Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you go for coffee/sandwiches regularly?

• 15-08-2012 2:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

Coffee, sandwiches, tea, cakes, lunch, breakfast, etc etc

What coffee shops / franchises do you frequent? O'Brien's, Kays, McCafé, BB's, etc etc.....

and why??

What do you like in a cafe?

I like when... the staff are particularly friendly, the coffee is good (for me that means it doesn't taste like dishwater, that's pretty much all I personally want in a coffee), the place is completely clean and the decor is nice... Oh and good deals. I only go about once every two weeks.

I ask mainly out of random curiosity. There really is not much reason for this post, to be perfectly honest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Me Mammy. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

My kitchen

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Local small coffee shops **** all over these franchises. They have personality and more often very nice people working/running the place. Not pricks who want to just get you out of the place once you have paid, thats before we even get onto the pricing. (May not apply to all, but from exp of a few main franchises)

I dont go often anymore tho, coffee machine does as good a job and sandwiches are just as nice when I make them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

the petrol station across the road from the factory i work in. there are no chains of coffee shops etc outside of dublin. even if there were, they all sound like ****e with your starbucks etc... a mug o tae and a hang sangich do the best, none of your prissy ****e here!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

I cant afford to go to a cafe but i find i can make tea and coffee at home and make a salad or scrambled eggs to eat with it.

Every xmas when i am shopping i stop of and get a coffee and muffin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

got food poisoned in O'Briens in Galway a few years back,,,so not there

hell no !!!!!!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I never go to star bucks or the likes... I'd rather, go to some one who got the nuts to set up there own coffee or sambo places.. Tho I think the satndered of cafes in ireland is really getting high...

its nice to see..

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Starbucks or Costa. There's a few local ones that are good but they're all fairly busy and the staff while friendly are significantly older than me, ie. I can't flirt with them.

I cant afford to go to a cafe but i find i can make tea and coffee at home and make a salad or scrambled eggs to eat with it.

so you cant afford a cuppa and a sandwich ?? ara jaysus, the country is gone to the dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I make my own sandwiches. I make my own coffee in the morning too. If I have to get anything anywhere else it won't be as nice as I prepare. My own place regularly, wherever else at my inconvenience. There's nothing like sorting yourself out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I love the caramel macchatieo fruppychinos in starbucks.

Whatever they're called, the one that has caramel and foam.

The starbucks near me smells like sour milk all the time & is filthy though, so I refuse to go to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

There is a place by me mas gaff that does a "small" Irish breakfast and a coffee for 5.95 euro. Small, me left one. It fills me up for the day and I end up having a salad or such like for me evening meal.

Decent coffee, load of toast, two eggs, two pieces of bacon, two succulent sausages, pudding and a piece of tomato.

Tasty as hell. Get it once a week. Very filling, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I always go to local cafes as you've more chance of getting something fresh and have a much better atmosphere, I always feel like I'm sitting in a well decorated Argos in coffee chain places. Italian cafes are my favourite for lunch.

Coffee I'm not fussy about as all I drink is Gold Blend and think that good coffee tastes like dirt. And I hate myself for it but every once in a blue moon I have a peppermint coffee frappachino from Starbucks, but damn its good :(

I don't like cafes where they squeeze in the chairs or its too plain.

I love the cafe beside that fast food place in Temple bar near the Temple Bar Pub, it is cosy on a rainy day, warm, great place for a chat, great selection of herbal and fruity teas but other than coffee obviously they have lots of other little delights like ice cream.

Althought the Joy of Cha close by has more food, I love the little outside seating at the back I've always been alone with friends when I've been there out the back so we could chat away and it felt like our little space..and now you all know about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

geneyuss wrote: »
    got food poisoned in O'Briens in Galway a few years back

Pfff, think that's bad?

I found a paedophile inside a breakfast roll. This was back in the Celtic Tiger days when breakfast rolls were as big as a canoe.

Pfff, think that's bad?

