Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC Build

Options
  • 15-08-2012 6:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

hey just wanted to put a post up about a new gaming pc im going to be building :) its always better to share with others so you can get some advice if you went wrong somewhere ;)

Here are the specs tell me what you think...

Case - Gigabyte IF233 Miditower USB 3.0 Midi-Tower Case

PSU - Corsair 700 Watt GS Gaming Series High Performance 80+ Bronze ATX

Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 ATX

CPU - Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5GHz LGA1155 8MB 95W

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL9 XMP

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 7770 HD 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI

HDD - Hitachi 1TB Deskstar 7K1000.C SATA-300 7200rpm 32mb

Optical Drive - Sony Optiarc 24x Internal DVD Multi Writer (DVD-RW/RAM) with Black Bezel Bare

After Market CPU Cooler - Akasa Nero 3 Premier CPU Cooler

Speakers - Microlab Solo 5C 80 Watt 2.0 Speaker System

Monitor - HannsG 21.5 inch LCD HD PC Monitor

Mouse and Keyboard - Gigabyte GK-KM7580 - Keyboard - wireless - 2.4 GHz - mouse - USB wireless receiver

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

hey just wanted to put a post up about a new gaming pc im going to be building :) its always better to share with others so you can get some advice if you went wrong somewhere ;)

Here are the specs tell me what you think...

Case - Gigabyte IF233 Miditower USB 3.0 Midi-Tower Case

PSU - Corsair 700 Watt GS Gaming Series High Performance 80+ Bronze ATX

Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 ATX

CPU - Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5GHz LGA1155 8MB 95W

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL9 XMP

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 7770 HD 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI

HDD - Hitachi 1TB Deskstar 7K1000.C SATA-300 7200rpm 32mb

Optical Drive - Sony Optiarc 24x Internal DVD Multi Writer (DVD-RW/RAM) with Black Bezel Bare

After Market CPU Cooler - Akasa Nero 3 Premier CPU Cooler

Speakers - Microlab Solo 5C 80 Watt 2.0 Speaker System

Monitor - HannsG 21.5 inch LCD HD PC Monitor

Mouse and Keyboard - Gigabyte GK-KM7580 - Keyboard - wireless - 2.4 GHz - mouse - USB wireless receiver

Surprised nobody's actually replied to this by now, so I'll give you a few pointers:

Case: Pretty Meh, have a look at the Bitfenix Shinobi range or Corsair Carbide range.

PSU: Overkill and not a very good model.

Motherboard: The Asrock Z77's are a better choice at the moment than the ASUS

CPU: Don't get an i7 2700k; If you're just gaming get an i5 3570k but if you're doing heavy video editing and the like get an i7 3770k.

RAM: Very high heatspreaders, find something with lower ones.

GPU: Totally out of place in a build like this, look for something like HD7950 or GTX 670.

HDD: That's a fine hard drive, but you should try to squeeze in an SSD.

CPU Cooler: Haven't heard a lot about it, but I'd get an Arctic i30 cooler instead, depending on budget.

The other components are personal choice.

I wouldn't get a wireless KBM if you're gaming, btw.

Anyway, what's your budget? I could spec out a much better build if you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

+1 on EB comments that's a bit of a mismatched build.

i7 add nothing to gaming rigs where the ever cent you spend on the GPU does.

Case and PSU are iffy - RAM selection depends on how much they are. RAM is an odd one these days with it being so cheap.

Wireless KB and mouse on a gaming rig! /Unfollowed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Is this already bought?

If it isn't...

Aren't Hitachi on "D" series drives now? Never bought a Hitachi drive but the D ones look decent enough. They're owned by Western Digital now anyway which have been reliable enough for me.

Corsair GS is okay, not really as bad as it's made out above but it might not be best value and it's certainly overkill.

With the extra funds saved from choosing a more appropriate CPU, perhaps you could get a better graphics card and/or SSD.

Where are you buying?

Monotype wrote: »
    Is this already bought?

If it isn't...

Aren't Hitachi on "D" series drives now? Never bought a Hitachi drive but the D ones look decent enough. They're owned by Western Digital now anyway which have been reliable enough for me.

Corsair GS is okay, not really as bad as it's made out above but it might not be best value and it's certainly overkill.

With the extra funds saved from choosing a more appropriate CPU, perhaps you could get a better graphics card and/or SSD.

Where are you buying?

I totally misread the PSU, I thought it was a Coolermaster GX.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 James Begley

i have completely changed the build in light of the advice i was given ...

