Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well, how'd it go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

DylanII wrote: »
    The Junior and Leaving cert are two very different things. Just because you done well in one doesnt mean you will do well in the other.

By the time they are rechecked it will be too late. The CAO offers will have come and gone and a fair bit into the first semester.

If somehow it turns out that you were marked wrong on all of your exams then you will have to wait until next year. There are other options though. You could do a PLC or repeat your Leaving Cert.

If you are going to just wait and have them re checked then I would suggest that you resit your leaving cert. In my school about 30 of us had something re-corrected and I was the only one to get an increased mark.

Its highly unlikely that you will get many more points.

It isnt the end of the world though. You have got other opportunities, its just up to you now to go and take them.

Wrong. If you are pulled up on your grades and meet the minimum entry for the course that was on your CAO (provided it's not random selection or second round) then you are entitled to a place. No ifs no buts.

It may well be October by the time you get the results but believe me there'll be students on that course who have skipped lectures and missed almost as much as you. Catching up isn't impossible.

I went back to college in December of one year before. Was grand.

Repeat the Leaving!? MADNESS!!!! Accept the place on the course you are offered or do a PLC course or something. Honestly, there is always another way to get into a course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 BubblegumBitch

English: B2
    Irish (O): B1
    Maths (O): C2
    French (O): B3
    Geography: C2
    Biology: C2
    Ag Science: D3

A total of 335... I went down from 360 in my mocks. Which makes NO sense as I studied hard for these exams and did literally nothing for my mocks. Absolutely gutted. I needed 380+ for my course :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭paddykell

Hey, did anyone get an A1 in History? I'm kinda disappointed with my A2, and I'm wondering was it marked really hard or did I just not do a great exam? I think I'm going to get it rechecked anyway, but just out of curiosity...

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

paddykell wrote: »
    Hey, did anyone get an A1 in History? I'm kinda disappointed with my A2, and I'm wondering was it marked really hard or did I just not do a great exam? I think I'm going to get it rechecked anyway, but just out of curiosity...

my friend got an A1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Did anyone here manage an A1 in Economics? Really thought i'd get it today but got an A2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭paddykell

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    my friend got an A1 :)

****e... It's just me then :P Ah well, these things happen. I'm still going to get it rechecked. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Did anyone here manage an A1 in Economics? Really thought i'd get it today but got an A2.

Got a B1 :( same with biz :( I couldn't believe it :/
    I didn't see anyone in my economics class so I don't know how they did :O

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

So, I'm 5 points off my top course in DIT, and this means the next course Ill be offered is UCD but I only really want the course in DIT :/
    I think I did far better than marked on French HL and want to get it rechecked. So would it be wise to accept the course in UCD if given it, then wait until the results of the appeal come out? Is it possible to change to course(As well as colleges) if you make the points by recheck?
    Im so stressed out here! all I need is 5 more points, whereas I feel I should go up at least 20 points in french (I want to study french so I'm fairly certain I did everything I could for this exam and put in real effort!)

Accept the course you're offered and if you are brought up and meet the minimum entry for a course that is higher on your CAO than the one you accepted then you can switch.

If you don't accept the course you're offered and you aren't brought up you won't have any course then. So do accept it.

hitchcock wrote: »
    Well if I went down that route it might actually take a small bit longer because the postgrad/hibernia have quite awkward intake dates, one in october and one in february, so you see it could easily run into an extra academic year. Also I would always ask myself "What if I had repeated?". But I'm considering both options! :)

It wouldn't take longer though! Repeating the Leaving is an extra academic year too! And what if you didn't get the points again? No offence intended but I know people that's happened to.

Let's say you repeat LC and get the points. You'll have the repeat year plus three years in college PLUS the probation year. If you don't get a full term year teaching (conditions of probation) within five years after graduating you have to go back to college. Jobs are thin on the ground at the moment and subbing for part of a year doesn't count so this is possible. Also newbies just out of college tend to just get subbing as they are not fully qualified without the probation year done. That's four years PLUS a probation year PLUS a possible later return to college. That's four academic years (same as if you do Arts and the PDE) and a probation year, so five years to qualify MINIMUM.

That's assuming you got the points. It could end up where you don't and have to do Arts and the PDE anyway and that's five academic years. So five years to qualify.

If you don't repeat and do Arts (guaranteed entry with your points) you'll have three years in college plus one year for the diploma. No probation. Four years. END OF.

Plus Arts will give you far more job options and you'll get to study two subjects you like. Primary Teaching in college is horrible (all 9-5 everyday).

DO IT!!! :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NiaBlack

So... I got 420. Which considering I was suffering from mental health issues (depression + anxiety) from the end of 4th Year on is really good for me (I missed a lot of 5th Year and only started feeling better maybe a month before the mocks in 6th). I passed everything which is more than I could have hoped for. I failed all but one physics test in the two years I studied it so I'm very proud of my C3 in that subject.

My highest grades were my two B2s in German and English - which is good because those are the two listed on the entry requirements for the course I want. Might check my German paper though as I felt I did appallingly on my English and my German went well so it should have been better. I did all Higher Level, except for Irish in which I got an A2. My oral must have dragged me down there as my standard of written Irish for pass is really good (I did Higher Level until November of 6th Year).

My course was 355 last year with the average points of accepted applicants being 385. My target was 400, which I reached, but I still hope it will be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Wrong. If you are pulled up on your grades and meet the minimum entry for the course that was on your CAO (provided it's not random selection or second round) then you are entitled to a place. No ifs no buts.

It may well be October by the time you get the results but believe me there'll be students on that course who have skipped lectures and missed almost as much as you. Catching up isn't impossible.

I went back to college in December of one year before. Was grand.

