Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA

Options
  • 15-08-2012 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

I received a letter in the post a few days ago saying I have been approved for BTEA. I have already submitted letter confirming I have been successful in being accepted in my course of choice. It says I need to submit written confirmation from(Registrars office/Admissions office only accepted)

I have yet to receive any application forms from the Admissions office. Not sure when these are due, but I guess as the normal round of offers will commence soon, they will be in the post soon or on registration day.

Anyone have any idea when to expect them. I am starting my Degree if DCU, if that helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pizza_saur_rex

The required document that you need wont be sent to you until you register for college. Registering basically means paying all the required fees (tuition, student contribution, levy). Once you have paid all of them, then the college registrar will release a the document stating you are now a student of theirs.

Most colleges dont start registering first years til september so you probably have a little longer wait. I wouldnt worry about it either. Most of everything goes smoothly, and the fact that you have been pre approved is a plus.

Now if only the grant system would sort themselves out and steam line them approvals, the whole first time in college wouldnt be so head wrecking

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ManÓg84

I received a letter in the post a few days ago saying I have been approved for BTEA. I have already submitted letter confirming I have been successful in being accepted in my course of choice. It says I need to submit written confirmation from(Registrars office/Admissions office only accepted)

I have yet to receive any application forms from the Admissions office. Not sure when these are due, but I guess as the normal round of offers will commence soon, they will be in the post soon or on registration day.

Anyone have any idea when to expect them. I am starting my Degree if DCU, if that helps.
    Just out of interest. When did you send in the BTEA form and which social welfare office? And how quick was it that you got the letter looking for registration letter from the college?

I am in a similar boat myself. I sent in the form myself 2 weeks ago but was told by my local social welfare office (Drogheda) they wouldn't even be looking at these BTEA applications for 2-3 weeks..!

Oh and in reply to your question on when to expect stuff from the college,
    have you received a date for registration from the college yet?
    If not my advice is to ring the admissions/college and ask them?
    i was told my registration is august 23rd for ucd..
    so once registered i'll be on to them asking for a letter for the btea people straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I am also starting a degree in DCU and have already received the information from them for registration dates.

Being a mature student did you not receive all the information from them in regards to the mature student open days on the 11th & 12th Sept?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

As soon as you register for college email or call the office and tell them you need proof of reg. for the SW office. They can post it or email it too you.

Don Byrne wrote: »
    i was told my registration is august 23rd for ucd..
    y

You can download and print this off by logging into your SIS web account > Student Services > My Electronic Docs > Letter of Attendance

My SW accepted it without issue and payments moved immediately.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for that Maldesu! Does the letter for SW not need to state exact start date/finish date tho.?
    That letter is already accessible for me for some reason even tho. not registered yet.. but it jus plainly says 2012/2013 term. Is that what your one said?

They are more interested in the start date than anything else since that is when they switch you over. When you are fully reg. and on the first day of lectures (10th) print it again and sent it in. The date will update every time you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

@ Don Byrne took about 10 days received letter last friday. This was the maynooth office.

@ Plain P Yes received this information regarding the mature student days. I was just not sure when I was technically registered on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Well waiting on the fees portion from Susi. Hopefully that will go smoothly or no one will have what they need. :p
    The required document that you need wont be sent to you until you register for college. Registering basically means paying all the required fees (tuition, student contribution, levy). Once you have paid all of them, then the college registrar will release a the document stating you are now a student of theirs.

Most colleges dont start registering first years til september so you probably have a little longer wait. I wouldnt worry about it either. Most of everything goes smoothly, and the fact that you have been pre approved is a plus.