Gigabyte IF233 Miditower USB 3.0 Midi-Tower Case

ASRock Z77 Performance S1155 Intel Z77 DDR ATX

Intel Core i5-3570K S1155 3.4GHz 6MB

Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.5v 240pin

Asus GeForce GTX 560 Ti 900MHz 2GB PCI-Express HDMI DirectCU II

OCZ Technology PSU, ModXStream Pro, 600W - UK

Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA-600 7200RPM 32MB

Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 Intel CPU Cooler (LGA 2011, 1155 & 1156 Socket)

Samsung SH-S222 22x DVD-RW SATA OEM (Black)

Hope this is better than before !

• Advertisement

RAM - How much is it? No point in spending big money on RAM

560Ti - Why? Sometimes there is a reason but tbh for gaming there are better cards.

Can you link that cooler - I've never heard of it - not saying its bad I'll just have a look how it stacks up.

i have completely changed the build in light of the advice i was given ...

Gigabyte IF233 Miditower USB 3.0 Midi-Tower Case

ASRock Z77 Performance S1155 Intel Z77 DDR ATX

Intel Core i5-3570K S1155 3.4GHz 6MB

Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.5v 240pin

Asus GeForce GTX 560 Ti 900MHz 2GB PCI-Express HDMI DirectCU II

OCZ Technology PSU, ModXStream Pro, 600W - UK

Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA-600 7200RPM 32MB

Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 Intel CPU Cooler (LGA 2011, 1155 & 1156 Socket)

Samsung SH-S222 22x DVD-RW SATA OEM (Black)

Hope this is better than before !

Where are you ordering from? Don't get the 560ti, the HD7850 is a much better choice.

EDIT: Oh it's dabs... Try hardwareversand instead?

heres a link to the cooler http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/472/freezer-i30.html

what are delivery charges to ireland like on hardwareversand because i presume this website is german ?

Das ist correcten

€18.99 they more than make up for it on component prices though.

Its a bit meh but I guess okay for the money - unless you want a cheap Coolermaster V8? :D

• Advertisement

Bear in mind that hardwareversand just have the option of bank transfer for payment as they don't use credit cards as much in Germany. They've updated the site to say that they're offering credit cards, but it will probably take a while for the option to appear.
    It should work out a good bit cheaper unless dabs come along with one of their discount vouchers.

Incidentally, dabs is based in the UK.

Here is the final Rig !

Case - Corsair Carbide Series 400R, ATX

Motherboard - ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance, Sockel 1155, ATX

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155

RAM - 8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL9

GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 7850, 2GB GDDR5

HDD - Seagate Barracuda Spinpoint HD103SJ 1TB SATA II

Optical Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7261S LS, SATA

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD

PSU - Corsair 650HX, 650 Watt

Monitor - ASUS VE228H Full HD LED Monitor

Speakers - Wavemaster MX-3+

Tell me what you guys think ...

Fatality Mainboard is overkill, RAM is probably overkill, PSU is over kill.

Case is nice but could be nicer. You're missing an SSD.

Just my 2 cents - but its your build.

Will you every be going Xfire? Seems unlikely with that choice of GPU.

instead of saying the components are overkill tell me why exactly they are over kill ? otherwise im not going to listen
    case is fine im not spending money on a 200 euro case just so it can look nice it serves all i need it to ! its fine
    ssd's arent nessesary ! i dont know why people in sist that they are they are way to expensive i have a budget and my budget doesnt accomodate an ssd , i can always buy one at a later time and install my os onto it and move my files back to the hard drive !
    and no i wont be ...

instead of saying the components are overkill tell me why exactly they are over kill ? otherwise im not going to listen
    case is fine im not spending money on a 200 euro case just so it can look nice it serves all i need it to ! its fine
    ssd's arent nessesary ! i dont know why people in sist that they are they are way to expensive i have a budget and my budget doesnt accomodate an ssd , i can always buy one at a later time and install my os onto it and move my files back to the hard drive !
    and no i wont be ...

Mucker - you're not linking stuff and on top of that you don't answer questions when put to you. I have limited time and prefer to spend it on people that aren't fecking rude when I'm simply trying to help them.

Its very difficult to gage what you are and aren't looking for; firstly I'm not telepathic that's why there is a form for people to fill in and secondly your choice of components make no sense to me.

Why spend money on something that doesn't help you - Motherboard when you could buy a case for a few quid more with better airflow of overclocking.
    If you want my help fill in the form I've had enough trying to figure out what you're looking for. I'm not going to write an essay explaining random stuff to you - if you have a specific question ask it.