I found a paedophile inside a breakfast roll. This was back in the Celtic Tiger days when breakfast rolls were as big as a canoe.

its no fun making your own , , , , :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

:rolleyes:

What a cute little face you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

saa wrote: »
    I always go to local cafes as you've more chance of getting something fresh and have a much better atmosphere, I always feel like I'm sitting in a well decorated Argos in coffee chain places. Italian cafes are my favourite for lunch.

Coffee I'm not fussy about as all I drink is Gold Blend and think that good coffee tastes like dirt. And I hate myself for it but every once in a blue moon I have a peppermint coffee frappachino from Starbucks, but damn its good :(

I don't like cafes where they squeeze in the chairs or its too plain.

I love the cafe beside that fast food place in Temple bar near the Temple Bar Pub, it is cosy on a rainy day, warm, great place for a chat, great selection of herbal and fruity teas but other than coffee obviously they have lots of other little delights like ice cream.

Althought the Joy of Cha close by has more food, I love the little outside seating at the back I've always been alone with friends when I've been there out the back so we could chat away and it felt like our little space..and now you all know about it :)

I'm from Galway, so no. I have no idea what you're on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I bought a coffee in a coffee shop once. It dribbled into the saucer so I drank it from it. People looked at me disapprovingly so I've never entered a coffe shop since.

What a cute little face you have.

my mammy and daddy made it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

so you cant afford a cuppa and a sandwich ?? ara jaysus, the country is gone to the dogs

No,im skint the past while i really done have any spare cash.

They sell these kind of cup-a-soup things in tesco made by knor,you can get tomato and mozzarella flavour and Chinese noodles flavour.They are really gorgeous if anyone wants to try one,they cost 89 cent.

These are what they look like,but i havent seen all the flavours at my local tesco.

http://knorrsoups.ie/products/10-knorr-snack-soups/

• Advertisement

No,im skint the past while i really done have any spare cash.

They sell these kind of cup-a-soup things in tesco made by knor,you can get tomato and mozzarella flavour and Chinese noodles flavour.They are really gorgeous if anyone wants to try one,they cost 89 cent.

These are what they look like,but i havent seen all the flavours at my local tesco.

http://knorrsoups.ie/products/10-knorr-snack-soups/

so,to stay on topic your answer is tescos ? everyone to their own i guess :eek:

( jesting aside, were all skint and i dont go to coffe shops much, once a month maybe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Home - my coffee is damn good and I wouldn't trust some cheapie cafe to make me a sandwich. Besides, they charge way too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Parsons on the Bridge made the finest sambo's back in the tiger days. Their coffee was that Robt Roberts crap though. Pure phish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

a handy one tho when your in a rush to work and didnt get a chance to make your sangwiches.. pre made sangwiches in aldi 99c... there ok if ye have a george foreman griller thingy in your canteen at work, add a free sachet of ketchup ropped from the petrol station and voila! handy breaktime snack.
    -

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

I used to work around the corner from Honest to Goodness in George's Street Arcade, €5 for a lovely meatball sambo on a Wednesday or a sloppy joe on a Friday, used to love going in there!

I don't drink coffee so I'm not sure what it was like in there, the tea was grand though...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Well you could buy a few days supply of coffee/tea/milk/sugar/ham/butter/bread that still works out cheaper than a cup and a sandwich from Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

For me, plenty of space and a proper distance between tables is more important than other considerations. I do like a quality mug of coffee. Don't mind the franchises so much, some branches are OK.

Have to give up coffee now, though, because I can't afford it anymore.

Have a flask, handy to have portable coffee when queueing for welfare. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

We can't afford to eat out too often (less than once a month unless its someones birthday or something) but I do love breakfast in Scoozies in Cork. Its amazing and not too expensive, most of their breakfast options are less than €6 or €7.

Again, coffee while shopping is a luxury these days but I don't think you can beat a White Caramel Oreo iced coffee from Gloria Jeans.

We're so strapped for cash that we tend to eat before we go out and bring a bottle of water and a cereal bar with us if we're going out for an afternoon or shopping or the likes, its just how things are for us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Costa Coffee is the best brand name chain IMO.

