Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the projected point increase per subject

• 15-08-2012 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

what kind of skew are we looking at for subjects such as commerce and economics in ucd? Is the point increase likely to be more than 5-10 points?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Expect 25 for everything, and be delighted if it doesn't go that far!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jackies green army

K_1 wrote: »
    Expect 25 for everything, and be delighted if it doesn't go that far!

****? you serious im bollixed then.

****? you serious im bollixed then.

Allowing for the extra maths points that is . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Anything with HL Maths as a prerequisite is almost guaranteed to go up by 25 points at minimum. Computer courses are in high demand so they'll likely see a minimum of 25 points if not higher.

Any other course that typically demands "high points" (Mostly courses that normally take over 500) will see an increase of around 25 points with the usual +/- 5/10 points that accompanies them every year.

Courses that don't usually demand high points and aren't associated with maths won't see a massive increase but i'd say the HL Maths bonus will make the general trend an increase (Not necessarily a big increase).

All of this is of course speculation. No one can accurately predict points increases without knowing the standard of the applicants.

yeah im reapplying didnt do HL maths did ordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Check out Irish Times on the net. Trends in results nationally are there already.

Economics in ucd was 440 last year so are people saying it will be 465 this year?

Economics in ucd was 440 last year so are people saying it will be 465 this year?

It COULD be, more easily than it could have been without the maths change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Its very hard to tell to be honest. It all depends on the number of places available and the points achieved by the applicants, so if the majority of applicants for that course sat Honours maths and passed it, they will be getting a boost onto their results with the bonus points. The bonus points won't necessarily push everyone up by 25 points though, in the overall score it can make a difference of anything from 5 to 25 points extra.

Unfortunately the only thing you can do is wait and see how it turns out next Monday, everything else is just speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Maths and Irish went through the roof! Lowest Irish grade in our class was a B1, that's nuts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Epsi

Anything with HL Maths as a prerequisite is almost guaranteed to go up by 25 points at minimum.

While the points will increase for most courses due to this. They can't increase courses by 25 points to counteract the 25 points from doing higher level maths as it completely undermines the incentive to do higher level maths that the 25 extra points offer. I'm expecting most courses to go up by 10-15 points , with larger increases in computer courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Would 435 be enough for Science in NUIG? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Epsi wrote: »
    While the points will increase for most courses due to this. They can't increase courses by 25 points to counteract the 25 points from doing higher level maths as it completely undermines the incentive to do higher level maths that the 25 extra points offer. I'm expecting most courses to go up by 10-15 points , with larger increases in computer courses.
    I don't see why it's an unreasonable thought. Providing the general standard of applicants isn't lower than than last year and considering every applicant did HL Maths and got the 25 points there will almost certainly be a 25 point increase.

I don't see why it's an unreasonable thought. Providing the general standard of applicants isn't lower than than last year and considering every applicant did HL Maths and got the 25 points there will almost certainly be a 25 point increase.

I disagree , considering roughly 22% of the students sitting the leaving cert took the higher level maths paper , it seems unlikely they'll raise the points by 25 as it makes it far more difficult for ordinary level maths students to obtain courses when they're competing vs higher level maths students. If the colleges did increase the points for all their courses by 25 points , they're basically giving a big advantage to a small group of people for competing for college places. The goal of the 25 additional points was to act as an incentive for people to do honors maths , not make it mandatory if you want to get your college place. Which is why I don't think courses will increase by 25 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tweniebaby

Would 435 be enough for Science in NUIG? :(

I hope it doesn't go up by that much!! I only have 415. It was 370 last year so I'm praying it doesn't jump 45 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KoolAidRelic

The colleges don't raise the points, the points for a course are the points the lowest candidate who received an offer had.

It doesn't undermine the incentive: it doesn't affect someone who was doing honours already (they get the 25 points), but if someone was thinking of dropping to pass, they they might do honours instead because they almost NEED to do it to get in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I disagree , considering roughly 22% of the students sitting the leaving cert took the higher level maths paper , it seems unlikely they'll raise the points by 25 as it makes it far more difficult for ordinary level maths students to obtain courses when they're competing vs higher level maths students. If the colleges did increase the points for all their courses by 25 points , they're basically giving a big advantage to a small group of people for competing for college places. The goal of the 25 additional points was to act as an incentive for people to do honors maths , not make it mandatory if you want to get your college place. Which is why I don't think courses will increase by 25 points.

Do remember that colleges do not set the points but rather the points of the applicants are what set them.

The colleges don't raise the points, the points for a course are the points the lowest candidate who received an offer had.

It doesn't undermine the incentive: it doesn't affect someone who was doing honours already (they get the 25 points), but if someone was thinking of dropping to pass, they they might do honours instead because they almost NEED to do it to get in.

Sorry , Yes you're correct. Brain melted there for a moment. :o

That was the crux of the issue in my previous post. If ordinary level students wish to compete with honors maths students for spots , they may be at a disadvantage due to the additional 25 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

And that's why this bonus points scheme was not well thought out in my opinion.

Higher Level maths now basically becomes a required subject for higher points courses even though it isn't necessarily relevant to those courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KoolAidRelic

But that was the point: the whole idea behind the bonus points was make people do honours maths and maybe consider a career where it would be relevant. It's to try and increase the number and quality of people doing science/maths related courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

It's also important to remember that for these courses the required grade is usually, at most, a HC3. I didn't apply for any of these courses but I assume it's safe to assume the last applicant might get a C3. I got that today, but if I'd done pass maths I'd only have lost 10 points, not 25, because my actual maths grade wasn't in my top 6 before the points were added on.

Advertisement