Looks like you're going for an SLI build with an odd choice of GPU and case at the moment. You still haven't answered my question on how much that RAM is.

the ram is € 43.50
    is the ASRock Z77 Pro4, Sockel 1155, ATX a better choice it isnt made for crossfirex builds from what i can see ?
    and from that being 30 euro cheaper i have chosen a slightly dearer case like you said

Thermaltake Overseer RX-I

there is lots of airflow and cable management it great it also accomadates bigger cpu coolers and its a full tower case meaning i have more room to work with

Is this still on dabs? I don't see the Fatal1ty there.
    Prices vary a lot in places so if you want the best value, let us know where you are buying.

Are you looking xfire?

The Pro3 is best value imo - I'm actually dont recall what the pro3 lacks over the pro4.

The reason we recomend SSDs btw is we've all seen the benefit - its not for everyone though some people are more patient.

To be fair if it came down to a better GPU vs SSD I'd go for the GPU.

no im not looking for xfire not until these components are outdated anyway

i'll take a look at the differences between them

i do want to have an ssd but they are too expensive and dont fit my budget but as soon as i can scrape some extra money to get one i will be investing in one

• Advertisement

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL9|€43.45
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 3 6GB/s|€75.93
    Corsair Carbide Series 500R schwarz, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€102.94
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7850 Coolstream Edition, 2GB GDDR5|€222.00
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz|€18.05
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€91.34
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€218.09
    Noctua NH-D14, Sockel AM2/AM2+/AM3/775/1366/1155/1156|€74.79
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€54.51
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€920.09

The 2500K used to be good value but it looks like HWVS are out of tray CPUs and are only selling box now. The debate on Ivy v Sandy is endless - for a tenner I'd go Ivy just my opinion though.

You could come down on the case - I include it as an example of paying a fraction more to get something better vs the 400R. The 400R is still a cracking case. The Bitfenix Merc Beta shouldn't be discount either as huge bang for the buck.

The Noctua could also be scaled back - I include it to make the most of the unlocked K series CPU. Ivy runs hot and needs decent cooling.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

some of the new the parts of your recomended build arent' as good and the build is only 16 euro cheaper

Motherboard - Pro4 has optical out, 2 extra rear USB ports, DVI, and extra PCI slot, in addition to the extra 2 SATA III ports

GPU - requires higher a higher power supply and a higher power GPU the more heat is generated which needs better cooling

Case - Case is nice and i was considering it but it doesnt have as good of a cooling system its also more expensive

CPU Cooler - this kind of cooling only matters once you are pushing an overclock of 4.5+ and even the the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is one of the best coolers not to mention inexpensive

I did however change the Intel Core i5-2500k to the Intel Core i5-3570k and i also changed the Optical drive to the LG GH24NS

The Club 3D Radeon HD 7850 Coolstream Edition requires a 700 watt PSU ?

Nope, it can run perfectly off a 450 watt PSU with tons of room for overclocking.

There is not provision for Xfire in that system btw the motherboard is single GPU only. That said SLI/Xfore has given me nothing but heart ache when I've used it

Eboggles wrote: »
    Nope, it can run perfectly off a 450 watt PSU with tons of room for overclocking.

yes it can run but it keeps the PSU running at full capacity lowering the life of the psu , check its system requirements ..

yes it can run but it keeps the PSU running at full capacity lowering the life of the psu , check its system requirements ..

:rolleyes:

I'd probably sacrifice the expensive case for the old reliable Merc Beta and get an SSD myself. Incidentally, have you tried a PC with SSD James Begley? The overall responsiveness is astounding in comparison. Not really about the raw speed differences but your PC feels much faster when there's no waiting for you basic key programs and reboots are not a worry.

There is not provision for Xfire in that system btw the motherboard is single GPU only. That said SLI/Xfore has given me nothing but heart ache when I've used it

i know that why i went for the ASrock ASRock Z77 Pro4 rather than the ASRock Z77 Extreme4

what i meant was i woudnt consider CrossfireX until i have to upgrade Motherboard

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Voice of the Ages

I noticed that you're buying a Speakers for your build. I always thought that the new trend was heading toward headsets, especially.

I would recommend the SteelSeries Siberia V2. Excellent sound quality, and you don't have to listen to the "whirr" of the CPU fan.

• Advertisement

The 7850 only hits about 100W under strenuous conditions. Allow say 150W for overclocks. The rest of a Sandy or Ivy Bridge system should be well below 200W with overclocking unless you have a wall of hard drives. That's maximum values, by the way. You could get away with 350W-400W if you had a good PSU! 450W/550W is a lot of room for upgrades!

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/24.html

And take some time to read the PSU guide in my signature if you want more info or need convincing. They overestimate PSU requirements on graphics cards because of all the shtt ones around.

Advertisement