Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcastle away

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Didn't play to badly tbh,we deserved a point at least from the game but gave away a needless penalty near the end,I'm not happy about starting Gallas when Dawson and Vertongen are available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Rome wasnt built in a day lads. This is a rebuilding season. Its a case of one step backwards before we can take two steps forward.

Looks like we will need to invest in a replacement for luka thou. Badly missed. Its gonna be very inconsistent between now and xmas. Lets hope we can stay with touching distance of top 4 until the new year and then push on.

Rebuilding ? Nonsense

This should be a season of kicking on and going for 3rd

Hudd looks to have fallen out with avb already . He tweeted saying he was fit and just not involved . Avb is stupid when it comes to man management

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Thought Gallas also played well, still surprised with his inclusion but he's highly experienced so I can understand why he started. Wouldn't expect it to stay that way.

Lacked the creatitivty in midfield, nothing much between the teams bar Newcastle's finishing.

I agree with the sentiments of 2nd row donkey, it's only the 1st game of the season. At least we didn't get hockeyed like last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Thought Gallas also played well, still surprised with his inclusion but he's highly experienced so I can understand why he started. Wouldn't expect it to stay that way.

Lacked the creatitivty in midfield, nothing much between the teams bar Newcastle's finishing.

I agree with the sentiments of 2nd row donkey, it's only the 1st game of the season. At least we didn't get hockeyed like last season.
    I think we were very unlucky, hit the post or bar 3 times. Newcastles 1st was a wonderful strike.
    Quite positive on how we played. Getting used to a new system and still a striker to come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

There's a lot of positives from yesterday's game. We controlled the pace of the game and the high line was never really troubled.

The two goals we conceded were poor, but were not caused by anything tactical. You could say Gallas could have got a little closer, but the finish was brilliant. On the second goal, Rafa/Lennon fooked up. The first rule of closing a player down is getting 'side on'. BOTH players were square on, thus were caught flat footed when Ben Arfa went through the middle. Also, Rafa should have been a few steps behind Lennon, supporting. Most U-10s know these basic rules of defending.

Lennon and Bale couldn't really get in to the match without anyone up front to hold the ball up. Yesterday's game highlighted how desperately we need an Adebayor or a Llorente - hopefully we can get the deal done this week.

Considering this was the very first step in a new era I'm not too disappointed.

COYS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

mickman wrote: »
    Rebuilding ? Nonsense

That's not nonsense at all. Change takes time. We're moving from an era of tactics-less matches and a team who rolls over and dies against the 'big' teams, to an era where we want to win trophies. In order to do this AVB has to bring in new ideas and players. New ideas take time to plant in players' heads.

Hudd looks to have fallen out with avb already . He tweeted saying he was fit and just not involved . Avb is stupid when it comes to man management

A player using Twitter as a medium to show he is disgruntled at not playing tells you more about the player than the manager. Huddlestone has been out for a year, there's no way he should have been involved today (when Sandro and Livermore are fully fit), he has a long road to go to get back to match fitness.

Rebuilding ? Nonsense

I think we will kick on.
    AVB prob told thudd ur fat and slow and still coming back from injury. Thudd prob just took the hump. Everyone seems happy enough with AVB no discontent shown unlike at chelsea.

There was this strange thing happening 2 on the side line. Arm around a players shoulder talking into their ear an pointing at things going on on the pitch. I believe they are called tactics...? Dont think it invloved "running around and look busy"

Rebuilding ? Nonsense

That's not nonsense at all. Change takes time. We're moving from an era of tactics-less matches and a team who rolls over and dies against the 'big' teams, to an era where we want to win trophies. In order to do this AVB has to bring in new ideas and players. New ideas take time to plant in players' heads.

A player using Twitter as a medium to show he is disgruntled at not playing tells you more about the player than the manager. Huddlestone has been out for a year, there's no way he should have been involved today (when Sandro and Livermore are fully fit), he has a long road to go to get back to match fitness.

Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

Was nice to see Harry Kane get on for a few short minutes, one for the future definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Rebuilding ? Nonsense

What is it they say about fickle spurs fans :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Rebuilding ? Nonsense

We've lost 3 senior players - our club captain, our main creative midfielder and our main striker. Not to mention our most consistent and successful manager in 15-20years.

Rebuilding implies we have to start again. While that may not be the case we are definetly in for a period of transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You sometimes got to take a step back to go forward. Hopefully Levy and Co will realise how badly we need a Modric replacement and a striker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

And in other news ....

Did anyone else think it was weird when MOTD cut to the post-match interviews and AVB was standing there.

.. had just got so used to seeing 'arry have the banter with the interviewer, I definetly felt a tinge of sadness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I thought it was a good performance, all things considered. We played the ball on the ground enough to keep Defoe ticking over, we attacked with speed and caused them a lot of problems. Definitely deserved at least a draw, possibly more.

Siggy looks a class act. Better option that VdV in Premiership away games anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Ormus wrote: »
    Siggy looks a class act. Better option that VdV in Premiership away games anyway.

Particularly set pieces, our first two corners were landed in between the 6 and 18 yard line, a joy to behold beating the first man! I can see Vertonghen and Kaboul scoring a good few goals from corners this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Nice to be looking down at Man U :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

thought we played well and were quite unfortunate to come away with nothing

could be in for a decent season if the chairman gets his finger out and improves the striking options

Advertisement