Repeat the Leaving!? MADNESS!!!! Accept the place on the course you are offered or do a PLC course or something. Honestly, there is always another way to get into a course.

I was obviously misinformed. We were told when doing my leaving cert that if the course filled up and no one dropped out by then, then there would be no way of getting the course until next year. If it was full then it was full. Nothing that could be done.

Sorry about that :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

Meowth wrote: »
    Got a B1 :( same with biz :( I couldn't believe it :/
    I didn't see anyone in my economics class so I don't know how they did :O

really thought i'd get an A2 at least cause i've been getting A's for the past two years.. i got a C1 in the exam? so so disappointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Five hundred points!! Delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

505, needed 400-420 so I'm very happy :). Did anyone do Ag Science? Our class seemed to do pretty bad, got a B2 was expecting an A1 cus I got 99% in project and the paper was handy enough :pac:. Others were in the same both, and some got D's.

Easy subject they said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

One person out of my year of ~160 got an A1 :O Everyone was really pissed about the results.. one guy who wants to study it in the London School of Economics got a C3 and got an A1 in the mocks! Everyone's so annoyed..

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

I'm SO delighted :D
    Irish (H): B2
    English (H): A1
    Maths (H): A2
    French (H): A1
    Chemistry (H): A2
    Physics (H): A1
    Appied Maths (H): B2

SO that's 585 including the Maths points... To say I'm ecstatic would be a complete understatement!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 afrocod

spurious wrote: »
    Yes. Not sure exactly when.

**edit
    Last year it was 30th August, which was a Tuesday.
    Nice one, thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

How did everyone do in phys/chem? :P don't know anyone else who took the subject, gots the B3. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Onlinemart.ie

Got 105 points but very very happy with it passed all my exams and even got an A in Business 105 is prob ****e to you but i am very happy just like getting 600 points to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Got 105 points but very very happy with it passed all my exams and even got an A in Business 105 is prob ****e to you but i am very happy just like getting 600 points to me.

Ah man you got what I wanted, the A in Business :p .. Going to get it rechecked though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Onlinemart.ie

Ah man you got what I wanted, the A in Business :p .. Going to get it rechecked though

Sorry to hear that what did u get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Congrats to ye all. Remember, some of ye get 600plus and are reasonably happy, others work their socks off for much lower points. All that matters really is ye're happy and get yer course. Be careful out tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

David1994 wrote: »
    Absolutely devastated..I might post the results later because at the moment I cannot even look at the sheet :/
    Well done to all ye lads who got what ye wanted!

Try not to be too upset, David. I know that's easy to say.

It kind of makes it worse with friends whooping with delight and planning for brilliant futures.

None of us knows if we have a future, never mind a brilliant one.

When you feel able to look at the sheet, consider your options, discuss it with your career guidance teacher or School Principal, whether to go for re-checks or repeats, or a PLC or a different slower route towards your goal.

Hang on in there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I know people have higher standards/expectations than others but DO NOT be disappointed with 530, 510 etc. like I've seen in some posts. That's a serious achievement and if the system means getting points like that disappoints you, then that's messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goldensyrup

I got
    English (H) A1
    Maths (O) A1
    Irish (H) A1
    French (H) A1
    Chem (H)A2
    Accounting (H) A1
    Biology (H) A1
    overall im ecstatic i cant believe it!!:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

DylanII wrote: »
    I was obviously misinformed. We were told when doing my leaving cert that if the course filled up and no one dropped out by then, then there would be no way of getting the course until next year. If it was full then it was full. Nothing that could be done.

Sorry about that :(

That's what I was always told as well. As the other poster said you are entitled to a place if you get the points via rechecks, but if the college hasn't got a place for you because the course is full then I think they can make you wait until the next year, and you get offered it in Round 0 as you qualified the previous year, kinda like deferred applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kilfeather94

hey guys, checked my results online today instead of picking them up at the school. just wondering, but does anyone know if I'm supposed to pick up some sort of form or anything at my school? is there anything I'm supposed to get after checking the results online?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 123Laura

Wesc. wrote: »
    One person out of my year of ~160 got an A1 :O Everyone was really pissed about the results.. one guy who wants to study it in the London School of Economics got a C3 and got an A1 in the mocks! Everyone's so annoyed..
    Hey, yeah I got an A1 in Economics but I can largely attribute that to the way I revised the subject. My teacher was so crap so I just learnt off a load of notes that the institute gave me in a revision course, the questions repeat every few years and as I had read through the answers of all the past paper questions in every single topic (They gave us worked solutions) I knew exactly what would be on the marking scheme and adapted my answers as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    If you don't repeat and do Arts (guaranteed entry with your points) you'll have three years in college plus one year for the diploma. No probation. Four years. END OF.

You're assuming that they will be accepted straight away onto the PDE after graduating, which is not always the case. So many people I know have been rejected because the demand is so high, and many have gone to England to qualify, which doesn't fully qualify you to teach in Ireland. So be careful. Lots also take a year after graduating to get some teaching experience to boost their application, which entails an extra year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

gutenberg wrote: »
    You're assuming that they will be accepted straight away onto the PDE after graduating, which is not always the case. So many people I know have been rejected because the demand is so high, and many have gone to England to qualify, which doesn't fully qualify you to teach in Ireland. So be careful. Lots also take a year after graduating to get some teaching experience to boost their application, which entails an extra year.

..and then there are no jobs in teaching in Ireland anyway when you're qualified. It's criminal that the teacher training colleges and courses still keep taking in applicants, hand over fist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 goldensyrup

hey guys, checked my results online today instead of picking them up at the school. just wondering, but does anyone know if I'm supposed to pick up some sort of form or anything at my school? is there anything I'm supposed to get after checking the results online?

the only form we were given with our results was a form to fill out if we wanted to view our scripts

Advertisement