Now if only the grant system would sort themselves out and steam line them approvals, the whole first time in college wouldnt be so head wrecking

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pinksparkle

Hi does anyone know whe nyou get BTEA how long you get it for, for example if i do a PLC course and then next year continue on to an Institute of Technology will I get it until I get my degree or just for one year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

You can only be approved for the BTEA for the duration of the course that you are currently doing, so if you are doing a one year PLC you will get approved for that until your last day next may and then you will need to apply again next year if you want to do a degree. Time spent on BTEA does count towards the minimum periods though so you are able to progress to a higher level course. Just make sure that you go into the social welfare the day you finish your last exam, or at least ring them, to change over to jobseekers again for the summer because you don't get BTEA during the summer. I did this exact thing last year and am starting a degree course in a few weeks, I've had no problems at all with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ClarkyTrd

Hi folks,

I recieved my letter from the Social Welfare saying my BTEA was granted and I need to send an approval letter in to them from the college saying I'm a full time student for my payment to be made.

Now am I going to get the Cost of Education Allowance (Grant) too? I was told I get €500 towards the cost of the course but it says nothing about this on the letter.

Am I entitled to any travel allowance on top on my BTEA or is it just the same amount as the Jobseekers Allowance??

Thanks alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rob w

ClarkyTrd wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I recieved my letter from the Social Welfare saying my BTEA was granted and I need to send an approval letter in to them from the college saying I'm a full time student for my payment to be made.

Now am I going to get the Cost of Education Allowance (Grant) too? I was told I get €500 towards the cost of the course but it says nothing about this on the letter.

Am I entitled to any travel allowance on top on my BTEA or is it just the same amount as the Jobseekers Allowance??

Thanks alot.

No travel allownace is paid, you just get the full rat eof jobseekers...which is 188e. Cost of education allowance is only 300e now, since last years budget, it usually takes a couple of weeks to get that, but you will get it as long as your on the BTEA!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Do you have to apply separately for cost of education allowance? How is it paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ClarkyTrd

Do you have to apply separately for cost of education allowance? How is it paid?

x2 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

No, you don't apply for it separately. If you get the BTEA it's included and it goes into your bank account in October sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mr.boombastic

I applied for BTEA about 4 weeks ago or so and received a letter last week stating that there was a problem with my application as it didnt state which year of course i was entering,basically i was waiting for confirmation from college re advanced entry and marked both the 1st and 2nd year boxes......anyways, amended the application and returned it on monday morning this week. Received letter today saying i qualify and only need letter of registration from the college once i start to commence payments. Happy days:) thought it was going to drawn out something similar to the whole SUSI process!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pandaeyes

I'll be starting in UCC in Sept, I'm currently living in Galway.
    I want to send my BTEA application off asap, but I have not been able to find accommodation in Cork yet. Can I send the form off with my Galway address or should I find somewhere in Cork 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭toc2012

I sent in my BTEA forms over a month ago and haven't heard anything back yet, since then I have received and accepted a different offer, is it just a matter of going in and changing the application or will I have to start over? Also why would it take so long to be processed?
    Thanks

@Pandaeyes - Just send in the form now from your current address. The most they sent out to me was a letter of confirmation that I'd been accepted for BTEA.

@toc2012 - Go into to your SW office on Monday and speak to them. Hopefully they won't put you to the bottom of the pile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 feng10

I got a letter from the Social Welfare on the 13th August saying my BTEA had been approved pending the letter of registration from the college. I was able to get the letter electronically through my SIS web when I registered with UCD.
    I handed the letter in to the Social Welfare weeks ago and I still haven't got any letter of approval or when I will receive my payment. I have been in numerous times chasing up Welfare Statements for SUSI and have inquired about the BTEA payment to no avail, also tried ringing but they don't answer phones:mad:.
    I am starting full time on 10th September and am worried about this. Does anybody know how it works:confused:, or has anyone been notified as to when their payments switch to BTEA?
    Any help would be appreciated guys:)

Apologies only realised this thread was a few weeks old

I handed mine in on the 27th. First payment was on Thursday 6th to the bank. You don't get notified of payment. It just changes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 feng10

Thanks for the reply Maldesu, hopefully there will be something in my bank account this Thursday so if that's the way it works. Would have been nice to actually start college knowing whether I'm still on the dole or BTEA. That's the Welfare for you:D

Advertisement