But most of the time when I am in town, I go to the bald barista on Auginger Street. Best coffee in Dublin and a great selection of cakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

What line of work are you in that you cant afford a coffee?
    Omar: I robs niggaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

The kitchen mostly, though I once had a small kettle in my bedroom for midnight emergency tea and cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

What line of work are you in that you cant afford a coffee?
    Omar: I robs niggaz Drug Dealers.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Local petrol station.

Good deli counter.

The place closed down this week! I have no alternative but to make my own sambo's now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Just started working in Dublin two months ago and still on a hunt for a nice lunch spot, around the Jervis centre area. There's a place down that little arch way between the Jervis luas stop and the quays called Cafe Caglioni or something - they do nice paninis for about a fiver, and you can get their Italia panini - mozzarella, tomato and basil - and a soup for a fiver. I don't drink coffee but it looks the biz in there.
    Still trying to find somewhere nice and cosy around there that does nice stuff - I'm a sucker for a nice panini with a bit of pineapple in it. Galway was much better for this kind of thing, loved Food for Thought and I really miss An Tobar's brownies. Dublin - at least the part I'm in - seems to have far too many chains. It's really not cheap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

The kitchen, if there is an argument i'd go up to my room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

High Café is great; does nice, reasonably priced food and the staff are lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I think McDonalds do very nice coffee.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

A few on Boards.ie would like that info. on me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Insomnia probably.

5 euro for any coffee and a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Insomnia is the chain I'd go to the most these days, but (in Dublin at least) I prefer to go to the independent/more serious places when I can. 3FE is amazing of course, I love La Corte for coffee and panini, I've heard great things about Cup but I haven't been, the Bald Barista is another, that place on Dawson St is good too, and I really like the Coffee Angel that's at the pedestrian bridge near the IFSC. Oh, Lolly and Cooks is another place with very good focaccia and coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Not a cafe but Porter House in town is awesome for lunch, you can get a lovely large meal (max 10) or a warm sandwich+ crisps (around 6) with free drinks. They're great value and leave you stuffed for the rest of the day :) Also a nice pub/restaurant near O'Connell bridge where you can get a toastie + Soup for a fiver!

I don't usually go out to eat but if I need to I go to those places, we have a lack of decently priced sandwhich bars over here unlike London! Love TREK a manger over there, but GRUB is coming to Georges street now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

I don't go them regularly, but I like to go to the fine coffee shops of Amsterdam for my coffee.. and weed.... and hookers, but I'd never eat anything out of them, I have some self respect ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I like Itsa Bagel when I'm in town (yes, Dublin :pac:) shopping at the weekend. Not for atmosphere obviously, but like their bagels for a quick break.

I don't like coffee and I mostly only have a cup of tea in the evenings. I bring my own lunch to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I never go for coffee or sandwiches. I don't drink coffee or tea, and if you get shop-bought sandwiches, they usually put disgusting things like mayonnaise and salad-y stuff on it, which I also hate. For example, if I want a chicken sandwich, I just want chicken (and maybe some butter) on the bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

At home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

paddyandy wrote: »
    A few on Boards.ie would like that info. on me .

Someone's got a high opinion of themselves. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

ceegee wrote: »
    My kitchen

Any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I just bring my own as there is no cafe beside work and no vending machines. It sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Dont do the paid coffee anymore, in London i used to spend money on that when i was still a hipster (gobsh1te) before going back to my culchie roots. Used to crack open my macbook and start mouthing off to randoms with similar trendy clothing as myself how facebook, the cloud, google driverless cars and mandatory microchip implants were going to make everyones life so much better then one day i woke up and realised it was a load of shoite so i bought a one way ticket from paddington to rosslare for £35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Coffee at home in the mornings. Topaz garages for filter coffee. Any other cafe with a proper machine. I refuse to drink out of any machines that you press a button. I prefer someone to make it for me if I'm paying the money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement