Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Bill from ESB

Options
  • 15-08-2012 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,376 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

As the title suggests we've recieved a massive bill from the ESB for 409 Euro. This cant be as we've been receiving bills for around 100 euro since we've moved in. We're at a loss here as to what to do, could it be a account error or something?

Is there anything we can do as we cant afford for this to come out in one lump sum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Vicxas wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

As the title suggests we've recieved a massive bill from the ESB for 409 Euro. This cant be as we've been receiving bills for around 100 euro since we've moved in. We're at a loss here as to what to do, could it be a account error or something?

Is there anything we can do as we cant afford for this to come out in one lump sum.

Where your previous bills estimated? maybe your meter was read recently and that accounts for the large bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Galadriel wrote: »
    Where your previous bills estimated? maybe your meter was read recently and that accounts for the large bill.

This is the most likely scenario. If you look back at all the previous bills, you will see they are most likely estimates. Then the meter is read and there is a huge discrepancy.
    You need to ring ESB straight away and discuss a payment plan. Dont agree to a plan that you know you wont be able to stick too. Think of a plan before you actually ring, say 75 euro this week and 40euro for the next 8 weeks, if you can afford that. See if they will accept that. Either way, the bill must be paid. Only very very rarely are there mistakes in the calculation or the meter reading.
    If you are not having your meter read very often, then you can read it yourself and phone in your reading. While your on the phone to the ESB ask them to send you a key to your meter box.
    If you simply cannot come to an agreement with the ESB about this outstanding amount, you will have to contact MABS
    http://www.mabs.ie/contact-mabs/
    If your circumstances are very poor you can always go to the St Vincent de Paul
    http://svp.ie/Contact-Us.aspx

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Def sounds like you've been getting estimated bills, mrsbyrne's advice here is spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

The neighbours had a similar situation but there bill was a €1,000

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gems1183

spot on with the advice above,we recently got a huge bill from the esb also and when contacted they couldnt have been more helpful.Our bills had been estimated as the meter is inside the house and the new meter man hadnt left his card. They can change the direct debit date within reason and take weekly installments,you can go into a post office with a bill or the payment card at any time and take money off the bill also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Vicxas wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Do you pay by direct debit? If so, you have guaranteed and protections under the Direct Debit Scheme.
    You are entitled to request a refund of any variable direct debit which exceeded the amount which you could reasonably have expected, subject to you so requesting your bank within a period of 8 weeks from the date of debiting such direct debit to your account; your bank is entitled to ask you to provide factual elements relating to your request for a refund

1. Ring your local branch. The one that maintains your current account that services the Direct Debit.
    2. You will have to show a few recent bills plus the latest one showing the "outrageous :)" amount.
    3. The refund should be quick but I don't think a reference timeline is outlined.
    4. Your bank may not know what you are talking about. In that case, ask them to provide you with their Group Complaints Department number. Ring them and have the same conversation.

Be assertive but nice. This is YOUR money and YOUR account. It doesn't belong to ESB or your bank.

You are still potentially liable to pay the outstanding amount to ESB. However, it will at least get the money back into your account so you can live.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Cabaal wrote: »
    Def sounds like you've been getting estimated bills, mrsbyrne's advice here is spot on

To do a test , you could turn off all fuses etc in the house and check the ESB meter to see if the wheel is moving .

If theres usage , it may be a leak .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

RangeR wrote: »
    3. The refund should be quick but I don't think a reference timeline is outlined.
    4. Your bank may not know what you are talking about. In that case, ask them to provide you with their Group Complaints Department number. Ring them and have the same conversation.

Be assertive but nice. This is YOUR money and YOUR account. It doesn't belong to ESB or your bank.

You are still potentially liable to pay the outstanding amount to ESB. However, it will at least get the money back into your account so you can live.
    If they were being underestimated for a long time and this is the accurate amount, it kinda is the ESB's money. A refund would only be in lieu of a payment plan.

