out a bit about the person, and what they do when they view the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I couldn't stand her as she's an opinionated, talk-at-all-costs ignoramus. A fat pig too. Stupid bitch. Tramp. I hope she dies.

Tell us how you really feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Like Baboon says, it's down to your own savvy. I know only one or two people that ever rented a room as opposed to a house with friends. They were pretty decent though. Quiet and hardworking. I don't think that scummy types are attracted to house shares with an owner involved, just watch out for weirdos I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Over 30 and working full time would be the major requirement.

Basically its not free money, you have to put up with their strange habits, coming back at 3am, maybe not being entirely comfortable in your own home, strange cooking smells, having friends over, overnight guests, maybe they are clean maybe not, waiting your turn to cook, bathroom occupied in the mornings, having to keep a bit of a distance as your the landlord, possible tension if the rent is late or bills are very big ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Formation wrote: »
    Over 30 and working full time would be the major requirement.

Basically its not free money, you have to put up with their strange habits, coming back at 3am, maybe not being entirely comfortable in your own home, strange cooking smells, having friends over, overnight guests, maybe they are clean maybe not, waiting your turn to cook, bathroom occupied in the mornings, having to keep a bit of a distance as your the landlord, possible tension if the rent is late or bills are very big ...

all the above^^ ive rented a from a few owner occupiers in the past.. uncomfortable being the only real description.. the only time it ever worked out great was when i rented a room from a good close friend... i reckon thats the only way it can properly work out for both landlord and tenant... close friends only!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Check this for being on the other side. Lot's of people don't seem to like the landlord/owner onsite :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056725678

FanadMan wrote: »
    Check this for being on the other side. Lot's of people don't seem to like the landlord/owner onsite :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056725678

What you mean to say is that a lot of people don't like the landlord showing up when he wants and letting himself in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

What you mean to say is that a lot of people don't like the landlord showing up when he wants and letting himself in.

Yup - been there, done that.....as a tennant. But been in other placces with landlord onsite and they were just one of the lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Tell us how you really feel.

I don't want to go overboard. The OP asked for an honest opinion on renting etc so I gave him one.

I hope that bitch dies alone, in pain, slowly.

Advertisement