Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals that are unexpectedly dangerous?

Options
  • 15-08-2012 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭

Was reading recently about how large herons and cranes are actually quite dangerous when captured or approached during nesting season, and how people have been stabbed (often in the eyes, ouch) by these birds, sometimes with fatal results. Haven´t been able to find actual reports of deadly cases but I can totally see a large heron stabbing one deep with its beak and causing a deadly wound.

Also, by now I guess most people has heard how dangerous swans, pandas, koalas, hippos and deer can be. Do you know of other animals that are actually dangerous but are for one or another reason not usually considered so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

some non-billfish jumped out of the sea while some couple were surf canoing past and head butted the girl between her ribs causing a ridiculously massive wound which she nearly died of coz the first rescue boat beached itself but it was mad there was footage and the fish just jumped out at such power and smashed into her side... and obviously this has happened with bill fish like marlin but I saw a whole program on it ... one old dude got speared by a big marlin right through his back nearly right through but survived and went back following birthday to catch the fcuker... basically large powerful fish can jump out and do you some serious mid air damage is the general thesis there.... also saw fish... in Australia...huge feckin sawfish 14 feet long thrash around n tear you asunder when you're trying to land them but actually that's fairly un-unusual... still tho... awesome fish n all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

some non-billfish jumped out of the sea while some couple were surf canoing past and head butted the girl between her ribs causing a ridiculously massive wound which she nearly died of coz the first rescue boat beached itself but it was mad there was footage and the fish just jumped out at such power and smashed into her side... and obviously this has happened with bill fish like marlin but I saw a whole program on it ... one old dude got speared by a big marlin right through his back nearly right through but survived and went back following birthday to catch the fcuker... basically large powerful fish can jump out and do you some serious mid air damage is the general thesis there.... also saw fish... in Australia...huge feckin sawfish 14 feet long thrash around n tear you asunder when you're trying to land them but actually that's fairly un-unusual... still tho... awesome fish n all

That was a sturgeon, wasn´t it? The one from the first case?

I remember reading about some fish... needlefish or something they're called, that have been known to basically throw themselves to the eyes of people stabbing them... dunno why they do it, they're very small and obviously not man eaters. They just do...

Seems that large conger eels have attacked people too, and there was this documentary with Jeremy Wade about very large eels in New Zealand that eat sheep... anything that eats sheep can eat humans I say...

yeah think a Sturgeon ... Congar eels are dodgy lookin don't trust em... those eels in NZ chased a lake diver from the lakebed to the surface and he came up incredibly terrified by all accounts saying they were swarming and attacking him voraciously like humbolt squid which while we're at it are some scary customers too.

Jeremy Wade and Austin Stevens are my fav animal dudes last few years... Wade just takes the whole thing so serious it cracks me up... plus last ep I watched his camera man got wacked in the head by a lightening bolt right on camera maddest thing I ever seen... was a bit shocked for bout 10 hours apparently but got back in the saddle filming Jeremy next morning even though he was nearly vaporized on TV in the middle of the Amazon, respect to that man. Stevens is like a special forces Indiana Jones meets Steve Irwin meets very logical south africaaaan but he's a true herpy and knows his **** inside n out ... spending 4 months as he did living alone in the Namibian Desert to single handedly macro film the dramatic unfoldings of a small group of pygmy chameleons and make a film which I have yet to find ...ahem liberated... on the internet called: Dragons of The Namib... love to see that. Word to anyone who sources a link for that bad boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Cows are dangerous especially in a stampede
    Bats are dangerous as they could fly through a car or truck window at night causing crashes bees and wasps are very dangerous not so much alone but enough stings which have venom in the stings can cause deaths and does every year
    There are thousands of animals out there that many believe are not dangerous but I would treat every wild animal as tho I didn't trust it therefore being cautious
    Best to just leave em be

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Adam Khor wrote: »
    That was a sturgeon, wasn´t it? The one from the first case?

I remember reading about some fish... needlefish or something they're called, that have been known to basically throw themselves to the eyes of people stabbing them... dunno why they do it, they're very small and obviously not man eaters. They just do...

Seems that large conger eels have attacked people too, and there was this documentary with Jeremy Wade about very large eels in New Zealand that eat sheep... anything that eats sheep can eat humans I say...

Not just large ones. I got a nasty bite from a small conger some years back and it left a nice scar. A really big one latching onto a diver would be capable of doing serious damage.

The one that got be would have been under 10lb, but it was still a powerful fish for it's size, a conger like this one

article-1217457-06A7B595000005DC-763_306x973.jpg

would be capable of keeping a diver held underwater if the fish felt threatened and there have been conger caught that were over three times the weight of the one in the pic.

• Advertisement

They have serious strength in them
    I caught them on the rod and even one that's 15 to 20lb have serious strength
    When you hook them the first battle is to stop them going back into the hole they live in and that can take several minutes and when they are up on the boat gettin the hook out Is a battle as you need to be extremely careful or lose a finger or a hand should the conger grab your wrist and then start a death roll similar to a crocs

Cows are dangerous especially in a stampede
    Bats are dangerous as they could fly through a car or truck window at night causing crashes bees and wasps are very dangerous not so much alone but enough stings which have venom in the stings can cause deaths and does every year
    There are thousands of animals out there that many believe are not dangerous but I would treat every wild animal as tho I didn't trust it therefore being cautious
    Best to just leave em be

I would think bees and wasps wouldn´t be "unexpectedly" dangerous- even one single sting can kill you if you happen to be allergic.
    As for bats, other than their biting and transmiting rabies, they're also dangerous if you enter their roosts and breathe air contaminated with their feces.

Some others I can think of:

Anteater (one killed a zoo keeper recently and they defend themselves quite well even from jaguars and cougars)

Owls (especially when nesting)

Bushbuck, a kind of African antelope known to hide in the bushes and ambush its enemy stabbing with its short but extremely sharp horns (has killed human hunters and leopards in this way).

Coyotes are also usually dismissed as cowardly or insignificant but recently there's been a rise in attacks to humans.

Bees and wasps are not seen as dangerous unless the person is allergic that's why I posted
    And bats yes are dangerous as they cause a lot of crashes throughout the world
    And the fact of a coyote seen as a coward animal is complete misunderstood
    A coyote is large canine and great hunter and are extremely dangerous and some more feared than wolves because they are a lot closer to humans than wolves and come in contact with people more
    Also the rise in attacks is based on that aswell
    To also point out that an eagle owl has serious pressure per square inch and havin been around them in falconry find them even livin with humans is dangerous because of their stubbornness and aggression and are extremely dangerous when approaching breeding season and attacks can be common in wooded areas
    Seals are another animal people don't see as dangerous but they are especially big bulls and leopard seals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

especially big bulls and leopard seals

Leopard seals scare the $$$$ out of me - I'd think I'd rather be in the water with a couple of Great Whites!!

Birdnuts wrote: »
    especially big bulls and leopard seals

Leopard seals scare the $$$$ out of me - I'd think I'd rather be in the water with a couple of Great Whites!!
    Yeah they've a bad ass attitude
    I definately wouldn't trust them

• Advertisement

I believe leopard seals are the only pínnipeds known to launch predatory attacks on humans... only reason why they don´t eat us more frequently is because of their remote range...

On the other hand I've heard of sea lions and elephant seals attacking people as well (although the attacks don´t seem predatory), and walruses are said to be extremely dangerous if provoked (not surprising if we consider their size and even polar bears are wary of large male walruses).

I guess dolphins count too. They may be the least vilified of animals yet they are known to bite and ram people when they're in a bad mood, with one supossed inicdent of a bottlenose killing a man by ramming his chest full speed, and larger dolphins such as pilot whales have been known to drag people underwater. One famous pilot whale named Bimbo smashed a Marineland aquarium's glass panels causing 325 gallons of water to flood the audience.
    He was eventually released as he was becoming too dangerous to handlers and spectators (and to the smaller cetaceans around him).
    I've also heard creepy stories of dolphins sexually harassing humans...

Kangaroos and emus are very dangerous, wombats can be very nasty when angry, sea turtles can be ill-tempered and deliver a nasty bite, skunk spray can make you blind, and the Asian stink badger's spray, said to be even more potent, is said to have killed dogs when hit in the face (!!).

PS- I've always considered bees and wasps dangerous, regardless of whether I'm allergic or not (which I doubt as I've been stung by both and still alive :pac:). There are few things as frightening as a swarm of angry bees ready to defend their colony to the death.

Hotcakegamer is an animal that is unexpectedly dangerous I reckon : )

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not just large ones. I got a nasty bite from a small conger some years back and it left a nice scar. A really big one latching onto a diver would be capable of doing serious damage.

The one that got be would have been under 10lb, but it was still a powerful fish for it's size, a conger like this one

article-1217457-06A7B595000005DC-763_306x973.jpg

would be capable of keeping a diver held underwater if the fish felt threatened and there have been conger caught that were over three times the weight of the one in the pic.

I can't get over the size of the mouth on that Conger - you'd have zero chance if that got your arm and retreated back into its hole and just held ya there til your air went.... and then ate ya after which I'm sure it would.

Not really
    It may hold you under and once you stop moving it'll let go as your dead so the threat is gone but it won't eat you
    Congers swallow their prey whole
    That one is huge but bigger has been caught
    I was fishin in cobh few weeks back and got hooked into one that was ****in huge never seen it but it broke the wire trace I had in half and nearly pulled my rod and possibly me in aswell
    They are brilliant to hook

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All the cute furry forest dwellers that carry plague https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoonosis

Boars - because they charge and their tusks are at femoral artery height

But aren´t boars considered to be dangerous by pretty much everyone?

In Latin America, the white lipped peccary may seem too small to be a threat but there's plenty of stories about hunters being charged by the entire herd and ripped to pieces by the angry things after shooting at them:

Collared peccary aka javelina is less likely to attack but equally well armed:
    Javelina-tpwd-sm.jpg

They have serious strength in them
    I caught them on the rod and even one that's 15 to 20lb have serious strength
    When you hook them the first battle is to stop them going back into the hole they live in and that can take several minutes and when they are up on the boat gettin the hook out Is a battle as you need to be extremely careful or lose a finger or a hand should the conger grab your wrist and then start a death roll similar to a crocs

I have a nice scar on my leg that can attest to the effectiveness to their bite and roll technique :D

Have hooked many over the years and totally agree about their strength. Have never come close to getting bitten by one when fishing, so a bit typical of my luck that the one time one bit me was when I was diving. As said earlier I was lucky that the one that got me was quite a small conger.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I have a nice scar on my leg that can attest to the effectiveness to their bite and roll technique :D

Have hooked many over the years and totally agree about their strength. Have never come close to getting bitten by one when fishing, so a bit typical of my luck that the one time one bit me was when I was diving. As said earlier I was lucky that the one that got me was quite a small conger.

That reminds me of the giant (short-finned or long-finned, don´t remember which one) eels from New Zealand's lakes which are supossed to be very voracious and to eat sheep by biting off chunks using that bite and roll technique.

eel.jpg

longfin-eel-01-625x450.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

a shark will only attack if you are wet

a shark will only attack if you are wet

AHEM :p

A fisherman was attacked by a shark after he hauled it into his boat to pose for a commemorative picture.

Angler Stephen Perkins, 52, got more than he bargained for when he hauled the fish on board his boat 'Serenity' off Lundy Island, Devon.

As he was preparing to unhook the fish, it sank its teeth into his wrist leaving him needing re-constructive surgery. It has earned him an unlikely place in history as the first documented case of a man being bitten by a Blue Shark off British waters.

Such was the blood loss that an RAF Sea King helicopter had to be scrambled to take him to North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple on Saturday where he was finally released today.

Although the incident could not be treated as an "unprovoked" attack, it is believed to be the first documented case of a Blue Shark - a common migratory visitor to British waters - biting someone in this way.

However, experts said it was possible there could have been similar "attacks" in the past which went unreported during the 1950s and 1960s when as many as 6,000 Blue Sharks a year were caught off the coast of Cornwall alone each year.

While still common off the west coast of England and Wales, Blue Sharks - which can grow to 13ft long - have seen their numbers drastically reduced by overfishing in recent decades, with only about 200 reeled in last year in the same area.

Mr Perkins, from Glamorgan, south Wales, is a regular shark angler and was making the most of sunny weather conditions on Saturday.

"We don't harm the sharks when we hook them, we just take a picture and put them back in the water," he explained.

"But the one I got was pretty lively and having put his jaw around my wrist then let go.

"The scariest bit, to be honest, was going up in a helicopter.

"It won't put me off fishing again but I will remember to pick the shark up by the blunt end in future."

Douglas Herdson, 61, information officer at the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth, Devon, said: "This is the first attack by a Blue Shark in this country, but it is very unlikely to be unprovoked."

But Richard Pierce, chairman of the Shark Trust, said: "Between the 1950s and 1960s the Shark Angling Club of Great Britain by themselves caught nearly 20,000 Blue Sharks - believe me that would not have been bite-free.

"I was bitten by a porbeagle shark, which is a first cousin of the Great White, just last year.

"I was taking a hook out of its mouth, what was it going to do kiss me?"

He said there had only been four documented cases of shark "attacks" off British waters in the past, the most serious being when a basking shark unintentionally overturned a 15ft boat in the Firth of Clyde in 1937, causing three people to drown.

An 18-year-old German was once bitten on the arm by a small shark he was trying to release from a net in Scotland and needed hospital treatment after the wound turned septic.

"There has never been a proper, real shark attack in British waters and this is not a shark attack," Mr Pierce said.

There have, however, been several people injured by sharks on land including a landlady in Kent who was hit by a set of shark jaws which fell off the wall of her pub and a man whose arm was trapped inside the jaws of a dead shark he was transporting on ice after he stopped his van suddenly sending the carcass flying through the air, snapping its jaws shut on his arm.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/3350690/Man-bitten-by-shark-as-he-poses-for-photograph-on-boat.html

• Advertisement

What size was the shark tho?
    Was it as long as your post? /|\
    |
    lol

"We don´t harm the sharks when we hook them"

I'm not sure about this. I've read that sharks don´t feel pain the same way as we do, but I seriously doubt having a big ass hook in their mouth or nose is a very pleasant experience to them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've also heard creepy stories of dolphins sexually harassing humans...

There's footage of a male elephant seal sexually harassing a diver. Nearly crushed him between a rock and a hard place.
    I saw it on an episode of When Fish Attack (I know I know!).

Galvasean wrote: »
    There's footage of a male elephant seal sexually harassing a diver. Nearly crushed him between a rock and a hard place.
    I saw it on an episode of When Fish Attack (I know I know!).

A horny elephant seal is WAY creepier than a dolphin! D:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I never knew a Ray was dangerous until I read about the one that killed Steve Irwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Leopard seals are quite dangerous when they want to be and have been known to attack humans. As regards unexpected attacks I would have to say that tamanduas or giant anteaters have been known to kill humans in captivity and in the wild. They stand one their hind legs and attack very fast with their huge claws.

5214408891_1910354851_z.jpg

Tapirs are known to dismember hapless farmers:

6073990479_0d74d9c578_z.jpg

I was lookin at that pic thinkin what the hell then realised it has it's young on its back
    Anyone cop that
    Cane toads are quite aggressive towards animals and humans
    Was readin a thing bout them attackin people's feet and attackin horses and cats and dogs

I was lookin at that pic thinkin what the hell then realised it has it's young on its back
    Anyone cop that
    Was readin a thing bout them attackin people's feet and attackin horses and cats and dogs

Yeah but they aren´t truly dangerous unless you're dumb enough to put them in your mouth :pac:

• Advertisement

Anyone cop that

Yeah but they aren´t truly dangerous unless you're dumb enough to put them in your mouth :pac:
    Are they the toads that people lick? :P

Advertisement