Madam_X wrote: »
    If they were being underestimated for a long time and this is the accurate amount, it kinda is the ESB's money. A refund would only be in lieu of a payment plan.

It doesn't matter whether it's owed or not. The Direct Debit Scheme Rules are clear. It's not about not paying. It's about paying what you can afford, when you can afford. It puts you back in control of your account.

You will note that I said that liability still remains for payment. This guarantee is there to make sure that your account isn't cleared out in one huge payment

RangeR wrote: »
    It doesn't matter whether it's owed or not. The Direct Debit Scheme Rules are clear. It's not about not paying. It's about paying what you can afford, when you can afford. It puts you back in control of your account.
    But while it's a genuine struggle for many to keep on top of bills, for those who aren't in arrears, wouldn't the company's agreed payment terms of having the bill cleared in full by a certain date not be at odds with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

A similar thing happened to me. In my case it was the ESB got my house number wrong and were billing me for the usage in a house that was nearing completion but had no occupants. It took them 6 months to realise the mistake by which point I owed them 500 euro.
    I have since moved to Bord Gas but I pay 10-20 (depending on funds) off both gas and leccy every week via internet banking. Been doing this for 3 years now and each bill is a pleasant surprise as I am always at least 100 euro in credit.

I know this is no help to the OP now - but is something to consider for the future.

Madam_X wrote: »
    But while it's a genuine struggle for many to keep on top of bills, for those who aren't in arrears, wouldn't the company's agreed payment terms of having the bill cleared in full by a certain date not be at odds with this?

I think you are missing the point. My argument has nothing to do with struggle in financially hard times. It has nothing to do with the supplier. I'm purely talking about the Direct Debit Guarantee in the case of a disputed amount. Unless things have changed since the OP, there IS a dispute in the amount owed.

I've also said, at least twice before, I'm not saying the bill shouldn't be paid. We do not know if it's an estimate gone bad. We don't know if there is a fault on ESB's side. We don't know.

Until OP knows, he can tell the bank to stop the payment until the dispute is resolved.

I have nothing against the OP, nothing against the ESB but the bank account belongs to the op, not ESB. He/She can de-authorise any payment, at any time. for any reason. It's a form of payment. OP can choose to pay the bill by some other means when/if the dispute is resolved.

And again, for the FORTH time, NOTHING I said negates potential liability of the OP to the supplier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

You could switch to another supplier too.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

charlemont wrote: »
    You could switch to another supplier too.;)

The companies are more aware of this then ever. You'll often see in their T&C's:
    You will be unable to avail of this offer if you are in arrears of more than 60 days.

217531.jpg

Yeh I know you never said there's no liability for payment, I was just wondering whether a direct debit taken out for a due bill would be deemed the customer's money or the company's money at that stage.

The Direct Debit Scheme rules are clear. It's irrelevant what the Originator [ESB] thinks of the issue. Every Originator [supplier in DD speak], that signed up to the Direct Debit Scheme agreed to each and every rule in the Scheme. There is no doubt.
    Summary wrote:
    • If you authorise payment by direct debit, then
    • Your direct debit originator will notify you in advance of the amounts to be debited to your account
    • Your bank will accept and pay such debits, provided that your account has sufficient available funds
    • If it is established that an unauthorised direct debit was charged to your account, you are guaranteed an immediate refund by your bank of the amount so charged where you notify your bank without undue delay on becoming aware of the unauthorised direct debit, and in any event no later than 13 months after the date of debiting of such direct debit to your account
    • You are entitled to request a refund of any variable direct debit which exceeded the amount which you could reasonably have expected, subject to you so requesting your bank within a period of 8 weeks from the date of debiting such direct debit to your account; your bank is entitled to ask you to provide factual elements relating to your request for a refund
    • You can request your bank to refuse a direct debit payment on your account up to close of business the day before the direct debit is due to be paid from your account
    • You can cancel the Direct Debit Instruction by writing in good time to your bank

Advertisement