Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well, how'd it go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Leinsterr wrote: »
    I know a lot of people done applied maths. Is it hard?? I looked at the exam paper from this year and it seems pretty easy and I'm going into 4th year

Are you saying it looks easy, having no prior knowledge of the subject and just going by appearances, or are you saying it looks easy in an "I can actually do all of this" sort of way? :P

The questions are short and don't look too bad, but there's more to them than you'd think. I found the paper ok, found the subject quite difficult. Though I somehow managed a B1 after saying "**** it, I won't be counting it, won't bother studying." :L So I guess it's not that difficult. If you're interested in it, you'll probably find it grand. I thought it was a bit of a mindfúck at first though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

Irish: A1

I can not BELIEVE it. We had a terrible teacher for 5 years and then we got a different one for 6th year. She was a slave driver, but an amazing teacher.

English: A2 (A little disappointed)
    Maths: B1 (Really disappointed. It was always my best subject and I normally find it relatively easy.
    French: A2 (Delighted)
    Business: A1
    Physics: A1
    History: A1
    Applied Maths: B1 (I would have hoped for better, but the exam didn't go that well on the day.)

600 total (including maths bonus.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 jack.h

I know a lot of people done applied maths. Is it hard?? I looked at the exam paper from this year and it seems pretty easy and I'm going into 4th year

personally I think applied maths is easy,however it is one of those subjects that you nearly need to be good at naturally like how in English it is hard to get an A unless you have a flair for it. However i would highly recommend it as it takes up very little time for studying and it has an extremely predictable exam format.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

http://examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep&formAction=subject
    This is the link to the 2012 paper. I done the first 7 pages and am sorta bored now. It seems too easy so is this lower level???

jack.h wrote: »

personally I think applied maths is easy,however it is one of those subjects that you nearly need to be good at naturally like how in English it is hard to get an A unless you have a flair for it. However i would highly recommend it as it takes up very little time for studying and it has an extremely predictable exam format.
    I wouldn't say that I'm natural at maths but I'm fairly good at it. I want to do medicine and need easy points but I only want to do a max of 8 subjects and hopefully 7. Are all the papers generally the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Junior Cert Results

English - H - B
    Art - H - B
    Maths - O - C
    Irish - O - B
    TG - O - B
    German - O - B
    Science - O - B
    Metalwork - H - D
    Geography - H - D

Leaving Cert Results

Irish - O - D1
    English - H - D3
    Maths - O - C1
    German - O - C3
    Engineering - H - D2
    Construction - H - D2
    Business - O - B1

Absolute joke tbh, btw I done the Junior Cert in 2008 not 2009.. I felt I was going to get higher grade in English maybe a C1 surely Sylvia Plath didnt screw me up that bad.. As for the bull crap new Irish course something must have went wrong there as I felt the paper went well.. If I get them rechecked do they count for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hitchcock

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Why not just do Arts and then do the PDE for Primary? It'll give you more options and you'll be able to study subjects you like. Takes same amount of time too.
    Well if I went down that route it might actually take a small bit longer because the postgrad/hibernia have quite awkward intake dates, one in october and one in february, so you see it could easily run into an extra academic year. Also I would always ask myself "What if I had repeated?". But I'm considering both options! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Viken

Here's a sobering article for anyone who didn't get their desired results:
    http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats
    According to UNICEF, 22,000 children die each day due to poverty. And they “die quietly in some of the poorest villages on earth, far removed from the scrutiny and the conscience of the world. Being meek and weak in life makes these dying multitudes even more invisible in death.”

The very fact that we sat the LC in the first place means we've been handed more opportunity than most people around the world will receive in their entire lives. We will always get the chance to repeat/take an alternative route....many won't get any chance whatsoever! In that light a poor Leaving Cert result seems inconsequential.

Well done to everyone who's happy with their grades anyway. Those who didn't? It really ain't the end of your life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 jack.h

I wouldn't say that I'm natural at maths but I'm fairly good at it. I want to do medicine and need easy points but I only want to do a max of 8 subjects and hopefully 7. Are all the papers generally the same

Yes in general there is not too many ways they can vary any of the questions in applied maths. As well applied maths in my opinion is much easier than HL maths and it will help you with maths as well . You don't need to be a genius in maths to get an A1 in Applied maths . i only got a B in maths for my JC and have consistently got an A1 in Applied maths including the actual LC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I usually say this around this time every year.

To anyone who wasn't happy with their results, firstly calm down!

Secondly, there is a way around EVERYTHING.

When I did my LC in 2009, I only had my heart one course. When I got my results I was 100+ points off and got no offers off CAO the following Monday.

I looked at my options and I found a one year PLC course that would allow me entry into my course, no points required! I am now entering 3rd year of that course (hopefully, damn you repeats ).

Eitherway, it was great feeling logging into CAO in 2010 and seeing this.

kYiO4.jpg

If anyone interested in a doing a science or engineering degree in DCU or DIT and feels they didn't get enough points, pm and I'll pass the PLC course onto you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Junior Cert Results

English - H - B
    Art - H - B
    Maths - O - C
    Irish - O - B
    TG - O - B
    German - O - B
    Science - O - B
    Metalwork - H - D
    Geography - H - D

Leaving Cert Results

Irish - O - D1
    English - H - D3
    Maths - O - C1
    German - O - C3
    Engineering - H - D2
    Construction - H - D2
    Business - O - B1

Absolute joke tbh, btw I done the Junior Cert in 2008 not 2009.. I felt I was going to get higher grade in English maybe a C1 surely Sylvia Plath didnt screw me up that bad.. As for the bull crap new Irish course something must have went wrong there as I felt the paper went well.. If I get them rechecked do they count for this year?

The Junior and Leaving cert are two very different things. Just because you done well in one doesnt mean you will do well in the other.

By the time they are rechecked it will be too late. The CAO offers will have come and gone and a fair bit into the first semester.

If somehow it turns out that you were marked wrong on all of your exams then you will have to wait until next year. There are other options though. You could do a PLC or repeat your Leaving Cert.

If you are going to just wait and have them re checked then I would suggest that you resit your leaving cert. In my school about 30 of us had something re-corrected and I was the only one to get an increased mark.

Its highly unlikely that you will get many more points.

It isnt the end of the world though. You have got other opportunities, its just up to you now to go and take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

475 :D An A2 in ART of all things so i'm really over the moon :D 5 points more than my most positive predictions on the predictions thread from ages ago so yeah, cant ask for more than that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

AnnaKin wrote: »
    475 :D An A2 in ART of all things so i'm really over the moon :D 5 points more than my most positive predictions on the predictions thread from ages ago so yeah, cant ask for more than that :p

Art is near impossibly hard to get an A in - well done! You must be very talented. :)

DylanII wrote: »
    The Junior and Leaving cert are two very different things. Just because you done well in one doesnt mean you will do well in the other.

By the time they are rechecked it will be too late. The CAO offers will have come and gone and a fair bit into the first semester.

If somehow it turns out that you were marked wrong on all of your exams then you will have to wait until next year. There are other options though. You could do a PLC or repeat your Leaving Cert.

If you are going to just wait and have them re checked then I would suggest that you resit your leaving cert. In my school about 30 of us had something re-corrected and I was the only one to get an increased mark.

Its highly unlikely that you will get many more points.

It isnt the end of the world though. You have got other opportunities, its just up to you now to go and take them.

I will never resit the exam, I left school and came back to do the LC I am almost 21 I had a bad enough time being in school at 20.. I think I got the points I need anyways and have done a PLC already and found it not great as was travelling every day.. I just dont understand some of the results..

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

If somehow it turns out that you were marked wrong on all of your exams then you will have to wait until next year.

If you are going to just wait and have them re checked then I would suggest that you resit your leaving cert.

Wait!!

There are places on courses kept for the rechecks, and plenty of people move courses a few weeks in after moving up grades.
    In my school about 30 of us had something re-corrected and I was the only one to get an increased mark.
    If you go through your paper carefully with your teacher and the marking scheme when you get a chance to view it, you might find an error by the examiners. If you send your paper away for a recheck and there isn't anything in it that can be brought up, they wont necessarily bring your grade up.

If you are sure when you view it that there is an error in the application of the marking scheme, go ahead and send it off.

Is it free to look at all papers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Is it free to look at all papers ?

yep :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Free to view them, 40 euro to get them rechecked and marked again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Art is near impossibly hard to get an A in - well done! You must be very talented. :)

Aww shucks!! :p
    I dont know about that now! I wasnt expecting anything more than a B2 to be honest, but thank you so much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

So, I'm 5 points off my top course in DIT, and this means the next course Ill be offered is UCD but I only really want the course in DIT :/
    I think I did far better than marked on French HL and want to get it rechecked. So would it be wise to accept the course in UCD if given it, then wait until the results of the appeal come out? Is it possible to change to course(As well as colleges) if you make the points by recheck?
    Im so stressed out here! all I need is 5 more points, whereas I feel I should go up at least 20 points in french (I want to study french so I'm fairly certain I did everything I could for this exam and put in real effort!)

• Advertisement

Free to view them, 40 euro to get them rechecked and marked again :)

I want to get Business rechecked and marked as I never got an A in my life and I felt I should have gotten an A tbh..

So, I'm 5 points off my top course in DIT, and this means the next course Ill be offered is UCD but I only really want the course in DIT :/
    I think I did far better than marked on French HL and want to get it rechecked. So would it be wise to accept the course in UCD if given it, then wait until the results of the appeal come out? Is it possible to change to course(As well as colleges) if you make the points by recheck?
    Im so stressed out here! all I need is 5 more points, whereas I feel I should go up at least 20 points in french (I want to study french so I'm fairly certain I did everything I could for this exam and put in real effort!)

How do you know your 5 points short? Is the offers not on Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Getting English rechecked myself now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 afrocod

When will the marking schemes be available? Will they be out before the viewing of the scripts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

afrocod wrote: »
    When will the marking schemes be available? Will they be out before the viewing of the scripts?

Yes. Not sure exactly when.

**edit
    Last year it was 30th August, which was a Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

How do you know your 5 points short? Is the offers not on Monday?

Yes but for the actual course points for 2011, Im 5 points short! Then again.. maybe it's too early to worry.. they might bring down the points. Im getting a little ahead of myself with all this stress haha

spurious wrote: »
    afrocod wrote: »

Yes. Not sure exactly when.

**edit
    Last year it was 30th August, which was a Tuesday.
    Is it the same for the junior cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

AnnaKin wrote: »

Wow just checking that now and only 1% of higher level art students got an A1.
    A further 4% got an A2.

You really must be very good Anna.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it the same for the junior cert

No, the JC marking schemes come out after the JC results.

• Advertisement

Yes but for the actual course points for 2011, Im 5 points short! Then again.. maybe it's too early to worry.. they might bring down the points. Im getting a little ahead of myself with all this stress haha

Ha yeah same here :p sure just ask to look at your exam you need to give the leaflet before Tuesday so by then you will know if you need extra points

Advertisement